Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

KingOfZa posted:

Rocket Knight Adventures
Rocket Knight Adventures would be awesome on GCCX. It's not a hard game until the last couple levels, but it should be enough of a challenge to make it a good episode. Plus, it has one of the best first level songs in game history.

I personally would love to watch Arino try to tackle Little Nemo: The Dream Master, which is one of Capcom's best NES games that isn't Disney nor Mega Man... It's a shame that Capcom has gone from being one of the best third party developers to making a shitload of stupid moves including dropping Mega Man and having on-disc DLC that you have to buy to unlock. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I think I enjoy watching him try western-made games the most - the way he reacts to games like Prince of Persia, Battletoads and Flashback is really interesting to me for whatever reason.

KingOfZa
Jul 6, 2011

Obeast posted:

Rocket Knight Adventures would be awesome on GCCX. It's not a hard game until the last couple levels, but it should be enough of a challenge to make it a good episode. Plus, it has one of the best first level songs in game history.

I personally would love to watch Arino try to tackle Little Nemo: The Dream Master, which is one of Capcom's best NES games that isn't Disney nor Mega Man... It's a shame that Capcom has gone from being one of the best third party developers to making a shitload of stupid moves including dropping Mega Man and having on-disc DLC that you have to buy to unlock. :(

Oh I forgot about Little Nemo! That'd make for a really fun episode! The level themes of that game were so fun, and the gameplay is challenging enough to keep Arino busy for a while.

I think Monster Party could also make for a fun challenge as well. I'm not sure if the original Japanese version is different from the one released in America, but the bizarre dialog, enemies, and levels would defintely garner some interesting reactions from Arino.

KingOfZa fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Oct 11, 2012

AwwJeah
Jul 3, 2006

I like you!
While we're talking about our dream episodes, I really want to see a full fledged Roommania episode. He seemed to really enjoy himself and that game looked bizarre as gently caress. Though it's probably out of the question since it isn't 8 or 16-bit and he appeared to be really familiar with it.

drat I wish they'd do some Dreamcast episodes. Seaman would be hilarious to watch Arino figure out. There's so many weird, experimental Japanese games that were released on the Dreamcast. It'd be a goldmine of entertainment.

Contra 3 is my most anticipated SNES pick. I expect it would take Arino most of the day to get through the first level alone. Plus, there's a chance for some AD co-op fun/disappointment.

edit: OH! And Demon's Crest. FIRE BRANDUUU :argh:

AwwJeah fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Oct 11, 2012

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I think I enjoy watching him try western-made games the most - the way he reacts to games like Prince of Persia, Battletoads and Flashback is really interesting to me for whatever reason.

Boogerman, Clay Fighter, or Earthworm Jim could all be something to watch. Apparently Earthworm Jim is the only one released in Japan though. :(

kimpira
Jul 11, 2012

KingOfZa posted:

Oh I forgot about Little Nemo! That'd make for a really fun episode! The level themes of that game were so fun, and the gameplay is challenging enough to keep Arino busy for a while.

I think Monster Party could also make for a fun challenge as well. I'm not sure if the original Japanese version is different from the one released in America, but the bizarre dialog, enemies, and levels would defintely garner some interesting reactions from Arino.

This blew my mind when I found out, but it turns out that Monster Party never actually got a Japanese release. All the more reason to have them play it, since it's not very English-heavy and it would be entirely new to Japanese viewers.

Star Tropics is another title that amazingly never got a Japanese release, but it's English-heavy enough that it might be a bit more challenging to play.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

AwwJeah posted:

edit: OH! And Demon's Crest. FIRE BRANDUUU :argh:

You meant REDDO ARIMAAA, right? :spergin:

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

jyrque posted:

You meant REDDO ARIMAAA, right? :spergin:

Clover's Ghosts N Ghouls is probably the only time I've consciously preferred a non-localised term. 'Firebrand' is not Red Arimer. :saddowns: Mostly because now the Red Arino joke isn't as fun.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
I just watched the S.O.S. episode on the DVD and actually forgot how terrible the survivor AI was, which is too bad because I think the rest of the game looks pretty good for it's age. I'm surprised that Inoko MAX had the patience to stay over to get the good ending.

I don't have the SAGCCX version of the episode anymore since I watched it on my old netbook and had to delete it to make room for another episode, but was the part where (minor spoiler) Kibe called Inoko MAX and Arino asked him about his cell phone wallpaper in the actual episode, or was that part of the DVD cut? I don't remember seeing that part before, so I'm assuming it's part of the DVD cut.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Bocc Kob posted:

Boogerman, Clay Fighter, or Earthworm Jim could all be something to watch. Apparently Earthworm Jim is the only one released in Japan though. :(
How about A Boy and His Blob? It's pretty slow going, but I think Arino would appreciate all the figuring-out and trial-and-error he'd have to do. It got a Japanese release in 1990 (as "Mysterious Blobby: Crisis in Blobania").

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Corridor posted:

Clover's Ghosts N Ghouls is probably the only time I've consciously preferred a non-localised term. 'Firebrand' is not Red Arimer. :saddowns: Mostly because now the Red Arino joke isn't as fun.

That really confused me because I thought the enemy is Red Arremer and Firebrand is just the one you play as in the Gargoyle's Quest games.

SmockJoc
Oct 4, 2004

kimpira posted:

Star Tropics is another title that amazingly never got a Japanese release, but it's English-heavy enough that it might be a bit more challenging to play.

I gave Arino Star Tropics when I met him so I can always dream that he'll challenge it someday. :allears:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Obeast posted:

While Winsor McCay is in the public domain the Little Nemo game is based on an animated movie from the 80's. There may be a licensing issue there, though if they could get Robocop...

Obeast posted:

I don't have the SAGCCX version of the episode anymore since I watched it on my old netbook and had to delete it to make room for another episode, but was the part where (minor spoiler) Kibe called Inoko MAX and Arino asked him about his cell phone wallpaper in the actual episode, or was that part of the DVD cut? I don't remember seeing that part before, so I'm assuming it's part of the DVD cut.

That's part of the DVD cut. There's a lot of little, scattered footage throughout the episode that's different; an extended sequence here, another aside there. Ninja Gaiden has the same kind extended edit.

Similarly the Wing of Madoola episode didn't have any of the Kibe stuff in the broadcast version. It's solid gold material but I think it takes two or three minutes of air time so when something that to be cut...

Battle Golfer Yui on the other hand is very similar to the broadcast version except the playoff with Emoto at the end was not in the original.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
From yesterday:

Heti posted:

I wonder what he thinks of RE6. I haven't seen any japanese perspectives on it at all.

It's doing quite well in Japan, apparently.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

I played the demo and I really enjoyed it. They fixed every problem I had with previous RE games (mainly the tank controls). Of course, I also liked Resident Evil 5 and don't really like any of the ones before 4. So I guess I'm the new target demographic?

I loved the changes they made. Being able to move and shoot is a great, as well as being able to melee freely from one button instead of readying it or as a command prompt.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

Corridor posted:

In the localization, Firebrand is a Red Arremer so both terms can be used and the joke still sticks.

From Marvel vs. Capcom 3: "Firebrand is a type of gargoyle known as a Red Arremer. He will stand up to any threat posed to his home, the Demon Village, without any fear. Firebrand is considered to be an elite warrior among the Red Arremers, gaining him hero status among his peers."

Or did they not use the term Red Arremer at all? Been behind on watching stuff and haven't gotten a chance to see their Ghouls'n Ghosts release.

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Oct 11, 2012

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

zari-gani posted:

In the localization, Firebrand is a Red Arremer so both terms can be used and the joke still sticks.

From Marvel vs. Capcom 3: "Firebrand is a type of gargoyle known as a Red Arremer. He will stand up to any threat posed to his home, the Demon Village, without any fear. Firebrand is considered to be an elite warrior among the Red Arremers, gaining him hero status among his peers."

Or did they not use the term Red Arremer at all? Been behind on watching stuff and haven't gotten a chance to see their Ghouls'n Ghosts release.

They refer to the monster as Firebrand exclusively, even when there's more than one on screen.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

PureRok posted:

I played the demo and I really enjoyed it. They fixed every problem I had with previous RE games (mainly the tank controls). Of course, I also liked Resident Evil 5 and don't really like any of the ones before 4. So I guess I'm the new target demographic?

Man, you would get torn apart out there in the wild internet for saying something like that.

Anyway, I never even realized Red Arremer was Firebrand in the Clover version, guess I'm just used to both of those names.

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

zari-gani posted:

The Japanese version of UMvC3 actually calls him Red Arremer though :v:

Interestingly, Red Arremer was a hidden boss in SNK vs. Capcom - SvC Chaos for the Neo-Geo, and was called Red Arremer in both the Japanese and English versions, no mention of the name Firebrand. But the less said about that game the better...

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Shock Trooper posted:

He's known simply as Red Arremer there. The name Firebrand was made up for the localized version of the GnG franchise and hasn't ever come up in Japan. Don't know why they gave him a proper name in the first place. For making him more of an individual in Gargoyle's Quest, I guess?

VVV Wonder why they did that... Why not just make it Firebrand?

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Oct 12, 2012

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Shock Trooper posted:

Interestingly, Red Arremer was a hidden boss in SNK vs. Capcom - SvC Chaos for the Neo-Geo, and was called Red Arremer in both the Japanese and English versions, no mention of the name Firebrand. But the less said about that game the better...

That Red Arremer wasnt supposed to be Firebrand, but some other member of the Red Arremer tribe. No idea why I know this or why I cared to find out in the first place.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

zari-gani posted:

It seems reasonable to differentiate if you want the character to be a hero or villain.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

zari-gani posted:

You can't just blatantly disregard proper Ghosts'n Goblins canon like that. It'll mess up the chronology of events as chronicled in the main game series! :argh:

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

elf help book posted:

It seems reasonable to differentiate if you want the character to be a hero or villain.

That makes sense. Does that mean none of the Red Arremers seen in the GNG games are Firebrand?

Kan wrote a blog entry about his birthday and mentioned that two messages stood out in his mind, one of them being mine! I wrote "whenever I read your blog and Twitter, I can tell you really love your job." The other message he liked was from a comedian (Yamaguchi) who said "thank you for drawing out Arino's potential/talent." And then the staff gave him a little Kan figure. Pics of the cake, brought out by Chief Arino himself (taken by AD Matsumura, who made her show debut in the Karnov ep). He was there to film a challenge.

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Oct 12, 2012

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

zari-gani posted:

That makes sense. Does that mean none of the Red Arremers seen in the GNG games are Firebrand?

Kan wrote a blog entry about his birthday and mentioned that two messages stood out in his mind, one of them being mine! I said "whenever I read your blog and Twitter, I can tell you really love your job." The other message he liked was from a comedian (Yamaguchi) who said "thank you for drawing out Arino's potential/talent." And then the staff gave him a little Kan figure. Pics of the cake, brought out by Chief Arino himself (taken by AD Matsumura, who made her show debut in the Karnov ep). He was there to film a challenge.

Gascoin really likes those strawberries with the googly eyes.

What is that thing next to figure-Kan? Can't make it out.

(Also who is that baby in the other photos and why is she in the office?)

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Corridor posted:

Gascoin really likes those strawberries with the googly eyes.

What is that thing next to figure-Kan? Can't make it out.

I want strawberries with googly eyes on my birthday cake. And I think that white thing next to the figure is a tiny dragon? The woman holding the baby is Tanabe, a desk worker at Gascoin, and I'm guessing the baby is her kid.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Corridor posted:

How quickly we forget the old ADs.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

zari-gani posted:

He's got better things to do then tease some wimp running around in his underwear.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

I just got my DVD set today, thanks for your hard work everyone!

OrochiKiyo
Sep 9, 2012

Shock Trooper posted:

I wouldn't put much stock in SvC Chaos' localization anyway, it was a typical SNKglish translation. Mind you, none of the lines approach the nuttiness of "Your bloody kill I wish to realize" or "All creature will die and all things will be broken. That's the law of Samurai!", but still.

troubbble
Oct 12, 2012
since we're apparently not allowed to lurk anymore, i just signed up for something awful. wanted to take this occasion to thank zani-gani for her awesome commitment to translating this show. nothing makes me happier than seeing a new episode waiting for me when i come around! <3

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

JetGrind
Apr 5, 2012

Tagging the streets and humming the bassline.
Although I'm still watching season 2, I decided to jump forward today and watch the In USA Special. Now that I've seen Arino play KoF with a half naked man, ask an entire crowd if they know the Kacho, constantly talk about how he is tired from the trip, and just generally do things throughout the entire special I have come to the realization that this is one of my favorite shows ever made at this point. Thanks for the translations, folks. If it weren't for you, I would never have been able to witness this great show. Keep up the good work, it just wouldn't be the same without you.

compounded daily
Mar 29, 2007

:buddy:
Fun Shoe
Now that I've fully caught up with all the non-DVD episodes, I'll jump in and say thanks as well! Seriously, you guys are amazing. I've been watching and re-watching this show for months now, it's become a big part of my daily life. The first moment I can, I will buy the DVDs to support the continued release of this show. Thanks so much for all the hard work!

AwwJeah
Jul 3, 2006

I like you!
I don't know if an Americanized GCCX rip off will ever surface, but I'm genuinely surprised that the format of this show hasn't taken off with YouTube users who enjoy doing Let's Plays. Maybe it's because it's tough to get a team of people together and really sell it. GCCX is pretty much what I've always wanted out of a Let's Play video but nothing has even come close to holding my attention like this show. I always liked the idea of LP's but they usually become mind numbingly boring after awhile.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

AwwJeah posted:

I don't know if an Americanized GCCX rip off will ever surface, but I'm genuinely surprised that the format of this show hasn't taken off with YouTube users who enjoy doing Let's Plays. Maybe it's because it's tough to get a team of people together and really sell it. GCCX is pretty much what I've always wanted out of a Let's Play video but nothing has even come close to holding my attention like this show. I always liked the idea of LP's but they usually become mind numbingly boring after awhile.

The problem is that your average youtube puke isnt likable, doesnt have proper equipment and doesnt want to pay for it, and has no ability to edit footage into something coherent and interesting.

Even more than the lovability of the staff, the editing is really what saves the show from being the most boring thing in the world.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
My DVD box materialized itself in the mail today. It was slightly smaller in size than I had expected but better so for actually displaying it on my DVD shelf which is miniscule to speak with. From a quick test on a European model PS3, the DVDs run just fine, even though the set is marked for NTSC. I hope this is as intended but if not, I hope zari-gani can relay us Europeans' message to DiscoTek:

some european GCCX fan posted:

Please keep any future GCCX DVDs region free. Thank you.

Since the box itself has been photographed to this thread time after time, I'll share the intro screen of DVD one:

It just made me :3: how retro video thematic the DVD version is from the get go.

Is it just my PS3 or are the episode subtitles really huge in size? Like physically huge on the screen.

I also confirm something I haven't noticed in the SAGCCX translated episodes: any moving image taken from a game flickers slightly. It must be something to do with differing frequency rate between the game that is captured to video, DVD and my LCD screen. It's just that I've never noticed this in any video file of GCCX, ever.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Following on from the DarknessSavior stuff, he's apparently released another one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPW6pXpFP1o

I haven't watched it yet, so I dunno how it is.

e:

Corridor fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Oct 12, 2012

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

DarknessSavior posted:

In Japanese, they call the place the "Galactic Science Academy", with "academy" from English.

I doubt that was required to understand the localization.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
The note existing makes me more confused than I would have been without it. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Yeah... I'm glad that he's doing them, since I think ZG wasn't ever planning to, but there's a lot of things that jar. Like...

Arino: Whoa, he got even bigger than before!
Kan: Kraid gets even bigger than before.

It's nothing terrible or detrimental, just lots of little things. :( I guess ZG has spoiled me.