Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Yes, I'm more concerned with how my sex life has changed, how I lose hours of sleep a week because of pain (and the medication makes me loving retarded), how I can't pursue the long list of outdoorsy sporting hobbies that I used to, help my friends move or do a lot of chores (gently caress garbage bags forever), things like that.

It's just hard and confusing for me to feel morally alright with it. I can't compare myself to someone who has been blown up and keep a straight face. Like, "boo hoo you can't surf anymore! At least you don't need a pump in your head to circulate your spinal fluid because one of your sinuses was torn out by a piece of shrapnel." It's upsetting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

tuyop posted:

Yes, I'm more concerned with how my sex life has changed, how I lose hours of sleep a week because of pain (and the medication makes me loving retarded), how I can't pursue the long list of outdoorsy sporting hobbies that I used to, help my friends move or do a lot of chores (gently caress garbage bags forever), things like that.

It's just hard and confusing for me to feel morally alright with it. I can't compare myself to someone who has been blown up and keep a straight face. Like, "boo hoo you can't surf anymore! At least you don't need a pump in your head to circulate your spinal fluid because one of your sinuses was torn out by a piece of shrapnel." It's upsetting.

And that's why you're not going to see the same kind of money they will, because you might be found to be 15 or 20% disabled, while they'll be 80 or 90% disabled. It doesn't mean you're not entitled to your share of funds, because you WERE injured while working for the Canadian Armed Forces. The system is designed to pay you because you do deserve that pay. It has affected your life, and you should be compensated for it.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

El_Elegante posted:

Tuyop you need to get counseling more frequently than you are now.

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005
I sure hope I don't get banned

tuyop posted:

Spend the next 12 days leading up to the appointment keeping a diary of all these things. I.e. when you experienced them, what you were doing, how bad/debilitating it was, how it affected your job performance/emotional state/quality of life, if you had depressive/anxious/angry thoughts associated with them, etc.

Just give the doctor the facts without downplaying or exaggerating anything, and whatever the army decides will be exactly what the Dominion of Canada believes you are entitled to.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I bet you could cut your $150 cell phone expenses in half, especially if you get a joint plan for basic phones (not smartphones).

Also, at first I thought "Oh, $75 for christmas, that's reasonable" but then I realized that's your monthly budget so the two of you are budgeting $900 a year for christmas.

My wife and I make about triple what you and Toeshoes make, and yet I have never in my life spent $450 on christmas presents, and I have four siblings, four parents, and a wife to shop for.

So I'm hoping that's just your xmas budget for the next three months and then it goes away in January. Right?

quaint bucket
Nov 29, 2007

tuyop posted:

It's just hard and confusing for me to feel morally alright with it. I can't compare myself to someone who has been blown up and keep a straight face.

I get you, I really do but don't let that hold you back. Your pain and suffering is no less legitimate as the guy who got hit by a dirty bomb.

If it makes you feel better, I know a friend who's in the military who's planning on cashing in $$$ down the road by claiming they had significant hearing loss as a result of their service to the military. In reality, this person has a hearing aid but makes no attempt to wear them at all and the hearing loss is definitely from multiple ear infections that they constantly and intentionally neglected to get treated for. They will get the money and it makes me angry.

At least you got your disability as a result from your work, not through your lack of personal concern in your everyday life. I can respect that.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

quote:

So I'm hoping that's just your xmas budget for the next three months and then it goes away in January. Right?

Yes, exactly. We did a terrible job of anticipating and tracking the Christmas expense six months ago so we have to pay more now.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

tuyop posted:

But other than that I don't know how we can improve the situation. I need to sell the loving car!

Your car is the stuff of horror movies. If you are going to sell the car what's the situation with the value versus the car loan at the moment? I know this was an issue a while back.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Devian666 posted:

Your car is the stuff of horror movies. If you are going to sell the car what's the situation with the value versus the car loan at the moment? I know this was an issue a while back.

2010 Mazda 3GS 6 speed. 115000 km, fair condition with cosmetic damage. Sun roof, power package, etc.

The car is worth 11-14k (13.5 on kbb) depending on who you ask.

I owe 20476 now.

It's a loving nightmare.

Toeshoes and I were thinking of somehow making do without until we sell it. Stop driving, cancel insurance, use the insurance and gas savings to get her a bike and equip them properly for night and cold weather cycling and go that way. It seems doable to me, but it also seems like spending our way out of a hole.

It's also apparently incredibly inclement in this area in the winter. Very strong, cold winds and heavy snowfall. I don't know if it's worth it. I'm convinced that cycling can be made safer with lights, but I haven't done a winter here before. I'm mostly of the mind that if we just make it only possible to do the cheapest possible thing, money will be saved and debts will be paid off. But how much is frostbite and dangerous cycling worth? (thanks to MMM I now know how to figure out the dollar amount cost over ten years. I figure it's about $103 800 if I saved that auto cost excluding car loan for ten years. I'm going to go throw up)

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

tuyop posted:

2010... 115000 km

HOW? :psypop:

My 1994 Nissan has 117,000 on it.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah that seems like a lot. Hell my dad, who literally drives his car like the entire day for work, has a 2008 car with 300k kilometers on it.

HookShot fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Oct 14, 2012

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Assuming he bought it on Jan 1st in its year of manufacture, that's 110km per day, seven days a week, 365 days a year.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

tuyop posted:

Toeshoes and I were thinking of somehow making do without until we sell it. Stop driving, cancel insurance, use the insurance and gas savings to get her a bike and equip them properly for night and cold weather cycling and go that way. It seems doable to me, but it also seems like spending our way out of a hole.

Oh hell no. Get one of your vehicles fully winterized - snow tires, chains, bag of sand, flares, roadside assistance on your insurance, etc. - and use that one as your winter commuter. If you can do this for both cars that's great but make sure you have at least one in good condition.

I think a lot of us got confused on the mileage you posted because of your filthy metric ways. Still, 71K miles in 2 years? drat dude, that car isn't worth poo poo with how many miles and "light damage" you've put on it. I hope it's fun to drive, you're going to be in it for a long time to come.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
/\/\/\ We only have one car. Sorry for any confusion.

I bought it in May 2010, I drove to Mexico and NYC and Chicago and Ontario and stuff a bunch of times. Add excessive driving to the list of bad decisions I guess.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
He is actually correct on its value, you Americans also don't realize that your cars are a lot cheaper.

I did a check on Autotrader.ca, his car in Ontario with that many kms does sell for around 10k-15k

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

HookShot posted:

I did a check on Autotrader.ca, his car in Ontario with that many kms does sell for around 10k-15k

Yeah, but what is that in *real* money. :smug:

Kidding, just kidding. Thanks for the price check, I wasn't sure if the app was giving him a price based on having that many kilometers on the engine.

Tuyop - you need to PLAN this next purchase. What winter equipment do you have for this car?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I have some steel wheels for winter tires. I need to buy winter tires, no interest Canex plan is the only option. (it just divides the cost of your items by a term and takes it off your pay)

Other than that, my wipers will wear out soon and I should be considering a coolant flush and other fluid work soonish. I'm not too concerned about those things.

If we bike, we need to get toeshoes a bike (~300 for a used commuter), tires for both of us (60), lights (~200), and pieces of winter gear that we might need (100-???). I've considered the clothing thing. I can probably make do with most of the stuff I have. I just need ski goggles and maybe a heavier toque. Toeshoes needs gloves and a heavier technical cold weather coat. The savings would be disgusting if we survive the winter, though.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

tuyop posted:

If we bike, we need to get toeshoes a bike (~300 for a used commuter), tires for both of us (60), lights (~200), and pieces of winter gear that we might need (100-???). I've considered the clothing thing. I can probably make do with most of the stuff I have. I just need ski goggles and maybe a heavier toque. Toeshoes needs gloves and a heavier technical cold weather coat. The savings would be disgusting if we survive the winter, though.

I'm a pretty hardcore biker, and I think this is a terrible idea. The savings will be just as good if you drive this Winter then bike next Spring/Summer/Fall.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

Grumpwagon posted:

I'm a pretty hardcore biker, and I think this is a terrible idea. The savings will be just as good if you drive this Winter then bike next Spring/Summer/Fall.

He's right. tuyop this is a terrible idea, don't risk wrecking your health further by biking in severe winter weather conditions.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

tuyop posted:

Other than that, my wipers will wear out soon and I should be considering a coolant flush and other fluid work soonish. I'm not too concerned about those things.

Not too concerned as in, you're going to put it off? Or not too concerned as in, it won't cost much? Because if it's the former, I just. You're about to be in a snowy arctic hellzone from the way you describe it. Your car needs to be in fantastic shape. If it's the latter, if you don't know how to do the wipers/some of the fluids, I bet AI would be happy to tell you and you might even be able to save a little more in doing the easier stuff by yourself. Assuming you don't have any leaks going on anyway. And I'm agreeing with pretty much everybody about biking. Wait for spring.

Have you had a computer diagnostic run on the car to make sure nothing's screwing up internally? Down here in the states you can breeze past an O'Reilly's or an Autozone and they'll plug you in and see if your car tosses out any codes (and look them up for you if it does) all for free. It might be worth looking around and seeing if anyone does that up there. If something is going wrong (and I'm not saying it is, but you never know) well, preventative work is often less than "oh god my car died" work. Your car has about 20k more miles on it than my husband's car (and 9k less than mine) and I check them every so often just to make sure there's nothing up that hasn't popped a light on.

Team_q
Jul 30, 2007

Selling a car you're already underwater on seems to be a bad idea, particularly if you plan on spending a bunch of money on winter gear. You won't get more money then you owe for the loan, so you'll keep having to pay that back. You have a long bike commute, in the sometimes harsh Ontario winter, I wouldn't do it, particularly because biking, as you have said, is painful. Don't worry about sunk bike costs, you will make it up in the spring.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Also, you can't drop insurance on the car since it is owned by the financier.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Nocheez posted:

Also, you can't drop insurance on the car since it is owned by the financier.

Even if I just take the wheels off and put it in the forest somewhere?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
It could catch fire or get stolen, and then you'd be out the value of the loan.

I'd be surprised if you could cancel the insurance on a car you owe money on, but I wouldn't know for sure.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

tuyop posted:

Even if I just take the wheels off and put it in the forest somewhere?

I'm almost 100% positive. Check your loan agreement, it probably says that you have to fully insure the car for the duration of the loan.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
/\/\ oh, we'll there goes that pipe dream.

FrozenVent posted:

It could catch fire or get stolen, and then you'd be out the value of the loan.

If that car crosses me one more time I think I might set it on fire.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

Storage insurance may be an option. It's way cheaper than full insurance, covers if someone steals or damages your car, but won't allow you to actually put it on the road. If you're looking at parking up your car for the winter (you shouldn't), then check into storage insurance.

By the way, given your luck, you probably shouldn't post things on the Internet suggesting that you'd damage your own car intentionally.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

tuyop posted:

It's also apparently incredibly inclement in this area in the winter. Very strong, cold winds and heavy snowfall. I don't know if it's worth it. I'm convinced that cycling can be made safer with lights, but I haven't done a winter here before. I'm mostly of the mind that if we just make it only possible to do the cheapest possible thing, money will be saved and debts will be paid off. But how much is frostbite and dangerous cycling worth?

You've already stated why taking your only vehicle off the road and using a bicycle only is a dumb idea: now listen to yourself.

Plus, the significant cost of your car is the loan/depreciation. That is not going to change, whether you drive it or not. You might as well spend the relatively small amount extra to use it.

EDIT: What you are doing is subconsciously deliberately depriving yourself of comfort as a means of punishing yourself for not feeling like you are being careful with money.

spog fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Oct 14, 2012

quaint bucket
Nov 29, 2007

Probably wouldn't want to do that either.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

tuyop posted:

If that car crosses me one more time I think I might set it on fire.

I know you're joking about this but note that arson leaves tell tale patterns in the burnt out wreck which will be easily identified by the fire investigator. The usual pattern for arson and insurance works like below.

Set insured item on fire -> arson identified -> no insurance payout

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Devian666 posted:

I know you're joking about this but note that arson leaves tell tale patterns in the burnt out wreck which will be easily identified by the fire investigator. The usual pattern for arson and insurance works like below.

Set insured item on fire -> arson identified -> no insurance payout

So what is a... Natural way (that insurance would pay for) for a car to be completely destroyed aside from driving it 60 000 km a year for a few years?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I hope you're trolling with that post, I really, really do.

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?

tuyop posted:

So what is a... Natural way (that insurance would pay for) for a car to be completely destroyed aside from driving it 60 000 km a year for a few years?

Well, you could drive it into a lake.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

tuyop posted:

With your historical luck, just keep driving it. Though, again, with your luck I wouldn't threaten any piece of machinery. :ohdear: It might take the initiative.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Rent's free in jail, yo.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

With your historical luck, just keep driving it. Though, again, with your luck I wouldn't threaten any piece of machinery. :ohdear: It might take the initiative.

I believe the response of keep driving it is unfortunately the correct answer.

Financially the correct answer is drive it less. On balance if you can get your transport expenses down this will do a lot more to help your situation. Given the number of km you are clocking up you should be spending more weekends at home.

Nether Postlude
Aug 17, 2009

His mind will keep
reverting to the last
biscuit on the plate.

spog posted:

EDIT: What you are doing is subconsciously deliberately depriving yourself of comfort as a means of punishing yourself for not feeling like you are being careful with money.

And now he's planning to make his girlfriend suffer just as unreasonably too.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

quaint bucket posted:

And $10 for a reflective vest from RONA. Doesn't look cool but works in a quick fix.

I feel like this wasn't given enough consideration. It's not like you're on the market for a new girlfriend anyway. Keep it with you always, including when you drive for when you break down.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Winter is coming, and biking just isn't an option in the winter.

How do you even bike in six inches of fresh snow anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Where I am from they start plowing the roads at like, 4AM and keep crews going if it keeps snowing.

• Locked thread