Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DUNCAN DONUTS
Mar 27, 2010

by XyloJW

Noah posted:

What happens if a punt is blocked through the back of the end zone? For instance, a kicker kicking in his own endzone, it gets blocked and shoots back through the back. Touchback? Safety?

In 2009 (?) against Ohio State, USC's long snapper whiffed it right over his punter's head and out the back of the endzone for a safety. They still won, but momentum shifted for awhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Noah posted:

What happens if a punt is blocked through the back of the end zone? For instance, a kicker kicking in his own endzone, it gets blocked and shoots back through the back. Touchback? Safety?

When the ball goes dead in an end zone and it's not a touchdown, you work out touchback/safety by deciding whose fault it is that the ball ended up there, and then it goes against them. In this situation the rulebook blames Team A for having to kick the ball, not Team B for being good enough to block it.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Why, when getting corraled behind the line of scrimmage, do QBs take the sack rather than toss to the sidelines to reset? Is it the risk of the defence knocking the ball before he gets his arm forward and causing the fumble behind the offensive line?

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

MonsterUnderYourBed posted:

Why, when getting corraled behind the line of scrimmage, do QBs take the sack rather than toss to the sidelines to reset? Is it the risk of the defence knocking the ball before he gets his arm forward and causing the fumble behind the offensive line?

^^^ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intentional_grounding

THIS is how you take a safety

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saTL9CMZJeE

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
To add on to intentional grounding (or for instances where it wouldn't apply) yes it is sometimes dangerous to throw the ball away if you're about to be hit. If you know you can throw it away then great, but even if you can actually get a pass off it might not go where you're thinking it will if someone is hitting you at the same time. Every now and then in that situation you'll see a duck fly out of the QB's hand and go straight to a defender for an easy pick.

Let us know if that link explains it well enough by the way, the rule can seem complicated.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I had to look it up because I wasn't sure if I'd imagined it or not, but sure enough:

my favorite safety I saw was 2006 PSU-Illinois. PSU's up 17-12 late in the game with Illinois pinned inside their own five. Illinois clearly intends to take the safety on 4th and 15, but Juice Williams rolls out (?!) instead of just falling down. He gets sacked in the endzone for the safety. There's about a minute and a half left and its only 19-12 now. Illinois goes for the on-side...which is fielded by PSU, who runs it straight into the endzone.

It was a hilarious bad game. Illinois only scored on FGs and PSU's defense scored 16 points and two of the three TDs on the day.

Game never happened.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

It can be called intentional grounding and the result of intentional grounding in the end zone is a safety.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d826a9a00/Safety-first-for-the-Giants

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Grittybeard posted:

To add on to intentional grounding (or for instances where it wouldn't apply) yes it is sometimes dangerous to throw the ball away if you're about to be hit. If you know you can throw it away then great, but even if you can actually get a pass off it might not go where you're thinking it will if someone is hitting you at the same time. Every now and then in that situation you'll see a duck fly out of the QB's hand and go straight to a defender for an easy pick.

Let us know if that link explains it well enough by the way, the rule can seem complicated.

That explained it really well, thanks!

I still don't really understand the kicking rules. I think it goes something like this?

The receiver can call for a fair catch, in which case kicking team cannot contact him. Not sure what happens if he fails to catch, treated same as if no fair catch was called?

If the Kicking team touches the ball before the Receiving team, the ball is called dead at that spot and play begins with the receiving team in possession from that line.

If the receiving team makes contact with the ball, the ball is live, so if they make contact but don't grab it the kicking team can take possession(I guess it is treated as a fumble?), and this is the theory behind onside kicks(are they the same thing as a squib kick?), you tfy to richochet the ball off a receiving team member so you can recover the fumble and possession.

If the ball gets to the endzone it is a touchback.

If the ball leaves through the sidelines it is called dead where it crossed, and play restarts from there, does this only occur with punting? For a kickoff is this a touchback?

For PAT attempts the ball is dead if its blocked?(although not in college football)

For field goal attempts is it treated like a punt? Is the ball live if it comes off a defender? Can it be returned? Does a failed field goal count as 4 outs so the ball is reset at the line of scrimmage and possession swapped?

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Just answering the bits I know;

Yes PATs are dead if unsuccessful and cannot be returned in the NFL.

and yes field goal attempts that remain in the field of play can be returned for touchdowns. Devin Hester did so a few years back I believe

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

The receiver can call for a fair catch, in which case kicking team cannot contact him. Not sure what happens if he fails to catch, treated same as if no fair catch was called?
Correct. But even if he doesn't call for a fair catch, the kicking team cannot hit him until he catches the ball.

quote:

If the Kicking team touches the ball before the Receiving team, the ball is called dead at that spot and play begins with the receiving team in possession from that line.
Correct, on a punt.

quote:

If the receiving team makes contact with the ball, the ball is live, so if they make contact but don't grab it the kicking team can take possession(I guess it is treated as a fumble?), and this is the theory behind onside kicks(are they the same thing as a squib kick?), you tfy to richochet the ball off a receiving team member so you can recover the fumble and possession.
This is all true. But, once a kickoff goes 10 yards, the kicking team can recover it even if the receiving team did not touch it. You might see a kicker try to roll the ball straight ahead of him and fall on it as it crosses the 10 yard distance.

A squib kick is a kickoff that rolls on the ground, ostensibly to prevent the receiving team from having a chance to return it (it will be picked up by a fat guy and the kicking team will be right in his face quickly).

quote:

If the ball gets to the endzone it is a touchback.

If the ball leaves through the sidelines it is called dead where it crossed, and play restarts from there, does this only occur with punting? For a kickoff is this a touchback?
A kickoff out of bounds is a penalty and the ball is placed 30 yards from the spot of the kick.

quote:

For PAT attempts the ball is dead if its blocked?(although not in college football)
Yes

quote:

For field goal attempts is it treated like a punt? Is the ball live if it comes off a defender? Can it be returned? Does a failed field goal count as 4 outs so the ball is reset at the line of scrimmage and possession swapped?
A missed field goal is an immediate turnover, the defense gets the ball at the spot of the kick, usually 7 yards behind the line of scrimmage.

If a field goal falls short and onto the field of play, the defense can catch and return it. But since you get the ball back after a miss anyway, they usually won't bother to try unless it's the end of a half.

Example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wuQ9kd_m2A

If the field goal is blocked immediately after it is kicked (at the line of scrimmage), the kicking team cannot recover it, unless it was blocked backwards behind the line. If it was tipped and fell forward past the line, only the defense can recover it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrU8z4w8T-4
Here's the infamous Leon Lett play. The Dolphins could not recover the ball after it was blocked at the line, but then the Cowboys touched it, so it was a live ball.

Ice To Meet You fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Oct 20, 2012

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Thanks for that, you guys have been really helpful. So I guess you would usually use a squib kick if you think time will expire before the play is dead, or if you think your defence is a better chance to hold out for what time is left, than your kicking team is of blocking the return.

Another thing I was wondering is how plays are communicated to the team from the coordinator? Does the qb have an earpiece in his helmet? If so, were QBs more autonomous before that was invented, given a basic strategy at the start of each drive, and then running plays themself out on the field.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

Thanks for that, you guys have been really helpful. So I guess you would usually use a squib kick if you think time will expire before the play is dead, or if you think your defence is a better chance to hold out for what time is left, than your kicking team is of blocking the return.

Another thing I was wondering is how plays are communicated to the team from the coordinator? Does the qb have an earpiece in his helmet? If so, were QBs more autonomous before that was invented, given a basic strategy at the start of each drive, and then running plays themself out on the field.

In the NFL yeah they have ear pieces in their helmets. In lower level ball the use boards or hand signals to get plays in. They may also have a player(usually a wr) who is a play runner and comes off after a play to get the next one while his replacement runs in with the play for the current down. And yeah historically the coaches played a much less important role on game day similar to how rugby coaches are today, so yeah the qb and captains on the field had much more control.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Years ago (prior to the '80s), before there were earpieces and offenses were less sophisticated, many NFL quarterbacks called their own plays. It was a mark of incompetence or mistrust for a coach to have to send plays in.

Now, with special personnel packages for various sets and better communications, almost all playcalling is done by the offensive coordinators from the Press Box.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

I originally was going to posit that all safeties were badass and then I remembered that poo poo, and stuff like holding in the endzone and had to rewrite the whole thing XD.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Exactly, they're used to neutralize dangerous kick returners, or when the kickoff will be the last play of a game still within reach for the receiving team. The tradeoff is you give up a better average field position for a lower chance of a touchdown on the return.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
How long can we expect to see QB's like Manning and Brady for? Would it make sense for the Patriots to trade Brady before the end of career? Or is it a matter of just not giving him a contract?

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Just to expand on Chill McFreeze's post, as I understand it:

There are basically two kick situations: free kicks and kicks from scrimmage. A kick from scrimmage is any sort of kick attempted on a normal down; a free kick is a kick after a score. On a kick from scrimmage, the kicking team can never recover the ball unless it's first touched by the receiving team. A free kick is so called because any player is free to recover the ball, except that the kicking team can't recover it before (1) it goes ten yards and (2) touches the ground or another player. In either case, the kicking team can't directly interfere with the receiving team's attempts to catch the ball, but "catch" is defined to mean "before the ball touches the ground". So on an ideal on-side kick, the ball is kicked into the ground (so that the kicking team is allowed to recover it and can't be flagged for interference) and then bounces at least ten yards and is recovered by the kicking team.

There are three physical ways that you can kick the ball: place kicks (kicked directly from the ground, usually from a tee or from someone's hold), punts (dropped from hands, kicked before it touches the ground), and drop kicks (dropped from hands, kicked after it touches the ground). Drop kicks are totally archaic, because you always have an option and the bounce makes them less effective in every way. You can't place kick on the free kick after a safety (basically as an additional "screw you" to the kicking team, because punts are generally much shorter — it's essentially impossible to punt the ball out of the back of the endzone). You can't score a field goal with a punt (because at least in theory they're longer and harder to block), and you can't score on a free kick (because letting teams score immediately on the kick after a score would actually be kindof dumb).

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

rjmccall posted:

You can't place kick on the free kick after a safety

You can indeed placekick after a safety and teams sometimes do. Punts are usually preferred due to the longer hang time providing better downfield coverage and a shorter return, but teams with good placekickers will use a standard kickoff. Safeties are just rather rare to begin with, so a placekick after a safety is rarer still.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

causticBeet posted:

How long can we expect to see QB's like Manning and Brady for? Would it make sense for the Patriots to trade Brady before the end of career? Or is it a matter of just not giving him a contract?

As long as Brady is productive, he will be a Patriot. If his numbers start to slip, or the management see something they don't like, they will fleece some team for a 1st and 2nd, or at least a 1st.

Football players try too hard to hang on for too long. They always think they have more left to give, which results in most retirements coming after an injury, or after bouncing from team to team and getting cut. Look at Favre and McNabb and how their careers ended. Those are probably the biggest name franchise QB's to have retried recently. I have a feeling Manning will stay in Denver for another year or two, get traded or cut (because of the large contract) go to another team and retire within 5 years.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

swickles posted:

Look at Favre and McNabb and how their careers ended.

And that's how you get Joe Montana in a Chiefs uniform.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Sash! posted:

And that's how you get Joe Montana in a Chiefs uniform.

It helped that his back up on the niners was a hall of famer.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

The NFL has a rule forbidding the use of a tee on a free kick after a safety, so their teams always punt.

I was going to go round and sweep up a few loose ends, and then 45 minutes later I had a big long post and was going into probably far more detail than is good for this thread, so I decided gently caress it, football over here starts again in a couple of weeks, so instead of doing odds and sods out of context I'm going to just go to the rules thread (which will happily field any rules question from the 1st downies) and go over the entire rule about kicks because that would be a good idea.

Oh, and a stats question; if Team A punts, it's muffed, and they get the ball back, does that count as a 4th down conversion the same way that a successful QB sneak on 4th and 1 does?

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Oct 20, 2012

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

Chilly McFreeze posted:

quote:

Correct, on a punt.

This isn't a dead ball, it's illegal touching and a spot foul. If the kicking team touches it; it can be returned by the receiving team, risk free, since they can always elect to go back to the spot it was illegally touched. Illegal touching won't offset a hold or anything like that though.

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010

Trin Tragula posted:

Oh, and a stats question; if Team A punts, it's muffed, and they get the ball back, does that count as a 4th down conversion the same way that a successful QB sneak on 4th and 1 does?

As far as I can recall from every box score I've seen it counts as a turnover and not a 4th down conversion.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Trin Tragula posted:

The NFL has a rule forbidding the use of a tee on a free kick after a safety, so their teams always punt.

Huh, I didn't realize this was NFL-only, okay. I'll go read your post in the rules thread to find out what else I horribly muffed.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

rjmccall posted:

Huh, I didn't realize this was NFL-only, okay. I'll go read your post in the rules thread to find out what else I horribly muffed.

Ohio State kicked off a tee after a safety earlier today, while we're on the subject.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

KettleWL posted:

As far as I can recall from every box score I've seen it counts as a turnover and not a 4th down conversion.

It's akin to a fumble on an interception.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
For some reason australias national broadcaster(think NPRish) 24 hours news service decided to give the results of all the sunday games in a world news bulletin and my team lost so theres no point even watching the replay. Guess I can still watch the monday night game and wait for next week :smith:

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
I guess Detroit decided to put on a clinic for how not to play offence. This is utterly horrid stuff.

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007
not sure if this is the right thread, but I figure I'll have more luck here than anywhere else. I'm looking for dvds of old super bowls, ideally with the commercials. I did some googling and could not find any, and the nfl website doesn't seem particularly helpful. does anyone know if a dvd of old super bowls with the commercials is available anywhere? Ideally something from the 70's or 80's would be awesome.

lonelylikezoidberg fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Oct 28, 2012

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!
You can get DVDs of all the Super Bowls you like from NFL Films, but they are the uninterrupted game footage/telecast. It's doubtful you'll be able to find the old commercials or complete tv broadcasts outside of VHS fan copies.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
So, I never really watched professional football. College, yeah, a lot of it for my college team, but I never followed a pro team.

I decided I should start watching. Since Chicago is my hometown, it's gotta be the Bears.

So, someone tell me about the Bears.

How are they doing this year? What are their prospects? Their strengths? Their star players? What will I get out of a Bears game?

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
There was a pretty good effort post about the Bears within the last few pages. Expect defence. This year you have a chance of offence too.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Check the previous page of this thread for good entry-level Bears stuff, especially R.D. Mangles post

As for "What will I get out of a Bears game", expect a rock solid, predictable defense that thrives on turnovers (we have 6 pick-sixes already this year) that generates insane pass-rush from the front four, a bad/unreliable offense with some of the worst offensive line play in the league, and an average special teams unit that is/has been known to be the best in the league but is having problems pulling it together this season.

We'll probably make the playoffs this year at this rate but any good team will be able to pile on enough points to shut us down

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Here's something that might be good for a laugh

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/chi/career-receiving.htm

For reference, here's Brandon Marshall's career numbers

code:
GP	GS	Rec	Yds	Avg	Lng	TD	Att	Yds	Avg	Lng	TD	FUM	Lost
91	75	494	6,247	12.6	75	34	19	120	6.3	24	0	11	6
Our best recievers were a running back (one of the best but a running back regardless) and guys from the 40's and 60's

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Why don't/can't players drop kick extra points or field goals?

I read on Wikipedia that drop kicked balls are legal, so why don't they? There are some devilishly accurate players in rugby leagues who drop kick through the uprights. I just wonder why they never experiment with that.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
It's more difficult. Players experiment with it in practice all the time, and Doug Flutie even did it in a game a few years ago.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
The shape of the ball (mainly in the pointy ends) makes it more difficult to get it to reliably bounce like you need it to. Rugby balls are a little more friendly to dropkicks because they're rounder at the ends.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
^^^:argh:^^^

I think a lot of the problem would be the shape of the ball. The main point of a drop kick is when you hit it it already has momentum upward instead of downward. A rugby ball is more rounded than an american football so you can more reliably make it bounce straight up rather than roll on or back resuling in a miskick.

I think the shape of the ball would also leave less margin for error on the boot contact due to reduced surface area of the sweet spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

the posted:

Why don't/can't players drop kick extra points or field goals?

I read on Wikipedia that drop kicked balls are legal, so why don't they? There are some devilishly accurate players in rugby leagues who drop kick through the uprights. I just wonder why they never experiment with that.

If you look at Australian football they do it too. In fact all the best. (read hardest hitting) punters are Aussie Rules players. Jeff Wing... :allears:

• Locked thread