Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

AngryCaterpillar posted:

What's the main reason people are getting the Deluxe or Premium model? Nintendo Land or download discounts?

I highly doubt I would ever have paid $60 for Nintendo Land alone, but for ten bucks cheaper plus more hard drive space, why the hell not? Color isn't an issue.

Detective No. 27 fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Oct 16, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

go speed racer go
Dec 11, 2006

~wat it do, dough~

AngryCaterpillar posted:

What's the main reason people are getting the Deluxe or Premium model? Nintendo Land or download discounts?

I actively dislike all white pieces of electronics, especially when it comes to stuff I'll be touching a lot. Not really a big fan of black either, but it won't get dirty nearly as easily.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The specs are in the OP. Essentially, it's a bigger hard drive (32GB instead of 8), A charging stand for the game pad, Nintendo Land tossed in, and you get a membership discount of 10% off of ALL eShop purchases.

I know, I wrote it :v:

I wanted to know the MAIN reason people wanted the black one. Looks like it varies.

Edit: vvv :laugh: vvv

AngryCaterpillar fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Oct 16, 2012

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
edit: whoops, missed the previous post. You saw NOTHING Angry Caterpillar. Move along.

But yeah, the main difference is the bigger hard drive and the bundled accessories probably.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Oct 16, 2012

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm tired of either black or white for everything. The 3DS models come in many colors, and that's great, but I wish someone would bring back 70s style wood paneling again.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Well, there is this:

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Chronojam posted:

Well, there is this:

They need to have the proper dark atari woodgrain if they're gonna use faux wood panels. You either do that or you go with the textured black and gray plastic of the NES. That teak wood color just doesn't go with a videogame system.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Not buying this console until they release a matte version of it.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

AngryCaterpillar posted:

The storage and discounts are a good reason (Especially if a lot of games will get digital eShop releases), but I'm actually getting it for Nintendo Land. That and I prefer black systems.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I'm getting the deluxe solely because it's black. If nintendo land is multiplayer only mini-games I don't think i'll have anyone to play it with so i'll probably try to throw it on SA mart for 30 bucks or whatever. The discount on digital purchases is nice as well.

The lack of a black 3DS XL is the only reason I don't own one. I think it's silly to have a color preference dictate my decisions this much but I can't help it nor can I explain it. Black just looks nicer to me.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

katkillad2 posted:

I'm getting the deluxe solely because it's black. If nintendo land is multiplayer only mini-games I don't think i'll have anyone to play it with so i'll probably try to throw it on SA mart for 30 bucks or whatever. The discount on digital purchases is nice as well.

The lack of a black 3DS XL is the only reason I don't own one. I think it's silly to have a color preference dictate my decisions this much but I can't help it nor can I explain it. Black just looks nicer to me.

Nothing wrong with having a preference. I'm holding off on getting a 3DSXL (I own a 3DS, but I like the bigger screen, battery, etc) until a decent special edition comes out. I always miss out on the fancy editions of consoles, so for once I'm going to wait and get one.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

So did y'all see this? Retailers claim Wii U Pro Controller has 80 hour battery life.

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Nintendo Land, the discounts, and the whole package being black. I love black consoles.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

That would both explain and make up for the weak rumble.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Probably helps that it doesn't need to be plugged into the WiiMote

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Astro7x posted:

Probably helps that it doesn't need to be plugged into the WiiMote

The ones that did just drew power directly from the Wiimote, they didn't have their own batteries.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Well I mean like the classic controller on the Wii, needing to plug it into a more powerful motion controller to just sit there and do nothing.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Nintendo appears to be finalizing dlc details with Activision and Blops today.

In other news Michael Ancel detailed gamepad lag, it is exactly 1/60 of a second, or one frame, which is astounding and probably better than the lag from your console to the tv. There is a hilarious ubergizmo blog about it "warning" hardcore gamers of another reason to "eschew" the Wiiu and talking about "media spin" that would be perfect for gamers.txt

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

greatn posted:

There is a hilarious ubergizmo blog about it "warning" hardcore gamers of another reason to "eschew" the Wiiu and talking about "media spin" that would be perfect for gamers.txt

Read it. Not just hardcore gamers. "Professional" gamers. And that one sixtieth of a second "could be a significant disadvantage to somebody playing on the GamePad".

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Yeesh, this was deserving of a custom title?

edit: Not that I'm going to bitch for a mod to change me back. If somebody wants to spend $10, they get to spend $10.

Revol fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Oct 16, 2012

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Wow if getting a custom title were that easy you'd think I'd have one by now with all the stupid poo poo I've said that I've had to go back on.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I should have one that says I suck Nintendo dick or that I'm a misogynist and think Men and Women's approaches to dating vary slightly in modern society.

quote:

In other news Michael Ancel detailed gamepad lag, it is exactly 1/60 of a second, or one frame, which is astounding and probably better than the lag from your console to the tv. There is a hilarious ubergizmo blog about it "warning" hardcore gamers of another reason to "eschew" the Wiiu and talking about "media spin" that would be perfect for gamers.txt

Well it uses bluetooth just like the Wiimote, I expected it to be pretty responsive.

I wonder if the consoles will use Nintendium again and be virtually indestructible.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I've said it in a previous thread, but man I can't wait for gamepad blutooth drivers to be made for PCs. Pairing the gamepad to the PC is going to be all sorts of awesome.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I'm surprised they got Bluetooth lag that low. I know from experience that audio lag is pretty bad. Watching TV through Bluetooth wireless is impossible, unless you are able to set a video delay.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010

Revol posted:

Yeesh, this was deserving of a custom title?

edit: Not that I'm going to bitch for a mod to change me back. If somebody wants to spend $10, they get to spend $10.

Odd, I would have thought your post would be more misunderstood by an angry person as a: "LOOK NINTENDO IS GOING TO FAIL EVEN IF IT SOLD OUT BECAUSE THEY MADE TOO FEW ON PURPOOOOOOSE" than a "pls dont hurt ntndo" thing.

--

Someone asked about why people would want the black model... for me it would be the discount and Nintendo Land. I had a pretty good time playing Wii Sports with friends at a few parties and with the family so I figure I could get some fun out of that. Plus the extra memory space would be nice (though I plan to get a big hard drive for it anyway, so this isn't a big plus). I'll probably buy a ton of digital stuff though so the discount on that will be nice.

At the same time I'm low on cash right now, and want to save up more before getting another console. I'll probably buy it when Monster Hunter comes out.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Nintendo land at a discount + the 10% back and charging station is all a good deal to me.

Nintendo land is going to be a fantastic party game at the very least.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Oh my God.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Holy poo poo that's awesome.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Is that a first party controller? I can't tell by the description. If it is, i think i'm getting one.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Please tell me there's a matching WiiU for that...

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It's a third party controller. Also $30 (US) cheaper than the regular pro controller (in Australia)

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

So are Gamestop's controllers good? Because I don't think I've legitimately wanted a third party controller like this before.

Artix fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Oct 16, 2012

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
That controller looks hideous, but at the same time I really want it for some reason.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

TechnoSyndrome posted:

That controller looks hideous, but at the same time I really want it for some reason.

You take that back.

EDIT: I've had good luck with third party controllers but they were all remakes of PS2/360 controllers, which people have had tons of time to perfect.

A third party make of a brand new controller? I'd try before I buy, definitely.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Oct 16, 2012

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

I have never touched a third party controller that wasn't poo poo compared to the original. They're for poor people and friends you hate.

*e: also it does look hideous.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

Bobnumerotres posted:

You take that back.

The Japanese/European SNES controller looks dope, but not when it's superimposed into the middle of a bigger controller with analog sticks and a power button awkwardly cutting into the design.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:
If the brand name Hori appears on it, I'm canceling my WiiU ProCon right the gently caress now.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

TechnoSyndrome posted:

The Japanese/European SNES controller looks dope, but not when it's superimposed into the middle of a bigger controller with analog sticks and a power button awkwardly cutting into the design.

This, plus it's just a photoshop and will end up looking like rear end regardless. If you wanna feel retro, buy retro (or at least the proper SNES Controller for Wii)

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
If nothing else I see exactly why Nintendo chose that particular controller configuration.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

computer parts posted:

If nothing else I see exactly why Nintendo chose that particular controller configuration.

Yeah, it was pointe out before that the d-pad is directly across from the buttons making it perfect for retro gaming. This is the same config as the gamepad as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

TechnoSyndrome posted:

Can't say I'm a fan of how that looks either. I thought that was a size comparison between the SNES and Wii U Pro controllers until I'd clicked the link.

• Locked thread