Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

DUNCAN DONUTS posted:

Does anyone have thefirstrow.eu's desktop app to stream HD? I want it but I'm worried it's going to put bad poo poo on my PC.

I installed it (at least the equivalent app from VIP Box). It asks to install a bunch of useless adware and toolbars but if you decline it just installs the app. I checked via the Windows Control Panel.

The app itself looks to be mainly a mini-browser that functions to bypass AdBlock so you have to put up with all the lovely ads you'd miss otherwise. The streams look to be identical with what's available via the web, so it seemed pointless and I uninstalled it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DUNCAN DONUTS
Mar 27, 2010

by XyloJW

Deteriorata posted:

I installed it (at least the equivalent app from VIP Box). It asks to install a bunch of useless adware and toolbars but if you decline it just installs the app. I checked via the Windows Control Panel.

The app itself looks to be mainly a mini-browser that functions to bypass AdBlock so you have to put up with all the lovely ads you'd miss otherwise. The streams look to be identical with what's available via the web, so it seemed pointless and I uninstalled it.

Thanks!

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Declan MacManus posted:

It's kinda cool that Agassi didn't mind tearing down his own legacy. Not very smart, but it's cool that he opened up about his own hosed up existence instead of waiting for someone else to unearth it. Also lol wigs

Curtis Martin's Hall of Fame speech is also a must-watch for the whole "sports was forced upon me" thing. Pretty unsettling.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER
So I decided to become a Bears fan.

Bears stuff,

1) What do I need to know about the current team?
2) I've read up on guys like Butkus, Singletary and Sayers, plus the 1985 squad. I'm more curious about recent history (say: 90s onward) and anything notable/hilarious about the team.
3) My buddy who is getting me into football is a huge Steelers fan. My understanding of the NFL's schedule is that they'll be playing a game against each other next year in Pittsburgh. Will I get murdered if I go to Heinz Field as a Bears fan? Are NFL tickets hard to get?

General football stuff,

1) There was a mention of a book or two way earlier in the thread, that I can't track down anymore, for learning basic football strategy. Anyone recall the name?
2) Would picking up a current copy of Madden and loving around with it help with learning the game?
3) Any suggestions on learning about the game while watching games if you're coming into football as a hockey fan?
4) Oh yeah, Yuki Jersey, decent place to get NFL jerseys?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Perdido posted:

2) I've read up on guys like Butkus, Singletary and Sayers, plus the 1985 squad. I'm more curious about recent history (say: 90s onward) and anything notable/hilarious about the team.

I'll let a Bears fan handle the current/more recent team, but I'll throw this in. You probably already know a little about him but since you didn't specifically name him my advice is to look up Walter Payton. Here's his NFL films top 100 thing. He was plenty fast and plenty shifty, but holy crap was he vicious too. There are plenty of guys who run over people that break down after a few years but Sweetness just didn't break down. This video isn't specifically about him, it's about the stiffarm in general. But it's still one of my favorite Payton bits, just because you watch everyone else and think 'wow' but then you get to Payton and think :aaa:

vvv--Because of that I'll add in that no matter what his failings are Cutler is the best Bears quarterback since at least Jim McMahon pre injuries and probably since Sid Luckman (some guy in the '40s). For such a storied franchise they have been really consistently bad at that position.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Oct 16, 2012

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Perdido posted:

1) What do I need to know about the current team?

Cutler is either a douchebag, or a cat, depending on who you ask.
Urlacher is mediocre but is riding the reputation train

quote:

3) My buddy who is getting me into football is a huge Steelers fan. My understanding of the NFL's schedule is that they'll be playing a game against each other next year in Pittsburgh. Will I get murdered if I go to Heinz Field as a Bears fan? Are NFL tickets hard to get?

No, but you would be much better off just being a Steelers fan :smug:

quote:

2) Would picking up a current copy of Madden and loving around with it help with learning the game?

If you are a total beginner, it can help. Just don't play regular mode. If you play career mode as a specific position for a few in-game seasons, it can help you better understand their role in the offense or defense, and how they react to their opponents. Just keep in mind that Madden is still really broken when it comes to "accurate" football. I have a HB who just finished a 5000 yard season on the hardest difficulty.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Kiwi Bigtree posted:

Being a steelers fan is akin to supporting hitler of your own free will, don't listen this man.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER

hopterque posted:

Being a steelers fan is akin to supporting hitler of your own free will, don't listen this man.

This is funny because my Steelers fan buddy is an Israeli born Jew.

Grittybeard posted:

I'll let a Bears fan handle the current/more recent team, but I'll throw this in. You probably already know a little about him but since you didn't specifically name him my advice is to look up Walter Payton.

Yeah, I've never been a football fan, but even I was aware of who Payton was. Thank you for the links, though!

Perdido fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Oct 16, 2012

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

quote != edit

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Perdido posted:

This is funny because my Steelers fan buddy is an Israeli born Jew.

Legit, every hockey fan should be a Steelers fan. We have concussions, violent enforcers, and a handful of acquitted criminals. We are hockey as all hell.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

hopterque posted:

A true and accurate statement.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Kiwi Bigtree posted:

Legit, every hockey fan should be a Steelers fan. We have concussions, violent enforcers, and a handful of acquitted criminals. We are hockey as all hell.

That's not really what hockey is about and I'm starting to think you just say stuff without bothering to think about it

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Declan MacManus posted:

That's not really what hockey is about and I'm starting to think you just say stuff without bothering to think about it

Because the post was clearly 100% serious

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:

Kiwi Bigtree posted:

:smug: Couldn't he just choose to be one later? :smug:

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Perdido posted:

So I decided to become a Bears fan.

Welcome to the best team in the history of football in the greater Chicagoland metropolitan area. One of the most important things you need to know about Bears football is how they Bears their way to victory. The team has had, until Cutler, essentially no competent quarterbacks, and therefore they've won a bunch of games through nothing but insane defense and excellent special teams (for a long time in the 2000s, the two most important Bears weapons were returner Devin Hester and punter Brad Maynard). This is how you win games when you start quarterbacks like (since 2000):

The Jim Miller/Shane Matthews Platoon
Washed Up Kordell Stewart
Molecular Genetics Major Craig Krenzel
Rex Grossman, The Clown Prince of Quarterbacks
NFL Europe Superstar Jonathan Quinn, the Tallest Quarterback in the World
Kyle Orton (Kyle Orton owns, but take a look at his stats from his rookie year and be amazed that the Bears won ten games)

Great moments in Bearsing your way to victory:

2001: Safety Mike Brown returns two interceptions to the endzone to win in overtime in two consecutive games

Great Big Fat Person Keith Traylor runs 67 yards, nearly dies

2004:
Bears win an overtime game on a safety. They scored on a pick-six, a punt return, a field goal and a safety. This is the most Bears win of all time.

2005:
Nate "The Interceptor" Vasher returns a missed field goal 108 yards in a Bears/Niners where Kyle Orton led the Bears with 67 passing yards. I was confused and thought this was the game that matched up Craig Krenzel against Ken Dorsey in a Fiesta Bowl grudge match, but that was a year earlier.

2006:
Rex Grossman goes 14/37 for 144 yards, 4 interceptions, and 2 fumbles. Bears stage epic comeback with two fumble returns and a Devin Hester punt return. Devin Hester becomes the Bears offense. This is the famous "Crown their rear end game."

Bears ride their incredible defense, Devin Hester, and Good Rex Grossman to the Superbowl. Hester takes the opening kick to the house. Then Rex Grossman spends the second half throwing the ball directly to the Colts' lovely defensive backs.

2009:
Jay Cutler arrives on the Bears. An offensive line, led by Frank "QB Killa" Omiyale is brought in specifically to kill him

2010:
Cutler survives, so Mike Martz is brought in to tell Cutler to hold onto the ball as long as possible so he can die. Cutler is sacked 9 times in the first half of a prime-time game against the Giants.

2011:
Cutler is hurt and Caleb Hanie plays QB for the Bears. Hanie may be the worst Bears quarterback I've ever seen, and I've seen Jonathan Quinn, Cade McNown, and Moses Moreno under center. He is so bad, that he is outplayed by a McCown brother, meaning that he is is at -2 Wins Above McCown.

Some Bears Players You Should Know:

Charles "Peanut" Tillman: One of the best DBs in Bears history, has the uncanny ability to rip the ball out of ball carriers' hands.

Henry Melton: The Bears' defensive tackle has become a pretty good player this year. He was an RB his first year at Texas, where he was brought in to smash people before being switched to DE.

Corey Wootton: The backup DE who I like a lot because I'm an unreasonable Northwestern homer. He is the Favre-Slayer.

Lance Briggs: Urlacher gets the attention, but Briggs has been the best LB on the Bears for years.

J'Marcus Webb: A terrible left tackle that is going to get Jay Cutler killed.

Robby Gould: Pronounced "Gold" for some reason, he is a pretty good kicker.

Patrick Mannelly: Has been the long-snapper since time immemorial.

gently caress a Packer.

R.D. Mangles fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Oct 16, 2012

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

I'll let a Bears fan handle the current/more recent team, but I'll throw this in. You probably already know a little about him but since you didn't specifically name him my advice is to look up Walter Payton. Here's his NFL films top 100 thing. He was plenty fast and plenty shifty, but holy crap was he vicious too. There are plenty of guys who run over people that break down after a few years but Sweetness just didn't break down. This video isn't specifically about him, it's about the stiffarm in general. But it's still one of my favorite Payton bits, just because you watch everyone else and think 'wow' but then you get to Payton and think :aaa:

Well yeah because he used his elbow :colbert:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Arschlochkind posted:

Oh yeah.... well you are...

...poo poo...:saddowns:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Arschlochkind posted:

:golfclap:
See Titans game for reference.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE
Very solid choice in the Bears.
Traditional football power hallmarked by an ever physical defense.

Now is perhaps an even a more enjoyable time to be a Bears fan because they are going through an Offensive Renaissance (well for the Bears that is)

The more you read about the Bears you will discover that only recently did the Bears bother to field an actual offense, maintaining that an empty jar of honey and another defensive tackle could be used as a quarterback and running back respectively.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Yeah the Bears are a great choice. They have never been truly terrible so you won't have a poo poo time being a fan, but they have also haven't been dominant (in my adult life) so you won't face the dumb stigma of being a bandwagon fan.

Tons of cool history and culture, lots of exciting players, and hope for the future.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Also the NFC North in general is a p cool and chill conference. Sure Packers/Bears is the oldest rivalry in the NFL but I generally root for the Lions and Vikings and like seeing them do well.

"Hope for the future" might be a stretch, given that most of our defensive stars are within 3 years from retirement. However, I have faith in the new GM Phil Emery because he's done more good for the team in a year then Jerry Angelo did in 10

e-Also I noticed from following some GDT's that for some reason a majority of TFF Bears fans don't have team-related avatars. Used to be a lot of Lovie avs though

GNU Order fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Oct 17, 2012

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

GNU Order posted:

Also the NFC North in general is a p cool and chill conference. Sure Packers/Bears is the oldest rivalry in the NFL but I generally root for the Lions and Vikings and like seeing them do well.

Its probably weird to say, but I really do find the NFC North to probably be my favorite overall division. It has to be the most iconic division in the NFL. They also represent that classic NFL idea of big blue collar guys wailing on each other in the loving snow. Ask any non-fan to name famous NFL teams, and you are almost guaranteed to get the Bears, Packers, Vikings, and Lions in their answers.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

Kiwi Bigtree posted:

Ask any non-fan to name famous NFL teams, and you are almost guaranteed to get the Bears, Packers, Vikings, and Lions in their answers.

Agree with the first two but I'd say you'd get Giants, Cowboys, and Steelers before Vikings and Lions.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

pasaluki posted:

Agree with the first two but I'd say you'd get Giants, Cowboys, and Steelers before Vikings and Lions.

No doubt, but I would still say the Vikings and Lions have to be in the top ten of identifiable teams.

This is the part where someone shows me some stat that says I am wrong and makes fun of me huh :ohdear:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Bears are cool and fun and not the Steelers so do it. Plus you can rep a Jay Cutty avatar like a boss.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Also, all the SNL Bill Swerski Superfans videos are required Bears fan viewing.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/4171

Sorta dated but the stereotype still holds true. These sort of people exist in Chicago, and you can hear them if you listen to Bears postgame radio after a bad loss.

e- The second one is kinda poo poo after watching it again, so just watch the one

GNU Order fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Oct 17, 2012

The Incredible Ed
Nov 12, 2006

The way of a sluggard is like a hedge of thorns, but the path of the upright is a level highway.

GNU Order posted:

e-Also I noticed from following some GDT's that for some reason a majority of TFF Bears fans don't have team-related avatars. Used to be a lot of Lovie avs though

Lovietars are the best tars.

:smugdog:

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

Kiwi Bigtree posted:

No doubt, but I would still say the Vikings and Lions have to be in the top ten of identifiable teams.

This is the part where someone shows me some stat that says I am wrong and makes fun of me huh :ohdear:

It's all good. There is probably a debate somewhere about whether the most "quintessential" football division is the NFC East or NFC North but who cares lol

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

GNU Order posted:

Also, all the SNL Bill Swerski Superfans videos are required Bears fan viewing.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/4171

Sorta dated but the stereotype still holds true. These sort of people exist in Chicago, and you can hear them if you listen to Bears postgame radio after a bad loss.

e- The second one is kinda poo poo after watching it again, so just watch the one

I saw those when they originally aired.

Christ, I'm old. :smith:

Also, what's the deal with Grossman and being called the Clown Prince of Quarterbacks? Is Rivers the heir apparent for that title right now?

Perdido fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Oct 17, 2012

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Perdido posted:

I saw those when they originally aired.

Christ, I'm old. :smith:

Also, what's the deal with Grossman and being called the Clown Prince of Quarterbacks? Is Rivers the heir apparent for that title right now?

Not really. Rivers has bad games on occasion but Grossman would have 8 good-to-great games and 8 loving embarrassing ones every season. I think he's actually the only QB to have a perfect passer rating (158.3) and a goose-egg rating in the same season.

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch
What happens if a punt is blocked through the back of the end zone? For instance, a kicker kicking in his own endzone, it gets blocked and shoots back through the back. Touchback? Safety?

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

Noah posted:

What happens if a punt is blocked through the back of the end zone? For instance, a kicker kicking in his own endzone, it gets blocked and shoots back through the back. Touchback? Safety?

Good question I'm almost sure it is a Safety. Years ago in the Browns abomination game Moorman had a punt blocked and it landed in the middle of the endzone. To prevent a recovered TD Moorman kicked it out of bounds for the Safety

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

pasaluki posted:

Good question I'm almost sure it is a Safety.

Correct.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The safety is my favorite type of scoring. I've seen something like six in person. Punt kicked out the back, sack in the endzone, intentional safety, intentional ground from the endzone, I've seen it all.

I hope to live to see the one point safety, even just on TV. I missed the 2004 one.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

Sash! posted:

The safety is my favorite type of scoring. I've seen something like six in person.

The safety caused by the defense collapsing the pocket or running lanes and driving the QB or RB into his own endzone is as beautiful as it is brutal.
It looks so pleasing to the eye and is a moment of absolute vindication for a defense. Even more than a pick six or a sack.

Many will say that a safety isn't worth only two points. But they don't realize that the most lasting damage can be psychological.

The fact that 2 is crooked is all the better. If an NFL team scores 4 points and doesn't lose that should send a chill up your spine.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Safeties are the best, haters vacate.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

pasaluki posted:

The safety caused by the defense collapsing the pocket or running lanes and driving the QB or RB into his own endzone is as beautiful as it is brutal.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Was that wrong? Should I not have done that? I tell you, I gotta plead ignorance on this one.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

He owned up to it eventually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
I remember hearing about a safety caused by the offense lining up to punt without a punter.

• Locked thread