Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The store is the most important thing. The easier it is to buy a game, the more likely you will. I can't count how many times my Steam client automatically comes up on startup, I see something I like on sale, couple clicks later I bought it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedicus Mann
May 5, 2012

doctorfrog posted:

- announcing plans for a Steam-like client

Can we just get Steam keys for the games that Steam has?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Uh, I personally see no point for a GOG client and in fact do not want one at all. Steam is enough. However, support for Linux and/or Mac would be nifty, even if just the DOSBox games, but they could go one step further, be clever, and do Wine-packaged editions ready to work for non-techy users of those systems.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Now that GOG is getting newer games, and thus more updates, a client that handled updating the games automatically would be pretty handy.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Is there some reason No One Lives Forever has never gotten a digital release in any form? I found my case but I don't know where the disc went. :(

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Saoshyant posted:

Uh, I personally see no point for a GOG client and in fact do not want one at all. Steam is enough. However, support for Linux and/or Mac would be nifty, even if just the DOSBox games, but they could go one step further, be clever, and do Wine-packaged editions ready to work for non-techy users of those systems.

If they do go this route and it harps up something close to Desura, I see no problems. Nothing I want mind you, but I'm not even sure if Desura has any DRM in it since it acts more like a front end for their community and optional patching of installed games.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Zoe posted:

Is there some reason No One Lives Forever has never gotten a digital release in any form? I found my case but I don't know where the disc went. :(

The IP is owned by Fox who don't give two fucks.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

The IP is owned by Fox who don't give two fucks.

That's Vivendi (Activision) these days.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Zoe posted:

I wondered about this too, so I did a bit of Googling. It seems, much like System Shock, the rights are split between different companies.

I don't know how far up on lists of most sought-after games NOLF ends up, but I'm pretty sure Gog is trying pretty hard to acquire the series.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Andrigaar posted:

If they do go this route and it harps up something close to Desura, I see no problems. Nothing I want mind you, but I'm not even sure if Desura has any DRM in it since it acts more like a front end for their community and optional patching of installed games.

Desura is very friendly. Their client is optional (though they do strongly encourage it), you can download your games directly from their website. Desura itself is not DRM and does not have DRM, but they allow games to have their own DRM.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Postal 2 is 4 bucks today. I think you should get it.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Anyone crazy about Steam should note that it's also just been Greenlit, so should be appearing there sometime soon.

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Murderology AND Murderonomy!
Edit: I am stupid as hell and should try troubleshooting in depth sometime.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Saoshyant posted:

Exactly. I prefer having my GOG games as seperate, easy to use installers, there's no reason to hassle with programs that wouldn't actually add anything to the current system.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I think maybe "client" comes with some connotations people aren't happy with. I'd be satisfied if the currently downloader utility got a couple more features like being able to queue up other games from my library to download through it.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

THE BAR posted:

Exactly. I prefer having my GOG games as seperate, easy to use installers
Thats the reason I prefer them over Steam to begin with.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

So I think Obsidian just spilled the beans on gog.com's announcement:

Project Eternity Email posted:

GOG.com: We will be offering DRM-free options based on the platforms that GOG supports at the time of us shipping the game. Currently, this means you only have a Windows DRM-free option, but apparently some big news for Mac users is coming...tonight, and hopefully good news for Linux users too down the road.

Or is there something else I missed about gog.com and Macs?
Edit: I guess they did already say the announcement was about Macs, I just was oblivious.

Humerus fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Oct 18, 2012

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
More like the article they linked.

GOG almost always do this for whatever reason.

Zedicus Mann
May 5, 2012

jivjov posted:

I think maybe "client" comes with some connotations people aren't happy with. I'd be satisfied if the currently downloader utility got a couple more features like being able to queue up other games from my library to download through it.

But you can do that already.

mid83
Oct 15, 2012
So essentially we are looking at increased mac support as the big announcement?

Cool for mac users I guess.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Zedicus Mann posted:

But you can do that already.

Sorry, I meant being able to add games to the downloader from the downloader, without going to the website.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

So, being able to pull up your library, download and install a game, all from the downloader client. Sounds doable. Wonder if it's on their features list.

e: Although on second thought, it's in their best interest as a store to make you go online to their store first. Like putting milk in the back of a grocery store, you see all the announcements.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Oct 18, 2012

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal
Bioforge is getting released today.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
How are Macs analog? I can see the next video...

"Oh, I'm sorry, I thought Macs were genetically engineered bio-computers."
(cut to imagination sequence of horrifying flesh computer that repeatedly chants "PRAISE JOBS")
"And Linux, too."
(cut to imagination sequence of a penguin with wires coming out of it)

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

mr. why posted:

The LP of this game makes it look pretty rough for someone who didn't play it back then.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

mr. why posted:

Man, I used to revere that game. I should get it and see how rose tinted my glasses are.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

The LP of this game makes it look pretty rough for someone who didn't play it back then.

Early polygons in static 320x200 screenshots make it look pretty serrated, yeah. It's better in motion.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

It probably is. It has pre-Resident Evil tank controls and feels slow and sluggish as hell. Still, I thought it was pretty cool at the time.

Edit: Pretty stoked about more 3rd person adventure games with pre-rendered backgrounds, though. Now we just need Time Commando and Knight's Chase.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Oct 18, 2012

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Everyone should get Bioforge, because it is great. Although if you get it for the fork, you'll be sorely disappointed.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

Fil5000 posted:

Everyone should get Bioforge, because it is great. Although if you get it for the fork, you'll be sorely disappointed.

A HUNK OF MEAT

I played this game endlessly when I was a kid. It's a little clunky, but it definitely has a feel that is unlike any other game I can think of. Maybe watch a few videos online and see what you think. Not sure if I'll get it since there aren't too many extras, but it may be worth it since my boxed copy no longer functions.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
I played it for ages as a kid but never got far. Watching the LP from awhile back I can see why, there were some pretty tough & silly puzzles, not to mention the difficult combat. The intro video, setting and bleak tone of the game was excellent though

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Hakkesshu posted:

Now we just need Time Commando
The good news: http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/time_commando

The bad news: The game is awful. Much worse than you remember it being

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Amethyst posted:

Hah, I somehow missed that. No, I always thought that game was garbage, but it's still fun as a historical curiosity.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I think we all know what it's going to be. A free fedora for every gog user.

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

Amethyst posted:

I bought the PSX version a few years ago, when I bought a bunch of PSX games that slipped under my radar. I don't even know if I still have it or threw it away/sold it. I only took a closer look at it after I bought it and never actually played it... It's like everything that's wrong about 90s games combined into a single game.

edit: four and a half stars :laugh:

Myron fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Oct 18, 2012

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

I refuse to replay Time Commando, because I must have finished it at least 30 times as a kid and thought it was amazing, when it's pretty clear it's terrible, so it's better to keep my memories. :unsmith:

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

It was great when the only thing comparable to it was Alone in the Dark.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!
My favourite thing about Time Commando is how you can fight him in Little Big Adventure 2.

Alasyre
Apr 6, 2009
This has probably been asked a hundred times, but can someone explain why it's so hard to get expansions for the games GOG already has? Seems like they'd ask for both at the negotiating table. I want my Alien Crossfire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Alasyre posted:

This has probably been asked a hundred times, but can someone explain why it's so hard to get expansions for the games GOG already has? Seems like they'd ask for both at the negotiating table. I want my Alien Crossfire.

EA is weird.