Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

UP AND ADAM posted:

Thanks for the new episode SAGCCX :) Arino didn't seem to enjoy playing the game so much, but the in-between segments were among the all-time greats, imo.

Given the reactions I'm pretty sure that they all knew how bad this game was going to be. They seemed to be primarily doing it for the Dragon Ball references...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Random Stranger posted:

(And to head off the comments; yes, we know what it's called in the comic and show. That's actually an error in the original game.)

Well, as someone unfamiliar with the comic or the show: what did the game screw up?

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Hey Random Stranger, I think Arino meant to say "Thank you for..." rather than "Than you" (within the first minute and half).

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
Every time they talk about Retro Game Challenge I have an overwhelming desire to play Star Prince.

Also, why is Goku so goddamn happy all the time?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Silentman0 posted:

Also, why is Goku so goddamn happy all the time?

Goku is a moron.

Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

bring it back :guillotine:

FredMSloniker posted:

Well, as someone unfamiliar with the comic or the show: what did the game screw up?

The tournament is called the "Kung Fu Tournament" in the game, but the one in the manga is the Tenkaichi Budokai, which is basically "Strongest Under the Heavens Martial Arts Tournament." Maybe it's just supposed to be a different tournament altogether, what with the Red Ribbon enemies showing up.

elf help book posted:

Goku is a moron.

Bah, beat me to it.

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

he was dropped on his head as a baby

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
I'm an idiot. It's "Ox" not 0x. Nevermind.

"We will have viewers add lyrics to familiar video game music", not "take familiar video games music."

RadicalR fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Oct 22, 2012

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

I'm just getting back into the episodes and the last one I watched was Legacy of the Wizard. Great timing apparently, thanks again for the translations!

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
That was a crap game among crap games. I'd rather play Super Monkey Adventure over that horrible thing. :argh:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Bocc Kob posted:

That was a crap game among crap games. I'd rather play Super Monkey Adventure over that horrible thing. :argh:

I can honestly say I'd play Dragon Ball before Super Monkey Adventures but it's a really close call. Dragon Ball at least is understandable. At least the portions that aren't the side-view fights. And you can move at a decent pace.

I do find it kind of amusing that two of the worst Famicom games are based on Journey to the West. There's so many bad games that have come out of that novel and it's a tradition that continues to this day...

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

Random Stranger posted:

I do find it kind of amusing that two of the worst Famicom games are based on Journey to the West. There's so many bad games that have come out of that novel and it's a tradition that continues to this day...

If you're talking about Enslaved, I'll have you know that that's a perfectly ok game. :colbert:

Eulogistics
Aug 30, 2012
Sometimes Arino surprises me with his obtuseness. I watched the raws for Ocarina of Time (think it's 109 and 110 or so) and as deep in as the Spirit Temple boss fight, Arino STILL didn't quite understand the "Get item in temple -> use it in some way against boss -> hit it with sword while it's weak" pattern. It might just be me being more used to videogames or something, but even the first time I played the game I got the idea after the king dodongo fight.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Silentman0 posted:

If you're talking about Enslaved, I'll have you know that that's a perfectly ok game. :colbert:

He's talking about the two games mentioned in his post...

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Mister Chief posted:

He's talking about the two games mentioned in his post...

The 'continues to the day' part doesnt apply to Dragon Ball or Super Monkey Adventure.

lets be best friends okay
Jun 1, 2000

okay
A guy I knew in elementary school actually owned Dragon Power, it makes even less sense if you've never heard of Dragonball:

Also for whatever reason they changed Goku's sprite:

He still smiles all the time and has a tail, but I guess they were hedging against somebody licensing the show?

If this game weren't so rare/obscure I think it would have made a lot more of the "Worst NES games ever" lists.

Silly Voodoo
Mar 31, 2011

There will be no clipping!

Daikoku posted:

A guy I knew in elementary school actually owned Dragon Power, it makes even less sense if you've never heard of Dragonball:

I don't think the person who drew this knows what legs look like.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I'd love to read an article on the artists behind all the lovely/cheesy 80s and 90s video game ads and covers

Arthur D Wolfe
Sep 26, 2007

"Holy shit you are a
loathsome jerk, Arthur.
"

victrix posted:

I'd love to read an article on the artists behind all the lovely/cheesy 80s and 90s video game ads and covers
I suspect that much like fantasy book cover artists they are just told over the phone what major features the main characters have and are then let loose. Sometimes what they are told has been (badly) translated from Japanese or they are drunk/high/tired as hell when the phone rings.

Still, at least most NES games got some proper cover art. Games on the Sega Master System were generally not so lucky...

kimpira
Jul 11, 2012

Arthur D Wolfe posted:

Still, at least most NES games got some proper cover art. Games on the Sega Master System were generally not so lucky...

Maybe I'm weird, but I thought that consistent sega box design was the coolest poo poo as a kid. I also really loved the US pixel art covers for Nintendo's early first party titles, like Mario, Metroid, Duck Hunt, Hogan's Alley and Kid Icarus.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Daikoku posted:

He still smiles all the time and has a tail, but I guess they were hedging against somebody licensing the show?

If this game weren't so rare/obscure I think it would have made a lot more of the "Worst NES games ever" lists.

Holy poo poo, I didn't recognize the name at all, but I've seen that cover, it was at the video store I rented NES games from when I was a kid. (Fox Video, next to the Ben Franklin downtown---why do I remember this poo poo and not things like "where I left my keys?") Never rented it.

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

Arthur D Wolfe posted:

My personal fav

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Shock Trooper posted:

My personal fav

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

Don't you mean...

Nill fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Oct 22, 2012

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

Zeether posted:

All the GCCX2 talk in this episode makes me more depressed about how it never came out here :smith:
I'm watching the episode right now and I got even more depressed during that segment when they announced the first game getting released here, and the VO asked "Will it cause a sensation overseas, too?" :smith:

At least the DVDs seem to be doing really well even though I do wish they could've gotten it licensed before RGC's release, so the game could've done better with the show more established here. But, in a way, we're probably better off since zari got to do the awesome re-translations and hopefully future official translations. :)

Even though I know I've said this many times in this thread, I'm still holding out for the RGC2 fan translation to hopefully get finished, and/or indies zero making a compilation of both games on the Wii U or 3DS that will be released outside of Japan. :shobon:

That picture is strangely fitting considering it's almost Halloween. :zombie:

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Daikoku posted:

Why didn't they change any of the other characters if it was a licensing thing? Maybe they figured that the Sun Wukong character was more recogniseable in the west than DBZ? Except I don't think that Monkey show was even released in the US so... :psyduck:

I actually had no idea Goku had a tail (have never seen DBZ).

e: god this game sucks.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Shock Trooper posted:

My personal fav

I would love to be at the meeting for this pitch:

The leader of Sega said "So we got a game about a fighter jet. How do we convey how truly awesome this concept is on the cover?"

The room fell to a dead silence as minds worked furiously to come up with a perfect pitch. They knew that if they failed, they would end up like Johnson, who now slings hot-dogs in the cafeteria.

A meek hand pops up in the room. A tiny little voice belonging to a tiny little man with a tiny little bit of hair left suddenly fills the silence. "How about we show a picture of a hand holding the card that the game comes on?"

The tiny little man immediately started kicking himself. He knew that soon, the room would erupt into laughter, and he would suffer a fate worse than Johnson. What did the future hold for him? Sewage cleaning, unemployment, prostitution?

All these terrible things ran through his head until the boss said, "I love it! This is the idea that will save Sega!" The room erupt into loud cheers and now Johnson was the hero! And then a massive blood clot that had been building up in his leg came loose and found its way to his lung and he died instantly.

retromonk
Nov 5, 2009

Verveces tui similes pro ientaculo mihi appositi sunt
I never buy DVDs, but I went ahead and ordered the collection on Amazon to support the show.

I wish it was available digitally so I don't have plastic discs laying around and more of the money goes towards the studio and not on manufacturing and transportation costs.

Oh well, it feels good supporting a show that provides me with my weekly dose of Nostalgia (along with Chrontendo ).

I hope North American sales are great, and they start introducing more releases in the US, and maybe more trips TO the US.

Thanks again to all who introduced me to the show.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Corridor posted:

Why didn't they change any of the other characters if it was a licensing thing? Maybe they figured that the Sun Wukong character was more recogniseable in the west than DBZ? Except I don't think that Monkey show was even released in the US so... :psyduck:

e: god this game sucks.

I think they didn't have the rights to use Dragon Ball outside of Japan so they changed it. Kind of. Mainly Goku has changed into the Monkey King. The manual still calls him Goku (which makes it pretty definitive that they decided to try to change it to Journey to the West) but other characters are pretty much unchanged. Or at least they were up through level three which is as far as I've ever gotten in the game.

I'm so glad that the episode I'm working on now doesn't have nearly as many overlays as Dragon Ball did. In fact there's hardly any. Of course I've had it easy; there's another episode in the pipe that one of the bad ones (from our perspective at least).

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006

Corridor posted:

The game is based on the original Dragon Ball series when Goku was a kid and he had a tail since he's a Saiyan. Apparently, it got cut off before Dragon Ball Z starts, but he somehow gets it back in GT... I'm skimming through the series' wiki, so I don't know how or why that happened since I only watched most of DBZ growing up and even then I forgot most of what happened aside from major/awesome stuff like Goku going :ssj: for the first time.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
IIRC Goku turns into a giant monster when the full moon comes out and the only way to stop it is cutting off the tail. The original Dragon Ball series was on after school tv back in my school days and I got into it, but the series only had the first 20 eps or so and would cut off before Goku fights into the tournaments.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

That game original plot is pretty :effort: as hell. "Hey, so Goku beat the tournament, now what?" "Let's put him in SPACE!" "Yeah, and then he can go to the jungle after that!"

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

cronox2 posted:

IIRC Goku turns into a giant monster when the full moon comes out and the only way to stop it is cutting off the tail.

People from Gokus planet turn into giant gorillas/monkeys with glowing red eyes and the rage of 500 burning suns when there's a full moon (I think). Kind of like a Hulk thing only with monkeys and with being as tall as a mountain instead of just being kind of big and muscley. They also lose pretty much all sanity and control when this happens. As you said, the only way to not have this happen is to cut off the tail.

When or why or how Goku lost his tail between DB and DBZ, I forgot. It's been way too long since I've seen any of that. But there's your explanation for the tail. Saiyans are basically monkey aliens with some serious hulk-out powers.

While the game wasn't the greatest (to say the least) I seriously don't understand the decision with the continues in later levels. That's just loving with the player for no other reason than to be cruel.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.
Saiyan tails grow back, and Goku's tail is only permanently removed by Kami at the end of Dragon Ball IIRC.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

abraxas posted:

While the game wasn't the greatest (to say the least) I seriously don't understand the decision with the continues in later levels. That's just loving with the player for no other reason than to be cruel.
A couple of other games Arino's played have had that. Can't remember them off the top of my head though.

I do remember one game I've played that penalized continuing at one point. Sengeki Striker for the arcade throws you back to the beginning of one of the last stages if you try creditfeeding to get past it. Every other time it'll respawn you in place.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

Obeast posted:

The game is based on the original Dragon Ball series when Goku was a kid and he had a tail since he's a Saiyan. Apparently, it got cut off before Dragon Ball Z starts, but he somehow gets it back in GT... I'm skimming through the series' wiki, so I don't know how or why that happened since I only watched most of DBZ growing up and even then I forgot most of what happened aside from major/awesome stuff like Goku going :ssj: for the first time.

On Goku getting his tail back: Emperor Pilaf came back after being forgotten for god knows how long and ends up using Black Star Dragon Balls to wish Goku back to being a kid. Doing this somehow meant that the tail would grow back. Pilaf and the flunkies then just get beaten, and are never really seen again after that if I recall correctly.

On the rest of GT: After that, bullshit with Black Star Dragon Balls come up and a galaxy/universe-wide (forget which) quest to find them before earth goes BOOM because stupid plot (Make a wish on the Black Star Balls, and if you don't gather them back up in a year, your planet goes kaboom. Goku also can't go back to not being a kid without them).

Said Black Star Balls are gathered, a bunch of bullshit happens and a villain is beaten, a SUPER version of Android 17 appears who's apparently an alternate future 17 and "normal" 17 combined (or something, I don't remember exactly what it was). Beaten. The Black Star Balls are turned into Dragons to fight (or something like that). Super Saiyan 4 and more bullshit including Vegeta doing it and fusing with Goku and going SS4. They're all beaten, Black Star Balls are no more or something and Goku's back to normal. Goku goes gently caress 'YALL (except not really) and leaves Earth with Shenlong and the normal Dragon Balls (a "if I'm not here, evil won't come looking for me!" thing I think it was). THE END.

I don't even remember which parts actually went with which and the actual reason for the ending. Simply put, gently caress GT and just go watch or read Dragon Ball. Because everybody only knows what happened in Z. :v:

On the episode of GCCX: That was a fun episode for things that weren't the game itself. The AD Revelation was pretty great, the annual TGS bits are usually nice, and seeing how they started Sing Whatever The Hell You Want was nice. Especially the reaction to Tanii's lyric "submission".

Trying to use words that don't actually give things away in case anyone still hasn't watched the episode yet.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

Zeether posted:

I do remember one game I've played that penalized continuing at one point. Sengeki Striker for the arcade throws you back to the beginning of one of the last stages if you try creditfeeding to get past it. Every other time it'll respawn you in place.

See, with an arcade game I can sorta kinda see it. You can just creditfeed it forever and brute force your way through, especially if it respawns you in place. I'd still argue that earning more coins by letting people brute force their way through your arcade game is better from a business standpoint (for the arcades, at least) but for the "integrity of your game" it seems like a somewhat understandable decision.

For an NES game though, what's the reasoning? Especially since the later levels were the "most interesting" because they weren't just a retelling of the manga/anime. Resetting you to the beginning of the level seems punishment enough for me, especially considering how insane the last level seemed to be. But, in the end, it's a NES game, so there's all the reasoning you need I guess.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006

Zeether posted:

A couple of other games Arino's played have had that. Can't remember them off the top of my head though.
I think Solomon's Key was one of them, but I think that game could get away with it since it expects you to know the ins-and-outs of how it works by that point, which was very late in the game IIRC. Plus, the levels were pretty short and looked pretty easy once you knew exactly what to do.

Volfogg posted:

:words: about Dragon Ball
GT sounds pretty terrible and you actually made me happy that I never watched it. I did play that really lovely PSOne 3D fighting game that came out years before the show even aired on Cartoon Network, though.

I actually forgot where I stopped watching DBZ... I think it was the season after the Cell Saga when my brother and I lost interest. I never saw the original DB, but I kinda wanna watch it out of curiosity.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

cronox2 posted:

IIRC Goku turns into a giant monster when the full moon comes out and the only way to stop it is cutting off the tail. The original Dragon Ball series was on after school tv back in my school days and I got into it, but the series only had the first 20 eps or so and would cut off before Goku fights into the tournaments.

I remember being so disappointed by that since the final episode ended with the narrator guy telling us to stay tuned for Goku and friends in the big tournament!

That version had the most kick-rear end theme too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnYYepoUbkk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Obeast posted:

I actually forgot where I stopped watching DBZ... I think it was the season after the Cell Saga when my brother and I lost interest. I never saw the original DB, but I kinda wanna watch it out of curiosity.

I think Dragon Ball is the best of the three series. I just prefer the adventure aspects and the quirky characters to the constant powering up and planet destroying fights in Z.