Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm holding out for the XE 1. Might be worth looking at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Lately I've been realizing that I'm in need of a decent telephoto for m4/3rds. Anyone have experience with the Panasonic 45-200mm f/4-5.6, or are there better ones out there (that aren't too much more expensive)?

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro...

Cacator posted:

Lately I've been realizing that I'm in need of a decent telephoto for m4/3rds. Anyone have experience with the Panasonic 45-200mm f/4-5.6, or are there better ones out there (that aren't too much more expensive)?

I had one when I had my OM-D and pretty much LOVED IT. So much bang for the buck.

Here are 2 sets I shot with that combo before I switched to the X-Pro1

http://www.flickr.com/photos/trip_sixes/sets/72157630722917210/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/trip_sixes/sets/72157630796751398/

krackmonkey fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Oct 11, 2012

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Greyish Orange posted:

So I'm looking on the market at either the X100 or Sony 5N.

Looking through the thread the X100 has been getting constant praise, but at the same time the 5N has the flexible system to mount other lenses.

This will be my first move up from a point and shoot so I'm sure if the fixed lens of the X100 will do me alright, the 35mm nature of it has me interested too. Although being able to change the lens and experiment with other ways of taking photos could be a big boon to the 5N, I'm not all too sure which way to go on this.

Decision - X100 or 5N and an extra lens or two?

I had the same decision last year and chose the 5N. While I would love to have an X100, I don't regret my decision; being able to use a variety of lenses and on top of that have a very usable manual focus system really helped with my ultimate goal of learning more about photography. I still envy the look of the X100, the very nice lens it has and the OOC quality though. One downside of the NEX system was the E-mount lens selection but that is getting better and if you are adapting lenses then that is not much of a point.

One other nice plus of the 5N that I did not plan on liking is the touch screen, specifically touching to focus/zoom for manual focus.

(edit: might be worth mentioning that I was also moving up from a point and shoot. If you want to see any images for reference, here is my flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/28296766@N02/ - nothing spectacular but I would have liked to see some shots for comparison back when I was camera shopping, so might as well. Not all of them are NEX images but most are.)

rio fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Oct 11, 2012

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

krackmonkey posted:

I had one when I had my OM-D and pretty much LOVED IT. So much bang for the buck.

Here are 2 sets I shot with that combo before I switched to the X-Pro1

http://www.flickr.com/photos/trip_sixes/sets/72157630722917210/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/trip_sixes/sets/72157630796751398/

Definitely seems like a good deal, but it looks like there's an Olympus 40-150 and Panasonic 45-150 which are both newer and possibly optically better? (and both are cheaper) Not sure how badly I need the extra zoom, although it's the same aperture range.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006

Greyish Orange posted:

Decision - X100 or 5N and an extra lens or two?

I bought a Nex-5, realized I wanted more manual controls and a real viewfinder (when the 5 came out there was no EVF attachment), impulse bought an X100 in the spring and now am looking to sell the nex-5.

V:shobon:V

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Suicide Watch posted:

The EPL-1 is available for $120 now. I'm nearing impulse-buy mode for one of these with the 15mm f/8 and later a 25 f/1.4 or 20 f/1.7 for when I don't want to have my Nikon. Thoughts?

It seems like an amazing deal as long as the point and shoot style controls don't bother you. I'm definitely thinking about one myself.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

Suicide Watch posted:

The EPL-1 is available for $120 now. I'm nearing impulse-buy mode for one of these with the 15mm f/8 and later a 25 f/1.4 or 20 f/1.7 for when I don't want to have my Nikon. Thoughts?

Where for $120? I need a spare body.

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

dietcokefiend posted:

Where for $120? I need a spare body.

Cameta Camera has a bunch of Oly refurbs via their wesite and Amazon

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Anyone have recommendations for a case with decent padding? It doesn't have to be particularly big, just large enough to fit an NX200 + kit lens. I'd prefer something with good side and bottom padding though, most of what I've seen in stores has next to nothing and probably isn't waterproof either.

Lowepro cases seem to come recommended but I haven't seen many of them in store (yet) and they have like fifty different models.

Also should I get a UV filter, at least for protecting the lens? I'm inevitably going to smudge my greasy fingers all over the lens at some point. Is there some tangible benefit to the $50-$100 filters out there and conversely should I trust the $5-$10 ones?

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Oct 14, 2012

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

NEX7 owners can do the happy dance today, as Sony finally gives you the option via new firmware to disable the GODDAMN MOTHERFUCKING VIDEO BUTTON. This is a good thing.

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/halleluya-sony-a77-and-nex-7-firmware-are-now-here/

NEX-7 updates include:
◾Addition of capability to enable or disable the MOVIE button
◾Addition of exposure settings of bracket shooting (three frames /1.0EV,2.0EV, 3.0EV)
◾Improvement of response for showing auto review image.
◾Improvement of image quality when using a wide angle lens
◾Improvement of indication when setting “Flexible Spot”.

krackmonkey fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Oct 18, 2012

rio
Mar 20, 2008

...they are leaving the 5N to still deal with the record button, aren't they.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty
Fun Shoe
E-PM1s for $250 with the factory 14-42mm II lens.
$170 for a lensless factory refurb

:fap:

I wish I could have snagged one of the $240 white ones, even though I have a white GF2.

wheres my beer fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Oct 18, 2012

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

HNNNGGGG

I really want an OM-D tho. :smith:

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty
Fun Shoe

spankmeister posted:

HNNNGGGG

I really want an OM-D tho. :smith:

I really want an E-PM2.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Is anyone planning on getting the Sony RX-1?

I am kinda warming up to the idea of an amazing full frame compact camera and I shoot 35mm most of the time anyway. Somebody talk me out of spending so much money please :ohdear:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

keyframe posted:

I am kinda warming up to the idea of an amazing full frame compact camera and I shoot 35mm most of the time anyway. Somebody talk me out of spending so much money please :ohdear:

I'm weighing it myself as well. All I have now is a 5DIII + 35L. Next year I go back to school in Chicago. I don't know how practical it is shooting with that non-discrete of a set up whereas the RX1 can slip in a coat pocket.

bloops fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Oct 19, 2012

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

keyframe posted:

I think it would be a good buy, considering that they have the image crop functions to mimic a 50mm @ 18mp and 75mm @ 12mp.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
I'm interested in it just for the leaf shutter.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."

keyframe posted:

I put myself on the list to get one, but I haven't 100% committed. After seeing some early reviews that show it to be better than the Leica M with 35mm Summicron, at a fraction of the price, it doesn't seem as expensive to me.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

alkanphel posted:

I think it would be a good buy, considering that they have the image crop functions to mimic a 50mm @ 18mp and 75mm @ 12mp.

How does something like this work? Like how do you mimic a 75mm with a 35mm lens?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

keyframe posted:

How does something like this work? Like how do you mimic a 75mm with a 35mm lens?

The camera crops to a portion of the sensor that gives a 75mm perspective hence the lower mp count for the 50mm and 75mm 'focal range'.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

^^ Like what he said, and also the quality should be pretty good, considering the OM-D is 16mp and the EP-3 is around 12mp and they both deliver good images.

Anmitzcuaca
Nov 23, 2005

alkanphel posted:

:monocle: is there a wide-angle adapter ala X100 for it too? That would be amazing.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Miso Beno posted:

I really want an E-PM2.

Oh yeah that's the new one right? That thing is sexy.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Anmitzcuaca posted:

:monocle: is there a wide-angle adapter ala X100 for it too? That would be amazing.

Perhaps not a high quality OEM one, but I'm sure you can get something that will screw on to the filter.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Anmitzcuaca posted:

Not at the moment I think but if they're smart they should release one in the future.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
drat you guys. I finally got the m43 I was looking to buy because of that 250$ e-pm1.

When does that hilarious seeming 15mm/8 mega pancake come out? Its basically an impulse purchase just to see what it does :P

E: Actually not sure if it went through. Hm.

ChiTownEddie fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Oct 19, 2012

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
The Olympus 75mm 1.8 is getting well deserved rave reviews everywhere.

Some nice shots with it at the Steve Huff review:

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2012/10/19/the-olympus-75-1-8-lens-quick-review-on-the-om-d-e-m5/

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
^Man that OM-D at 1250. I love my GF1 but god drat. OOC it's better than what I get at 400. GX1 prices can't fall quick enough!

Skeletron
Nov 21, 2005

One day I found out that my urine was acting like a powerful foaming agent.
I'm bummed I missed the adorama and B&H deals on the NEX 5n but Amazon still has it with the 18-55mm lens for $478. This would be my first expensive digital camera. I mainly want it to make high-quality synthesizer demos and music videos for youtube (though I dabble in photography). Should I jump on it? I was also considering the GH2 and Canon 60D.

ReptilePicasso
Jul 22, 2010
Just a heads-up for you guys looking for an X100. I have one posted on the buy/sell thread! Although I'm looking into switching back to a DSLR-type body, I will entertain offers.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I'd get an RX-1 but Wife would probably put my D800 through my head right after.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
As much as I love the quality of rx-1 I think I will go with a x-e1 + 35mm fuji 1.4 lens combo. Rx-1 seems like the camera that will really become something special with the next iteration or two. I expect them to at least add a EVF with the next model.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Oh god, why did I open this thread? So many new shiny toys to consider!

I'm a Canon DSLR guy at the moment but I've got to the point where I rarely take it anywhere with me because it's too bulky and it's hard to be inconspicuous wielding a 60D with a 70-200L hanging off it.

I was looking at buying a Sony RX100 until I laid eyes on the NEX series. For the price of the RX100, I could get a Sony NEX-5N with 16mm and 18-55mm.

My wife is adamant that she doesn't want to sell the Canon gear, even though she's only used it twice (with the kit lens, full auto :() nearly a year ago. I guess she's convinced that the RX100 can't replace it because it's a P&S. I have a feeling the NEX would convince her we don't need two cameras but I dunno...

poo poo this has turned into kind of a ramble. I'm sure I had a point when I started... What would YOU do?

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
I have an RX100, X-Pro1 and an X-100, also I have yet to sell my 5D2 even though I sold all of my Canon glass. I have a problem.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

An AWESOME problem. How do you feel about the RX100?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I have a bunch of EOS gear but I primarily use a 5N now. The good thing about mirrorless systems is that the cost of entry can be cheap if you use adapted manual focus lenses. I haven't touched my DSLR in ages since I got my 5N because its just so much easier to pick up the 5N with and few lenses and go instead of lugging around a big, heavy, bulky bag of gear.

I can't wait for the 35mm f/1.8 to come out. That plus a NEX 6 will be a killer combo.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

RustedChrome posted:

I have an RX100, X-Pro1 and an X-100, also I have yet to sell my 5D2 even though I sold all of my Canon glass. I have a problem.

Whats your favorite-- and why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I'm looking for the cheapest m4/3 camera I can get that I can put an adapter on to use with my Pentax K-mount lenses. Basically, I want the ease of a point-and-shoot with the quality of my PK lenses. Would an E-PL1 be the best choice for me? All I really sort of know is the Olympus line, so I'm not that aware of other brands.