Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Everything in Canada except Shell 91 has at least 5% ethanol so I wouldn't worry about it.

I'm sure they've tested the direct injection system with our/the US' E10/E15 gas and if they haven't then warranty will likely take care of it.

Are you sure about that? I thought that apart from Husky/Mohawk and PetroCan, all 91+ octane gas in Canada was ethanol-free. 87 is minimum 5% across the board, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006

MrChips posted:

Are you sure about that? I thought that apart from Husky/Mohawk and PetroCan, all 91+ octane gas in Canada was ethanol-free. 87 is minimum 5% across the board, though.

Do you live on the West Coast? If so, then Chevron gives you Ethanol free 94 Octane gas. I would kill to have that here in the GTA. They could get rid of a few Canadian tire stations and give us Chevron instead.

I believe it's federally mandated in Canada for all gas to have some amount of ethanol in it. Shell gets around this by putting more ethanol in their 87-89 thus meeting their legal obligations and providing ethanol free 91 in the process. When you fill up at a shell station there is even a little chart that shows you how much ethanol is inside each grade of gas. So they actively advertise 91 as ethanol free.

There's even a separate nozzle just for V-Power presumably so you don't mix up leftover 87 stuff.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Our climate may destroy any car over 5 years old, but NS is pretty much ethanol free.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/story/2012/10/01/ns-ethanol-gas.html

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Snowdens Secret posted:

I dunno it seems to me like revving the piss out of your engine to get off the line on any kind of regular basis is a great way to smear your clutch. I mean I guess in an old RX-7 you just swap the clutch when you've got the engine out for apex seals anyway but in a modern car it'd be a hassle

:v:

I still think it's torque and width of torque plateau that matters on the street more than peak HP which is why they should give this thing a little snail for low end torque ~like the GTI~ but that dog has been flogged hard already

Just because you wind it out doesn't mean you have to smoke the clutch. Don't see how the two are related unless you don't know how to drive.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
If your clutch is smoking and your tires aren't, you're doing it wrong. Try a bicycle instead.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Dr 14 INCH DICK Md posted:

My '60 VW panel with the bastard 40hp engine and small nut reduction gearboxes limited by gearing to a blistering top speed of 53mph would like to talk to you.

Oh I'm sure there are plenty of slower vehicles around, its just that I've spent far too much time driving Hiaces and Hiluxes with the 2.8

lazer_chicken
May 14, 2009

PEW PEW ZAP ZAP

Dr 14 INCH DICK Md posted:

My '60 VW panel with the bastard 40hp engine and small nut reduction gearboxes limited by gearing to a blistering top speed of 53mph would like to talk to you.

The best part is if you get antsy and push it any faster it burns up the exhaust valves. Those things don't play games.

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

DerDestroyer posted:

Do you live on the West Coast? If so, then Chevron gives you Ethanol free 94 Octane gas. I would kill to have that here in the GTA. They could get rid of a few Canadian tire stations and give us Chevron instead.

I believe it's federally mandated in Canada for all gas to have some amount of ethanol in it. Shell gets around this by putting more ethanol in their 87-89 thus meeting their legal obligations and providing ethanol free 91 in the process. When you fill up at a shell station there is even a little chart that shows you how much ethanol is inside each grade of gas. So they actively advertise 91 as ethanol free.

There's even a separate nozzle just for V-Power presumably so you don't mix up leftover 87 stuff.

I'm pretty sure Ultramar 91 octane is ethanol free as well. Their pumps don't explicitly state it, but only their 87/89 octane pumps have ethanol warnings on their pumps. I also notice Ultramar 91 octane burns better than other gas stations besides Shell, personal anecdote on that one.

Also helps their gas is almost always the cheapest around and -3c/liter on Thursdays for 91 octane.

/GTA gas chat

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

dissss posted:

Oh I'm sure there are plenty of slower vehicles around, its just that I've spent far too much time driving Hiaces and Hiluxes with the 2.8

Last time I moved we borrowed my housemate's GF's mum's 80's Hilux dualcab, with some monumentally anemic petrol motor. Holy poo poo that bastard was slow. Also, it had that winning combo of loving ridiculously heavy unassisted steering and and a massive turning circle.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Not sure if it belongs in this thread, another megathread or elsewhere, but:

http://www.topgear.com.ph/news/toyota-86-chief-engineer-says-there-are-2-more-sports-cars-coming

quote:

According to Tada, the 86 is just the first of three sports cars that Toyota is planning to roll out, and that the 86 is the middle of the two in terms of market positioning.

"The first is more mass-market and cheaper than the 86," Tada revealed. "And the third is more upmarket than the 86."

I can't see how they can make a sports car cheaper than the FR-S, with all the mandatory safety bits and all, unless it's little more than a xA or Corolla with a body kit. I'm also curious, what with the whole Scion branding debate, whether the upmarket one will be Scion, Toyota or Lexus.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The only lower-end one I could think of would be revising the tC as something that isn't too fat for its own good.

Network42
Oct 23, 2002
Is Japan still making Kei-cars? That would be pretty hilariously awesome.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Something FWD, and then a Supra? Lets hope that upmarket means anything other than 'like a Lexus' at all.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Piano posted:

Something FWD, and then a Supra? Lets hope that upmarket means anything other than 'like a Lexus' at all.

A new Supra would be amazing, and I think could sell pretty well at $30k-$38k. Even Hyundai has gotten in on this new muscle car wave, and I bet that a big fat 350+ horsepower Toyota GT car would sell like hotcakes. Something along the lines of the Mustang, Camaro, Challenger, or Genesis Coupe.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Snowdens Secret posted:

Not sure if it belongs in this thread, another megathread or elsewhere, but:

http://www.topgear.com.ph/news/toyota-86-chief-engineer-says-there-are-2-more-sports-cars-coming

I can't see how they can make a sports car cheaper than the FR-S, with all the mandatory safety bits and all, unless it's little more than a xA or Corolla with a body kit. I'm also curious, what with the whole Scion branding debate, whether the upmarket one will be Scion, Toyota or Lexus.

Hot hatch version of the Yaris?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
I just can't see how the logic that puts the FR-S into Scion gets the Toyota brand anything hotter than an up-engined Camry. Then again, a hot hatch to replace the Matrix (yes, they actually still sell the Matrix) would be nice. The 'sportiest' 5-door Toyota has is, what, that lame Lexus hybrid one?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Hot hatch version of the Yaris?

Turbo I4 Yaris on steelies. :whatup:

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Weinertron posted:

A new Supra would be amazing, and I think could sell pretty well at $30k-$38k.

Think about how much good this will do to the FRS used market. So many Toyota fanboys will be dumping FRSes to get into SUPRAs.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Comeback of the Starlet. Please, Toyota? :haw:

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Ziploc posted:

Think about how much good this will do to the FRS used market. So many Toyota fanboys will be dumping FRSes to get into SUPRAs.

I bet it'll be badged a Lexus in the states. Lexus suffers from a lack of a real sporty halo car far more than Toyota, which has basically given up on sport altogether and doesn't seem to be hurting from it.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Cream_Filling posted:

I bet it'll be badged a Lexus in the states. Lexus suffers from a lack of a real sporty halo car far more than Toyota, which has basically given up on sport altogether and doesn't seem to be hurting from it.
Wife and I were driving a little earlier today when a commercial came on the radio with a little girl saying "When I grow up, I wanna drive a LEXUS!" and we both cracked up laughing at the absurdity of the comment.

I think they might have an image problem they'd like to fix but are failing miserably at. Lexus badged FT86 might not be a bad move. They have the LFA, but it's just too rare to be all that visible.

grover fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Oct 10, 2012

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

grover posted:

They have the LFA, but it's just too rare to be all that visible.

I think it's rare because it costs over $300,000.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

MiniFoo posted:

I think it's rare because it costs over $300,000.

That and they only made like 500. At that point, it's basically a publicity stunt, not a real car you buy.

XCPuff
Nov 26, 2005

FEAR THIS MAN

Cream_Filling posted:

That and they only made like 500. At that point, it's basically a publicity stunt, not a real car you buy.

Don't they lose a ton of money on it when they sell it to?

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Remake of the IS-300?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Nodoze posted:

Remake of the IS-300?

They still sell the IS. They could certainly scrap the garbage that it is, though.

firehawk
May 23, 2005

Oookkeeee!
Picked it up yesterday from the dealership - hasn't burst on fire yet.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Goddamn, that's a good angle. Beautiful car.

Bovril Delight posted:

Turbo I4 Yaris on steelies. :whatup:

Didn't a goon do this?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Nodoze posted:

Remake of the IS-300?

You mean the SC 300?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bX8Cx47ofz8

Thats on E85 and with std engine internals, which is pretty cool.
http://www.dynosty.com/2012/08/scion-fr-s-subaru-brz-fa20-highest-horsepower-set-at-324whp/

Deathreaper
Mar 27, 2010

The FA20 is proving to be quite impressive. These guys claim to have it at 521 HP:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19206
I think everything is pretty much stock except for injectors, fuel pump and clutch.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I think someone needs to offer a taller rear to go with all the horsepower. The auto trans shifted 3 times in 6 seconds, and it's supposed to be geared higher than manual.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

kimbo305 posted:

They still sell the IS. They could certainly scrap the garbage that it is, though.

What's wrong with the IS? It looks good, it is RWD and the IS-350 has a decent engine. It is really old and in a desperate need of an update. It was competitive for era it came out in though.

It also looks a hell of a lot better than the E90.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Splizwarf posted:

Goddamn, that's a good angle. Beautiful car.

Didn't a goon do this?

I hope so, because it needs to happen.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

So do all these 3rd party turbos void the warranty? I know jack all about cars, but I will say adding a little more umpf to a FR-S / BRZ is making it harder and harder not to buy one...

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Internet Explorer posted:

So do all these 3rd party turbos void the warranty?

Just slightly.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The whole "voiding warranty" thing is blown out of proportion. You can get denied warranty work by a dealer if they feel that you have modified something that caused the failure. If you rolled in with a turbo BRZ and your headunit had failed, they aren't going to say "warranty is voided sorry!!!"

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Uh, oh, guys. Prepare for your insurance prices to rise:
Subaru BRZ to be Featured in “Fast and the Furious 6″ Film Set for Next Summer

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Internet Explorer posted:

So do all these 3rd party turbos void the warranty? I know jack all about cars, but I will say adding a little more umpf to a FR-S / BRZ is making it harder and harder not to buy one...

No.

However, anything that goes wrong with the powertrain will most likely get denied under warranty coverage if you're turbo'd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

oRenj9 posted:

What's wrong with the IS? It looks good, it is RWD and the IS-350 has a decent engine. It is really old and in a desperate need of an update. It was competitive for era it came out in though.

It also looks a hell of a lot better than the E90.

The looks have always been pretty bland, but this depends on your taste; the side profile looks great but the back is blah and the front has no menace. The new Avalon/ES, front end especially, is significantly better/sportier looking than the IS probably ever was. The Altezza taillight look was ruined by a million rusty Civics with fartcans and the Lex kept them way, way after they were passe.

For a long time you couldn't get the big engine with AWD. The small engine isn't really competitive with the 2.0Ts in the other cars. It used to be hard to get a stick, now you can't get one at all, the autobox isn't very sporty and there's no dual-clutch option. It was always somewhat Lexus-softer than a comparable Audi or BMW, and it didn't have the, I dunno, driving feel someone looking for RWD is going to care about. And if you don't care about RWD and want a Lexus the ES is probably faster and nicer for the same money.

I had owned 5 Toyotas and was brand-loyal as hell but wanted something fast and classy and not another Camry, looked at the IS at the time and was unimpressed. Ended up going Audi.

I think there's a lot of potential for an IS. With the ES handling the why-don't-they-make-Buicks-like-this-any-more crowd the IS can be tuned a lot more towards the driver-excitement end of the spectrum. The FR-S shows Toyota can make an exciting slushbox if they want to. There's always an option of going I6 for retro cred. On the other hand Lexus could just bite the bullet and drop a proper 2.0t and a decent suspension in the CT body for an instant hot-hatch or release the very-obviously-FRS-based LF-CC without the hybrid silliness.

• Locked thread