Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

I never realised that storage tab was there.

Now I just need to find out where the gently caress this 90gb of movies and 60gb of songs it thinks is on my mac comes from and where it is.

Because I doubt I have even a couple of gigs combined. My itunes is empty and I dont use this laptop to download anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neck face
Mar 13, 2009

closed casket

duck monster posted:

I never realised that storage tab was there.

Now I just need to find out where the gently caress this 90gb of movies and 60gb of songs it thinks is on my mac comes from and where it is.

Because I doubt I have even a couple of gigs combined. My itunes is empty and I dont use this laptop to download anything.

It was introduced in Lion I think, seems to be causing more confusion than it's really worth though! I have no videos or music on here, but it still reports a few gigs of both. All I can think is it's picking it up from the handful of games I have.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Incidently, has anyone had trouble with routers crashing when transfering very large files? I'm using a linux box with netatalk hooked via wire to the router and then both of the macs (and ipad, and phone etc etc) on wireless.

I've notice sometimes when transfering files over a few gig it can cause the router to lock up.

Might not be the right thread for it, but its appletalk so maybe its something about apple filesharing thats loving my lovely routers mind.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

duck monster posted:

Incidently, has anyone had trouble with routers crashing when transfering very large files? I'm using a linux box with netatalk hooked via wire to the router and then both of the macs (and ipad, and phone etc etc) on wireless.

I've notice sometimes when transfering files over a few gig it can cause the router to lock up.

Might not be the right thread for it, but its appletalk so maybe its something about apple filesharing thats loving my lovely routers mind.

What router is it? It's also not Appletalk unless you have a bunch of old Macs.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Bob Morales posted:

What router is it? It's also not Appletalk unless you have a bunch of old Macs.

duck monster posted:

I'm using a linux box with netatalk hooked via wire

Duck, please try using NFS, SMB, FTP, or something else to see whether it happens with other protocols.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

duck monster posted:

I'm using a linux box with netatalk hooked via wire to the router and then both of the macs (and ipad, and phone etc etc) on wireless.

Appletalk is an ancient network protocol (or runs on one called LocalTalk) and AFP (the current version, like the last ten years, at least) is a file sharing protocol (that runs over TCP/IP), right?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
That's correct, though it could also run over Ethernet. Duck may be wrong (and confusing it with afpd), but AppleTalk support can still be explicitly enabled in netatalk, and he may have.

AFP can also run over AppleTalk.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

evol262 posted:

That's correct, though it could also run over Ethernet. Duck may be wrong (and confusing it with afpd), but AppleTalk support can still be explicitly enabled in netatalk, and he may have.

AFP can also run over AppleTalk.
AFP is the presentation/application layer protocol, for file sharing amongst Macs (et al.). AppleTalk itself was a suite of protocols that was relatively independent of other networking schemas at the time. It could run over Ethernet (which could - and frequently did, as time went on- carry AppleTalk at the same time as TCP/IP) or Token Ring, but in its relative heyday it was usually carried over LocalTalk.

AppleTalk hasn't been supported by any modern OS since its removal from OS X back in 2009 (and even then, support for AppleTalk-only servers died in 2005). If you're using AFP in these modern times (which is sometimes [incorrectly] referred to as AppleTalk), you're using AFP over TCP.

:eng101:

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Sonic Dude posted:

AFP is the presentation/application layer protocol, for file sharing amongst Macs (et al.). AppleTalk itself was a suite of protocols that was relatively independent of other networking schemas at the time. It could run over Ethernet (which could - and frequently did, as time went on- carry AppleTalk at the same time as TCP/IP) or Token Ring, but in its relative heyday it was usually carried over LocalTalk.

AppleTalk hasn't been supported by any modern OS since its removal from OS X back in 2009 (and even then, support for AppleTalk-only servers died in 2005). If you're using AFP in these modern times (which is sometimes [incorrectly] referred to as AppleTalk), you're using AFP over TCP.

:smug:

Ok; if things that run netatalk (Solaris, AIX, *BSD, Linux, probably OSX, ironically) don't count as "any modern OS". While I realize that AppleTalk itself is a suite of protocols with the same relation to TCP/IP as IPX, I was not misspeaking when I said that Duck could still quite literally be running AppleTalk. Even an "AppleTalk-only" server (really, TCP, but you're not required to present anything over TCP with netatalk either).

AFP != AppleTalk. AppleTalk is still supported by netatalk. Duck is running netatalk. Says he's running AppleTalk. Unlikely, but plausible.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

evol262 posted:

AFP != AppleTalk. AppleTalk is still supported by netatalk. Duck is running netatalk. Says he's running AppleTalk. Unlikely, but plausible.

But unless he has a bunch of old Macs accessing it, 'Appletalk' isn't crashing his router, AFP is (or could be). I was just saying he's not using 'appletalk', he's confusing the terminology like you suggested, and you also suggested trying another protocol to share files like SMB, which is also a good idea.

We're all just spergin'

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

evol262 posted:

Ok; if things that run netatalk (Solaris, AIX, *BSD, Linux, probably OSX, ironically) don't count as "any modern OS". While I realize that AppleTalk itself is a suite of protocols with the same relation to TCP/IP as IPX, I was not misspeaking when I said that Duck could still quite literally be running AppleTalk. Even an "AppleTalk-only" server (really, TCP, but you're not required to present anything over TCP with netatalk either).

Nothing is accessing the AFP shares through AppleTalk. They're only using TCP. Not only do the clients probably not support it (provided they're not PPC Macs with 10.3 or earlier) but the current version of afpd (in netatalk) uses AFP 3.3, which is TCP-only.

Don't get your panties in a wad. I posted that information to provide an explanation, not as the directed personal attack you assume it was.

x-virge
May 25, 2003

wolffenstein posted:

FWIW I restored my iPhone 4's encrypted iTunes backup to my iPhone 5, so I wouldn't have to retype passwords. Unencrypted iTunes backups and iCloud backups don't backup the keychain for security reasons.

Minor point (and iOS-related), but:

- Unencrypted iTunes backups don't save passwords.
- Encrypted iTunes backups save passwords and restore passwords to any device.
- iCloud backups save passwords, but will only restore passwords to the exact same device.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yeah, the magic of iCloud backups is a little disappointing when most of yours apps start from scratch.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Sonic Dude posted:

Don't get your panties in a wad. I posted that information to provide an explanation, not as the directed personal attack you assume it was.

I didn't assume it was a personal attack. I assumed that netatalk's documentation (which specifically refers to DDP) was correct. Even though they're using AFP 3.3, you can still remove "-noddp" to get support for AFP over AppleTalk. We use this on Leopard clients hitting OpenIndiana servers (don't ask) every day.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Yeah its afp. My bad. Uh, I guess I can throw samba on and see if it does it.

Though now I think about it, I used to use SMB but it would just refuse files over a couple of gigs. Granted I probably hadn't configured SMB right.

duck monster fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Oct 4, 2012

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Ha! I just found out Disk Utility doesn't let you manage NFS mounts any more. It doesn't remove existing mounts or anything, it just prevents you from removing them or adding new ones.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
Can anyone recommend a good lightweight virtualization tool for boot camp that plays nice with mountain lion and multiple monitors? I've been using VMWare Fusion and it seriously sucks. Every time I go to full screen I get the screens mapped to different desktops in OSX.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
In OS X is there anyway to temporarily turn off your second display without unplugging it, etc.?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Experto Crede posted:

In OS X is there anyway to temporarily turn off your second display without unplugging it, etc.?

...can you press the power button?

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

ConfusedUs posted:

...can you press the power button?

Not good enough. In Windows you can basically disable your second screen so no signal gets through and it doesn't try to extend apps onto it. That's what I want now and then.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Experto Crede posted:

I'm thinking it would be 'un-Apple like' to have that feature.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
If you have the option, switching to the Integrated graphics will turn off the 2d display.

I only know this because of the 15 minutes I spent swearing at the computer and wondering why my second display wasn't working.

Didion
Mar 16, 2009
Reset Safari two days ago, been forced to reboot Safari, like, twice a day since then due to memory leak. Is this a known issue or am I mistaken as to what it could be?

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Experto Crede posted:

Switch to fullscreen mode!

(Alternative answer, use gfxstatus to switch to integrated mode. Like Zenostein, I too spent much time puzzled shitless as to why my second monitor didnt work only to realise it relies on the AMD gpu which I had supressed with gfxstatus for battery reasons.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

10.8.2 and 10.7.5 Supplemental Updates are out.

"The OS X v10.8.2 Supplemental Update is recommended for all users running OS X Mountain Lion v10.8.2 and includes the following fixes:

- Resolves an issue that may cause certain Japanese characters to appear incorrectly in Mail
- Allows Safari to access secure sites when parental controls are enabled
- Addresses an issue that may prevent systems with more than 64 GB of RAM from starting up"

"The OS X v10.7.5 Supplemental Update is recommended for all users running OS X Lion v10.7.5 and includes the following fixes:

- Resolves an issue that may cause Time Machine backups to take a very long time to complete
- Addresses an issue that prevents certain applications signed with a Developer ID from launching"

diehlr
Apr 17, 2003
Remember not to use restricted post tags next time.
I recently upgraded to an SSD in my Macbook Pro. I had previously run Snow Leopard, purchased and installed Lion, and subsequently purchased and installed Mountain Lion. I popped the SSD in, performed the install-over-Internet routine, then connected my old drive up via USB adapter and ran Migration Assistant. After 4 hours of combined time, I discover my computer had installed 10.7 but transferred all my 10.8 data from my old drive. Why in the world would it do this?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

My imac is getting really loving long in the tooth and I'm thinking of just replacing it with a Cinema Display that I can hook up to my MBA as I really barely use my iMac anymore anyway. The problem is that I have two loving enormous libraries that are hooked up to said iMac: iPhoto and iTunes, and my MBA's SSD is far to small to effectively carry either of them at all. Is there a way to set up a NAS and have the libraries based on that device so all my machines can access them at home? I'm asking the software thread because I'm not sure if iphoto and itunes can work in a NAS at all.

diehlr
Apr 17, 2003
Remember not to use restricted post tags next time.
You'd probably be much better off using a Thunderbolt based external drive. I can't imagine storing iTunes on a NAS would be anything but slow and quirky.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

diehlr posted:

You'd probably be much better off using a Thunderbolt based external drive. I can't imagine storing iTunes on a NAS would be anything but slow and quirky.

The thing is I would like to access iTunes from other machines in the house as well. If I'm in the basement doing work on the office iMac there I would like to listen to music stored in my upstairs iTunes library, and if the MBA isn't hooked up to it, then the drive won't be connected to anything. Same with iPhoto; I'd like the photos to be accessible from any Mac in the house.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
In case anyone is on the fence about buying the Alfred Powerpack - I just took the plunge and my only regret is that I didn't do it sooner. It's great, and well worth the money.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

The thing is I would like to access iTunes from other machines in the house as well. If I'm in the basement doing work on the office iMac there I would like to listen to music stored in my upstairs iTunes library, and if the MBA isn't hooked up to it, then the drive won't be connected to anything. Same with iPhoto; I'd like the photos to be accessible from any Mac in the house.

Could you not put everything on the office iMac/another mac that is always on and use home sharing?

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
With a good NAS, it should work fine (not as fast as a thunderbolt drive of course). You can move the iPhoto and iTunes libraries to it by just copying them over (assuming your iTunes library is consolidated; if not, consolidate first).

Then on each computer you want to use the libraries from, hold option while you I open iTunes and iPhoto. This will let you choose the new library location in the NAS. You should only have to do that once.

Big caveat: with this method you are sharing the libraries between multiple computers. YOU CAN'T DO THIS SIMULTANEOUSLY. By which I mean you can't have iTunes open on two computers at the same time, or god knows what will happen. If you can remember to close iTunes in your laptop before moving to the other computer (and vice versa) it shouldn't be a problem. Same with iPhoto of course.

Edit: spellings

Choadmaster fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Oct 6, 2012

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

diehlr posted:

good NASes are great for media sharing, actually.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Is there any way to see what caused a Mac to crash?

I put my old Macbook pro to sleep earlier today. When I tried to wake it, it would not. The chassis and keyboard were quite hot to the touch.

I wonder what went wrong. It obviously went to sleep at the time. My external display also went to sleep, the fans died down, and the front light started pulsing--all like usual.

It just wouldn't wake and was really hot to the touch.

Edit: I pulled the battery, let it cool off, and it seems fine.

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

ConfusedUs posted:

Is there any way to see what caused a Mac to crash?

If it had a kernel panic, it should have told you next time you booted it. There should be a log in Console under System Diagnostic Reports, look for a file starting with Kernel_....

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

chimz posted:

If it had a kernel panic, it should have told you next time you booted it. There should be a log in Console under System Diagnostic Reports, look for a file starting with Kernel_....

No Kernal panic message or log (there is a log from Sept 11th, but I remember that happening).

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

ConfusedUs posted:

Sept 11th, but I remember that happening).

:911:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
Yeah, most good NAS units have iTunes-specific media sharing built into the firmware nowadays. They're great for this purpose.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

OpenOffice or LibreOffice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

mediaphage posted:

Yeah, most good NAS units have iTunes-specific media sharing built into the firmware nowadays. They're great for this purpose.
In my experience they only do the old iTunes sharing, not Home Sharing. It's not nearly as robust of a solution.