Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nvining
May 30, 2011

tunnels through walls with its odd, rubbery nasal appliance

7c Nickel posted:

This thought struck me while I was cooking dinner tonight.

The Air Loom needs to be one of the megaprojects or secret cult doomsday devices in honor of the first case of paranoid schizophrenia, James Tilly Matthews.

Holy gently caress this is amazing. Thanks!

EDIT: The "Glove Lady"? This stuff basically lends itself to immediate and wonderful theft.

nvining fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Oct 2, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
There should also be a Zybourne Clocktower. :v:

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

As dumb as most of Zybourne Clock was, a giant steam "hologram projector" thing would be kinda cool as a megaproject/wonder. Bonus points when the Others from beyond the veil take it over and now you have a giant screeching steamhologram eyeball demon informing everyone what time it is.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

GruntyThrst posted:

As dumb as most of Zybourne Clock was, a giant steam "hologram projector" thing would be kinda cool as a megaproject/wonder. Bonus points when the Others from beyond the veil take it over and now you have a giant screeching steamhologram eyeball demon informing everyone what time it is.

AT THE SOUND OF THE SCREAMS OF THE DAMNED, IT WILL BE SIX OF THE CLOCK! YOU SHALL LIE IN ETERNAL TORMENT WHEN THE RED CROW COMES FORTH! :byodood:

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

President Ark posted:

AT THE SOUND OF THE SCREAMS OF THE DAMNED, IT WILL BE SIX OF THE CLOCK! YOU SHALL LIE IN ETERNAL TORMENT WHEN THE RED CROW COMES FORTH! :byodood:

I've got tears here, that's funny. I want this in the game now.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

President Ark posted:

Yeah, basically this. (couple second ambient soundbite from Borderlands 2)

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

nvining posted:

EDIT: The "Glove Lady"? This stuff basically lends itself to immediate and wonderful theft.

Goddammit. Thanks a loving bunch, 7c Nickel. I now HAVE to pre-order a game that allows me to build an Air Loom.

The whole design philosophy and atmosphere has me really hooked, nvining. I'm keen to see what you eventually do with all this!

Dr. Demon
Jan 2, 2007

Everybody out of the god damn way. You got a hat full of bomb, a fist full of penis, and a head full of empty.
I like the fact that James Tilly Matthews helped redesign Bethlem/Bedlam Hospital, where he was staying. Given what was said earlier about mad architects creating madness-inducing buildings, a mental hospital designed by a paranoid schizophrenic in this game would be... interesting.

nvining
May 30, 2011

President Ark posted:

:allears:

Dr. Demon posted:

I like the fact that James Tilly Matthews helped redesign Bethlem/Bedlam Hospital, where he was staying. Given what was said earlier about mad architects creating madness-inducing buildings, a mental hospital designed by a paranoid schizophrenic in this game would be... interesting.

I think technically "asylum" would be more period accurate, but.. yes, basically this as well? Ah, madness.

Dr. Demon
Jan 2, 2007

Everybody out of the god damn way. You got a hat full of bomb, a fist full of penis, and a head full of empty.
I guess that's true. "Asylum" is a more evocative word anyway. So will they exist in the game? A madness containment unit sounds like it would be useful, though you'd probably want to build it well away from the rest of your settlement.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
Oh my god, stop talking about all this awesome stuff, I want this game now! :(

But seriously, carry on. I demand that asylums eventually become insanity bombs though.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

7c Nickel posted:

This thought struck me while I was cooking dinner tonight.

The Air Loom needs to be one of the megaprojects or secret cult doomsday devices in honor of the first case of paranoid schizophrenia, James Tilly Matthews.

The more things change, the more they remain the same :allears:

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

nvining posted:

You didn't answer my question :smith:

nvining
May 30, 2011

Deadmeat5150 posted:

You didn't answer my question :smith:

Oh, about quality? It's still being debated internally; we'll probably do a blog post once we figure it out a bit more.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:
Is it possible to elaborate upon the research and technology systems you are thinking about? Typically games have "research X, get X", with maybe a percentage chance to get something else. Are scientists just going to climb some kind of tech tree till they go crazy or do you have a greater narrative in mind? Based upon your referencing a Lord Kevin type character, I am interested in what you have in mind.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'm just reminded of an old 4x game which was littered with useless research techs, and your scientists would complain about wasting their time. Until you researched other equally useless techs and combined them into something horrifying/wonderful. Wish I could remember what it was though.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

What about this idea for a megaproject:
A giant mechanical T-Rex that shoots lasers from its eyes and smashes everything.
Yes, it's a thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-RPItMYcyY

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Lprsti99 posted:

But seriously, carry on. I demand that asylums eventually become insanity bombs though.

Asylums should be architecture bombs too. As in, you start out building a plain old asylum building, and over time it procedurally adds architectural bits- like conservatories, towers, staircases, and the like- eventually ending up with your asylum having a bad case of Winchester House.

A similar life-cycle would happen for tenements, where bits of trash and the like get added on top of each other and reinforced, so that eventually an extremely large late-stage tenement block would look like the infamous Kowloon Walled City.

nvining
May 30, 2011

Post on AI systems now up on the blog. I think we're doing new posts every Tuesday.

http://www.gaslampgames.com/2012/10/02/choices-choices/ - by request.

nvining fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Oct 2, 2012

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Reading through it now, and I adore the "lore" tags you've created so far for events.

quote:

The “norton” tag is used to indicate the name of the gentleman who consistently writes to the Empire Times; his primary function is to complain about things. This is based on, and named after, a real chronic letter-writer to the Times of London circa 1898.

e.g. "A short letter by a Mr. Norton Updike to the Times about the unsightly picking of Berries by a Mr. Phineas Turngage."

:allears:

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Oct 2, 2012

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

nvining posted:

Post on AI systems now up on the blog. I think we're doing new posts every Tuesday.

I hate to be That Guy this is a lie, I love it, but when you post about blog posts on your blag, can you just include a link here to the post?

nvining
May 30, 2011

Volmarias posted:

I hate to be That Guy this is a lie, I love it, but when you post about blog posts on your blag, can you just include a link here to the post?

Done. Sorry, I'm allergic to HTML. Or making things useful for other people. :)

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

This is shaping up fantastic. I love that I can have my cake and eat it too: a polished, pretty, and focused distillation of the Dwarf Fortress concept, as well as Toady's continuing march into procedural insanity. Speaking of, do we know if the Bay12 guys are aware of this project's existence? I'm kind of curious what their reaction would be.

lizzyinthesky
Mar 24, 2010

Take drugs! Kill a bear!

Fuligin posted:

This is shaping up fantastic. I love that I can have my cake and eat it too: a polished, pretty, and focused distillation of the Dwarf Fortress concept, as well as Toady's continuing march into procedural insanity. Speaking of, do we know if the Bay12 guys are aware of this project's existence? I'm kind of curious what their reaction would be.

Pretty well received, there are usually like a half dozen people out of their forums who are sociopathic fanboys but otherwise they've been all about stuff like Gnomoria, Towns, etcetera when it looks good. Most of the early Towns hype started out of there and the devs post there pretty regularly still.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

nvining posted:

Done. Sorry, I'm allergic to HTML. Or making things useful for other people. :)

:ssh: You can just link and it will automatically put all the right tags ;)

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Dr. Demon posted:

I guess that's true. "Asylum" is a more evocative word anyway. So will they exist in the game? A madness containment unit sounds like it would be useful, though you'd probably want to build it well away from the rest of your settlement.

The idea of asylums that go mad with their inmates is pretty awesome and fits the reputation of some of those places very well.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Fuligin posted:

Speaking of, do we know if the Bay12 guys are aware of this project's existence? I'm kind of curious what their reaction would be.

Here's the thread on the Bay12Forums. If I had to describe the reaction of the larger members of the site, it's cautiously optimistic. Some are concerned that things will be dumbed down too much, like they believe occurred with Dredmore. Maybe it's because they don't have nvining to keep everyone excited. :D

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Oct 2, 2012

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

quote:

Posted in Clockwork Empires, Game Design, Programming | Tagged clockwork empires, madness of berry picking, state machines with smaller replicating state machines in them, the empire times shall hear of your disgraceful berry picking and starvation, the terrifying xml, this will be the only documentation you will receive, you have to throw the absinthe at the poet, you now have all the information needed to make more terrifying mods

I just noticed all your blog posts are tagged like this. :allears:

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

So I take it the jobs dispatcher is the part of the program that makes it a pull-based economy and not a push-based one?

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

quote:

The whole goal of Clockwork Empires’ AI is to provide characters in the game (currently referred to, in-engine, as Citizens, although this is not something that makes David happy; after all, we are a monarchy) with unique, rational, and relatable behaviours.

You'd drat well better not :colbert:.

vvv Ah, carry on then. Must be hygenic.

Lprsti99 fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Oct 3, 2012

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
The kind of rationality that shaves the skin off your hands in order to get rid of all those icky germs.

nvining
May 30, 2011

Ratoslov posted:

So I take it the jobs dispatcher is the part of the program that makes it a pull-based economy and not a push-based one?

Correct. Basically, when somebody asks for a job, it provides them with one. They then choose if they want to do that job, which they do if that job has a higher utility function than any of the jobs that they want to do themselves.

It's a little convoluted, but it produces the right effect. We're thinking you'll be able to spend prestige to bump jobs in importance up the queue (in case of emergencies, insane workers, etc.) but we'll see how it turns out to be.

nvining
May 30, 2011

Lprsti99 posted:

You'd drat well better not :colbert:.

vvv Ah, carry on then. Must be hygenic.

Because we're using humans - rather than, say, dwarves - avatars still sort of need to behave like you'd expect humans to behave. A lot of Dwarf Fortress's little quirks can be brushed off because, well, they're dwarves and who knows what dwarves do?

So even when a human is being irrational, it still has to be a rational description of an irrational human. Even if it is compulsively shaving everything, or putting horses in a boiler, or something.

nvining fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Oct 3, 2012

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

nvining posted:

Correct. Basically, when somebody asks for a job, it provides them with one. They then choose if they want to do that job, which they do if that job has a higher utility function than any of the jobs that they want to do themselves.

It's a little convoluted, but it produces the right effect. We're thinking you'll be able to spend prestige to bump jobs in importance up the queue (in case of emergencies, insane workers, etc.) but we'll see how it turns out to be.

Oh thank god. No more having traders leave empty handed because some rear end in a top hat was too busy hauling stone to move things to the trade depot.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

nvining posted:

Because we're using humans - rather than, say, dwarves - avatars still sort of need to behave like you'd expect humans to behave. A lot of Dwarf Fortress's little quirks can be brushed off because, well, they're dwarves and who knows what dwarves do?

So even when a human is being irrational, it still has to be a rational description of an irrational human. Even if it is compulsively shaving everything, or putting horses in a boiler, or something.

Aw. So that means that being lit on fire won't make them thirsty for a beer.

Or maybe it's just that humans tend to die from being on fire a lot faster than dwarves.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
So I finally got around to reading the PC Gamer that's been sitting on my desk for a little while and the article they did on you guys is great.

nvining
May 30, 2011

http://www.gaslampgames.com/2012/10/09/storytelling-as-game-design/

On the blog today: the Founding of New Sogwood, wherein various terrible things happen to people and we get to look at a little hypothetical gameplay.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

nvining posted:

http://www.gaslampgames.com/2012/10/09/storytelling-as-game-design/

On the blog today: the Founding of New Sogwood, wherein various terrible things happen to people and we get to look at a little hypothetical gameplay.

Well now I just want to jump into a time machine so that I can play this right away. <:saddowns:>

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Love the names of the foreign nations; République Mécanique, Stahlmark, Novyrus. "#beware any trader with green and yellow striped pants"

Also, would have never considered a night/day cycle, but it makes a lot of sense to have moments of suspense and increased military focus. Maybe as Madness spreads, the night/day ratio can be tampered with, as C'tan or Cog-Shoggoth brings shadow across the land.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
#Zebulon is a good name for an engineer and not ominous at all

• Locked thread