Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

kastein posted:

So if your starter won't work on your OBD-I XJ, even though you can hear/feel the starter relay ticking in the PDC, check the fuse for the rear window defogger.

:psyboom:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Yeah that's weird as gently caress.

I got my Rubicon rails installed today. :) I need to find some bigger washers for the little studs that go through the pinch seam though, the ones I have actually fit perfectly through the hole instead of grabbing the seam.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I only figured it out through serendipity. Starter relay was clicking but no juice at the starter solenoid post, which I knew worked because I'd just turned it over by jumping it directly to the battery. Fellow goon ACEofsnett took a look at it and said "well maybe that 60A fuse position actually needs something in it..." so I said what the hell, might as well try it. But I miscounted the fuse slots and ended up installing the fuse in the heated rear window defogger slot instead of the slot for the 60A fuse, which was completely disconnected. Only realized it when I went to figure out why and discovered that the slot I put the fuse in had a 12ga black/red wire leading from it rather than a 6ga solid red wire.

kastein fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Oct 4, 2012

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

Installed the snorkel on my XJ yesterday:

Got everything right the first time somehow too.

Astryl fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Oct 18, 2013

MAJOR STRYkER
Jan 2, 2008

FIFTY THOUSAND PEOPLE USED TO LIVE HERE...

Do Not Fear Jazz posted:

Installed the snorkel on my XJ yesterday:

Got everything right the first time somehow too.

I want that jeep

Gorillian Dollars
Jan 22, 2012

We are selling to willing buyers at the current fair market price, even if we know it has no value.
Now just add a rudder and you have a submarinejeep.
Maybe a periscope aswel.

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

Gorillian Dollars posted:

Now just add a rudder and you have a submarinejeep.
Maybe a periscope aswel.

I will get right on this.

MAJOR STRYkER posted:

I want that jeep

Literally the only rust on the whole thing is the front doors and leafs, even though it's spent its entire existence in the rust belt.

Magic.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I bought my JK new in March, there's already a couple of spots of body rust around where sidesteps mount. I'll be wire-wheeling/painting over it one of these days.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
The only rust on my 2002 wrangler is on the exhaust hanger. I guess that's one great thing about living in California. $1,700 catalytic converters is one of the bad things :mad:

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

Godholio posted:

I bought my JK new in March, there's already a couple of spots of body rust around where sidesteps mount. I'll be wire-wheeling/painting over it one of these days.

7 months old and already rusting? Isn't there a warranty for stuff like that?

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Astonishing Wang posted:

The only rust on my 2002 wrangler is on the exhaust hanger. I guess that's one great thing about living in California. $1,700 catalytic converters is one of the bad things :mad:

Right now I'm mentally trying to work out how many jeeps I could buy with $1700.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Sandbagger's whole harness (except for two subharnesses I haven't finished yet) is spliced, heatshrunk, and vinyl wrapped. Still runs, so I must have done something right.

Looks like the trans mount may be as easy as using a 95 wrangler trans mount for an ax15 and a few bolts.

Still left: fill trans (fluid already on hand), fill transfer case, fill power steering, fill radiator with actual coolant (used water for test firing), tcase shifter linkage, rearend swap, driveshafts, splice and wrap two subharnesses, trans tunnel blockoff plate, some dash wiring, reinstall dash, install tach, install new fuel sender assembly, install fuel filter, and a bracket for the clutch pedal assembly.

Left to buy: ps fluid, transfer case fluid (a few quarts of atf), coolant, trans mount.

kastein fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Oct 5, 2012

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

kastein posted:

Sandbagger's whole harness (except for two subharnesses I haven't finished yet) is spliced, heatshrunk, and vinyl wrapped. Still runs, so I must have done something right.

Looks like the trans mount may be as easy as using a 95 wrangler trans mount for an ax15 and a few bolts.

Still left: fill trans (fluid already on hand), fill transfer case, fill power steering, fill radiator with actual coolant (used water for test firing), tcase shifter linkage, rearend swap, driveshafts, splice and wrap two subharnesses, trans tunnel blockoff plate, some dash wiring, reinstall dash, install tach, install new fuel sender assembly, install fuel filter, and a bracket for the clutch pedal assembly.

Left to buy: ps fluid, transfer case fluid (a few quarts of atf), coolant, trans mount.

Retaining factory drive shafts?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Rear has an SYE (thus needs a double cardan yoke instead of slip yoke) and the 8.25/231/ax15 instead of 35/207/a999, and the front has changed due to the 231/ax15 (231 has a double cardan front yoke factory, while the 207 had a single cardan yoke.

Fortunately the rear is so short and small diameter that balancing shouldn't be necessary, and both can be fabricated from $30 junkyard XJ front shafts. I am sure someone will say balancing the shaft is needed but my current rear driveshaft in the MJ is one I made myself on my back porch basic fab tools, and it's 4 feet long and like 5" diameter and runs smooth up to 75 or so.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

kastein posted:

Rear has an SYE (thus needs a double cardan yoke instead of slip yoke) and the 8.25/231/ax15 instead of 35/207/a999, and the front has changed due to the 231/ax15 (231 has a double cardan front yoke factory, while the 207 had a single cardan yoke.

Fortunately the rear is so short and small diameter that balancing shouldn't be necessary, and both can be fabricated from $30 junkyard XJ front shafts. I am sure someone will say balancing the shaft is needed but my current rear driveshaft in the MJ is one I made myself on my back porch basic fab tools, and it's 4 feet long and like 5" diameter and runs smooth up to 75 or so.

I've examined this issue using purely scientific means (I rode in Kastein's MJ) and have decided that porch shafts are more than good enough for our purposes.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

BoostCreep posted:

7 months old and already rusting? Isn't there a warranty for stuff like that?

Good point. :downs:

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
Saw this: at the store a day or two ago.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Pine Cone Jones posted:

Saw this: at the store a day or two ago.

M151s are awesome huh?

It's a shame they had to torch most of em.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M151_MUTT

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
Oddly, that wikipedia site brought me to this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willys_FAMAE_Corvo

Is it just me or would these be awesome in a sci-fi movie?

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I should've posted this a while ago - What do you guys think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiM5UpBG5BQ

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Astonishing Wang posted:

I should've posted this a while ago - What do you guys think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiM5UpBG5BQ

it could be. If it's a good size crack, you should be able to feel it with your hands when it's cool.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

:aaa: SHUT THAT OFF

that is definitely NOT an exhaust manifold crack, that's either a horrible piston slap (dropped skirt?), a bad wrist pin, or a bad conrod bearing. Nothing good can come of running that motor more without repairing whatever's wrong with it.

Unless it's something snagged on the belt whipping into things, but I don't think the belt would last that long nor would it make that much noise.

How's the oil pressure at idle?

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

kastein posted:

:aaa: SHUT THAT OFF

that is definitely NOT an exhaust manifold crack, that's either a horrible piston slap (dropped skirt?), a bad wrist pin, or a bad conrod bearing. Nothing good can come of running that motor more without repairing whatever's wrong with it.

Unless it's something snagged on the belt whipping into things, but I don't think the belt would last that long nor would it make that much noise.

How's the oil pressure at idle?

Well poo poo...

The belt isn't hitting anything that I can tell.

Oil pressure while cruising on the freeway is right in the middle at 40, at idle is at a quarter (20psi?)

I've been so set on it being the manifold. I guess I should quit driving it every day. How would you go about fixing something like this? Drop the oil pan?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

If you've been driving it every day, it's either not what I think it is, or it's beyond repair, most likely.

Can you find exactly where the noise is coming from? Lower end of the motor means you've got a big issue, top end means you might be able to get away with a cheaper fix. If it's on the passenger side, it might be cam related, driver side, probably either a bottom end noise or exhaust (but it really doesn't sound like exhaust to me), back of the motor means it could be flexplate/clutch/flywheel/torque converter related but it doesn't sound like that either.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIIW4-pODZA

This is what an enormous intake leak sounds like in case you were wondering.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I'll poke and prod with my mechanics stethoscope. If it's piston related I should be able to tell what's going on by dropping the oil pan right? Maybe I need to go a step further and just rebuild the loving thing. That's one way to learn, right?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

That would work.

I would suggest (unless someone can think of a reason not to) going a slightly different route though - buy a 95/96 to 99 or so engine in known good condition, and a good remanufactured or brand new 0331 head from alabama cylinder heads / odessa etc, and base your new engine build off those. Hell, just bolt the head on with a new fel-pro head gasket and bolts and you shouldn't be out more than 600 total - at least, around here, I can get a 4.0 longblock for 100 at the yard if I pull it myself, and CCH/odessa has newly cast 0331 heads for $450 each.

No telling what you'll find when you drop the pan... if you have a spare vehicle, you can probably get away with a lot more work on the jeep without a spare motor to prepare before beginning work, but in no way is this going to be a one day project.

Dumb question - when you put the new lifters in, did you do a cam as well? Did you do a break-in on the new lifters? I'm not sure if you can replace lifters without doing a cam, nor if you can do lifters without doing a cam break-in. Did you replace the pushrods also?

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

It was pretty cold this morning and my previously sketchy blinkers just gave up the ghost altogether. 2001 XJ. Now they are just solid light, no blinking unless I manually move the lever up and down.

Googling tells me this could be a few things, what is most likely? The flasher? Fuses?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

TheManWithNoName posted:

It was pretty cold this morning and my previously sketchy blinkers just gave up the ghost altogether. 2001 XJ. Now they are just solid light, no blinking unless I manually move the lever up and down.

Googling tells me this could be a few things, what is most likely? The flasher? Fuses?

That's weird--I'd try changing the flasher, it's cheap and easy to swap out.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Anyone in Florida going to Jeeptoberfest this year? I'm meeting up with a couple guys from central fla and headed up there on the saturday.

if wishes were knishes
Mar 5, 2006

Hi I'm Buddy-dot-gif
I put 31/10.5/r15's on my 99 TJ, and now there's a tiny amount of rub on full-lock, do I go hog wild and buy new wheels with a more appropriate backspacing or are wheel spacers an alright substitute? (As far as wheel spacers go, I've been looking at these: http://www.spidertrax.com/products/1997-06-Wrangler-TJ)

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

slipfish posted:

I put 31/10.5/r15's on my 99 TJ, and now there's a tiny amount of rub on full-lock, do I go hog wild and buy new wheels with a more appropriate backspacing or are wheel spacers an alright substitute? (As far as wheel spacers go, I've been looking at these: http://www.spidertrax.com/products/1997-06-Wrangler-TJ)

I've got 1.5" spacers on my 12 JK with 33's and have had 0 issues with them and have done some decent wheeling with them. Spidertrax are some of the most recommended spacers but I run the Rough Country spacers as they were cheaper but made of the same material.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I know people who have run for years on spacers without issue. Make sure you torque em down properly... and expect it to wear your wheel bearings a bit faster.

If you go with the real small kind that just slip over the studs before you put the wheel on, make sure you have enough thread engagement still.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

kastein posted:

I know people who have run for years on spacers without issue. Make sure you torque em down properly... and expect it to wear your wheel bearings a bit faster.

If you go with the real small kind that just slip over the studs before you put the wheel on, make sure you have enough thread engagement still.

I've heard the ones that just slip over the studs are the worst ones. You want the ones that bolt onto the studs and then have their own studs you bolt the wheels onto.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Same. I'd run em if I had no other choice, or they were made out of steel, but most are either cast aluminum (horrible) or some kind of pot metal and that's not good.

if wishes were knishes
Mar 5, 2006

Hi I'm Buddy-dot-gif

mattfl posted:

I've heard the ones that just slip over the studs are the worst ones. You want the ones that bolt onto the studs and then have their own studs you bolt the wheels onto.

kastein posted:

Same. I'd run em if I had no other choice, or they were made out of steel, but most are either cast aluminum (horrible) or some kind of pot metal and that's not good.

If I go with the spacers (looking pretty likely), they're probably going to be the spidertrax ones that I linked.

I assume you just keep an eye on the inner studs (?) every few thousand miles to make sure they aren't going to gently caress up your day?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
If they're decently designed, there's nothing intrinsically wrong with spacers, they're just a rather inelegant solution.

Some vehicles actually come with what are, effectively, bolt-on spacers - the brake drum bolts to the hub, and then the wheel bolts to the brake drum.

If you're concerned, stronger studs and nuts, appropriately increased torquing, and threadlock should do a decent job of offsetting it.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Oct 10, 2012

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

slipfish posted:

If I go with the spacers (looking pretty likely), they're probably going to be the spidertrax ones that I linked.

I assume you just keep an eye on the inner studs (?) every few thousand miles to make sure they aren't going to gently caress up your day?

Yup. If you feel any odd vibrations or hear noises, check em, and check at every tire rotation. The usual.

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

slipfish posted:

As a note, I have a 2 of 1.25" spider trax and 2 of 1.5" rough country ones that I'm not using that I'd sell to you.

My old jeep I bought the 1.5"s for and did fine with it, though I only put maybe 100 miles on them before the tranny went toast. PO on this one put the spidertrax on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj6-build-here-i-go-again-620861/index27.html

Fixed the trans issues in the 6! Having never cracked open a tranny before, this was an awesome victory.