Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Deadspin content is wildly varied from absolute garbage (let's get a penis shot of x famous athlete) to some really amazing stuff. Bleacher Report is all absolute garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008
Yeah, I'm gonna agree with most people here and say that as much as Deadspin does lovely stuff, they're no worse than ESPN in many ways and occasionally the site showcases some fantastic writing. Honestly, loath as I am to say it, Yahoo Sports might top either in consistency.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Deadspin would be much more tolerable if they didn't do tons of lovely stuff while simultaneously calling out everyone else (particularly ESPN) for shoddy journalism. But yes they are certainly a hell of a lot better than Bleacher Report (sorry, Jacobi :( )

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
As bad as ESPN can be, I don't think they've attempted to crowdsource athlete dick pictures.

Dick Williams
Aug 25, 2005
I think the problem with Deadspin is that they can't decide whether or not they want to be a Serious Sports Reporting Website or a sports gossip site. So for all the good stuff they actually do put out, it gets invalidated by all the penis shots and people loving in bathroom stalls. Their overall product is very schizophrenic

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Mike Tirico's little blurb thing he does on ESPN radio was pretty terrible today.

He made a "should we just let the stats and spreadsheets play the games now?" then "Yes the Angels have a better record but they're a third place team." followed by "WAR. What is it good for? Third place in the AL West"

I just don't understand how there is this misconception that Sabremetics is about predicting games or stats or something when all it is attempting to do is quantify what has already happened more accurately than AVG, RBI, ERA and other outdated stats.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
People are extremely suspicious of weighting statistics without a logical correlation on why the weight exists.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

All I've been hearing from the traditionalist sports media this week is variations on "TROUT SHOULDN'T WIN THE MVP BECAUSE THE ANGELS AREN'T GOING TO THE PLAYOFFS, THAT'S ALL THAT MATTERS!".

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

It is literally impossible for sportswriters to understand that a player can be good on a bad baseball team even though the best loving player is worth at the very most maybe 10 wins out of a 162 game season.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Tirico also pointed out that Cabrera had all the big hits and HRs down the stretch for the Tigers while failing to mention that that would have all been moot if the White Sox hadn't poo poo the bed.

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

You really don't need to read this article since you can pretty much just fill in the content after seeing the title: It’s Jay Cutler’s fault that he’s a distraction after big win .

I actually think Morrissey is a step down from Mariotti.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

R.D. Mangles posted:

It is literally impossible for sportswriters to understand that a player can be good on a bad baseball team even though the best loving player is worth at the very most maybe 10 wins out of a 162 game season.
I've also started hearing the argument today that 'well, Trout didn't help them that much, since the Angels went like 62-60 after he was called up'. Yes, because as we all know one player makes all the difference on a 25 man baseball team. Ughhhhhhh.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The funny thing about that Cutler article is that if he was a vet who'd won a super bowl, people would be praising him his leadership.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

FlamingLiberal posted:

I've also started hearing the argument today that 'well, Trout didn't help them that much, since the Angels went like 62-60 after he was called up'. Yes, because as we all know one player makes all the difference on a 25 man baseball team. Ughhhhhhh.

Is this true though? This is from Posnanski who's been known to make mistakes, but he's got the Angels as being amazing after calling him up:

quote:

And to take it one step further: The Angels were 6-14 before they called up Trout. That means they are 81-56 since his call-up, which happens to be the best record in the American League over that stretch. To give Cabrera the nod because the Tigers make the playoffs and the Angels do not would be a level of loopy logic perhaps unmatched in recent memory.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Posnanski is probably right, and the radio host I was listening to is probably wrong as usual.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Grittybeard posted:

Is this true though? This is from Posnanski who's been known to make mistakes, but he's got the Angels as being amazing after calling him up:

They were 6-14:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/LAA/2012-schedule-scores.shtml

Trout's first game this year was the Angels' 21st team game:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/gl.cgi?id=troutmi01&t=b&year=2012

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Since we can't rely on "invented" statistics to determine the MVP, it looks like we'll have to give it to whoever has the highest of the following non-"invented" stats:

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders
Sometimes I wonder what would have happened if I had stayed on as a B/R editor back when they first launched.

Probably nothing.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.
Tom Verducci, who's usually excellent at personal profiles of players, got a chance to get in with Davey Johnson and the horrible poo poo he's been through the last ten years.

Unfortunately, Verducci fell pretty short. :-/ For all that Johnson's been through, Verducci meanders around the points and doesn't draw hard enough an actual profile. We get an idea of Johnson, both who he is and what he's been through, but not enough to actually get how this man, who's seen his own daughter die, manage to come out on top with a good attitude and somehow not only fuction, but thrive. The main question, Why did he even get back into baseball, isn't even asked.

Now their stories published in the magazine are subscription only online. Might have to not renew my subscription.

What happened to SI? They used to be the peak of sports writing.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

morestuff posted:

SF Weekly just published a big takedown of Bleacher Report. Nothing that you probably don't already know, but reading all the self-loathing from those on the inside is interesting.

That's a pretty scathing takedown guys. Who's your next target, The Mountainview Elementary Kids' Kopy?

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden

I CHALLENGE THEE posted:

I think the problem with Deadspin is that they can't decide whether or not they want to be a Serious Sports Reporting Website or a sports gossip site. So for all the good stuff they actually do put out, it gets invalidated by all the penis shots and people loving in bathroom stalls. Their overall product is very schizophrenic

Not only is this accurate, but this really applies to all of Gawker Media's properties. Mixed in with some pretty good commentary and reporting pieces is pure click fodder that you have to wonder how it works.

Also Gawker's commenters are subhuman please no one read them oh god :gonk:

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
At least Deadspin has, to the best of my knowledge, yet to publish video of an actual rape. So they're beating out Jezebel.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Mornacale posted:

At least Deadspin has, to the best of my knowledge, yet to publish video of an actual rape. So they're beating out Jezebel.

Maybe.

GQ Magazine posted:

For the rest of the afternoon, Daulerio and the woman traded five e-mails. Finally, before handing the matter off to Darbyshire, Daulerio wrote, "It's not getting taken down. I've said that. And it's not a very serious matter. It is a dumb mistake you (or whomever) made while drunk in college. Happens to the best of us."

The next day, though, he and Darbyshire decided that removing the video was "the best course of action," Darbyshire says. But by then it had migrated to other sites. And a couple of days after that, Daulerio received a panicked call from the girl's father. "He had this basic breakdown on the phone," Daulerio recalled. "The guy is like, 'You gotta understand, I've just been dealing with watching my daughter get hosed in a pile of piss for the past two days.'"

Daulerio now says he wishes he hadn't run the video. "It wasn't funny," he says. "It was possibly rape. I was trying to kind of put it in that same category [as the Dallas video]. I didn't really look at the thing close enough to realize there's maybe something a little more sinister going on here and a little more disturbing."

http://www.gq.com/sports/profiles/201102/aj-daulerio-deadspin-brett-favre-story#ixzz28JpKqZbT

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I don't know, man, pictures of athletes' dongs is pretty interesting journalism, I have to say. Moreso than reading articles about grit and hustle or whatever.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Panzeh posted:

I don't know, man, pictures of athletes' dongs is pretty interesting journalism, I have to say. Moreso than reading articles about grit and hustle or whatever.

It's more intellectually honest, at the very least.

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

The problem with Deadspin was that Daulerio is human trash and would write articles about making GBS threads his pants. But now he's gone and the quality of the site has rebounded significantly in the last few months and I think the tone has become a bit more self aware of their own shortcomings. Considering the general dearth of good writing, I'll take it where I can get it even if it means skimming through stupid posts or in Grantland's case being reminded Bill Barnwell gets paid to write.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

Also Gawker's commenters are subhuman please no one read them oh god :gonk:

All commenters on all websites are subhuman.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Capt Murphy posted:

The problem with Deadspin was that Daulerio is human trash and would write articles about making GBS threads his pants. But now he's gone and the quality of the site has rebounded significantly in the last few months and I think the tone has become a bit more self aware of their own shortcomings. Considering the general dearth of good writing, I'll take it where I can get it even if it means skimming through stupid posts or in Grantland's case being reminded Bill Barnwell gets paid to write.

Fwiw On their annoying twitter rankings they ripped on themselves pretty hard.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton
Wilbon vs DC. This one was absolutely hilarious.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/05/michael-wilbon-dan-steinberg-espn-dc-fans_n_1942866.html

This Huffingpost article covers the entire war but to put it simply:

Wilbon says DC is a nothing sports town, once again showing disdain to the city he lived in for three decades. ESPN anchor Bram Weinstein and Washington Post Blogger Dan Steinberg call him out. Wilbon back tracks, takes personal shots. Steinberg eviscerates him. Wilbon, standing against the ropes decides to throw a chair at Steinberg, realizes he looks like an even bigger rear end than he already is, sprain his knee backtracking. Then everyone chills and hopefully Wilbon stays in Arizona.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Parlett316 posted:

Wilbon vs DC. This one was absolutely hilarious.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/05/michael-wilbon-dan-steinberg-espn-dc-fans_n_1942866.html

This Huffingpost article covers the entire war but to put it simply:

Wilbon says DC is a nothing sports town, once again showing disdain to the city he lived in for three decades. ESPN anchor Bram Weinstein and Washington Post Blogger Dan Steinberg call him out. Wilbon back tracks, takes personal shots. Steinberg eviscerates him. Wilbon, standing against the ropes decides to throw a chair at Steinberg, realizes he looks like an even bigger rear end than he already is, sprain his knee backtracking. Then everyone chills and hopefully Wilbon stays in Arizona.

You can't post this without the Wilbon meltdown on Facebook:

quote:

Greater Washington, D.C. is a wonderful place to live; I know because I've been here more than 30 years. It is NOT the country's best sports town, not close. I was quoted as saying that in a current issue of ESPN The Magazine and am taking a lot of flack for it, which is fine. But it's annoying as hell that a couple of colleagues, Dan Steinberg of The Post and Bram Weinstein of ESPN, felt the need to whine like little babies because I didn't speak a company line that agrees with their hypersensitive feelings.

Saying that places like New York, Boston, Philly, Chicago, Detroit and Los Angeles are better sports towns than D.C. is an easy and obvious observation to make, and you'd have to be a cheerleading fraud to be offended with anybody who makes it. It's not an insult to say D.C. isn't among the best sports towns in America. It's a pretty good sports town...but not great. One of the reasons I've chosen to live here since 1980 and loved doing so is that by-and-large most people here don't definte themselves by how the professional teams here do. I've always found that refreshing, enlightened.

Greater Washington is a more literate place than some of those I mentioned as better sports cities, has an greater range of attractions than some of them. It's too bad that Steinberg and Weinstein are so limited that they think making a fair observation about Washington as a sports town is a value judgement on greater Washington itself.

Weinstein, who is a very talented anchor, demonstrates his professionalism by calling me a "carpetbagger" as if the job of a columnist--and that's what I was for 20 years at The Post--is to simply tell readers/viewers/listeners what they want to hear and make excuses for local readers regardless of the reality of a situation. I'd like to think Bram can see the value of saying something that isn't cheerleading, or making what's seen as a critical observation...but maybe he can't. Maybe he's afraid to offend his homies...which is part of the problem with mainstream media now.

Steinberg occupies a position that is very dear to those of us who've held it over the years: sports columnist at The Post. If all he wants to do is be popular--and I think Dan is better than that--then the readers of The Washington Post sports section won't be very well served. Telling readers how great they are as sports fans was never one of my priorities. The only thing worse than people who can't stand to hear an unpopular or unflattering opinion is those that are too afraid to state one.

quote:

I've seen increasingly how impressed Dan Steinberg is with himself and his non-column. What I wonder is whether he's smart enough to know that when he takes a shot at Earvin Johnson flying to a celebrity roast at Landsdowne Steinberg also is belittling Don Graham's massive charitable crusade to raise millions of dollars for tuition of D.C. High school children. Don Graham, last I checked, is still Steinberg's boss…or does he think it's the other way around? And when Don asked me to co-host that golf tournament to raise those dollars, I was thrilled to do it. If Dan wants to match Earvin's donation to help a D.C. Kid pay college tuition, it would be welcome. Then again, it's fair to wonder about the judgement of someone who would show up looking like a slovenly bum at a memorial service for the late Mr. Abe Pollin. If you're going to wrap yourself in D.C. Sports patriotism, Dan, have the decency to come to a public service honoring the patriarch of D.C. Sports (while representing The Post, no less) in a professional manner. Then again, I'm sure you'll find some excuse for that, too. You and your tag-team partner, Bram Weinstein, seem to think I'm under some obligation to run my opinions past you, like you're my editors…or even qualified to be that. Anytime, anyplace you want to post and compare resumes or career highlights I'm more than happy to engage. Until then, I'll form my own opinions, popular or not, without seeking your permission.

And of course, Drew Magary had to have his say.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

I don't know where else to put this but Mike Francesa is announcing that WFAN is moving to 101.9.

This is a pretty big deal all things considered. Apparently the Yankees wanted to be on FM and this is how it's gonna happen.

gaxsezu
Jan 28, 2008
I thought WFAN broadcasted the Mets?

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

gaxsezu posted:

I thought WFAN broadcasted the Mets?

They did.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

haljordan posted:

What's really hilarious is that deadspin linked to this article and trashed Bleacher Report for simply being one big SEO revenue machine, which is EXACTLY what deadspin does as well. The writer actually had the balls to use the phrase "This isn't journalism!!!"

Deadspin is not an SEO revenue machine. Bleacher Report built themselves as a content farm in the same vain as eHow. They've tried to bring in some good writers to add some legitimacy and avoid getting hammered by Google like the other content farms. The Huffington Post approach to SEO. But Deadspin does nothing like that at all. They care about pageviews, but their traffic doesn't completely rely on search.

MourningView posted:

Deadspin would be much more tolerable if they didn't do tons of lovely stuff while simultaneously calling out everyone else (particularly ESPN) for shoddy journalism. But yes they are certainly a hell of a lot better than Bleacher Report (sorry, Jacobi :( )

But Deadspin isn't trying to be old school journalists. They aren't claiming to be a news source. It's like bashing The Daily Show for being critical of traditional media.

I'm not a big fan of Deadspin. They have a great piece every now and then but do a lot of dumb stuff as well. But ESPN pretends to be a reputable news outlet while Deadspin doesn't.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Niwrad posted:

They aren't claiming to be a news source.

They do all the time. They try to break stories, do a lot of crowing when they successfully do so, or get pissed off (justifiably, I should say) when they aren't properly credited for it.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Oct 8, 2012

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Vertical Lime posted:

I don't know where else to put this but Mike Francesa is announcing that WFAN is moving to 101.9.

This is a pretty big deal all things considered. Apparently the Yankees wanted to be on FM and this is how it's gonna happen.

Lame. It was nice having the Yankees on WCBS since it meant I could get the signal throughout most of New England without switching stations. That does mean less of the population will be subject to him though, so that's good.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

MassRayPer posted:

Lame. It was nice having the Yankees on WCBS since it meant I could get the signal throughout most of New England without switching stations. That does mean less of the population will be subject to him though, so that's good.

It's staying on 660 too for a period between a long time and forever.

gaxsezu
Jan 28, 2008
I will never understand how people can stand to listen to Francesa.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

gaxsezu posted:

He exists to troll the gently caress out of Mets and Jets fans.

This is a surprisingly good business model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

gaxsezu posted:

Mix of ironic listening and great interview guests.