Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.
The next 3D Mario platformer seems like a good place for Nintendo to show they're serious about DLC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Bobnumerotres posted:

If by that you mean it's Wii NSMB upscaled, yeah it is.

It's a brand new game. If you meant that it's in its essence NSMBWii upscaled to HD, then you're half right BUT despite that, brand new game, brand new content.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Louisgod posted:

It's a brand new game. If you meant that it's in its essence NSMBWii upscaled to HD, then you're half right BUT despite that, brand new game, brand new content.

The guy said Mario in HD. I was referring specifically to that part of his post, I even cut it off there.

It's not the same game but the visuals are nowhere near what they could and should be.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
I feel like posting that way will only serve to confuse people at this point.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Bobnumerotres posted:

The guy said Mario in HD. I was referring specifically to that part of his post, I even cut it off there.

It's not the same game but the visuals are nowhere near what they could and should be.

I guess the Mario model itself does not occupy 1920x1080 pixels when rendered.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Bobnumerotres posted:

:psyduck: You're getting a thousand games. I'm just getting NLand and blops, maybe I'll download Nano Assault Neo.

I hope there are demos available for every game so I can try out ZombiU and Tekken Tag Tournament.
I noticed console launches tend to get people to buy a crapload more than they normally would.

Chronojam posted:

I guess the Mario model itself does not occupy 1920x1080 pixels when rendered.
:golfclap:

Yeah it's a new ("New") Mario game in HD, not being what your picture of a new Mario game in HD should be doesn't make it any less of a new game.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

Bobnumerotres posted:

As others have alluded to, it's by definition Mario in HD. I've no doubt the visuals could be improved upon, but they still look quite crisp and attractive to me, especially when compared to basically any other Mario game (though the Galaxy games certainly utilised the Wii's hardware magnificently), and the backgrounds look really nice. Not sure quite what you're expecting from a cartoony, 2D platformer which is a launch title to boot.

OneSizeFitsAll fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Oct 9, 2012

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Not sure quite what you're expecting from a cartoony, 2D platformer which is a launch title to boot.

Something that doesn't look like an up-rez'd NSMB Wii? The last two Rayman games are cartoony 2D platformers too and those games kick the visual poo poo out of NSMBU.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Rake Arms posted:

The next 3D Mario platformer seems like a good place for Nintendo to show they're serious about DLC.

They already proved this with Fire Emblem 13 (Awakening) DLC. It made them something ridiculous like 5 million dollars.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
There's a little New Super Mario Bros. fatigue as well because there have never been so many Mario games with nearly the exact same gameplay. Of all Mario games, Galaxy 1 and 2 obviously are the most similar to each other. 3 and World are very close to one another in raw gameplay but differentiated a lot by a huge jump in art style. The other Mario games, 2d and 3d are quite distinct from one another, except for Mario 1 and 2(Jpn version) which is extremely similar to 1.

But with the New series, four games extremely close to one another in time and extremely close to each other in gameplay, with nearly no art changes. I can see the frustration for the new one especially as jumping to the new system you have higher res and prettier backgrounds, but the models are not that distinguishable from before.

Probably the most egregious thing is they've shown exactly one new power up, the squirrel suit. Now I think there are probably more somewhere in the game, but the idea that you take the previous game, add new levels and just one power up, is going to make some people mad. There's a lot of formulas in Nintendo games a lot of people get tired of. For instance in boss fights in most Nintendo games, once you figure out a weakness, who wants to bet you have to exploit that weakness exactly three times?

But eh, it's not gonna bother me that much.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Am I the only one who thinks the NSMB games look weird? All of them, I mean. Something about the art style is fundamentally unappealing to me.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Tiny Mario was never really meant to be seen in 3D. He just looks weird and you have to see it whenever you get hit.

CrushedB
Jun 2, 2008

Honestly, the only "ugly" NSMB game, to me, is the first one. The enemies look like washed out pre-rendered sprites, and the levels have these really boring colors.

The other ones look just fine. Not great, Nintendo certainly could have done better, but the "plasticky look" has been the artstyle in nearly every 3D Mario game (main and spinoff) post-64 that doesn't include Paper or Galaxy.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

greatn posted:

There's a little New Super Mario Bros. fatigue as well because there have never been so many Mario games with nearly the exact same gameplay. Of all Mario games, Galaxy 1 and 2 obviously are the most similar to each other. 3 and World are very close to one another in raw gameplay but differentiated a lot by a huge jump in art style. The other Mario games, 2d and 3d are quite distinct from one another, except for Mario 1 and 2(Jpn version) which is extremely similar to 1.

But with the New series, four games extremely close to one another in time and extremely close to each other in gameplay, with nearly no art changes. I can see the frustration for the new one especially as jumping to the new system you have higher res and prettier backgrounds, but the models are not that distinguishable from before.

Probably the most egregious thing is they've shown exactly one new power up, the squirrel suit. Now I think there are probably more somewhere in the game, but the idea that you take the previous game, add new levels and just one power up, is going to make some people mad. There's a lot of formulas in Nintendo games a lot of people get tired of. For instance in boss fights in most Nintendo games, once you figure out a weakness, who wants to bet you have to exploit that weakness exactly three times?

But eh, it's not gonna bother me that much.

It is literally the new Super Mario Bros game. If you are buying it, you expect to be getting the new Super Mario Bros game. You should expect boss fights to work a certain way, you should expect certain powerups, you should expect a whole slew of game mechanics to remain very similar to the last Super Mario Bros game.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Does NSMBU even have online play? I feel like I shouldn't even have to ask this question but looking at a few online store descriptions it gets kind of hazy with regards to online functionality.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It doesn't, and now that you've mentioned it you can look forward to spending the next page reading all about it!

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol

Aeros Wilhelm posted:

This is probably a dumb question; but how does the WiiU's specs compare to the 360's and ps3's? I can understand that 2 gigs is greater than 512 megs in terms of ram; but what about its CPU and graphics card? I've heard that most of the test builds given to developers actually use a different CPU that's underclocked, or something to that affect, right?

Ok from what i heard as a rough explanation from someone with the SDK, it's tri-core CPU, then a GPU that is integrated with it that has 32MB of onboard fast edRAM. Then they both share only 1GB of the RAM while the rest is reserved for system firmware. I don't think the devkits are different clockspeed but they do have 3GB onboard RAM instead.

Now supposedly the cores are weaker than the tri-core 3.2GHz 360 cores, but the edRAM is double and the 1GB of ram obviously double that of 512MB in the 360. So there's a bit of a bump there but without knowing the clockspeeds hard to know if it just makes up for the CPU's relative weakness. Nintendo's plan seems to be to just get a system out on the market at the same level and probably make a profit from the beginning and the architecture designed to be cost-efficient as possible.

Someone was arguing with me today about how possibly future-proof the specs will be and that they were confident it would handle future Sony and Microsoft system ports, but honestly that seems like a crazy assumption to me when it's in both of their interest to make that not the case and would imply that games are probably portable to PS3/360 as well which would be a bit silly. I wonder what this means for any future Nintendo system; would they just jump in at a later stage again or what now? Going to be kinda an unusual situation it seems, maybe go for another whole original thing like the Wii except with an upgraded Wii-U system then catch up later again. Who knows Nintendo is craazyy

Chronojam posted:

It is literally the new Super Mario Bros game. If you are buying it, you expect to be getting the new Super Mario Bros game. You should expect boss fights to work a certain way, you should expect certain powerups, you should expect a whole slew of game mechanics to remain very similar to the last Super Mario Bros game.

Maybe so but personally i felt like the DS and Wii ones, the ones i played, were disappointing in comparison to SMB3 which felt greater in scope and just all around a big step up. Is it so bad to have expectations that a new Super Mario Bros actually be better and more extensive than the last? Otherwise these new games are more like Lost Levels onto SMB1 (and yeah i know it was the real SMB2).

infinity2005 fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Oct 9, 2012

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
All I want from a New Super Mario Game are levels that are really, really, really fun. I want another god drat tank level. In my opinion, this was Peak Mario:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIYyXxmmwUY

The problem with new Marios is that Nintendo would never make a non-optional level anywhere near this difficulty, yet a certain amount of difficulty is necessary to make something really fun.

edit:
Also I agree that using a 3D Mario model in the New games has never felt right. The movement and physics are snappy but the model animates too sluggishly.

Finally, the music for the New games is the worst music Mankind has Ever Produced. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQHa4qindfE&t=76s

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Oct 9, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Polo-Rican posted:

Also I agree that using a 3D Mario model in the New games has never felt right. The movement and physics are snappy but the model animates too sluggishly.

I thought this about the first couple but the NSMB2 models animate a lot better, personally.

The music, though... not only is it bewilderingly bad but they keep using the same songs in every loving game. I seriously don't get it. Every other Nintendo game has great music, even the terrible ones, so what the hell happened?

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol
That's a good point too the music was not memorable and overall style of the game just felt a bit.. off? Compared to the sinister-feeling, exciting later SMB3 later levels the contrast of the constantly upbeat new games is huge. And as greatn said now there's been 4 of these new ones..feel like a launch title(!!) new super mario bros should be a little more than just 'eh its a new mario get exactly what you expect'.

edit: although i see the first comment on that vid is 'who thinks the song is AWSOME!:D' so apparently the view is not shared by all

microwave casserole
Jul 5, 2005

my god, what are you doing
I really, really like the "theme" for the original NSMB, but after three iterations of the same thing I'm ready for something new. It doesn't help that they keep adding more and more bah bahs until literally the whole song is bah bahs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GK41pLUuP0

microwave casserole fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Oct 9, 2012

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The songs in the games I've seen(I haven't seen any of 2) are all very musically distinct. They have the same flavor and usually same instruments but it isn't the same music at all. I actually like the theme in the video for NSMBU, but like all of you I really hate the "wah"s they keep putting in. It is totally unnecessary and detracting.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
That track is the only original track in the whole series that was written by Koji Kondo, and he only wrote it because he thought the track written by the other composer was "trying too hard" or something. He made the right call, but why couldn't he replace every other track, too?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

microwave casserole posted:

I really, really like the "theme" for the original NSMB, but after three iterations of the same thing I'm ready for something new. It doesn't help that they keep adding more and more bah bahs until literally the whole song is bah bahs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GK41pLUuP0

Welcome to hell

Also NSMB2 was ONLY recycled music minus Reznor and... one other song that's on the tip of my tongue, otherwise it was either direct rips or very slight variations.

Edit: I find it funny this image still manages to trick people, and I find it relevant to the topic at hand.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Oct 9, 2012

microwave casserole
Jul 5, 2005

my god, what are you doing

greatn posted:

The songs in the games I've seen(I haven't seen any of 2) are all very musically distinct. They have the same flavor and usually same instruments but it isn't the same music at all. I actually like the theme in the video for NSMBU, but like all of you I really hate the "wah"s they keep putting in. It is totally unnecessary and detracting.

NSMB DS, Wii, and 2 have the same "world 1-1" song with minor variations. NSMBU seems to finally replaced it, judging from the trailers.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Welcome to hell

Also NSMB2 was ONLY recycled music minus Reznor and... one other song that's on the tip of my tongue, otherwise it was either direct rips or very slight variations.

Jesus christ that's horrible.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey

greatn posted:

NSMB2 looks, plays and sounds like a romhack of NSMB Wii. There's no original music in it as far as I can tell. Hell, I think the world layouts are ripped directly from the Wii too. Grass, desert, winter, water, lava... no surprises whatsoever. loving Madden and Call of Duty updates have more originality in them than NSMB at this point.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

TaurusOxford posted:

Something that doesn't look like an up-rez'd NSMB Wii? The last two Rayman games are cartoony 2D platformers too and those games kick the visual poo poo out of NSMBU.

I don't know why I put that last bit, as I also acknowledged that the visuals could be better, but it's a bit uncharitable to say it looks like "an up-rez'd NSMB Wii". From what I've seen so far, there's certainly more detail, and backgrounds are new and really beautiful. Game blatantly merits the "HD Mario" descriptor, in any case, which is all I ever said. Won't be enough to make me buy it, though.

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

Lack of electricity... is my destiny...

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Edit: I find it funny this image still manages to trick people, and I find it relevant to the topic at hand.

Are you referring to the incorrect labels on the right, or the omission of the Japanese SMB2 on the left?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Hey I know I'm the evil rear end in a top hat that started this discussion about how NSMB U is a Wii game running at 720p but I'm cross-posting this from the MH thread!

http://gematsu.com/2012/10/wii-u-version-of-monster-hunter-3-ultimate-playable-at-nycc

We're gonna see gameplay of Monster Hunter 3G-U this weekend!

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Wait, NSMBU runs at 1080p doesn't it?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Mennonites Revenge posted:

Are you referring to the incorrect labels on the right, or the omission of the Japanese SMB2 on the left?

The labels aren't the only thing switched :ssh:

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Bobnumerotres posted:

Hey I know I'm the evil rear end in a top hat that started this discussion about how NSMB U is a Wii game running at 720p but I'm cross-posting this from the MH thread!

http://gematsu.com/2012/10/wii-u-version-of-monster-hunter-3-ultimate-playable-at-nycc

We're gonna see gameplay of Monster Hunter 3G-U this weekend!

Why are you so excited? That's just a Wii game that was released in 2009 running at 720p.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

The labels aren't the only thing switched :ssh:
What else is switched?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Chronojam posted:

Why are you so excited? That's just a Wii game that was released in 2009 running at 720p.

But with several times the content, instead of just different content and the same awful music (and it runs at 1080p).

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
720p or 1080p is irrelevant for me since my TV can apparently only do 1080i; all I really hope for is that NSMBU has better music and not the same drat set of worlds as the past four games.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Chaltab posted:

720p or 1080p is irrelevant for me since my TV can apparently only do 1080i; all I really hope for is that NSMBU has better music and not the same drat set of worlds as the past four games.

I honestly can't tell the difference. :corsair: (I am 21 and have 20:20 vision and a 32 inch 1080p TV. I don't know what the gently caress is 1080 and what's 560. 480 on the Wii kind of looks like poo poo though.)

Just poking fun with the comparisons.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Chaltab posted:

What else is switched?

The Mario's are edited, the DS one is in the 3DS screenshot and likewise

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Bobnumerotres posted:

But with several times the content, instead of just different content and the same awful music (and it runs at 1080p).

How many new maps or music tracks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Chronojam posted:

How many new maps or music tracks?

I can't believe you're pursuing this.

• Locked thread