Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
And yet PS1 games can largely be played on three separate devices from one PSN account.

Not that Nintendo OWES anyone anything similar- it's not like they're forcing me to buy a game I already own, as when i bought it I had no expectation it would then be playable on every new device- but drat would that be a great incentive. It might have pushed me to get a Wii U or a 3DS quicker than I currently plan to. Being able to transfer old VC purchases is nice but it means no Gamecube controller functionality for the N64 titles, some of which feel a lot better on that controller than the Classic, and the only thing gained really (maybe) is the possibility of the games eventually maybe being tied to an account rather than the hardware, making hardware failure less of a pain in the rear end. I think whatever I have purchased currently is staying on the Wii and future purchases will be on the Wii U whenever I get around to getting it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Bombadilillo posted:

you shouldnt worry about the resolution with games.

Lot of defeatists in this thread. I don't know how you could live in this current gaming world and not go 'you know what? It super blows that it's a rare thing for a game to natively fit my screen.'

I'll trust that it was a necessity to keep 60fps and AA on since full res is slightly less important than art or feel.

edit: Also, don't be fooled into thinking 2D games are inherently not complex. Super Meat Boy with everything on at 1080 can tax modern PCs.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Oct 12, 2012

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I won't kick up too much of a fuss over separate setups for Wii and Wii-U VC games as long as you automatically get the Wii-U version of a game once they release it.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Supercar Gautier posted:

I won't kick up too much of a fuss over separate setups for Wii and Wii-U VC games as long as you automatically get the Wii-U version of a game once they release it.
We're talking about Nintendo, you're rebuying that poo poo.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Quest For Glory II posted:

We're talking about Nintendo, you're rebuying that poo poo.

I feel like if they were playing that card, they wouldn't let you transfer and play Wii VC games at all.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Of course you can transfer your Wii stuff. I'm just saying you won't get a Wii and Wii U version of the same VC title. They'll make you rebuy it if you want to play it on the Gamepad. Nintendo's gonna Nintendo.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Yes I understand what you are saying and I don't agree, because "We'll let you play it on the system without paying again, but not in this particular way for some reason" does not sound like a remotely consistent policy.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I hope they do HD remakes of gamecube games and add some new features. They could re-release melee, star fox, mario sunshine, etc. rendered at 1080p, have online play when applicable.

But this is reaching for the stars. :(

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Supercar Gautier posted:

Yes I understand what you are saying and I don't agree, because "We'll let you play it on the system without paying again, but not in this particular way for some reason" does not sound like a remotely consistent policy.

They've already absolutely confirmed that Wii VC games have to be started inside Wii Mode, which doesn't allow for things like moving the game to the gamepad screen, which has been a marketing point of theirs for what the WiiU can do. How is that not a clear signal that their position is "We'll let you play it on the system without paying again, but not in this particular way"?

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Jumbled_Johnsons posted:

Or you haven't realized that Wii U couldn't have been done 6 years ago unless it cost some thousands of dollars?
Look at its' size, power usage, very modern GPU, the fact that it renders to two screens, one of which is on a wireless controller displaying with very low latency...or you mean that since the 360 launched in 2005, then the Wii U would have had to be considered 'next-gen' six years ago, in 2006...in which case, of course, you're correct in a way.

Unless, of course, the Wii hadn't existed and the Wii U had, in 2006, which would have put it in the same generation of consoles as the PS3 and the 360...

So which is it? Or are you just being negative and obtuse concerning what the Wii U does bring to the table, while ignoring the fact that it is the successor to the Wii, thereby making it 'next-gen' regardless?

Like others have said, I'm pretty glad that Nintendo is not just following the more power path, why would we need 4 platforms all playing the same games with similar control options?

Oh come on, you know exactly what TaurusOxford is saying: the Wii U is much, much closer in power to the current HD systems than a generational leap over them, just as the Wii was closer to the most powerful systems of the previous generation than it was the HD systems. Having seen what the generation after this is capable of, we really aren't nearing diminishing returns yet. Not even close.

I've probably spent a hundred hours with a Wii U now for work and I'm completely sold on it, but there's no harm in letting people speak the truth: this is barely one-upping tech from five or six years ago and by no measure is it a generational leap past them. It's going to do things none of the HD systems can do and will look better than them when third parties put forth the effort on multi-platform games, but let's be honest; the PlayStation/Xbox successors will be a proper generational leap forward in terms of processing power, and will end up making this generation's games look antiquated by comparison -- even the Wii U stuff.

Which is fine by me, because the Wii U will be doing things those other systems can't, just as they'll be doing the same. It's a distinct platform if nothing else and I want that poo poo real drat bad. Gimmie gimmie gimmie.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

TaurusOxford posted:

Don't worry. I'll beat the monsters for you while you hide behind your shield in fear. :smugbert:

I used to be a Lancer, but realized the game was easy mode that way. Loved the Switch-Axe to death before I stopped playing.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Bobnumerotres posted:

I hope they do HD remakes of gamecube games and add some new features. They could re-release melee, star fox, mario sunshine, etc. rendered at 1080p, have online play when applicable.

But this is reaching for the stars. :(

It's like free money if they do. They don't even have to do the converts, there are companies who do really good converts already.

Man, imagine HD Wind Waker, and the touch screen is now the Tingle Tuner.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

thefncrow posted:

They've already absolutely confirmed that Wii VC games have to be started inside Wii Mode, which doesn't allow for things like moving the game to the gamepad screen, which has been a marketing point of theirs for what the WiiU can do. How is that not a clear signal that their position is "We'll let you play it on the system without paying again, but not in this particular way"?

Oh great, now I get to repeat the first thing I posted to establish context, and we can go in a big circle of poor reading comprehension.

Actually, let me just lay it out: The Wii VC will have a separate library from the Wii-U VC. You can play games from the Wii VC library on your Wii-U. This is primarily for technical reasons, not marketing reasons, which is why it's such a jury-rigged setup. What I was proposing was that since they already allow you to play the games on the Wii-U without rebuying, it makes sense to grant access to the Wii-U VC versions of the games you own as they are gradually released.

Why put the effort into implementing the transfer system at all, if the intent is to gouge?

Supercar Gautier fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Oct 13, 2012

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Nintendo's intent is always to gouge as much s they can get away with. I don't think they could get away with you not having any of your Wii games anymore, but they can get away with reselling you updated versions. They do it all the time.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Lot of defeatists in this thread. I don't know how you could live in this current gaming world and not go 'you know what? It super blows that it's a rare thing for a game to natively fit my screen.'

I'll trust that it was a necessity to keep 60fps and AA on since full res is slightly less important than art or feel.

edit: Also, don't be fooled into thinking 2D games are inherently not complex. Super Meat Boy with everything on at 1080 can tax modern PCs.

It's not that resolution isn't important or anything, just that it's silly to worry about whether a lot of games will be at 1080p on the Wii U when so many games this generation were not even really 720p, just up scaled to that. What inevitably happens is that devs have to choose between 1080p or more impressive graphical effects to sell their game, and it's obvious thus far which choice has been more popular. I definitely see a lot of games running at less than the max resolution this next generation of consoles will be able to output.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Nintendo hasn't said anything at all about selling or even releasing separate Wii U versions of VC games, so it's just as likely that they won't offer an alternative at all. Speculating on what they will or won't do is a complete waste of time because it's impossible to predict, and because they're not going to bother outlining any of this stuff until it's ready to go.

RE: the whole resolution thing, the last time this topic came up people went from complaining about the amount of P's to admitting that they couldn't tell the difference anyway.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
As long as there's good anti-aliasing then a 720p bump will be good enough for most games. New Super Mario Bros. Wii never looked quite good on any common display- either you played letterboxed on a CRT, or played it in widescreen on your HDTV but dealt with some gnarly jaggies. NSMBU is a lot easier on the eyes.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.
Did the Activision rep at the Sep. 13th event say something to the effect that Wii U gave them more leeway for framerate/resolution for CoD?

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.
The rep specifically said that Black Ops 2 on the Wii U would be in Full HD and 60fps. Whether or not that means 720p or 1080p is not clear, but that will of course be easy to calculate once direct cap screens start showing up.

microwave casserole
Jul 5, 2005

my god, what are you doing

SamBishop posted:

Having seen what the generation after this is capable of, we really aren't nearing diminishing returns yet. Not even close.

Are you basing this on stuff like Star Wars 1313, Unreal Engine 4, and the Final Fantasy demo? Or do you know ~secrets?~ This isn't supposed to be a trap or something dumb, I'm genuinely curious.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

zenintrude posted:

Add to OP, please:

You EUs are getting the best possible bundle.

I won't put the picture in because it only applies in the European region and people skimming the OP will think it's available everywhere. The info is already in the OP, and I hope you know this because it's disheartening to have multiple people in this thread asking stuff like "does the gamepad have rumble?" when I've already laid all this stuff out as best I can.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Supercar Gautier posted:

Why put the effort into implementing the transfer system at all, if the intent is to gouge?

Because the strategy on the WiiU is to carry over as many of their casual users as they can while adding the sort of "hardcore gamer" that wants something other than Wiimote-based mini-game collections. Part of making that transition easy is assuring everyone that, don't worry, you're not going to lose anything by making the upgrade. Your Wii games will work on the new system, as will all of your controllers and any digital purchases you've made.

If they told everyone up front that stuff wouldn't port over, it'd make for a rockier transition for existing Wii owners. Instead, they tell everyone the stuff ports, stick it in a compatibility mode that doesn't any of the new system's features, and 9 months to a year later you start selling WiiU versions of content that people already bought on the Wii, probably starting with upscaled renditions of popular Wii games (Super Mario Galaxy in 1080P for only $20!) before you get into the VC catalog.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

AngryCaterpillar posted:

I won't put the picture in because it only applies in the European region and people skimming the OP will think it's available everywhere. The info is already in the OP, and I hope you know this because it's disheartening to have multiple people in this thread asking stuff like "does the gamepad have rumble?" when I've already laid all this stuff out as best I can.

Sorry. I didn't check out the OP and I was just a little skeptical that a device with a big screen and at that form factor would bother with rumble.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

DoctorWhat posted:

Sorry. I didn't check out the OP and I was just a little skeptical that a device with a big screen and at that form factor would bother with rumble.

Same here. So glad rumble's in. I doubt it will be strong rumble though. I imagine it will be closer to the Wiimote's rumble than the gamecube's rumble.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

evilalien posted:

The rep specifically said that Black Ops 2 on the Wii U would be in Full HD and 60fps. Whether or not that means 720p or 1080p is not clear, but that will of course be easy to calculate once direct cap screens start showing up.

I guess there is no need to wait now as this bit of news came out earlier where an Activision publicist says that it is not native 1080p:
http://gotgame.com/2012/10/12/activision-says-wii-u-version-of-black-ops-2-not-natively-1080p/

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

microwave casserole posted:

Are you basing this on stuff like Star Wars 1313, Unreal Engine 4, and the Final Fantasy demo? Or do you know ~secrets?~ This isn't supposed to be a trap or something dumb, I'm genuinely curious.
Man I don't know why I'm so picky but none of those demos made me think "this would be totally compromised if it had to be ported to current gen systems." They're certainly beautiful looking but you could turn the graphical settings down to get them on current gen systems and they would probably be identical from a gameplay standpoint. It's not like Dead Rising Wii, where it -never- had a chance because the Wii couldn't render that much poo poo onscreen at once and it was a dumb game to try and port. I think that the Wii U would be fine when the next systems come out. And if the Wii U is the clear sales leader when the other systems arrive then you'd think it would make sense for developers to port their games.

Maybe the Square tech demo does things that would be impossible to replicate, but... I wouldn't have a lot of confidence in a Square JRPG that had to be made at that fidelity... FF13 was already dogshit at HD fidelity, a next-gen FF would probably end up just being battles linked by cutscenes like Infinity Blade.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Oct 13, 2012

microwave casserole
Jul 5, 2005

my god, what are you doing
There will always be more graphical advances to strive for, but there's also the question of it selling enough extra copies to be worth the extra cost. But that wasn't what I was asking about. I was fishing to see if journalists are already getting previews of MS and Sony's next consoles.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
There are already lots of rumours about the make-up of the other next-gen consoles, many of which are very credible, but even the most optimistic speculation isn't putting either of them much further ahead of the average game enthusiast's PC. Anyone expecting some sort of massive leap from what we're seeing today, even just on consoles, is gonna be disappointed.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

I haven't seen any bit of speculation better than the older PC I just gave my wife, honestly.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It's pretty frustrating that nothing is in native 1080p. Not just on WiiU, on anything. I think my HD cable is 1080i, every one of my game consoles the only thing in 1080p is my Metal Gear Solid HD collection. It seems like two or so years ago, 1080p became the standard for a $500 decent sized television, where earlier it was just 720p, but entertainment companies haven't caught up yet.

I'm glad the WiiU is at least native 720p as far as I can tell, since most games aren't even that on other consoles yet.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

BluRay's, PC resolution and a couple of PS3 games are about the only things that are natively 1080p.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

BluRay's, PC resolution and a couple of PS3 games are about the only things that are natively 1080p.

And this is for a reason. Both the 360 and PS3 don't have the power to output a lot of things in 1080p, and as others have said, the game looking smooth and anti-aliased is a lot more important (and way more noticeable) than the game being rendered at higher resolutions.

Even on PC, rendering modern games at 1080p with all the bells and whistles on is very taxing unless you have an incredibly beefy machine, and unless you want the next Xbox/PS3 to cost >$500, they're not going to have SLI'd super video cards and 4 Gb of GDDR RAM, etc.

By the way, look up what these next-gen demos are running on. I remember when the first UE4 trailer came out they kind of embarrassingly admitted it was running on three absolutely top-end video cards SLI'd together and a wattage that would make the neighborhood lights go dim.

EDIT: And as others have been saying, it won't matter what the other machines have if the U swallows the market. Developers will continue making games for the platform their games will sell on, and port up if they have to (likely without any effort as we've seen in this gen).

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Oct 13, 2012

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here

Bobnumerotres posted:

EDIT: And as others have been saying, it won't matter what the other machines have if the U swallows the market. Developers will continue making games for the platform their games will sell on, and port up if they have to (likely without any effort as we've seen in this gen).

While sure this is possible I really hope people aren't pre ordering the Wii U and expecting this outcome. When was the last time Nintendo pulled that off? The snes? The Wii U will be good but I fully expect to own it and at least one more console to be able to play third party games on.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
I think the next generation won't bring the incredible leaps, but there are still things that significant boost of extra power will do, little things that can make a huge difference. I was watching some gameplay footage last night of The Last of Us and Star Wars 1313 to compare them. One thing that immediately strikes me about TLoU compared to 1313 is that Joel's clothes are so stiff. His shirt doesn't respond to the movements of his body and his sleeves stay rolled up to his elbows in defiance of gravity. In 1313 the two Republic troopers have outfits that deform and move with them, which is a subtle thing that adds a lot to the overall presentation.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Atomicated posted:

While sure this is possible I really hope people aren't pre ordering the Wii U and expecting this outcome. When was the last time Nintendo pulled that off? The snes? The Wii U will be good but I fully expect to own it and at least one more console to be able to play third party games on.
I'm not convinced the next Xbox or Playstation will be here until sometime in 2014 so I think it's very plausible. We're talking a possible 16-20 month head start for the successor to one of the most financially successful consoles ever.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Bobnumerotres posted:

Even on PC, rendering modern games at 1080p with all the bells and whistles on is very taxing unless you have an incredibly beefy machine, and unless you want the next Xbox/PS3 to cost >$500, they're not going to have SLI'd super video cards and 4 Gb of GDDR RAM, etc.

Eh, not saying you don't need a decent PC set up, but 1080p is a long way from needing SLI'd GTX 690's and 16 GB of RAM or whatever.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I have a cheap non-gaming laptop that can run Skyrim at 1080p on low settings. My gaming PC loving crushes Skyrim at 1080p and I bought it last year on a serious budget; I cannibalized some non-essential parts and spent around $600 on it. What I'm saying here is that 1080p is not a terribly high mark to hit anymore, all the dudes who want to spend $1200+ on their computer now shoot for 2560x1600 and over.

I also think that resolution is more important than antialiasing in particular. Even when you're not just downsampling from an even higher resolution(which is a form of AA in itself), higher res images seem to have some sort of an AA effect, at least to me. You get a more detailed, better looking image all around. Way better than just smearing vaseline on the lens and calling it a day with AA.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Chaltab posted:

I think the next generation won't bring the incredible leaps, but there are still things that significant boost of extra power will do, little things that can make a huge difference. I was watching some gameplay footage last night of The Last of Us and Star Wars 1313 to compare them. One thing that immediately strikes me about TLoU compared to 1313 is that Joel's clothes are so stiff. His shirt doesn't respond to the movements of his body and his sleeves stay rolled up to his elbows in defiance of gravity. In 1313 the two Republic troopers have outfits that deform and move with them, which is a subtle thing that adds a lot to the overall presentation.

1313 runs on the same engine that TFU2 runs on.

The game being pretty awful aside, it's one of those games that you look at and think "how the gently caress can it look this good?" but it is current-gen.

quote:

I'm not convinced the next Xbox or Playstation will be here until sometime in 2014 so I think it's very plausible. We're talking a possible 16-20 month head start for the successor to one of the most financially successful consoles ever.
Yeah. If everyone and their mother (literally) owns a Wii U and they consistently buy third party titles in big numbers, releasing a game only on the next xbox/ps4 because the extra processing power allows for some PhysX effects or a new kind of shader would be dumb as gently caress. This isn't Wii -> 360, it's going to be PS2 -> Xbox at best.

Unless, again, they're crazy and plan to launch 600 dollar consoles and take losses on each one sold.

quote:

I have a cheap non-gaming laptop that can run Skyrim at 1080p on low settings. My gaming PC loving crushes Skyrim at 1080p and I bought it last year on a serious budget; I cannibalized some non-essential parts and spent around $600 on it. What I'm saying here is that 1080p is not a terribly high mark to hit anymore, all the dudes who want to spend $1200+ on their computer now shoot for 2560x1600 and over.

Well sure, games like Skyrim and stuff don't take a lot to run proper. poo poo I've seen no-loving-around lenovo laptops run Skyrim on low-med settings.

Now, Witcher 2, Battlefield 3, etc. running at max and 1080p, there's few machines out there that can hit a smooth 60 FPS with these titles because they actually demand up-to-date hardware. Games like Skyrim are optimized for the old chips in the 360.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Oct 13, 2012

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Quest For Glory II posted:

Maybe the Square tech demo does things that would be impossible to replicate, but... I wouldn't have a lot of confidence in a Square JRPG that had to be made at that fidelity... FF13 was already dogshit at HD fidelity, a next-gen FF would probably end up just being battles linked by cutscenes like Infinity Blade.

What are you talking about? Did you play the ps3 version of it? It looked fantastic. And I don't know what that final bit about Infinity Blade has to do with anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Said computer can also run BF3 and Witcher 2 at high settings at 1080p. You can't turn on Witcher 2's ubersampling on a mid-range machine(if that's what you mean by "bells and whistles") but, duh, that's cheating anyway because it involves rendering the game at higher than 1080p.

For a game like The Witcher 2 I'd much prefer 1080p to 60fps anyway, if those are my choices.

• Locked thread