Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I'm pretty sure the interface/abstract class difference is the same as in Java: An interface has exclusively abstract/virtual methods. An abstract class can have both concrete and abstract methods. Neither can be instantiated on their own, it has to be a subclass or a class with that interface.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Oct 8, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Oh, no, sorry- I wasn't necessarily asking for the answers. I know them :downs:
Was just kind of saying what I reviewed, because I feel like I'm missing some important stuff

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Cicero posted:

I'm pretty sure the interface/abstract class difference is the same as in Java: An interface has exclusively abstract/virtual methods. An abstract class can have both concrete and abstract methods. Neither can be instantiated on their own, it has to be a subclass or a class with that interface.

If someone said that an interface contains "abstract/virtual methods", I'd assume they don't really understand what an interface is. An interface contains method signatures that an implementing class has to implement. Sure, an abstract method is basically the same thing, but a virtual method sure as hell isn't.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Ithaqua posted:

If someone said that an interface contains "abstract/virtual methods", I'd assume they don't really understand what an interface is. An interface contains method signatures that an implementing class has to implement. Sure, an abstract method is basically the same thing, but a virtual method sure as hell isn't.
It's been a while since C++ for me ok. Yeah I forgot that virtual just meant that it CAN be overridden, not that it HAS to be.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

What exactly would be a 'virtual' method? It's not a keyword I'm familiar with, really.

No idea how that interview just went. They do all things Microsoft, so lots of general C# / OOP, ASP / web questions, SQL and a bunch of other stuff. Hard to prepare for. I actually interviewed with them for the same role back in August and thought I did poorly. Went on to meet the head of the division for New England and probably would have had the job but the team I was applying for didn't have the money internally to hire me :(

This was for a different team so I had to re-interview and thought I also did poorly again, but who knows. Guess I'll find out if they call me back this week or not. Yay waiting game!

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

So I got out of an interview today and the recruiter was talking about PLCs, and programming them. I haven't the first loving clue about any of this, but the company sounds cool as hell, can anyone point me to some resources that aren't wikipedia?

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Sab669 posted:

What exactly would be a 'virtual' method? It's not a keyword I'm familiar with, really.

Being a C# developer and not knowing what a virtual method is is pretty bad.

A virtual method is a method that contains implementation and can be overridden, but doesn't need to be.

Ex:
code:
public class FooBase
{
	public virtual void DoFoo() 
	{
		// Base implementation of DoFoo here
	}
}

public class Foo : FooBase
{
	public override void DoFoo()
	{
		// Foo-specific implementation of DoFoo here
	}
}

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

I just got invited to do an on-site interview. Apparently it'll be 3 to 5 1 hour interviews. I've never done anything like that before, what kind of things or questions should I expect??

how!!
Nov 19, 2011

by angerbot

KNITS MY FEEDS posted:

I just got invited to do an on-site interview. Apparently it'll be 3 to 5 1 hour interviews. I've never done anything like that before, what kind of things or questions should I expect??

In my experience, one person will come in and ask you a bunch of questions, then that person will leave and another person will come in and ask you pretty much the same questions, etc. over and over again.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

KNITS MY FEEDS posted:

In my experience, every single one of them will ask you nearly the same exact things on your resume with some focus on a bullet point you wrote down. You then spend 1-2 minutes explaining what that bullet point actually entailed. For example you may have written "Maintained PHP web application" so they will ask you things like, "What was your day to day? Did you use a framework? Why didn't you do this? What do you like about PHP? dislike?" They may also ask you, "Why are you leaving your current job? How was your boss? What did you like the least about working at your current employer" The answer to any of these last few questions IS TO SAY NOTHING BUT GOOD THINGS

For the most part they only traverse your last two jobs, and any recent side projects / consulting you've done.

Then they will ask you a few technical questions and/or make you do a whiteboard question. Then you spend the last 10 minutes or so asking them questions. Wash, Rinse, Repeat.

And now, my salary rant:

The last of these interviewers will inevitably be someone from HR. And here is where they try to pry your salary information from you, when you are at your weakest after being exhausted by the previous engineering interviewers. Your answer to any of their questions about salary is, "ITS NONE OF YOUR GODDAMN loving BUSINESS" except more nicely put.

Never reveal what you are earning or what you expect to be your salary. No good can come of it because either 1) you will lowball yourself or 2) you will price yourself where they decide you're too expensive. If they tell you they can't let you leave without a number, just get up, say "OK well I will be going" and walk out because that is a tall tale sign that they are prepared to lowball the gently caress out of you.

Your job in the first few interviews is to impress the gently caress out of the Engineers. So much so that they tell HR to not gently caress it up because they need you ASAP.

Here are some responses to, "how much are you making right now?"

1) "I was paid well at my last job, and it was close to what I thought was in line with the market and the results I produced. I will be happy to discuss my compensation history with you if we can both agree that we are the right person for this job."

Jokes on them here since if you get an offer it's not as though they don't put down a salary number. If they're already at the point where they're offering you the job it's because they want you and something ridiculous as not putting down a number when there is a high possibility you have other job offers is complete HR suicide.

2) "I realize that you need to make sure that we're both on the same page in terms of compensation so to be sure of that, why don't you tell me the salary range you are looking at for this position"

This should be obvious but you're forcing them to give a number first here.

And finally if they keep pressing just say, "I don't feel comfortable talking about compensation this at this point in the process"

All you should know is that it doesn't matter to the HR person how much more you can make, it's probably more of a game for HR to see how low he/she can bring you in for. An extra $10,000 is nothing compared to the amount they spend to find an ideal candidate.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

Thanks for the response guys. This is for an internship SDET position so I'm not too sure if I should even talk about salary.

What should I say if they ask me about pay? I've never worked in the US before (I'm Canadian, I think we get paid worse) so I'm not too sure how much people get paid up here, if it helps this job would be in Washington State.

Also, what types of questions do HR people usually ask?

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

KNITS MY FEEDS posted:

If this is still Microsoft: you'll go around to different people's offices and they'll each interview you. Probably a little chit-chat then a programming question or two to solve on the whiteboard. About an hour a pop.

Outside of technical stuff, it can be a surprisingly long and tiring day. Make sure to sleep and eat. You don't want to get tired and have a bad interview because you didn't eat breakfast.

tk fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Oct 9, 2012

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

tk posted:

Outside of technical stuff, it can be a surprisingly long and tiring day. Make sure to sleep and eat. You don't want to get tired and have a bad interview because you didn't eat breakfast.

Good advice that I think goes overlooked many times. My very first 'real' interview, I had to interview with the HR rep, IT head, and a senior dev back-to-back-to-back. I was drained as hell afterwards. Good luck!

Newf
Feb 14, 2006
I appreciate hacky sack on a much deeper level than you.

Ithaqua posted:

Being a C# developer and not knowing what a virtual method is is pretty bad.

A virtual method is a method that contains implementation and can be overridden, but doesn't need to be.

I'm ready to be embarrassed, but is it forgivable that I didn't know what virtual methods were when I've done 90% of my work in Java where that's how method inheritance works by default?

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Newf posted:

I'm ready to be embarrassed, but is it forgivable that I didn't know what virtual methods were when I've done 90% of my work in Java where that's how method inheritance works by default?

If you're interviewing for an entry-level position that doesn't specifically require any C# programming experience and you explain that to them, sure. Otherwise, it's a gap in your knowledge that will set off warning bells among your interviewers.

All the same, if you've done your coursework (I'm assuming) in Java but want to get into a C# career, you're probably going to want to study the differences between the languages. Maybe write a program or two in C# that exercises the core object-oriented concepts. Maybe go through a book like Head First C# or something.

THE PLATFORM MASTER
Jun 3, 2008

KNITS MY FEEDS posted:

Thanks for the response guys. This is for an internship SDET position so I'm not too sure if I should even talk about salary.

When I did SDET internship interviews the first person asked me a warmup coding question, the second asked about my experience and had me tell him what some code did, the third was mostly about aspects of testing software (over pho, beware the lunch interview), and the fourth about my goals and more abstract testing (think "how do you test ___"). None of it overlapped, and do make sure you eat breakfast.

quote:

What should I say if they ask me about pay? I've never worked in the US before (I'm Canadian, I think we get paid worse) so I'm not too sure how much people get paid up here, if it helps this job would be in Washington State.

They don't/didn't ask about pay, instead they'll just tell you a number. I have no idea if people negotiate internships, I suppose you could.

quote:

Also, what types of questions do HR people usually ask?

I recall the HR people there mostly trying to make us less nervous and answer any questions. They probably asked "Why Microsoft?" but they aren't your interviewer so you don't talk for that long.

pazuzu
Jan 2, 2004

Tres Burritos posted:

So I got out of an interview today and the recruiter was talking about PLCs, and programming them. I haven't the first loving clue about any of this, but the company sounds cool as hell, can anyone point me to some resources that aren't wikipedia?

You should read up on Verilog or VHDL. PLC programming is quite a bit different than compiled or interpreted code, since you are writing code that describes digital hardware. You can use traditional program control flow techniques to burn PLC's, but you'll also have to understand the structural approach to hardware descriptor languages. It wouldn't hurt to read up on microcontrollers.

Maybe you should download a trial version of Altera Quartus and code up a microcontroller. You can print out the resulting schematics and show them on your next interview. That would be pretty cool, because you'll have to develop your own machine language, which is an unusual thing to do and will probably spark the interest of the interviewer.

Edit: Nevermind! I confused PLC's and PLD's.

pazuzu fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Oct 11, 2012

IMlemon
Dec 29, 2008
I got my current job via internship so I never really had to go through a real interview until yesterday. I was so nervous and screwed up really badly once: I had to reverse a string, so I figured I could use StringBuilder class (this is Java btw). But then I somehow completely forgot that you can append strings to it so I split it into chars and appended those. Ughhhhhhhhh.

Rest of the interview went okay I guess. I wasn't very familiar with frameworks they wanted me to know and I barely knew anything about front-end web development, but I completely nailed general programming and Java related questions. I guess it depends what they value more, general programming skills or framework/library knowledge.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

IMlemon posted:

I got my current job via internship so I never really had to go through a real interview until yesterday. I was so nervous and screwed up really badly once: I had to reverse a string, so I figured I could use StringBuilder class (this is Java btw). But then I somehow completely forgot that you can append strings to it so I split it into chars and appended those. Ughhhhhhhhh.

Rest of the interview went okay I guess. I wasn't very familiar with frameworks they wanted me to know and I barely knew anything about front-end web development, but I completely nailed general programming and Java related questions. I guess it depends what they value more, general programming skills or framework/library knowledge.

Good luck with that, I definitely feel like I bombed the crap out of my most recent interview. Tons of C#, ASP, general web servers,SQL, OOP questions (I was expecting the C# / OOP stuff, but not ASP / web). But I had interviewed with them in the past and thought I bombed basically the same interview before and they had passed me along to round 2... so who knows.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Oct 11, 2012

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

IMlemon posted:

I had to reverse a string, ... Ughhhhhhhhh.

If it makes you feel better, this is one of the shittiest interview questions ever. It's not just you that did badly in that interview.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Zhentar posted:

If it makes you feel better, this is one of the shittiest interview questions ever. It's not just you that did badly in that interview.

Why is it lovely?

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Ithaqua posted:

Why is it lovely?

I can see why you wouldn't like it. The way you do it is going to depend on your knowledge of the string APIs and it's involved enough that you're likely to get halfway through it before you remember something weird (in an interview setting at least). It's still not bad though as long as you keep an open mind while evaluating it.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Ruby code:
puts "butts".reverse
Do I get a job yet?

In all seriousness, I've started to do some of the Project Euler problems again and throw more stuff up on Github if possible, which I hope helps. My resume plays a lot of buzzword bingo and I'm having a difficult time figuring out how to present myself (no degree), let alone find really good resources for actual jobs which don't go through Dice/a clueless recruiter. It's pretty frustrating and I'm considering making a hard push to look at jobs up in NYC.

double sulk fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Oct 11, 2012

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

NovemberMike posted:

I can see why you wouldn't like it. The way you do it is going to depend on your knowledge of the string APIs and it's involved enough that you're likely to get halfway through it before you remember something weird (in an interview setting at least). It's still not bad though as long as you keep an open mind while evaluating it.

You need to:
  • Know how to loop
  • Know how to access a string by character index

There's literally nothing complicated or tricky about it. If I'm interviewing you for a job writing code in Foo, and you can't reverse a string by writing some Foo code, then I don't want you working with/for me. Unless "Foo" is Brainfuck or something, I guess.

Hell, I never had a requirement of "it has to work on the first try" when having people write code in front of me. It's a plus if it does, but as long as I get a working solution in a reasonable timeframe, I'm happy.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

I think a lot of interviewers favor reverse string because in general it is pretty simple and like all other interview questions there are multiple solutions to them. And the in-place solution requires a swap I believe so it's another topic for someone to describe.

I haven't failed a reverse string question, but I have done goofed up on simple questions. Sometimes it happens where your brain locks up and something simple becomes difficult to handle.

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

My favorite interview coding question for Java is the SuperIterator. It is pretty simple to describe: Implement a class called SuperIterator that takes multiple iterator, and allows you to treat them as a single Iterator. I usually give them this to start
Java code:
public class SuperIterator<T> implements Iterator<T>{
  public SuperIterator(Iterator<Iterator<T>> iterators) {

}

public boolean hasNext() {
    return false;
  }

public T next() {
    return null;
  }

public void remove() {
    throw new UnsupportedOperationException();
  }
}

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Strong Sauce posted:

I think a lot of interviewers favor reverse string because in general it is pretty simple and like all other interview questions there are multiple solutions to them. And the in-place solution requires a swap I believe so it's another topic for someone to describe.

I haven't failed a reverse string question, but I have done goofed up on simple questions. Sometimes it happens where your brain locks up and something simple becomes difficult to handle.

I suppose if you want a has-a-pulse test, reversing a string isn't the worst. Realistically you'd give them something more involved as a weeder.

If you want an algorithm question, you could at least ask something more interesting like "Reverse all the words in the string".

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

FamDav posted:

I suppose if you want a has-a-pulse test, reversing a string isn't the worst. Realistically you'd give them something more involved as a weeder.

If you want an algorithm question, you could at least ask something more interesting like "Reverse all the words in the string".

obviously the solution is to detour the method gettextext and set up a hook so any application that calls gettextext gets inverted coordinates. this will naturally reverse all the drawn text on the system and technically be the correct answer!

Karanth
Dec 25, 2003
I need to finish Xenogears sometime, damn it.

FamDav posted:

It's good to use warm-up questions. They help raise the candidate's confidence so that they're ready to think clearly for the next question and weed out a few bozos as a bonus.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Karanth posted:

It's good to use warm-up questions. They help raise the candidate's confidence so that they're ready to think clearly for the next question and weed out a few bozos as a bonus.

Alright, I can get behind that. I don't think I've had an interview where I've been specifically pitched a softball like that, though. Most of what I've gotten (and what I prefer myself) is to pick a relatively easy (though not quite that easy) question and then iterate on it with them to make it harder.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

I got a phone screen request from Amazon a week ago but it was for a full time rather than an internship (that I applied for). The e-mail said I should ask about internships if I was interested in one so I asked about an internship. The recruiter replied telling me that they'd contact me in January 2013 to interview for a summer internship.

The thing is, I had heard that they were already interviewing for internships this month, did I miss the boat?

e: Agh, so many broken links on Amazon's internship site

Acer Pilot fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Oct 14, 2012

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Has anyone worked with a defense contractor before? I know you generally can't talk much about it due to security reasons but I just applied for a job with one of the largest defense contractors in the world. They're specifically looking for recent grads with less than 1 year experience.

Anything outside of the ordinary I should brush up on for development with something like this? I've always wanted to work for a defense company, I think it would be cool as hell.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Sab669 posted:

Has anyone worked with a defense contractor before? I know you generally can't talk much about it due to security reasons but I just applied for a job with one of the largest defense contractors in the world. They're specifically looking for recent grads with less than 1 year experience.

Anything outside of the ordinary I should brush up on for development with something like this? I've always wanted to work for a defense company, I think it would be cool as hell.

I worked for DoD for a few years and a major contractor for a couple more. In my experience companies care a lot more about whether or not you are clearable vs. your technical ability. But yeah, the work is generally pretty cool, unless you are doing consulting, in which case it is 50/50 whether your job will be interesting or poo poo.

edit: I did college recruiting for my last company, and we were explicitly told to just look for people who looked clearable. GPA and stuff was a lot less important, we had "minimums" but if a potential grad seemd clearable and a good fit, we were told to just flag the resume regardless of their grades/internship experience.

astr0man fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Oct 15, 2012

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Just curious, what determines if one is able to get security clearancces? Obviously it varies from level to level, but generally speaking.

I've never been in trouble with the law (sans speeding tickets :v:) and am a US Citizen, born and raised.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
You should be fine. The most important thing to note is that when you are doing your background check stuff, be 100% honest. If you've ever smoked weed or whatever and you lie about it, they will find out and it will be a million times worse than if you just said "yeah I did that in college."

Drape Culture
Feb 9, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother.

The End.

astr0man posted:

You should be fine. The most important thing to note is that when you are doing your background check stuff, be 100% honest. If you've ever smoked weed or whatever and you lie about it, they will find out and it will be a million times worse than if you just said "yeah I did that in college."

Also, answer the question and only the question. The interviewer does not want to hear extra details and the chances of you saying something stupid go up. Don't make dumb jokes about terrorists :-P

Cryolite
Oct 2, 2006
sodium aluminum fluoride
Definitely don't lie. They don't care that you tried pot or committed other minor crimes as long as you don't do them anymore and are up front about it.

They care more about your finances and debt situation. If you can't control your debt, you can be bribed more easily or so the thinking goes.

If your finances are under control, you don't hold dual citizenship, don't have a foreign passport, don't have any unexplainable foreign travel, don't do heavy drugs, haven't advocated for the violent overthrow of the U.S. government, and haven't had any serious run-ins with the law, you should be fine.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I'm a dual citizen with two foreign passports, plus the country I was born in no longer exists.

I had a pretty promising interview, with a defence contractor, too :(

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.

Ensign Expendable posted:

I'm a dual citizen with two foreign passports, plus the country I was born in no longer exists.

I had a pretty promising interview, with a defence contractor, too :(

Those details don't mean you're automatically excluded, it very likely depends heavily on which countries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

KNITS MY FEEDS posted:

I got a phone screen request from Amazon a week ago but it was for a full time rather than an internship (that I applied for). The e-mail said I should ask about internships if I was interested in one so I asked about an internship. The recruiter replied telling me that they'd contact me in January 2013 to interview for a summer internship.

The thing is, I had heard that they were already interviewing for internships this month, did I miss the boat?

e: Agh, so many broken links on Amazon's internship site

You probably missed the boat for the next round of internships. Whoever they're interviewing right now is probably scheduled to start in January or something. But if they're anything like where I work, they hire interns to start in batches, and you missed this one, but they're inviting you to interview for the next one.

Totally normal.