Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Bombadilillo posted:

There you go, thats a good idea for it using ranged weapons. A bowling ball attack perhaps. It might get wonky with reach and height differences though.

They could make the bodies the same and the heads different depending on the Mii.

Wii sports like attacks would fit. A moves from Boxing/Fencing, B moves from the various sports (bowling, archery, jet ski/parachute for recovery etc.), I think it would really work.

EDIT: The new Tekken trailer pretty much does nothing but show off the new ridiculous costumes. http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/z0i37r/tekken-tag-tournament-2-nycc-12--wii-u-trailer

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Oct 11, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:

Bobnumerotres posted:

The new Tekken trailer pretty much does nothing but show off the new ridiculous costumes. http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/z0i37r/tekken-tag-tournament-2-nycc-12--wii-u-trailer

SOLD.
Tekken WU just became a day 1 purchase.
It will more than hold the fort until BanNam delivers the real Smash Bros.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
For the Final Smash they could have a stampede of Miis, all taken from the ones stored on your Wii (with duplicates).

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Nickoten posted:

For the Final Smash they could have a stampede of Miis, all taken from the ones stored on your Wii (with duplicates).

I hope the final smash is more like actual balanced ultimates that you earn via hitting/being hit and such, instead of a random item that gives you a worthless/okay/guaranteed KO move.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

See, I think super moves as a reward for getting hit (Which, unfortunately, is the standard for like every fighting game made these days, though some handle it better than others) suck anyway, and I know they're not going to give us super moves only as rewards for doing well, so I just accept that they'll always be a part of the game I turn off along with items for competitive matches. And as long as they're one of those elements, I kinda prefer the current way they handle it, where it's a bit of a race to see who can get the last hit on the smash ball.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Nickoten posted:

See, I think super moves as a reward for getting hit (Which, unfortunately, is the standard for like every fighting game made these days, though some handle it better than others) suck anyway, and I know they're not going to give us super moves only as rewards for doing well, so I just accept that they'll always be a part of the game I turn off along with items for competitive matches. And as long as they're one of those elements, I kinda prefer the current way they handle it, where it's a bit of a race to see who can get the last hit on the smash ball.

Well, in street fighter 4 for example, it's handled pretty well.

If you get your rear end handed to you, when you're on your last legs you'll unlock your super moves and maybe turn the tide, but even if you do land it there's a fat chance you're going to win. It's like a Star when you're in 12th place. It's not a bullet bill, it doesn't turn a sure loss into a victory, but it gives you some hope.

Additionally, the guy who handed your rear end to you also has his super moves from doing so well.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Bobnumerotres posted:

I hope the final smash is more like actual balanced ultimates that you earn via hitting/being hit and such, instead of a random item that gives you a worthless/okay/guaranteed KO move.
I think the more reasonable option is to make sure that none of them are worthless or guaranteed KO. There's no reason Samus should get a kamehameha wave while Donkey Kong just beats on his drums for a while.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think having to race for smash ball is good, but two things: it should take more than one or two powerful hits to break, and there should be visible indication of how close it is to breaking so people can strategize if/how they want to hit it.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I just want to play as Funky Kong in the next Donkey Kong Punch Game.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Chaltab posted:

I think the more reasonable option is to make sure that none of them are worthless or guaranteed KO. There's no reason Samus should get a kamehameha wave while Donkey Kong just beats on his drums for a while.

Well, the kamehameha was one of the more balanced ones because you can avoid it. Same goes for most of the transformations (minus super sonic/landmaster), captain falcon's, marth's, Ike's (all avoidable and have limited range), etc.

The triple finish for pokemon trainer was easily avoided, but the camera zooms in on the pokemon for so long (who thought this was a good idea?) that it's easy to kill yourself trying to jump to safety.

Most of the other ones were either WAY too loving good like the Ganon rush, light arrows, Link combo, landmaster, etc. or totally worthless like Mario's.

I just don't know how they designed all of those, test-played them extensively, and saw nothing wrong with them.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm pretty sure Mr. Game and Watch's is the most underrated Final Smash in the game. I get way too many kills with that guy.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The solution is to take the two different ways there already were to unlock every character in Brawl, and add to them a third one, which is a button in the options menu that says "UNLOCK EVERY CHARACTER." Cake status: simultaneously had and eaten.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'm pretty sure Mr. Game and Watch's is the most underrated Final Smash in the game. I get way too many kills with that guy.

His is one of the most stage-dependent ones, though, although as long as you uncheck New Pork City and Hyrule Temple you'll probably have a good shot.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Bobnumerotres posted:

totally worthless like Mario's
Haha, what? I've turned many fights around with that flaming death wave.

(This is why Smash Bros fans can't have nice things: They can't agree on which things are nice.)

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Chaltab posted:

Haha, what? I've turned many fights around with that flaming death wave.

(This is why Smash Bros fans can't have nice things: They can't agree on which things are nice.)

No way. I have never gotten it to do whatever the hell it's supposed to, at any range or at any angle. People just get singed a bit and take <20% damage but never get KO'd or severely hurt.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
How did this thread go from people begging others not to engage in Smash chat, to genuine Smash chat in the space of, like, five posts?

Cherokee Jack
Dec 27, 2005

I've got a backwards compatibility question (Wii games) that I'm genuinely confused about. I can't find anything about this on Nintendo's site so maybe you guys can help me out.

I'm looking to get a few Wii games for the Wii U, including Xenoblade Chronicles and The Last Story. I just don't know which controller I'll be able to use. Can I use the Wii U GamePad? Or do I have to get a Wii U remote and subsequently a Classic controller to plug into that to play Wii games such as those?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Cherokee Jack posted:

I've got a backwards compatibility question (Wii games) that I'm genuinely confused about. I can't find anything about this on Nintendo's site so maybe you guys can help me out.

I'm looking to get a few Wii games for the Wii U, including Xenoblade Chronicles and The Last Story. I just don't know which controller I'll be able to use. Can I use the Wii U GamePad? Or do I have to get a Wii U remote and subsequently a Classic controller to plug into that to play Wii games such as those?

I'm sure that would work, but they're also releasing a "Pro Controller" that I think is independent of the Wiimotes:

Take that with a grain of salt, though, I don't actually know for sure.

Edit: Actually, have they confirmed that the Classic Controller will plug into the Wii U gamepad? I know you'll still be able to use the original wiimote & various add-ons with the Wii U, at least... for original Wii games and virtual console and stuff mostly, I would imagine.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Oct 12, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Cherokee Jack posted:

Wii games support all the standard Wii controllers - Wii Remote/Nunchuk, Classic Controller, MotionPlus, Balnace Board, etc - but will not support the Wii U Gamepad or Wii U Pro controller.

The Wii Classic Controller needs to be plugged into a Wiimote to work, so you'll need both if you don't have them already.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Bobnumerotres posted:

Well, in street fighter 4 for example, it's handled pretty well.

If you get your rear end handed to you, when you're on your last legs you'll unlock your super moves and maybe turn the tide, but even if you do land it there's a fat chance you're going to win. It's like a Star when you're in 12th place. It's not a bullet bill, it doesn't turn a sure loss into a victory, but it gives you some hope.

Additionally, the guy who handed your rear end to you also has his super moves from doing so well.

Without getting too much into a derail, Street Fighter IV is pretty much exactly what I refer to when I talk about games doing it wrong. The game just gives you too much for getting beat up, and there would be matches where doing well means you're limiting your own options because you're giving the opponent their Ultra. I think Persona 4 does the whole comeback mechanic thing better.

Anyway to bring it back to Smash, also remember how much longer you can last at high percentages compared to low life in other games - you still need a move of a certain threshold of power to knock someone out, so you can potentially hang onto any advantages being at high percentage gives you for a longer time if it makes you more of a threat. For example, if it was down to 1 stock each, I'd rather be Link with his final smash at 200% than without at 0. Now that's with Brawl mechanics so it's not entirely relevant, but imagine if that attack came just from me being at 200%?

Either way, if they're going to make final smashes a mechanic for less skilled players to have a chance, I'd rather they go all the way and make it something that works best for a party game (Hitting the ball). I'm totally in favor of balancing out the final smashes though. Also did anyone notice that items were just a lot iffier in Brawl? They felt either really strong or potential curses on the guy who used them. I like playing with items sometimes for the added excitement and randomness but I do like them to feel interesting and not like a coin flip.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Wii games support all the standard Wii controllers - Wii Remote/Nunchuk, Classic Controller, MotionPlus, Balnace Board, etc - but will not support the Wii U Gamepad or Wii U Pro controller.

The Wii Classic Controller needs to be plugged into a Wiimote to work, so you'll need both if you don't have them already.

This is pretty much a huge lost opportunity. Even a "Wii/Wii U" toggle switch would have been great.

Cherokee Jack
Dec 27, 2005

thexerox123 posted:

I'm sure that would work, but they're also releasing a "Pro Controller" that I think is independent of the Wiimotes:

Take that with a grain of salt, though, I don't actually know for sure.

Edit: Actually, have they confirmed that the Classic Controller will plug into the Wii U gamepad? I know you'll still be able to use the original wiimote & various add-ons with the Wii U, at least... for original Wii games and virtual console and stuff mostly, I would imagine.

I think it was NeoGaf (I know, I know) saying the new Pro wouldn't work with Wii games but I really don't know if that's 100% true or not. Nintendo's contact page basically just redirects to their Wii U page because they're not taking tech questions about the U at this time.

It's not the end of the world if I have to buy more controllers but it'd be nice if I didn't have to.

Fake edit time:

Ah poo poo. :(

Hey, knowing is half the battle or something, right? :unsmith:

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Cherokee Jack posted:

Since the console goes into a Wii Mode when playing Wii games, it doesn't look like we'll be able to use any Wii U controllers with them. However most Wii games including the two you mentioned don't require the Classic Controller and can be played with the remote and nunchuk instead.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

How did this thread go from people begging others not to engage in Smash chat, to genuine Smash chat in the space of, like, five posts?

As long as we're not talking about melee vs. brawl or any tired arguments. Just genuine discussion about the future smash title, which is fair game here since a lot of people are buying the U for the upcoming smash game.

I hope we at least get a peek next E3.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

So I got to play a bit of Wii U at New York Comic Con today. NSMBU was a let down for me, but it was entirely setup based. They were handing the gamepad to one player, giving three wii motes to the others and really not giving any direction as to what to do with the gamepad which made for a pretty terrible experience.

ZombiU I got limited time with because it had the longest times of any Wii U game but while controlling felt a bit difficult at first, I quickly got used to it. It was a bit cluttered because they weren't restarting the game so if two people die in one place, you have to deal with them on top of all the roaming zombies which made it pretty god drat tough.

Wonderful 101 just felt like pure chaos. Most of the time I felt like I barely knew what I was doing but I definitely enjoyed it. It has a bit of a Pikmin vibe to it in that you help ordinary citizens and round them up to join your gang of heroes. That game is ridiculously fun.

I was shocked at how light the controller was and how natural it felt in my hands. People talked about the Wii mote being perfect because it emulates a tv remote, something people are used to. The gamepad just seemed to fit perfectly in my hands. As far as other games on play, they had a few nintendo land games on tap, game & warior, Pikmin 3 (they had people using wii motes as opposed to the gamepad so I passed on that one), Tank Tank Tank, Tekken Tag 2, Ninja Gaiden, and Arkham City. I'll probably try out Tekken 2 and Tank Tank Tank tomorrow should the volume of people cooperate.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

Akileese posted:

Wonderful 101 just felt like pure chaos. Most of the time I felt like I barely knew what I was doing but I definitely enjoyed it. It has a bit of a Pikmin vibe to it in that you help ordinary citizens and round them up to join your gang of heroes. That game is ridiculously fun.

This makes me happy. New IPs seem to be less frequent these days, with sequels ruling the sales charts, and the trailer for this one was intriguing, so I was hoping it would end up being worth a try.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
At NYCC today I talked to the guys making HAWKEN, the F2P Mecha Battle FPS, and got them thinking about a Wii U port sometime in the future. Gonna show them Kid Icarus's control scheme tomorrow. HAWKEN runs in Unreal 3 so a port isn't impossible.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Can this be sourced? We don't even know a single thing about the Wii U's OS yet. If what you said was true, Nintendo would have to make two separate Virtual Console stores so that future releases would work on the gamepad.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
I don't know how many people are aware, but the GamePad also has a Wii Remote Sensor bar built in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jq_hkLKKu50&t=46s

So Wii games might be playable on the Gamepad screen. But is the Gamepad capable of going into a Wii mode so that we could use the Gamepad buttons instead of a Wii Remote and Classic Controller? There's a few things like this that need to be answered.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Quest For Glory II posted:

Can this be sourced? We don't even know a single thing about the Wii U's OS yet. If what you said was true, Nintendo would have to make two separate Virtual Console stores so that future releases would work on the gamepad.

They've said this repeatedly, it's come up a million times in this thread, I can't be arsed sourcing it again. They've also said that VC transfer from Wii may not be available on day one.

Super Camper
Jan 22, 2012

Bombadilillo posted:

I'd like the Black Knight from Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance. I like the slow devastating hitters.

Yeah Zelgius would be an awesome addition to the series. Theres alot of fire emblem characters out there that I think would do well in the SSB series.

Super Camper
Jan 22, 2012

Well its difficult to avoid smash discussion because SSB4 will be one of the Wii U's most popular games. I, and no doubt probably many others, are gonna get the Wii U just to play SSB4.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Chaltab posted:

For Metroid I'd love to see Anthony Higgs or Armstrong Houston.
I'm glad somebody remembered him :colbert:.

DoctorWhat posted:

At NYCC today I talked to the guys making HAWKEN, the F2P Mecha Battle FPS, and got them thinking about a Wii U port sometime in the future. Gonna show them Kid Icarus's control scheme tomorrow. HAWKEN runs in Unreal 3 so a port isn't impossible.
Wouldn't a nunchuck+remote scheme be better for aiming?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Your mileage may vary. Optimally you could use either style.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xm6GmLsPFlk

New ZombiU trailer from New York Comic-Con

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

AngryCaterpillar posted:

I don't know how many people are aware, but the GamePad also has a Wii Remote Sensor bar built in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jq_hkLKKu50&t=46s

So Wii games might be playable on the Gamepad screen. But is the Gamepad capable of going into a Wii mode so that we could use the Gamepad buttons instead of a Wii Remote and Classic Controller? There's a few things like this that need to be answered.

The first reveal video had a guy put the screen on the ground and hit a golf ball off it with the remote IR (or IR to initially position and motion to swing, or whatever since its a fake example video anyhow.)
I'd be surprised if it's meant for you to play Wii games with since to see at all you'd probably be too close for pointer controls to work great.

edit: Oh they said you won't. I should read the page I'm posting on.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Oct 12, 2012

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Teenage Fansub posted:

edit: Oh they said you won't. I should read the page I'm posting on.

Not that I expect it to happen, but using the gamepad to play Wii games isn't the same as switching the display of Wii games to the gamepad screen.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I saw a kotaku blurb that Nintendo has gone from calling NSMB 1080p to just calling it "hd". I really hope it's 1080p. It's a simple enough game, it really should be able to be full HD. Is blops still claiming full hd and 60fps? If they can do it I would really think mario could.

Of course this is really probably just kotaku idiots over reacting to insignificant change in verbiage by Nintendo.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Hasn't call of duty, since cod4 always been <720p at 60 fps?

Also I've been hearing for the longest that mario runs at 720p. Which I don't understand since as you said it's simple, they did nothing fancy with the visuals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Eurogamer has some more about that 720/1020 thing:

Eurogamer posted:

Nintendo removes Mario Wii U 1080p claim

Nintendo has removed its claim that New Super Mario Bros. U will include 1080p support.

The developer yesterday boasted on its website that players would "experience Mario like never before... in full 1080p HD".

But, overnight, this sentence has been altered to promise the game "in high definition".

Nintendo has thus far demoed New Super Mario Bros. U in 720p, although 1080p would be perfectly feasible. The Wii U is designed to support the graphical format, and downloadable platformer Toki Tori will offer 1080p support at the console's launch.

Was it simply too good to be true, a feature Nintendo wasn't ready to announce? Or was it a mistake?

Nintendo has yet to respond to Eurogamer's requests for comment. We'll update if we hear back.
Source

• Locked thread