Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Baby Huey Newton posted:

and some analysis of the current situation:

http://www.voltairenet.org/article172526.html
http://www.voltairenet.org/article170005.html

Anyone who thinks Assange and wikileaks aren't important, the most important documents on the situation were leaked. Do you think the Iraq invasion and WMD propaganda would have happened if Wikileaks existed?
Here's Thierry Meyssan during happier times, with his friend Manaf Tlass, and members of the French far right Dieudonné M'bala M'bala and Frédéric Chatillon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Deteriorata posted:

Norway is a founding member of NATO, which makes them thoroughly first world. These are terms left over from the Cold War. First World was the countries allied or aligned with the Western powers, Second World was the countries allied or aligned with the Soviet Union, and Third World was everybody else - who generally got trampled underfoot in proxy wars sponsored by the First and Second worlds.

I was thinking Sweden/Finland. My bad.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Brown Moses posted:

Here's what I was talking about early, Dam Spleeters and CJ Chivers have found videos of SA-7s actually being used in Syria, a big development in the oppositions air war.

A couple notes on the article:

The missile needs to be fired at fighters from behind due to how the seeking system works. While theoretically you can target and fire at planes from every direction, anything else reduces hitting chances. Their range is also limited with a relatively low ceiling. On the other hand loyalists might decide discretion is the better part of valor and start flying higher, essentially making spotting impossible and bombing extremely inaccurate. The main purpose of MANPADS is to keep enemy aircraft from getting too bold, anyway.

Unless rebels manage to catch helicopters napping, taking off or landing, scoring a hit is unlikely at best. Mujahideen did their best to ambush Soviet helos near airfields, as low target airspeeds give the missile best chances to hit. You might want to keep an eye out for activity near airfields.

Baby Huey Newton
Oct 2, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Brown Moses posted:

Here's Thierry Meyssan during happier times, with his friend Manaf Tlass, and members of the French far right Dieudonné M'bala M'bala and Frédéric Chatillon

Is this supposed to be a joke? Thierry Mayssan was one of the central members of the National Committee of Surveillance which was a leader in anti-fascist coordination in France in the 90s when the FN was at its peak. What a remarkable slander...

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Baby Huey Newton posted:

Is this supposed to be a joke? Thierry Mayssan was one of the central members of the National Committee of Surveillance which was a leader in anti-fascist coordination in France in the 90s when the FN was at its peak. What a remarkable slander...

And an excellent job he's doing surveiling those fascists too. Brown Moses make a note of it and surveil me some wine!

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Baby Huey Newton posted:

Not a joke, Thierry Meyssan pals around with the far right, they took a nice trip to Syria together in 2008 funded by the Tlass family. Chatillon would go on to found the pro-Assad InfoSyrie website and we all know what Thierry got up to with the Voltaire Network.

[edit] Not forgetting the same group visiting Lebanon with the same group in 2006

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women

Baby Huey Newton posted:

I would direct you in order to see the wikileaks documents showing the planning of the Libya and Syrian invasions:

This doesn't say anything about the Libyan revolutionaries being imperialist plants. It say the US is trying to take advantage of their having exerted their free will. No one here will deny the US does poo poo like this. But the Libyans rebelled because Gaddafi was a horrible dictator that sucked the life out of their country and they wanted their freedom back. Imperialism had nothing to do with their rebellion. At worst the US tries to install a new dictator in Libya that would be on their side again. But how did that work out, considering Libya democratically elected a national representative (and their new Prime Minister is left-focused and not right-focused)? It's not that imperial powers don't try to install leaders that will benefit them, it's that in contemporary times these attempts are almost universally failures.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's amazing how all these guys are all fourth international and poo poo.

I'm sure Trotsky would be happy with all his followers denouncing popular uprisings as imperialist scum and how crushing popular revolts is the only way to fight imperialism.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Mans posted:

It's amazing how all these guys are all fourth international and poo poo.

I'm sure Trotsky would be happy with all his followers denouncing popular uprisings as imperialist scum and how crushing popular revolts is the only way to fight imperialism.

They're not real popular revolts, you see.

The far left loves No True Scotsman even more than the far right loves the Slippery Slope.

Baby Huey Newton
Oct 2, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Friendly Factory posted:

This doesn't say anything about the Libyan revolutionaries being imperialist plants. It say the US is trying to take advantage of their having exerted their free will. No one here will deny the US does poo poo like this. But the Libyans rebelled because Gaddafi was a horrible dictator that sucked the life out of their country and they wanted their freedom back. Imperialism had nothing to do with their rebellion. At worst the US tries to install a new dictator in Libya that would be on their side again. But how did that work out, considering Libya democratically elected a national representative (and their new Prime Minister is left-focused and not right-focused)? It's not that imperial powers don't try to install leaders that will benefit them, it's that in contemporary times these attempts are almost universally failures.

I apologize, I linked the same article twice. I was resonding to a lot of posts at the same time I meant to link this:

http://vridar.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/report_of_arab_league_observer_mission.pdf

and some relevant sections:

quote:

25. On being assigned to their zones and starting work, the observers witnessed acts of violence
perpetrated by Government forces and an exchange of gunfire with armed elements in Homs and Hama. As a
result of the Mission’s insistence on a complete end to violence and the withdrawal of Army vehicles and
equipment, this problem has receded. The most recent reports of the Mission point to a considerable calming of
the situation and restraint on the part of those forces.

26. In Homs and Dera‘a, the Mission observed armed groups committing acts of violence against
Government forces, resulting in death and injury among their ranks. In certain situations, Government forces
responded to attacks against their personnel with force. The observers noted that some of the armed groups
were using flares and armour-piercing projectiles.

27. In Homs, Idlib and Hama, the Observer Mission witnessed acts of violence being committed against
Government forces and civilians that resulted in several deaths and injuries. Examples of those acts include the
bombing of a civilian bus, killing eight persons and injuring others, including women and children, and the
bombing of a train carrying diesel oil. In another incident in Homs, a police bus was blown up, killing two
police officers. A fuel pipeline and some small bridges were also bombed.

28. The Mission noted that many parties falsely reported that explosions or violence had occurred in
several locations. When the observers went to those locations, they found that those reports were unfounded.

29. The Mission also noted that, according to its teams in the field, the media exaggerated the nature of the
incidents and the number of persons killed in incidents and protests in certain towns.

quote:

In Homs, a French journalist who worked for the France 2 channel was killed and a Belgian journalist
was injured. The Government and opposition accused each other of being responsible for the incident, and both
sides issued statements of condemnation. The Government formed an investigative committee in order to
determine the cause of the incident. It should be noted that Mission reports from Homs indicate that the French
journalist was killed by opposition mortar shells.

quote:

In some cities, the Mission sensed the extreme tension, oppression and injustice from which the Syrian
people are suffering. However, the citizens believe the crisis should be resolved peacefully through Arab
mediation alone, without international intervention. Doing so would allow them to live in peace and complete
the reform process and bring about the change they desire.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Baby Huey Newton posted:

I would direct you in order to see the wikileaks documents showing the planning of the Libya and Syrian invasions:

http://www.wsws.org/articles/2011/jul2011/wiki-j27.shtml
Planning, war-gaming, and re-planning conflicts that will never happen is what a significant portion of the US military spends all of its time doing. Somewhere there's a plan to invade Canada filed next to a plan to defend Vermont from cross-border raids by violent Quebecois separatists.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Killer robot posted:

The far left loves No True Scotsman even more than the far right loves the Slippery Slope.

If they were REAL popular revolts everybody would take part, including the bourgeoisie for whom the status quo benefits! HEH!

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Planning, war-gaming, and re-planning conflicts that will never happen is what a significant portion of the US military spends all of its time doing. Somewhere there's a plan to invade Canada filed next to a plan to defend Vermont from cross-border raids by violent Quebecois separatists.
War Plan Red

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Global superpower has plans of invasion of every country in the world, news at 11.

Do you think the Soviet Union didn't have them either? Or even China?

By the way, what's your opinion on the protests in Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, Iran and Israel, respectively?

Baby Huey Newton
Oct 2, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Killer robot posted:

http://landdestroyer.blogspot.com/2012/08/libyan-terrorists-are-invading-syria.html
http://www.voltairenet.org/article172163.html

Please educate yourself, this exact scenario happened in the leadup to the Iraq and Afghanistan wars and the only result of that ignorance is millions of deaths, a whole region razed, and further imperialist ambitions in the rest of the Middle East. It's our responsibility to stop the war at home through education and not misinformation from imperialist shills and those with ambitions of getting a larger share of the spoils.

Baby Huey Newton
Oct 2, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Brown Moses posted:

Not a joke, Thierry Meyssan pals around with the far right, they took a nice trip to Syria together in 2008 funded by the Tlass family. Chatillon would go on to found the pro-Assad InfoSyrie website and we all know what Thierry got up to with the Voltaire Network.

[edit] Not forgetting the same group visiting Lebanon with the same group in 2006

It's a slander and it's irrelevant anyway. I don't care what some reporters interests are or even what your interests are, the sources and facts stand by themselves. As I already stated at the very beginning, the imperialist ambitions of Russia are clear, this does not make them worthless but simply biased. If your interests are the weakening of NATO imperialism, than RT is quite useful. If your interests are the installation of U.S. puppet regimes and the exploitation of the middle east and destruction of the quality of life in Syria (and the interests of capital)than BBC, HRW, the NYT, and Al Jazeera are perfectly fine.

People keep strawmanning the opposition as Assad supporters, because it is far easier than confronting the fact that they are supporters of NATO imperialism.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
For all your talk about sources and facts, you haven't actually presented any evidence to support your assertion that the Syrian rebels are imperialist plants instead of an actual popular rebellion. All you have is ~*implications*~ that getting rid of Assad helps the western Imperialists. Never mind the fact that his regime was relatively chummy with the west in general, what with the free trade agreements with the EU and what not.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Baby Huey Newton posted:

http://landdestroyer.blogspot.com/2012/08/libyan-terrorists-are-invading-syria.html
http://www.voltairenet.org/article172163.html

Please educate yourself, this exact scenario happened in the leadup to the Iraq and Afghanistan wars and the only result of that ignorance is millions of deaths, a whole region razed, and further imperialist ambitions in the rest of the Middle East. It's our responsibility to stop the war at home through education and not misinformation from imperialist shills and those with ambitions of getting a larger share of the spoils.

You do realize that this is complete different from what happened in Iraq and Afghanistan, right? gently caress, Syria sent a poo poo ton of foreign fighters to Iraq to oppose the US invasion. Many of the foreign fighters were simply given a rifle, thrown onto the back of a pick-up truck, drove straight up to the front lines, and dumped there to fight against the US forces. It's clear to me you know absolutely nothing about the circumstances currently taking place in the Middle East.

And what the gently caress are you talking about "stopping the war at home"? Nobody in this thread is advocating intervention on the part of American or European forces.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

farraday posted:

I would estimate though that the recent spat of aircraft downings is more a result of better use of AA guns then missiles. Lacking other evidence I haven't seen any telltale signs indicating MANPAD launches in the videos. Give the general proclivity to fliming "awesome" weaponry among activists and rebels I would expect the firing of a fairly rare weapon to be documented.

I agree with this, too. Guns are just as dangerous as MANPADS when you are flying helicopters and CAS light strike planes low and slow. The Syrian air force isn't flying multiple strike missions at high speeds from altitude to drop flaming propane tanks on people, they are flying low and slow looking for targets of opportunity with a high loiter time. With any type of trained gun crew, that's very dangerous to do.

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Oct 15, 2012

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Baby Huey Newton posted:

People keep strawmanning the opposition as Assad supporters, because it is far easier than confronting the fact that they are supporters of NATO imperialism.

I've tried to understand your viewpoint but all I'm getting is noise and no signal. Can you explain in small words why it's NATO imperialism to note that the weapons used in Syria are ex-Soviet?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Cream_Filling posted:

Never mind the fact that his regime was relatively chummy with the west in general, what with the free trade agreements with the EU and what not.

Not to mention the Assad regime's warm relationship with Turkey.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Maybe this guy is the anti-Caro. Maybe he's going to get tired of arguing with us and go to join the Assad regime in killing the CIA imperialist pig dogs.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Crasscrab posted:

Maybe this guy is the anti-Caro. Maybe he's going to get tired of arguing with us and go to join the Assad regime in killing the CIA imperialist pig dogs.

Spy vs. Spy: Goon edition

Baby Huey Newton
Oct 2, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Cream_Filling posted:

For all your talk about sources and facts, you haven't actually presented any evidence to support your assertion that the Syrian rebels are imperialist plants instead of an actual popular rebellion. All you have is ~*implications*~ that getting rid of Assad helps the western Imperialists. Never mind the fact that his regime was relatively chummy with the west in general, what with the free trade agreements with the EU and what not.

As the Arab League report clearly states, there was an initial popular protest movement (the reasons for this are complex and have to do with the changing economic makeup of Libya and Syria from nationalist-bourgeoisie and proletariat to labor aristocracy and comprador-bourgeoisie) which was initially met with resistance by the government but then withered away. It increasingly became replaced with the Free Syrian Army and various militias/contras backed by Qatar and Saudi Arabia funneled through Libya, Afghanistan, Egypt, Turkey, and U.S. imperialist bases. As government violence decreased, militia violence increased, and the western imperialist powers ramped up propaganda and calls for intervention. As of this moment, there is no popular movement left except those remnants that want an end to all violence and are not allied to either side.

This failed because of Russia and China, and despite recent efforts to force Turkish intervention, the majority of the population supports Assad and the overwhelming majority opposes foreign intervention. We are facing a situation of civil war between the government (and the majority of the population who wants the violence to end) and foreign fighters. Perhaps at one time there was a chance for a popular movement, but because of the class character of the initial movement, the geographical importance of Syria for Zionism, and the imperialist machinations in the region, there are now only two sides to choose from and this thread is clearly on the side of foreign invasion and subsequent looting and death in Syria.

Hope this helps explain a little more the reality of where I'm coming from.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Baby Huey Newton posted:

As the Arab League report clearly states, there was an initial popular protest movement (the reasons for this are complex and have to do with the changing economic makeup of Libya and Syria from nationalist-bourgeoisie and proletariat to labor aristocracy and comprador-bourgeoisie) which was initially met with resistance by the government but then withered away. It increasingly became replaced with the Free Syrian Army and various militias/contras backed by Qatar and Saudi Arabia funneled through Libya, Afghanistan, Egypt, Turkey, and U.S. imperialist bases. As government violence decreased, militia violence increased, and the western imperialist powers ramped up propaganda and calls for intervention. As of this moment, there is no popular movement left except those remnants that want an end to all violence and are not allied to either side.

This failed because of Russia and China, and despite recent efforts to force Turkish intervention, the majority of the population supports Assad and the overwhelming majority opposes foreign intervention. We are facing a situation of civil war between the government (and the majority of the population who wants the violence to end) and foreign fighters. Perhaps at one time there was a chance for a popular movement, but because of the class character of the initial movement, the geographical importance of Syria for Zionism, and the imperialist machinations in the region, there are now only two sides to choose from and this thread is clearly on the side of foreign invasion and subsequent looting and death in Syria.

Hope this helps explain a little more the reality of where I'm coming from.

Sorry if I come off as pedantic, but it seems like you're throwing around a lot of terms without knowing what they mean.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

change my name posted:

Sorry if I come off as pedantic, but it seems like you're throwing around a lot of terms without knowing what they mean.

The true mark of a moron.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Jos mulle annettaisiin ase, ruumiita tulisi ihan lähijunassakin, you see.
It saddens me how even today these things polarize into "you're for Endlösung or you're for Holodomor". There just is no middle ground allowed, somehow.

(Like, what of those who support both NATO imperialism AND Russian and Chinese imperialism? Where do they fall?)

Baby Huey Newton
Oct 2, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

change my name posted:

It just comes across as annoying. Enjoy your probation.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Nenonen posted:

(Like, what of those who support both NATO imperialism AND Russian and Chinese imperialism? Where do they fall?)
NATO vs Russia vs China in a three-way struggle to imperialize Antarctica, the last non-aligned piece of land on Earth!

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Funny, that doesn't look like evidence.

Also, is English not your first language?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Here's the latest cluster bomb videos from the last 24 hours, 10 in total, plus photos. Those terrorists are sure working their arses off faking all these videos
http://brown-moses.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/new-cluster-bomb-videos-october-15th.html

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Baby Huey Newton posted:

It just comes across as annoying. Enjoy your probation.

Oh wow, poo poo just got real.

Baby Huey Newton posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

:ironicat:

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Brown Moses just outed himself as the CIA imperialist that he is by suppressing the voice of reason. Trap sprung. :smug:

Darkman Fanpage fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Oct 15, 2012

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

Crasscrab posted:

Brown Moses just outed himself as the CIA imperialist that he is by suppressing the voice of reason. Trap spring. :smug:

The most damning evidence of a conspiracy in the middle east since the Mossad-trained attack sharks.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Baby Huey Newton posted:

a bunch of stuff

I'm not exactly sure what you think that this thread's opinions re: the Arab Spring are, but you seem to imply that we're war-mongers a whole lot so here's a list of points that are generally agreed upon:

- Protests throughout the middle east stem variously from social, political and sectarian discontent, being this last one the most likely to become armed and violent in nature.

- Opposition groups in Syria range from non-violent protesters (who at this point have either taken arms, fled, or died) to military defectors to armed fundamentalists.

- A more than significant part of the funds for armed groups in Syria does, in fact, come from foreign nations, chiefly gulf coast countries. These countries are favoring Salafi militias, since that's basically "their thing". there are also foreign fighters.

- The ideology and sectarian affiliation of syrian rebel groups varies wildly. However, Sunni identification and a strong anti-Allawi sentiment is considered to be the norm. In case of a rebel victory, ethnic cleansing is a likely scenario. The Syrian National Council is ineffective at best in its role as political leadership of the opposition, and degeneration into intra-factional fighting is very likely to develop in the future, if it hasn't already started.

- Syrian rebels have commited a number of atrocities, which are also reported on this thread (and on chief CIA shill Brown Moses' blog). These include torture of prisoners, extra-judicial killings, deceiving Assad captives into taking part in suicide attacks, etc.

- Foreign intervention would be disastrous on a scale that can't be properly conveyed in words. Nobody who is active on this thread is currently calling for intervention.

- Russia Today and Iranian news agencies are sneered at not as some knee-jerk CNN-imposed brainwash that rejects all anti-imperialist news outlets, but because they have proven to be unreliable and sometimes downright farcical in their reporting of mid-east news. Among these are lending credit to conspiracy theories, reports of Tripoli being an impregnable loyalist stronghold days before (and days after, as well) it fell to the rebels, claims on the level of "footage of Homs being shelled was created in a movie studio in Qatar", etc.

- It's neither denied or ignored that the fall of Assad would be beneficial to a number of nations (chiefly US and Israel as it would weaken Iran's position), but the general destabilization of the region that the conflict is already causing (particularly in Lebanon and Kurdistan) may as well outweight any positive effects that THE WEST may be expecting to receive from a rebel victory. Furthermore, the very possible scenario of Salafis gaining power in Syria would be a loss to all nations but the Gulf Countries.

Now here are some questions for you that hope you might answer:

1. The imperialist plan: What is it, exactly? Who is THE WEST trying to replace Assad with, considering the atomization and lack of cohesive leadership of the FSA? Specifically, who are the nations involved in this scheme?

2. Agency of Syrians:
a) Why is the possibility of ordinary Syrian citizens taking arms against Assad's regime out of their own will, in your opinion, unacceptable? Why is the current state of Syria only and exclusively explaniable through imperialist interference?
b) What degree of either institutionalized oppression or brutality would be necessary, in your opinion, for such a possibility to become credible?

edit: man I'm always late <:mad:>

SexyBlindfold fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Oct 15, 2012

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

Baby Huey Newton posted:

This is how the large majority of the world views people who consume American and British news. Even other Europeans laugh at us, Der Speagel has been far better than anything we have on this issue.

I prefer Der Spargel myself for my daily dose of imperialist war propaganda, although I suspect they might be affiliated with The Onion.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Der Speigel is a legit paper, too. I'd rank them up there with the Guardian. We only wish Der Spargel existed.

At least some of the claims that guy was making weren't utterly laughable, but the way he stuck them together with this weird glue of certainty and unlogic was utterly strange, as were all the final bizzaro realpolitik conclusions he drew from the facts.

He wouldn't have been so roundly mocked if he wasn't an abrasive rear end who couldn't use an apostrophe to save his life, and who had no idea how to formulate an argument to support his dumb opinions which were based entirely on RAWR IMPERIALSTS biases.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Oct 16, 2012

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

Cream_Filling posted:

Der Speigel is a legit paper.

:ssh: It was just a terrible joke on his inability to even properly spell the name of the paper he claims to be so reputable.
Also yours :I

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Burning Mustache posted:

:ssh: It was just a terrible joke on his inability to even properly spell the name of the paper he claims to be so reputable.
Also yours :I

I know, but I figured I'd clarify. And yes, it's Der Spiegel, whoops.

Agro ver Haus doom
Jul 27, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

change my name posted:

Like which terms? Perhaps you can provide some details and explanations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Hob_Gadling posted:

A couple notes on the article:

The missile needs to be fired at fighters from behind due to how the seeking system works. While theoretically you can target and fire at planes from every direction, anything else reduces hitting chances. Their range is also limited with a relatively low ceiling. On the other hand loyalists might decide discretion is the better part of valor and start flying higher, essentially making spotting impossible and bombing extremely inaccurate. The main purpose of MANPADS is to keep enemy aircraft from getting too bold, anyway.

Unless rebels manage to catch helicopters napping, taking off or landing, scoring a hit is unlikely at best. Mujahideen did their best to ambush Soviet helos near airfields, as low target airspeeds give the missile best chances to hit. You might want to keep an eye out for activity near airfields.

Not necessarily an issue. The Syrians have stockpiles of everything from old SA-7s to mid 90s era SA-18s, which are about as capable as a mid-generation Stinger (which addressed of a few of those issues). There's no telling which ones will show up in a situation as fluid as Syria.

So far none of the videos showing aircraft being downed have involved hits from MANPADs, I'm curious to see the videos of them being used.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Oct 16, 2012

• Locked thread