Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Just because of USB 2, I bet the WiiU will have to temporarily cache what you have on an external hard drive to it's internal storage each time you run something just like what the Wii does with stuff stored on an SD card.
If true, that would rule out full Xbox style disc installs.

USB2 is faster than typical consumer optical media. There really shouldn't be any issue, especially because streaming techniques have been developing in much more elaborate ways ever since the PS1 days. It was once not as common for PC games, although there have been games for the PC that do a ton of streaming-style loads because of the big crossplatform poo poo over the past several years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

A small correction for the OP: Scribblenauts Unlimited isn't exclusive to WiiU and 3DS, it's coming to PC as well.

Source:

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Man. That's gonna be another really neat game that's going to be ignored for NSMB.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The other Scribblenauts games have been reasonably successful, so I'm sure this one will do okay, too. I think Scribblenauts is pretty much the only non-licensed, non-shovelware DS game by a western developer to really take off.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The other Scribblenauts games have been reasonably successful, so I'm sure this one will do okay, too. I think Scribblenauts is pretty much the only non-licensed, non-shovelware DS game by a western developer to really take off.

How about Contra 4?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I wouldn't really call Contra 4 an original game, not just because it's part of a long-standing franchise but because the majority of the game is just derivations of stuff from older entries in the series.

I don't think it sold that well, either, and it didn't even come out in Europe.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Wasn't that another DS game that used the super annoying "use both screens and the space inbetween is just a big visual gap" thing?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Bobnumerotres posted:

Wasn't that another DS game that used the super annoying "use both screens and the space inbetween is just a big visual gap" thing?

Yes, and it annoyed the hell out of me.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.
What are the odds of Wii U ever getting a Resident Evil title? I don't really give two shits about RE6, but I'd love to see the team behind the 3DS game make a side-game more like RE4 or Revelations using the GamePad. Seriously, if only to clear up the clunky inventory screen.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

Rake Arms posted:

What are the odds of Wii U ever getting a Resident Evil title? I don't really give two shits about RE6, but I'd love to see the team behind the 3DS game make a side-game more like RE4 or Revelations using the GamePad. Seriously, if only to clear up the clunky inventory screen.

Capcom seems to be well on board with the console with MH3 so if not a re-release of RE6 with GamePad support the future games are probably on their way.

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

That was a BAD business decision!

Rake Arms posted:

Given that RE4 was a GameCube game at first/RE4: Wii Edition exists, I imagine that we'll probably get some Resident Evil game on the console sooner or later.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Allan Assiduity posted:

Given that RE4 was a GameCube game at first/RE4: Wii Edition exists, I imagine that we'll probably get some Resident Evil game on the console sooner or later.

Umbrella Chronicals and it's sequel also came out on the Wii as well.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Welp, this thing is 35 days away from being on the shelves being in people's homes and we still don't know what the online system is like.

loving Nintendo.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Bobnumerotres posted:

Welp, this thing is 35 days away from being on the shelves being in people's homes and we still don't know what the online system is like.

loving Nintendo.

They'll let us know in a Nintendo Direct at 1AM PST in about 33 days.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Chronojam posted:

They'll let us know in a Nintendo Direct at 1AM PST in about 33 days.

This is not an unrealistic possibility, at all, and that really scares me.

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here
It'd be better than them not saying at all and letting people find out for themselves when they buy it. Which is what I assumed their plan was.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Atomicated posted:

It'd be better than them not saying at all and letting people find out for themselves when they buy it. Which is what I assumed their plan was.

I'm still anticipating that we're gonna learn more about the online from launch buyers (goons) than we will directly from Nintendo before the launch.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Atomicated posted:

But everyone's already pre-ordered it. It is already too late.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Bobnumerotres posted:

But everyone's already pre-ordered it. It is already too late.

Preorders can be cancelled, even if it would be at the last minute. You can't go back once you've already bought it.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

So I guess CheapAssGamer was right about the layaway orders taking place today. Never did layaway before, hopefully everything goes smoothly :ohdear:

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Bobnumerotres posted:

Wait, what exactly have they not told us that would seriously dissuade or sell someone on the system at this point?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Chaltab posted:

Wait, what exactly have they not told us that would seriously dissuade or sell someone on the system at this point?

If there's a unified account system, if there are automatic notifications for friends, if you can add strangers as friends or chat with strangers in multiplayer, if there is a unified multiplayer system. We're guessing the anseres to all of these are "yes"? But we don't really know.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
I have a feeling the answers to some of those questions are going to vary game by game. Chat with strangers in Blops2, likely. Chat with strangers in Mario Kart 8? Not so much.

I thought they already confirmed the unified account, with the 3DS too. The Nintendo Network thing.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Bombadilillo posted:

You can buy all the games digitally at least if that's what you want!

Did they fix how nintendo accounts / game licenses are connected so that you can easily transfer licenses to another console, like between the 3ds and 3ds xl (i guess they had a system in place for dsi -> 3ds right?), or do you still have to call nintendo support and ask/beg them to do it (like with the wii)

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Robolizard! posted:

Did they fix how nintendo accounts / game licenses are connected so that you can easily transfer licenses to another console, like between the 3ds and 3ds xl (i guess they had a system in place for dsi -> 3ds right?), or do you still have to call nintendo support and ask/beg them to do it (like with the wii)

You can wirelessly transfer your digital games between 3DS units in a similar manner to DSi/3DS transfer, yes.

There's a proper unified account system coming for both 3DS and Wii U, but there's no ETA on when it might show up. My guess is right before launch, with no warning, as per every other update they've ever given us.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

CURATOR OF ANIME posted:

So I guess CheapAssGamer was right about the layaway orders taking place today. Never did layaway before, hopefully everything goes smoothly :ohdear:

If you do the Walmart layaway make sure you get a manager. My wife and I went this morning and it took about 20 minutes for the person behind the counter to find someone who knew what was going on and could find the memo/UPC from somewhere in the back. This was after the employee grabbed a Wii from the Electronics area after looking at the flyer we brought up for the Wii U. Even with the advertising the Walmart preorder/layaway isn't being swamped like Gamestop was (we were the only ones there at 9AM) so I'd give it a shot if you don't already have a preorder ready.

specialmias
Sep 1, 2006
I need a good one
shamelessly stolen from my other forum post...

My experience in Laurel MD was fun.

They had someone at the layaway desk who was talking to a customer who was asking for a wii U bundle as well. I noticed her muttering that they wouldn't be able to do it because there's nothing for her to scan. So I joined in, said I'm waiting for it as well and she suddenly looked concerned because now her problem had multiplied.

I kindly showed her the circulator that showed on the FRONT page to place it on layaway today for Nov 18th pickup. She insisted it was only going to be there Nov 18th. Then she brought another employee who again said, "look it says Nov 18th you gotta come back then". Now the guy I was with was irritated and asked for her to get a manager.

That manager came with two employees from electronics and they both looked at it and said. "Yeah we don't sell stuff that isn't on the shelves, it comes out Nov 18th look at the circulator." They then asked me if I could just get a regular Wii and buy the games separately instead of the bundle.

Now the guy who was there before me was fairly pissed. So the manager claimed he could call corporate but they would just tell him the same thing that they wouldn't get it until then. They sent two people out back to go "check" on what was going on and call the corporate office.

Meanwhile a 5th employee helped me and the guy setup preorders following the instructions from this thread, no dice. She seemed concerned because it was on the front page and the store had no idea how to do it. She insisted the other employees do something about it because she was sure they would get more people asking about it later.

The manager comes back and says corporate had no idea what he was talking about and that Walmart Policy is that they don't do preorders because of a need to physically scan the item for the lay away system and recommended a regular Wii as a replacement. Furthermore coporate also said that sometimes manufacturers ask for ads to be placed in the circulator for items they never get a stock of because they're in limited supply. The guy I was sitting in line with at this point was pretty pissed so he called ANOTHER Walmart that's an hour away and they claimed they just got an e-mail about it at 12:01am. He gave the phone to the manager on duty and he looked scared shitless that the other store was doing preorders as early as midnight and his store had no idea how. He went back and disappeared into his office on the phone with the manager from the other store doing preorders

He came back with faxed copies of the e-mail that was sent to the other walmart and they processed the layaway that way. He told us to pick up the Wii U's at the managers office on launch day because once ordered the store would receive a certain amount labeled just for us in theory. The lady at the layaway counter started making notes and leaving instructions for people on other shifts after that. I sincerely hope this is the case on launch, my receipt says holiday layaway and the holiday fee was nulled to zero somehow.

A few tips:
Call several stores around you and ask if they're doing them. Layaway should be in charge of this.
If they've already done it you should have no problem.

When you arrive at the store point out politely that it's on the front page to layaway today. Find a manager.

Explain they should have gotten an e-mail memo with the bar code and UPC 004549688086 and instructions. If they're still confused try to find a copy of the Walmart memo online and bring a print out with you. Should look like this:
http://imgur.com/a/KoALf
If they look terribly perplexed and say they have no idea what you're talking
about, call ANOTHER store even if it's far as all hell away that you know is doing the layaway and have someone in the store you're in talk to them.

specialmias fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Oct 15, 2012

StepDadJeff
Feb 22, 2005

Justice Jesus
I successfully put two deluxe wii us on layaway at Walmart this morning. I showed up at 9:20am and was the 6th person. I would really advise anyone who missed out on getting a pre-order to jump on this. Don't call, you'll get transferred to electronics who won't know poo poo. Just go in the store and go straight to layaway. They require your driver's license and the minimum payment is $45~. Good luck!

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Yeah, why in the hell would you advise calling? Companies don't train their employees.

I've worked in retail for years and every deal/special/new big thing we have I found out from customers who are demanding it and are baffled that I don't know because ~I work here~.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
They let you do two? That's surprising to me.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

greatn posted:

If there's a unified account system, if there are automatic notifications for friends, if you can add strangers as friends or chat with strangers in multiplayer, if there is a unified multiplayer system. We're guessing the anseres to all of these are "yes"? But we don't really know.

You'll be able to access the Nintendo Network on multiple devices such as 3DS, PC and online mobile device, which implies a unified account. They've said you can purchase something on your phone and remotely tell your Wii U to download it.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/353649/wii-u-will-get-remote-purchasing-in-future/

quote:

"Our goal is that, in the future, you will also be able to purchase games found in the Miiverse from that smartphone or tablet device and, by the time you arrive home, that game will already have arrived on your Wii U system through SpotPass," he said during a recent and revealing investor Q&A.

The 3DS automatically notifies you of friends so it's probable that the Wii U will too.

Reggie said they're going to have a flexible online system that will give developers control, so a unified multiplayer system seems doubtful. (http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidewalt/2011/07/05/nintendo-reggie-fils-aime-wii-u/4/)

quote:

We’ve seen what our competitors have done, and we’ve acknowledged that we need to do more online, starting with the launch of our eShop on Nintendo 3DS, and we’re going to continue to build our online capability.For Wii U, we’re going to take that one step further, and what we’re doing is creating a much more flexible system that will allow the best approaches by independent publishers to come to bear. So instead of a situation where a publisher has their own network and wants that to be the predominant platform, and having arguments with platform holders, we’re going to welcome that. We’re going to welcome that from the best and the brightest of the third party publishers.

The MiiVerse trailer showed a guy soliciting help through video chat from a stranger he met on the MiiVerse forum, which suggests they're letting us talk to strangers this time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXfqtq_Yk0Y

I'm adding these points to the OP.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

AngryCaterpillar posted:

The MiiVerse trailer showed a guy soliciting help through video chat from a stranger he met on the MiiVerse forum, which suggests they're letting us talk to strangers this time.

This seems VERY un-Nintendo. Chatting with strangers is one thing but Video Chatting with strangers? That would never fly for Nintendo.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

AngryCaterpillar posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXfqtq_Yk0Y

I'm adding these points to the OP.

I thought the implication was that the video chat participants were all contacts rather than strangers.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
I don't know. It might depend on what parental controls you set.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Bobnumerotres posted:

Yeah, why in the hell would you advise calling? Companies don't train their employees.

This should be a commandment or something. You only ever call a store for their hours opened and even then, never take their word.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Played some Wii U at NY Comic Con. The Metroid minigame from Nintendo Land was pretty fun, but I was one of the players with a Wii remote, it seemed like it could be quite a bit of fun.

Also played Wonderful 101. I think the game looks pretty amazing, but may not be the best game for a Con atmosphere. Firstly the demo was a timed 10 minutes, so you are trying to rush as fast as you can, and you get to play the first boss, but are hardly able to get a grasp on what you are doing before time runs out on that too. It looks like it will be pretty cool, but I came away feeling blah about my play time (and I had to wait quite a while since the demo was so drat long).

The controller itself felt very good, though some of my writing gestures didn't feel like they were getting captured correctly.

I saw some Zombie U, it looked alright, and I didn't get a chance to see much of Mario Wii 2.

BowieFett
Oct 21, 2008

All I want from the Wii U is a new Mach Rider game. I'm really hoping that's the franchise that Retro is rumored to be reviving, but I know that isn't likely.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

BowieFett posted:

All I want from the Wii U is a new Mach Rider game. I'm really hoping that's the franchise that Retro is rumored to be reviving, but I know that isn't likely.

A game called "Mach Rider Unchained" was a rumor for the 3DS for awhile.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Wow. Mach Rider.

I would totally be down with Nintendo reviving all of their lesser known franchises. Give me an updated Urban Champion, Rad Racer and Hogan's Alley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I always thought the calls for a new Kid Icarus game were greatly embellished, but Mach Rider?

• Locked thread