Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3
systran, if you go and watch calandale's review of Europa Universalis (I can't believe he finished that one), you'll find that he has, actually, turned into a civil war general.

As for Twilight Imperium, time does vary. Expect no less than 4 hours and bank on 10 hours. Along with AP, player count changes game time drastically as well (an 8-player game could very well take a couple of days to get done).

Also I seriously recommend playing with at least the first expansion. There's a certain mechanic in the base game (Imperial Strategy Card) that is all but broken. There's an online fix for the card at the very least.

In other words don't go into TI3 without expecting a heavy investment of both time and money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Chicken
Apr 23, 2009

systran posted:

I like how Calandale is just gradually changing his appearance. You can't tell the difference between video to video but one day he's going to look like a civil war general and it will suddenly hit you.

At that point I'm sure his every posts will be denouncing all games as real wargames (in perfect haiku form).

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Subparr posted:

Just paid 100 dollars for Warhammer Quest. Best purchase ever. This has been my grail for a while now!

Nice! That's a good price for probably the best dungeon crawl game ever made (possibly tied with original Dungeon Quest in my affections).

I'd recommend getting some like minded people together and doing the campaign mode to really get the most out of what it offers.

Bit of advice: the Healing Hands spell is broken, but you can somewhat fix it by making it cost 3 instead of 2, or just not picking it, to be safe. If you leave the spell as is, the warriors will literally never die, which removes a lot of the challenge, obviously.

AZCollins
Feb 4, 2004

Meanderthal
I've spent hours and hours playing a friend's copy. The best part is someone in my group literally dropkicking his character sheet in rage. This is The Best Game Ever Made.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff
There's also a fan rewrite of the rules that is really solid; creates very unique dungeons :)

I read through quite a bit of it and it's good poo poo.

https://drive.google.com/?pli=1#folders/0B_dW6NCrPT61NjdkUXFaSWZUWDg

https://drive.google.com/?pli=1#folders/0B_dW6NCrPT61andDblJOWGdtaUE

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea
So Spiel 2012 is coming up, are there any particular games that you guys have had your eyes on?

Here are the main ones that are intriguing to me personally:

Kemet, because Matagot's production values are through the goddamn roof (see Cyclades, Giants)
Galaxy Trucker: Another Big Expansion, Dungeon Lords: Festival Season and Mage Knight: The Lost Legion because Vlaada

Anything else people are interested in?

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Kinda interested in the Troyes expansion. I dig that games aesthetic.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker
So far only 1969 has made my radar list, but that's through pure space-nerd-ness. I dunno if Phil Eklund will have High Frontier: Colonization ready for spiel, but one can hope.

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

PlaneGuy posted:

So far only 1969 has made my radar list, but that's through pure space-nerd-ness. I dunno if Phil Eklund will have High Frontier: Colonization ready for spiel, but one can hope.

Nope, the design focus has changed apparently and the nebulous date has changed to 2013 (http://bgg.cc/thread/815405/content).

Also, look for a future The Game Room thread about High Frontier pbp :3:

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

dishwasherlove posted:

Kinda interested in the Troyes expansion. I dig that games aesthetic.

Tournay didn't really go over well for us. Doesn't seem to have gone over well in general, either.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

bobvonunheil posted:

because Matagot's production values are through the goddamn roof
Which doesn't mean anything; Matagot is notorious for their boxes which fall apart when a molecule lands on the wrong part of them. Also, if you're planning to pimp up your game and paint the miniatures, they have horrible flash and are hard ti clean (soft plastic doesn't take filing well). Still, Cyclades is all kinds of awesome.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Kiranamos posted:

Tournay didn't really go over well for us. Doesn't seem to have gone over well in general, either.

Like I said I love the graphic design of Troyes but yeah looking at reviews I was really disappointed that Tournay sucks. Would still like to play it one day but I guess I'll stick with the new purple dice for Troyes.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

OK I caved in and bought The Resistance because people kept hyping it up. I love the whole hidden traitor thing so a quick game which offers that and scales to support large numbers of people at parties and whatever sounds great.

Anything I should keep in mind for the first playthroughs? The rules themselves seem really straightforward but there's usually something.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3
Because of whatever crazy reason, I've become really keen on acquiring/looking around for some really complicated games that aren't war games and aren't 18XX games. Funnily enough, most of the really complicated games I've seen are, well, war games and 18XX games.

Does anyone have recommendations for really weighty games that aren't war games or 18XX?

Currently games that I own that fall in this category include:
Through the Ages
Twilight Imperium 3E
Virgin Queen (okay it's a war game I guess but not really)
Mage Knight Board Game

And some games I'm looking at are:
Vinhos
Splotter games
Die Macher
Magic Realm
Republic of Rome
High Frontier

Does anyone have thoughts on the games I'm looking at or have any other recommendations?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Republic of Rome is pretty good: I've only got to try it out once or twice but it does really deliver on the politics and back-stabbing that occurred during that era, although the rule book for the game is completely awful.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Re: Resistance first plays - nothing comes to mind. I've only introduced it to a handful of groups but it was always quickly understood. Just make sure nobody comments on their identity card art I guess! We had that happen once but all it cost us was a quick reshuffle, so NBD.

Thread, I am preparing to shrink my board game collection for the first time. I want to sell some games but do not know what anything is worth. First up on the chopping block is Arkham Horror + Dunwich Horror + Black Goat of the Woods + Lurker at the Threshold. Used often, but in great condition from due care.

Then Zombies!!!. Also used but in good shape.

Then Hellenes: Campaigns of the Peloponnesian War. This one was opened and stickers were applied but it has never actually been played! It was obtained in a kind of fluke situation and doesn't really interest my group. So like new.

Last comes Road Kill Rally. Played just one time! Also like new.

I thank you for your input on sale prices or trade values for these things.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Trynant posted:

Splotter games

I have antiquity and Indonesia, both of those games are amazing. I highly recommend and Splotter.

Rupublic of Rome is almost a good game. It's fun while it lasts, then as you get into it, it just suddenly ends.

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
So, Spiel 2012 is this week, and I'm fortunate enough to live a mere 2 1/2 hours drive away! As every year, I'm going to attend, but this year I actually did a little research instead of just stumbling around without a clue. So far these games sound promising:

- Archipelago
- Suburbia
- New Galaxy Trucker Expansion!
- Fremde Federn
- Spartacus (maybe)

Anyone else going? What are your picks of the litter, or which games would you be most interested in trying?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I really like Republic of Rome as well, but only if the entire game is played (takes about 8-10 hours) and I can't find a group that wants to play the whole game.

For Essen I have pre-ordered The Great Zimbabwe
Terra Mystica
Express 01

I'm also waiting for Urbanization and Locomotive Werks to hit US shores. I'll probably buy them at BGG Con if they aren't available before then.

Admin Understudy
Apr 17, 2002

Captain Pope-tastic

Trynant posted:

High Frontier

I'll touch on this one. First you need the expansion to really play the game, the base game is perfectly adequate for learning but won't have much life in it for repeated plays. Second, have you played any Eklund games before...they're simulation games and have a unique feel to them, for better or worse. There's a lot of hefty planning and maneuvering before you put your ship in motion and then depending on where you decide to go it may come down to a die roll at the end to see if your landing was successful. I think the game is really interesting and there's absolutely nothing else even close to it that I've ever come across. However as someone who thinks the more complicated the better, I really can't approach High Frontier as anything more than a novelty.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Lorini posted:

I'm also waiting for Urbanization and Locomotive Werks to hit US shores. I'll probably buy them at BGG Con if they aren't available before then.

Is that a different game than Locomotive Works by Queen games? Can never be sure anymore. I got in on the kickstarter for the one by Queen. Latest update was that it was printed on Oct. 12th and is on a boat to US & Canada.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Not a lot at Essen that I'm interested in, though there is that new Power Grid expansion map for Northern Europe/United Kingdom & Ireland.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Trastion posted:

Is that a different game than Locomotive Works by Queen games? Can never be sure anymore. I got in on the kickstarter for the one by Queen. Latest update was that it was printed on Oct. 12th and is on a boat to US & Canada.

The actual title is Locomotive Werks. For whatever reason, BGG has it titled Locomotive Works. If you look at the cover, it clearly says "Locomotive Werks" and that was the title of the original Winsome game. Thanks for the update, I'll hope it'll be available for BGG Con.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Lorini posted:

The actual title is Locomotive Werks. For whatever reason, BGG has it titled Locomotive Works. If you look at the cover, it clearly says "Locomotive Werks" and that was the title of the original Winsome game. Thanks for the update, I'll hope it'll be available for BGG Con.

Thats not what the Kickstarter says and what is on the art they show.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1016374822/locomotive-works

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Trastion posted:

Thats not what the Kickstarter says and what is on the art they show.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1016374822/locomotive-works

Then they changed it. At any rate it's the same game.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

SuperKlaus posted:

Thread, I am preparing to shrink my board game collection for the first time. I want to sell some games but do not know what anything is worth. First up on the chopping block is Arkham Horror + Dunwich Horror + Black Goat of the Woods + Lurker at the Threshold. Used often, but in great condition from due care.

I - I've sort of been thinking about - picking up Arkham Horror. :ohdear: My girlfriend hates it and I don't even particularly like it but there's just this weird mad need, some kind of itch I could scratch if I just kept it in my cupboard alongside Twilight Imperium and the other big box FFGs I own but never play, tekeli-li, tekeli-li, ia, ia

I have no idea what kind of prices these would go for aside from standard market, though.

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

Trynant posted:

Because of whatever crazy reason, I've become really keen on acquiring/looking around for some really complicated games that aren't war games and aren't 18XX games. Funnily enough, most of the really complicated games I've seen are, well, war games and 18XX games.

Does anyone have recommendations for really weighty games that aren't war games or 18XX?

Through the Ages
Twilight Imperium 3E
Mage Knight Board Game

Vinhos
Splotter games
Die Macher
Magic Realm
Republic of Rome
High Frontier

Does anyone have thoughts on the games I'm looking at or have any other recommendations?

Die Macher owns, and its playing time is vastly overstated. Our first game took about three hours including instructions, though I don't expect this to be typical.

Try Magic Realm in its weird Java implementation first. It may offer more than Mage Knight for some, but I'm happy with Mage Knight.

High Frontier is my legit favorite game. However, do not under any circumstances play the basic game other than to make sure you know the rules. You need the "expansion" (which is really the loving game) to play the advanced game, which I'm sure has some insane spergin' logic behind not having all this poo poo in one box. Other than that, it is a beautiful game of negotiation, risk management and strategy in a unique presentation.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Trynant posted:

Splotter games

I thought Roads & Boats was pretty good the few times I played it. The rule set isn't super complex but the engine building aspect of it is heavy enough.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Trynant posted:

Through the Ages
Twilight Imperium 3E
Mage Knight Board Game

Vinhos
Splotter games
Die Macher
Magic Realm
Republic of Rome
High Frontier

By weightier do you mean really long games? Toss Dominant Species up in there.

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

al-azad posted:

By weightier do you mean really long games? Toss Dominant Species up in there.

I think he means games that aren't just almost purely tactical spreadsheet manipulation~

Dominant Species is not especially long.

King Chicken
Apr 23, 2009

Sherrard posted:

Try Magic Realm in its weird Java implementation first. It may offer more than Mage Knight for some, but I'm happy with Mage Knight.

I second the Java version, and would add that there's no real reason to play the physical board game. It works much faster and easier on a computer with no need to spend half an hour + setting the game up. Great game, but one that desperately needs a facelift and a new rulebook.

What Mage Knight did to the system is pretty much what Combat Commander did to ASL.

Admin Understudy
Apr 17, 2002

Captain Pope-tastic
I got to play Aeroplanes: Aviation Ascendant and Tournay for the first time tonight.

I liked them both more than I expected to, and am looking forward to playing them again sometime soon. Even with all the dice, Aeroplanes felt like a blend of Brass and Automobiles to me, and I love both of those games. The turn order mechanism, just rolling a die each round to see who goes first, felt pretty wonky but one of our players pointed out the game would probably fall into each player being able to more or less math out their round. The jostling of player order kind of actually meshes nicely with the random distribution of passenger tiles. While long term planning can't be very exact, turns went by fast enough to keep everyone engaged and able to adjust their strategy easily. Well.. there was a bit of AP in the last era as players struggled to get those last few points, but even then it was nothing awful.

So I really think that game is having a lot of flak undeservingly pushed on it as an easy target for bad use of dice in games. It seems to work well enough to me.

Tournay was fun as well, I no longer regret purchasing it. I will say the iconography is brutal and the game play is a little too random. You really need to be familiar with all the cards to develop any sort of strategy, the kind of thing that would take 5 or so games under your belt to get used to. The player interaction is phenomenal though. It's the trade off of money and worker advantage between players found in Troyes in a concise card game. You can get neat little engines going that evolve from, say, something that gets you more workers to then more money to then quicker card selection for end of game VPs. I wish it was something more accessible as even gamers would struggle to get into this one without a good amount of patience.

AZCollins
Feb 4, 2004

Meanderthal

Zombie #246 posted:

There's also a fan rewrite of the rules that is really solid; creates very unique dungeons :)

I read through quite a bit of it and it's good poo poo.

https://drive.google.com/?pli=1#folders/0B_dW6NCrPT61NjdkUXFaSWZUWDg

https://drive.google.com/?pli=1#folders/0B_dW6NCrPT61andDblJOWGdtaUE

Hey, thanks for this!

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Just wanted a quick opinion from people more knowledgeable than myself. I've been given an offer of getting Space Alert (no expansion) for $15, Prophecy with expansion for $20 and Mansions of Madness for $30. Are they worthwhile purchases at those prices? They're not all from 1 person, hence the separate prices for each game.

Edit: Right, forgot the second half of the thread title. Okay, OTHER THAN SPACE ALERT, are those worthwhile purchases at those prices?

Randalor fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Oct 18, 2012

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Randalor posted:

Space Alert (no expansion) for $15

OH GOD YES

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Randalor posted:

Just wanted a quick opinion from people more knowledgeable than myself. I've been given an offer of getting Space Alert (no expansion) for $15, Prophecy with expansion for $20 and Mansions of Madness for $30. Are they worthwhile purchases at those prices? They're not all from 1 person, hence the separate prices for each game.

Edit: Right, forgot the second half of the thread title. Okay, OTHER THAN SPACE ALERT, are those worthwhile purchases at those prices?

Yes, maybe, gently caress no(I wouldn't pay $20 for that game).

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Having played it a few times, Mansions of Madness suffers from one of the problems of Descent 1E and Betrayal at House on the Hill, that play experience is notably different if you've done that quest before or not. For instance, the fifth quest has an option that allows for the investigators to instantly lose by accidentally opening the wrong door. Played that one and everyone had a bad taste in their mouths, even the keeper.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I also had a problem in Mansions of Madness - in one particular quest I was a traitor, but I had the macguffin that would win the investigators the game. I ended up just running to the furthest corner of the house, which was a really unsatisfying end to the game.

I seem to recall that even if they'd reached me and killed me, they would have lost since I was still an investigator and there was a "lose if any investigator is killed" clause going on.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Gort posted:

I seem to recall that even if they'd reached me and killed me, they would have lost since I was still an investigator and there was a "lose if any investigator is killed" clause going on.
If I recall correctly, that particular scenario (I believe it's the last), where there's the possibility of a traitor, states that killing the traitor does not cause the other investigators to lose. (I do believe their identity is secret, however, so attacking another investigator is still risky.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

User 159355 posted:

If I recall correctly, that particular scenario (I believe it's the last), where there's the possibility of a traitor, states that killing the traitor does not cause the other investigators to lose. (I do believe their identity is secret, however, so attacking another investigator is still risky.)

You might well be right. I think there might've been another reason why they couldn't just kill me off, but I don't really remember.

• Locked thread