Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

etalian posted:

Fat ship for fat Lee captain.

Makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

I just have to tell you all again to grab a joystick and play Diaspora. It's the BSG game we've always wanted.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Daimo posted:

I just have to tell you all again to grab a joystick and play Diaspora. It's the BSG game we've always wanted.

Yup, it's amazing.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

As an added bonus, play it for the first time when you've been up for at least 24 hours :suicide:

Kempo Yellow Belt
Jan 5, 2012
Fun Shoe

DarkCrawler posted:

Yup, it's amazing.

Downloading now. It looks great. There hasn't been a good space flight sim that has gotten my attention since X-wing v. Tie Fighter, and the other installments of that series.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

truth masseuse posted:

Downloading now. It looks great. There hasn't been a good space flight sim that has gotten my attention since X-wing v. Tie Fighter, and the other installments of that series.

Well then you missed out on FreeSpace 2! (Diaspora should demonstrate this pretty well.)

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

monkeyharness posted:

I'm still hoping this somehow gets picked up. Amazing show.

I was in Seattle last year for a climbing trip, and only had one extra day in the city, but I went to the EMP museum, which was running the Battlestar Galactica exhibit. They had a couple of full sized prop ships in there, some cylons, lots of clothing and equipment props (Starbuck's flight suit from the new series, an old and new style pilot helmet, Six's red dress, etc).

As a kid who grew up watching the old series (and who's awesome parents even made my older brother get in a decorated refrigerator box with lights and dials to play a computer for a Battlestar-themed birthday), it was really cool to see some of that stuff in person.

I'll have to try and find some of the photos I took and post them up.

Saw that same exhibit. Absolutely loved it, but the no flash photography thing was tough. It was not very well lit, which made for a good experience but I have to seriously strain myself to see the pictures.

This show never stops being relevant. There's a different aspect of it that applies to my life every few months. This time, she and I thought we were Roslin and Adama. Turns out we're more like Starbuck and Apollo :(

Sometimes you just gotta roll a hard six, grab your gun and bring in the cat :colbert:

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Astroman posted:

I didn't really "hate" either ending, though I was more satisfied with how they left the characters in :lost:.

With that one, even as a continuity and exposition hungry sci-fi nerd, I realized that the show was about the characters and their journey, not about the macguffins or technobabble. That stuff was neat, but that wasn't the point. And we got to see a "50 years later" (or 1000 or whatever for Hurley and Ben) where they meetup in Purgatory and everyone is happy and actualized and going to Heaven or whatever. We got to see how the events of the Island affected them, whether they died there or years later and how they affected each other and the world. So that was cool. I didn't need more.

I could not possibly disagree more about Lost. Think back to the first few season, and how it was presented and marketed. The show was always about the mystery. What's the deal with the island, who are the others, whats in the vault, what is the smoke monster, etc. No one watched the first season and then stuck around for 5 more seasons just cause they wanted to see if Kate would pick Jack or Sawyer, or if the Korean couple would be able to fix their marriage, or if Charlie could kick his drug habit. The writers trying to change the entire premise of the show at the end to cover up their incredibly lazy writing, and acting like whoever doesn't like it just "didn't get Lost" is ridiculous.

There were certainly things I didn't like about the end of BSG, but since the rest of the show isn't built around this huge mystery you're waiting for at the end, it's still great to rewatch.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

counterfeitsaint posted:

the rest of the show isn't built around this huge mystery you're waiting for at the end

I'd argue that "Earth" was the huge mystery the entire show was built around.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Earth, Opera House, Final Five, head people, God...this show has plenty of huge mysteries waiting to be resolved. Granted, the satisfaction from those resolutions lies somewhere between getting smacked in the face with a wet turd and the ending of LOST but they exist....

Unlike LOST the good parts of the show are not at all reliant to those mysteries, so there is that.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

DarkCrawler posted:

Unlike LOST the good parts of the show are not at all reliant to those mysteries, so there is that.

This is mostly what I was trying (and failing) to say. Most of BSG stands on it's own.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
"Life has a melody, Gaius. A rhythm of notes that become your existence once played in harmony with God's plan."

That's from season 1. The fact that their universe is deterministic is certainly cryptic and mysterious, and that's what makes it poetic, pastoral, and beautiful. There isn't an answer beyond that, nor should there be. It's not a grand whodunit story; it's a parable about faith and intolerance and humanity's role in a vast, empty, wondrous galaxy.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

The mysteries in Lost were certainly the hook, but I don't think you can say it wasn't a character driven show. One of the central storytelling devices was having character centric epsiodes with flashbacks to that character's past. Genre wise Lost was primarily a Sci-Fi Drama, just like BSG.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I feel like Lost was so much more about how characters dealt with not knowing than finding out what those things were. In other words, much like BSG, it's very much about faith. Some characters embraced what they could not know and said "There is purpose here. Let's roll with it," and others said "No, we have free will. There is no such thing as fate. This is nonsense." And then the viewers wound up being on either side of it as well, which is kind of amazing.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Sub Rosa posted:

The mysteries in Lost were certainly the hook, but I don't think you can say it wasn't a character driven show. One of the central storytelling devices was having character centric epsiodes with flashbacks to that character's past. Genre wise Lost was primarily a Sci-Fi Drama, just like BSG.

The problem was that the characters didn't seem to be coherent. Sure they were revealing things about the characters as a hook, but it's not like the characters were actually growing and changing, except for Locke and Charlie. 90% of the time it was "holy poo poo doesn't that put a new twist on things!?!??" without actually having and character development that mattered in the present.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Snak posted:

The problem was that the characters didn't seem to be coherent. Sure they were revealing things about the characters as a hook, but it's not like the characters were actually growing and changing, except for Locke and Charlie. 90% of the time it was "holy poo poo doesn't that put a new twist on things!?!??" without actually having and character development that mattered in the present.

Another part of the gimmick was that whenever someone experienced character growth, the island killed them, so...

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum

DarkCrawler posted:

Opera House, Final Five
Yeah but these didn't even turn up until S2's finale and beyond.

I asked this question a year ago, but lost the answer and am now stuck with a small iPod. I'm in Vancouver (which smells lovely), and for some reason the bus stops remind me of BSG (or maybe Caprica), but I also started freaking out when I saw a random fountain, any help with actual BSGesque locations would be great.

Also does anyone know which mountain leads Tyrol to Eye of Jupiter? Been to the Rockies, and one of the pictures I took reminded me of it.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

incredible bear posted:

Yeah but these didn't even turn up until S2's finale and beyond.

Season 1's finale. I mean, that was the first time that we saw them, the writers didn't really have any idea beyond it.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I watched "Someone to Watch over Me" with a newbie, and of course, it remains a favorite. I just had to capture this shot, and though it looks better in motion, it's still so delectable. The light accentuating the contour of the profile, the smoke, the visual repetition between the two characters. I love BSG's cinematography so much.

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

Stand it like a man... and give some back
My wife and I along with one of our friends are watching BG for the first time on Netflix. We just finished "Scar" and the one after that where Billy dies. One thing I have noticed, those BG folks sure are boozers.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

CrushedWill posted:

My wife and I along with one of our friends are watching BG for the first time on Netflix. We just finished "Scar" and the one after that where Billy dies. One thing I have noticed, those BG folks sure are boozers.

If I lived on those ships I'd probably spent all my free time drinking too.

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

Stand it like a man... and give some back

DarkCrawler posted:

If I lived on those ships I'd probably spent all my free time drinking too.

I likely would too. But I find it interesting that BG seems to focus on the seedier side of the daily grind. None of the other space dramas I can remember seem to have had the same focus, but maybe they did and my brain has gone to mush.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Firefly kind of did, but no other space dramas have such a depressing setting. :(

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

CrushedWill posted:

I likely would too. But I find it interesting that BG seems to focus on the seedier side of the daily grind. None of the other space dramas I can remember seem to have had the same focus, but maybe they did and my brain has gone to mush.

That's probably because BSG is first and foremost a character drama which happens to be set in space, while the vast majority of other space-based scifi tends to be space drama which happens to involve characters.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Blood and Chrome HAS FOUND A HOME:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qj50xJhWdcM

http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/11/05/battlestar-galactica-prequel-date

Starts this Friday. Broken into ten 7-12 minute episodes. Full thing will air on Syfy early 2013 with an unrated home video release shortly afterwards.

Looks great.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Teek posted:

Looks great.

Great things do not get premiered on a tinpot youtube channel.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Blame Syfy, it's always their fault.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
That looks like ten kinds of poo poo. Perhaps because the only dialogue we hear is completely wooden and banal.

Not optimistic.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

This is the trailer that had me optimistic: http://io9.com/5895080/totally-badass-trailer-for-battlestar-galacticas-cylon-war-prequel-blood-and-chrome

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Well, if Bear McCreary did the music you can sure as hell bet that I'll watch the whole thing on that basis alone.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Glad to see it made the light of day in some form at least. :psylon:

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Flatscan posted:

Yeah, well, at least we're getting it.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

My main problem is that both those trailers look like FX show-reels rather than actual trailers. There's absolutely no indication of plot, characterisation or even dialogue except a short, horrible, voice-over. Combine that with syfy's obvious reluctance to even air the thing, and I'm not too hopeful.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I reckon I'll wait until it's released whole to watch it. Definitely comes across as being all about the effects, so will watch it out the tv in good quality.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Flatscan posted:

My main problem is that both those trailers look like FX show-reels rather than actual trailers. There's absolutely no indication of plot, characterisation or even dialogue except a short, horrible, voice-over. Combine that with syfy's obvious reluctance to even air the thing, and I'm not too hopeful.

I'm glad it's finally being released, even if it does turn out to be garbage(likely), at least it's out and we won't have to wonder. I'd rather wait to see the whole thing at once on TV but I doubt I'd be able to stop myself - or maybe I'll figure a couple mini-episodes were enough and save myself some time!

Updated the OP as well.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Flatscan posted:

They aired the Halo web-series thing that was okay and infact a bunch of actors from that are also in Blood and Chrome according to it's IMDB page.

Halo 4 - Forward Unto Dawn:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfJVgXBfSH8
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2262308/

But yeah, at least we are getting blood and chrome.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Flatscan posted:

Exactly. I see "oh noes, Caprica is bombed" and then everyone is happy to be graduating from flight academy? And is the on-foot part supposed to fit in somehow on another planet?

Unless the movie happens to be like 75% awesome space battles. What exactly is some strange industrial facility on a cold mountain region supposed to be about (I didn't get through all of Caprica, sorry).

And was the VO in the trailer someone quoting Adama? Almost certain it sounded like it.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

Sober posted:

Unless the movie happens to be like 75% awesome space battles. What exactly is some strange industrial facility on a cold mountain region supposed to be about (I didn't get through all of Caprica, sorry).

In Razor, Young-Adama finds a Cylon research facility / basestar parked up on an icy moon where they're attempting to create hybrids. So, at a guess, that.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Sober posted:

And was the VO in the trailer someone quoting Adama? Almost certain it sounded like it.

No, that was Adama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I do dig the shots of Cap City getting wasted, and the TOS style Raiders and other ships are pretty cool.

• Locked thread