Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Pweller posted:

Those details don't mean you're automatically excluded, it very likely depends heavily on which countries.

USSR/Russia :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Sab669 posted:

Just curious, what determines if one is able to get security clearancces? Obviously it varies from level to level, but generally speaking.

I've never been in trouble with the law (sans speeding tickets :v:) and am a US Citizen, born and raised.

Ensign Expendable posted:

I'm a dual citizen with two foreign passports, plus the country I was born in no longer exists.

I had a pretty promising interview, with a defence contractor, too :(

In the first phase of information gathering they will ask you questions about if you have ever been a citizen of another country and if you have ever held dual passports. This is where you shouldn't lie and everybody will be hunky dory with the fact that you're a comrade by birthright.

From what I know of people from Canada with dual citizenship that received clearance, the only thing they had to do was renounce their dual citizenship and formally surrender their foreign passport. I imagine that you would have to do the same.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Yeah that might do it haha.

For what it's worth, I'm a naturalized citizen and had no issues (no dual citizenship or foreign passports though).

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

OFFICIAL SA THREAD RUINER
SPRING 2013
Currently doing a non-development internship for $10/hr at a place 60-80 minutes from my home at 20 hrs/wk. I estimate that I spend an extra $40/wk due to the extra driving. I do QA work here, though it's with a scrum team that seems to have its act together. In January I'll have a different class schedule and only be able to work here 16 hours per week.

My friend just told me that he's looking for a replacement for the position he has, since they only give him 5-20 hrs/wk, though it's usually much closer to 5. They pay $25/hr (though I'm like 99% sure it's contract work) and it's actually development work rather than QA. It's a work-from-home job, so no implication of teamwork or social skills for my resume.

Normally, I would just take it and work both jobs, but I naively signed a work-for-hire/assignment contract with my current employer.

Anyway, is there any tactful way I can ask my boss about the possibility of getting permission, from whomever is has that authority, to pursue work on the side here?

If not, then would it look bad on my resume to quit an internship after three months to go for another part-time job? Would it look better on my resume just because I could sell it as "real" work (meaning not an internship) and because it would be actual development work? I'm thinking, next semester I'll suddenly be getting $160/wk here and be spending ~$30/wk, so next semester I'll be getting $130/wk before taxes for 16 hours of work, plus I share a vehicle with someone else, so even if I only work 8 hours in a day, my entire day is consumed because I wake up around 6am to get ready and get home around 8-9pm.

If I can get this other job, then next semester I'd be getting $125/wk before taxes, without the crazy driving, and I could direct the extra time toward working on my own projects so that I can get a decent job at some point. Most importantly, it would be another bullet on my resume, which only says that I did some research assistant work for a professor for six months and this internship for three months.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Chasiubao posted:

You probably missed the boat for the next round of internships. Whoever they're interviewing right now is probably scheduled to start in January or something. But if they're anything like where I work, they hire interns to start in batches, and you missed this one, but they're inviting you to interview for the next one.

Totally normal.

Do you think it's kosher to inquire if they have any openings left for January?

Lurchington
Jan 2, 2003

Forums Dragoon

Sab669 posted:

Just curious, what determines if one is able to get security clearancces? Obviously it varies from level to level, but generally speaking.

I've never been in trouble with the law (sans speeding tickets :v:) and am a US Citizen, born and raised.

These days it's more likely to be denied clearance due to really bad credit (the old "I'm in debt and vulnerable to doing stupid poo poo to get out of debt" thing) than anything else, so it may be worth getting your yearly free credit report and cleaning up anything that you think is wrong or implies that you're in worse debt than you are (e.g. consolidated your student loans but your old unconsolidated loans still show as "open")

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Safe and Secure! posted:

Currently doing a non-development internship for $10/hr at a place 60-80 minutes from my home at 20 hrs/wk. I estimate that I spend an extra $40/wk due to the extra driving. I do QA work here, though it's with a scrum team that seems to have its act together. In January I'll have a different class schedule and only be able to work here 16 hours per week.

My friend just told me that he's looking for a replacement for the position he has, since they only give him 5-20 hrs/wk, though it's usually much closer to 5. They pay $25/hr (though I'm like 99% sure it's contract work) and it's actually development work rather than QA. It's a work-from-home job, so no implication of teamwork or social skills for my resume.

Normally, I would just take it and work both jobs, but I naively signed a work-for-hire/assignment contract with my current employer.

Anyway, is there any tactful way I can ask my boss about the possibility of getting permission, from whomever is has that authority, to pursue work on the side here?

If not, then would it look bad on my resume to quit an internship after three months to go for another part-time job? Would it look better on my resume just because I could sell it as "real" work (meaning not an internship) and because it would be actual development work? I'm thinking, next semester I'll suddenly be getting $160/wk here and be spending ~$30/wk, so next semester I'll be getting $130/wk before taxes for 16 hours of work, plus I share a vehicle with someone else, so even if I only work 8 hours in a day, my entire day is consumed because I wake up around 6am to get ready and get home around 8-9pm.

If I can get this other job, then next semester I'd be getting $125/wk before taxes, without the crazy driving, and I could direct the extra time toward working on my own projects so that I can get a decent job at some point. Most importantly, it would be another bullet on my resume, which only says that I did some research assistant work for a professor for six months and this internship for three months.

$10 / hr is stupid low. That's like poverty wages for a programmer. I would honestly just drop the other job and pursue more lucrative opportunities, including building your own software. Don't worry about the length of the internship, just make sure you can get a letter of recommendation from one of your supervisors.

Cryolite
Oct 2, 2006
sodium aluminum fluoride

I'm a dual citizen with two foreign passports, plus the country I was born in no longer exists.

I had a pretty promising interview, with a defence contractor, too :(

If you started the clearance process and were denied specifically for that reason you can ameliorate it by renouncing your foreign citizenship and giving up your passport. I know someone who did this with their Swiss citizenship, though it's probably a different story for Russia...

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Giving up a Russian citizenship is a colossal pain in the rear end, so sadly that's not an option.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Giving up a Russian citizenship is a colossal pain in the rear end, so sadly that's not an option.

While it might be an issue if you ever go back to Russia, I imagine the process of saying "Hey USA all the way, yankee doodle John Elway" and surrendering your Russian passport should be good enough for the US.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Perhaps. I'll look into it the next time a defense contractor is interested in me, meanwhile I have a pretty decent job already.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
All this talk of security clearance reminds me of how my grandfather (a career Army officer) had issues when he needed to get his. They don't like it when you don't know what your own first name is...

Also, resume questions! (Would this be better served in the general resume thread in BFC? :shrug:)

At the top of my coding resume, I list my competencies, namely the programming languages and libraries I know. Since I don't have a degree and have no work experience should I refrain from using the "kitchen sink" method and just list the ones I'd be comfortable with writing code in right now? Currently, I have C++, C#, Java (all caps is no longer in vogue, yes?), and MIPS, which is a partial kitchen sink as I'm missing C (though that could be assumed by C++) and R (which I learned a little while trying to tutor/teach someone it).

If I've done most of my programming in C++ using Visual C++ (seriously bought a retail copy with lunch money in HS), is that enough to slap on .NET as a known library? For reference, I only have OpenGL listed in my libraries section, but that's a stretch as we used glut for the one class I took on graphics.

Also, when skimming through job postings I've always assumed that "Associate" and "Junior" are typically entry-level positions, are there any other keywords I should be on the lookout for?

Zhentar posted:

Project Euler is pretty good for practicing.

Wanted to thank you for this but it took a while for me to start doing them. I've been using it to learn C#, for the most part, and they've been quite fun. The problems are making me think a little and I'm finding myself writing some fun little code. Hell, I'm even commenting it for all of the nobody that will ever see it.

w00tz0r
Aug 10, 2006

I'm just so god damn happy.

BirdOfPlay posted:

If I've done most of my programming in C++ using Visual C++ (seriously bought a retail copy with lunch money in HS), is that enough to slap on .NET as a known library?

Unless you were coding in C++/CLI (I sincerely doubt this if you're doing hobby coding), then .NET has nothing to do with C++.

I wouldn't put a language on my resume unless I was comfortable answering questions about it in an interview. If I couldn't sit down without checking reference material for syntax, I'd still put it on my resume if I knew enough to know what to look for, if that makes any sense.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

BirdOfPlay posted:

If I've done most of my programming in C++ using Visual C++ (seriously bought a retail copy with lunch money in HS), is that enough to slap on .NET as a known library? For reference, I only have OpenGL listed in my libraries section, but that's a stretch as we used glut for the one class I took on graphics.

Have you used .NET?

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

shrughes posted:

Have you used .NET?

w00tz0r posted:

Unless you were coding in C++/CLI (I sincerely doubt this if you're doing hobby coding), then .NET has nothing to do with C++.

Ehh... :v:

Yeah, I see what y'all are saying. I probably got confused cause the .NET thread seems to deal a lot with C# and I used VC++.NET 2003 for C++.

quote:

I wouldn't put a language on my resume unless I was comfortable answering questions about it in an interview. If I couldn't sit down without checking reference material for syntax, I'd still put it on my resume if I knew enough to know what to look for, if that makes any sense.

Completely does.

I'm just going to nix the Libraries cause I doubt it'll make me look any better (especially if I whiff on an OpenGL question). Thanks, guys.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

BirdOfPlay posted:

All this talk of security clearance reminds me of how my grandfather (a career Army officer) had issues when he needed to get his. They don't like it when you don't know what your own first name is...

How did that happen?

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

qntm posted:

How did that happen?

Well, he always thought his given name, Billie, was just a nickname for William, but it wasn't until he enlisted for the Army band (I think) that he found out his legal first name was Billie. Of course, it wasn't much of a hubbub at the time; he didn't plan on going career.

Fast forward to him being general staff and posted at the Pentagon, and he gets screened pretty hard because of that little gaffe. He ended up getting it (not sure what level), but his file ended up being filled with "AKA William" all over the place.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
So I got an unsolicited email from a guy claiming to be a Google recruiter. My first reaction was that it was fake/phishing, but he has a valid linkedin profile and none of the links in his email point to anywhere unexpected.

I thought that it was fake because he said he got my information from github, and thought I might be a good fit based on that info. While I do have a github account and my name and such is available, I'm not an active contributor to any projects of note. The only commits I have are just small personal scripts and a tiny python apps that I work on with a friend.

Has this happened to anyone else?

edited for grammar

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

astr0man posted:

So I got an unsolicited email from a guy claiming to be a Google recruiter. My first reaction was that it was fake/phishing, but he has a valid linkedin profile and none of the links in his email point to anywhere unexpected.

I thought that it was fake because he said he got my information from github, and thought I might be a good fit based on that info. While I do have a github account and my name and such is available, I'm not an active contributor to any projects of note. The only commits I have are just small personal scripts and a tiny python apps that I work on with a friend.

I can confirm Google is currently recruiting by sending unsolicited emails from recruiters. They are typically not technical people, so they probably aren't actually evaluating your work as much as seeing "candidate has project in language X".

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Gah, had an interview for a company I really want to work for last Monday. They never called back / responded to my emails a few days later so I thought I didn't get it (after the interview I felt I did very poorly).

Just got a call back now, and the rep was even nice enough to share the guy's feedback on me: Lack the real world-skills (duh, I'm a fresh grad :v:) but should be able to catch on very quickly they think :unsmith:
Now I'm just sitting at my desk at work all excited to maybe work somewhere that will pay me appropriately, eagerly awaiting the next phone call.

seiken
Feb 7, 2005

hah ha ha

astr0man posted:

edited for grammar

Hey, I work at Google, and I know for a fact recruiters definitely do find people by looking on github so this is probably real enough.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

seiken posted:

Hey, I work at Google, and I know for a fact recruiters definitely do find people by looking on github so this is probably real enough.

They also appear to scrape LinkedIn and decide that guys who write firmware for a living would be a "good fit" for a "Site Reliability Engineer" position aka sysadmin :mad:

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

seiken posted:

I was recruited for Facebook the other week from Github.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Otto Skorzeny posted:

They also appear to scrape LinkedIn and decide that guys who write firmware for a living would be a "good fit" for a "Site Reliability Engineer" position aka sysadmin :mad:

Their purpose is to make sure you're not a raving lunatic and to get your resume to see if they can get you a phone screen. It is interesting that even Google doesn't want to spend the resources to have a more technical point of first contact.

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 11 minutes!

seiken posted:

Yeah, I got coldcalled/recruited for an SRE position through Linkedin, owning to my "knowledge of C and Python" ( :confused: ) and the thing was legit, so this is indeed something that happens.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

It's not Google, but that's actually how I got one of my most recent job interviews. Accenture is a huge company and they got in touch with me because of my profile on Dice / LinkedIn (not sure exactly which one they found me on, I got a phone call)

seiken
Feb 7, 2005

hah ha ha

Otto Skorzeny posted:

I'm not sure if you're unhappy because you think SRE doesn't involve any coding or because you think sysadmin is beneath you or what, but just so you know SRE at google is pretty much the Best of the Best, there's lots of real software engineering involved (if you want to do that) and at google scale it's kind of incredibly sick. I don't know if it's really comparable to regular sysadmin stuff at all. If you just really love embedded systems though then fair enough.

vvv yeah, hyperbole, mostly I just mean in general it's not any lesser of a position than dev for instance in terms of doing cool stuff. (I've a little experience with both roles)

seiken fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Oct 18, 2012

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
eh

Ninja Rope fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Oct 18, 2012

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

astr0man posted:

edited for grammar
The same happened to me, except the guy didn't at all where he found me.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

seiken posted:

I'm not sure if you're unhappy because you think SRE doesn't involve any coding or because you think sysadmin is beneath you or what,

Don't be so quick to get your knickers in a twist. I think Otto Skorzeny is just pointing out that there really aren't many skill overlaps between writing firmware and managing some of the largest data centers in the world.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
More or less yeah. I have no idea why the recruiter thought I would be qualified or interested. Maybe because my degree has the phrase "systems engineering" at the tail end? Meh, doesn't matter.

Aside: while I love embedded stuff and enjoy my job, firmware is by no means a high horse and in fact about as unsexy as you can get most of the time.

You spend easily ten times as much time restraining yourself from doing something clever or interesting in favor of something much more pedestrian that you can be very confident will be reliable; seldom can you revel in your CLOSE TO THE METAL adrenaline rush.

You use C and asm partly for performance, yes, but since you have to turn off a crapton of optimizations if you want things to work (not necessarily your own code that gets broken by them as libraries stop working and/or become impossible to debug, timing loops that someone wrote 20 years and 2 versions of the product ago get obliterated and you don't want to rewrite and more importantly re-test them, etc) and you probably downclocked the cpu a crapton to increase battery life, so nothing will ever go as fast as you know it could. Close control over hardware and the layout of data in memory is much more important.

Chip vendors are flaky as can be and tools are generally low-volume products full of bugs. There's an adage somewhere that 90% of bugs are in your code, 9% are in libraries and 1% are in the [operating] system. That holds pretty well for desktop, server and probably mobile development, but oh my goodness are some embedded products full of bugs. It's super unfun to write your own freaking floating point to string routine because your chip vendor's version of sprintf uses ten times too much stact and their version of the obsolete gcvt() family of functions give demonstrably wrong output. Oh and their entire analog spec is a lie, every word of it, including 'and' and 'the'. Eventually apps engineers from the worst offenders will stop picking up the phone when they see your company's area code on the caller ID.

And of course, you will always waste a bunch of time trying to bludgeon a solid set of objective requirements from marketing for whatever product you're working on.

seiken
Feb 7, 2005

hah ha ha

oRenj9 posted:

Don't be so quick to get your knickers in a twist. I think Otto Skorzeny is just pointing out that there really aren't many skill overlaps between writing firmware and managing some of the largest data centers in the world.

Apologies, I didn't mean to be confrontational or anything, just saying it's interesting stuff and you don't necessarily need managing huge datacenter skill experience. I came into SRE with only regular programming experience and I think it's neat!

But yeah, I feel daft now cause it's obvious you just like embedded stuff :) sorry.

seiken fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Oct 18, 2012

Orikaeshigitae
Apr 28, 2006

never kiss a gun street girl again
Heya thread. I'm completing an MA in English in Vancouver. I did 2 years of CS in undergrad before getting fed up with instruction practices and jumping ship to the humanities, where I learned quite a bit and fixed some pervasive health issues. Did HTML/CSS/some PHP as a freelance graphic designer, before getting fed up with non-paying clients and doing this MA.

Need to pay the rent, predictably, and I'm looking ahead at a graduation date and wondering if I can put a portfolio together and shake the rust off with some projects. How feasible is it to train up to work-ready knowledge and experience, period, never mind in the short timeframe I have?

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
If you spent more time trying and less time asking if it was possible, yep, I'm pretty sure you can improve, even in a short time.

As for work-ready, that depends on the jobs you're after.

Orikaeshigitae
Apr 28, 2006

This is already the case, so cool.

seiken
Feb 7, 2005

hah ha ha

Orikaeshigitae posted:

Need to pay the rent, predictably, and I'm looking ahead at a graduation date and wondering if I can put a portfolio together and shake the rust off with some projects. How feasible is it to train up to work-ready knowledge and experience, period, never mind in the short timeframe I have?

Also, difficult to say without knowing how good you are/were at it. Will be way different if you were a coding genius wizard or if you were struggling in the CS classes or what.

vvv IF doesn't sound completely trivial, presumably you have to do some decent parsing of natural language for that to be any good?

seiken fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Oct 21, 2012

Orikaeshigitae
Apr 28, 2006

I was decent at it. I was struggling with the calc and linear algebra at the time, but that had more to do with working midnights and going to school during the week than with my ability. I've kept up coding with interactive fiction and light web stuff, but nothing that anyone here would take seriously. I'm an autodidact and I have no aversion to work, though.

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

OFFICIAL SA THREAD RUINER
SPRING 2013

A MIRACLE posted:

Don't worry about the length of the internship, just make sure you can get a letter of recommendation from one of your supervisors.

Do letters of recommendation actually mean anything to employers? I've never heard of them being used anywhere outside of school. What would I even do with one?

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Safe and Secure! posted:

Do letters of recommendation actually mean anything to employers? I've never heard of them being used anywhere outside of school. What would I even do with one?
They can be used as references, but I've never actually had an employer ask for my references...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orikaeshigitae
Apr 28, 2006

seiken posted:

Also, difficult to say without knowing how good you are/were at it. Will be way different if you were a coding genius wizard or if you were struggling in the CS classes or what.

vvv IF doesn't sound completely trivial, presumably you have to do some decent parsing of natural language for that to be any good?

Much of it is taken care of by the parser in inform 6, which I was learning before Inform 7 came out. Inform 7 has a natural-language interpreter, so really you're doing a lot of defining classes and managing inheritance and polymorphism, only with sentences instead of expressions.