Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009
I see you forgot to mention the nuclear hell raven in that lineup. :colbert:
Why do I recognize it :cripes:

The posterize function ins pretty awesome though. Instant savings in the art department when publishing your own book!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

InfiniteJesters posted:

The dude with the surgical mask and cleaver was shooped from a model photo for a mad scientist costume. The shooped version just makes me think of Dr. Zed from Borderlands, though. :v:

Exactly what I thought.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

ThreeStep posted:

Hey man, regardless of the rest of Touhou there's zero shame in liking Utsuho because Utsuho is metal as everlasting gently caress. :black101:

Doubly so since that pic is also based off of Blame!.

And now I want to make Blame! World.

Captain Foo posted:

Exactly what I thought.

Idea: Bulletstorm World. :v:

EDIT:

BLOWOUT SOON, FELLOW STALKER.

Man I love how the 2nd from the top came out.

InfiniteJesters fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Oct 24, 2012

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature
How are you doing those, if you don't mind me asking?

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

Cyphoderus posted:

How are you doing those, if you don't mind me asking?

ApocWorld Monochrome Stew

Ingredients:

-One Goon
-One copy of GIMP
-One or more pictures of your choice

Directions:

-Take picture(s)
-Desaturate
-Posterize at 2 or possibly 3 levels
-Repeat as desired

:eng101:

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
Here's one of Tom Neville from the Revolution tv show (A great source of grungy people images) that I've been shoppin' because he'll be a great character pic for an Operator or a Hardholder or villain or whatnot.

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009
Looks very much like the book art there, did you posterize then trace over the shapes/clean up the "splatters?"

Its so simple but fun. Here's the Juggernaut I was going to submit to Captain Foo's AW game, found after looking through Maschinen Krieger stuff.

And now I want something AW with a lot of power armor and cyborgs. Started brainstorming something based on a concept I found online a while back and an android RPG. PCs are either tortured cyborgs, the handlers assigned to watch them and maybe some other playbook. Thing is, I can think of a set of stats for the Cyborgs but they wouldn't work for non-Cyborgs too well.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
I like this idea too much to let it rot 10 pages back in the thread.

Rasamune posted:

When you attempt to captchalogue an item for storage in your fetch modus, roll +sharp. On a 10+, it goes right in, perfect fit. On a 7-9, it goes in, but something else goes out — the MC will tell you what, and where it went.

When you look up at the clouds of Skaia, roll +weird. On a 10+, you gain an interesting and useful vision of the future. On a 7-9, you gain an interesting vision — it's up to you to make it useful. The MC will ask you what the vision means to you; answer him truthfully.

When you combine two items in the alchemiter, list their tags and then roll +sharp. On 10+, you get an item with up to five of these tags, on 7-9, you get an item with up to three of these tags (you pick). Describe the item you just made.

On 6-, you get a worthless piece of poo poo — the MC will describe it for you.

Worldstuck is interesting because of the different scopes in the source. The captchalogue & alchemization moves you suggested make great sense for early -stuck, but later on, you'd probably want to abstract the alchemization to something more like the buy move or the savvyhead's crafting:

quote:

When you go into your alchemy station and dedicate yourself to making a thing, decide what and tell the MC. The MC will tell you “sure, no problem, but...” and then 1 to 4 of the following:
• first you’ll have to get/craft ___ (another item);
• you’re going to need ___ to help you with it;
• it’s going to cost you a fuckton of grist;
• the best you’ll be able to do is a crap version, weak and unreliable;
• you’re going to have to add ___ to your alchemy station first;
• it’s going to take several/dozens/hundreds of tries;
• you’re going to have to get some ___ grist first.
The MC might connect them all with “and,” or might throw in a merciful “or.”
Once you’ve accomplished the necessaries, you can go ahead and accomplish the thing itself. The MC will stat it up, or spill, or whatever it calls for.

You'd probably end up abstracting the captchalogues out even further. To take an item out of your sylladex. take it out. No need to make a whole fuss.

Early or late-era, though, I think you got the exact right idea with the clouds of Skaia move. But why stop there? Essentially, you've got two psychic maelstrom-equivalents to define - Skaia and the Horrorterrors. And even in canon, they're left more than vague enough for you to define for yourself in your game.

If you really wanted to turn this into an actual hack, the playbooks are the really interesting question. (Though I suppose they always are!)

You'd want to base them on the class/aspects. I don't think the classes have enough to support a full playbook - you'd probably use the aspects as playbooks (Hero of Light, Hero of Void, etc), and have each player choose a class, which comes with a unique move like this:

Thief of ??? posted:

When you steal something relating to your aspect, roll +cool. On a hit, you take it. On a 10+, choose two. On a 7-9, choose one:

• They don't notice;
• You get all of it;
• You only take what you want to.

(ADVANCED: On 12+, it's all yours, nothing left behind.)

God Tier would give you the 'advanced' versions of the class moves, as well as some nice stat boosts and immortality.

(I swear I spent half an hour trying to get that thief move right, and I'm still not satisfied with it.)

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

ThreeStep posted:

Looks very much like the book art there, did you posterize then trace over the shapes/clean up the "splatters?"

I don't usually bother to posterize, I play with the brightness/contrast to see details, then I set up my layers like so:

1) Top layer: Black (50% opacity while working)
2) Original picture.
3) Background: White

Then you just use the lasso tool to grab sections and cut them out of the top layer (you can switch the colors from black/white) that make good contrasty details, but not TOO detailed. Just enough to make the shapes pop out at you. Don't be afraid to block off large sections and then add fine details later.

The beauty of this is that it can be done in any image editor that allows layers (though I use photoshop). I linked my campaign pages earlier in the thread, but I had my players hand me photos of what their character was like.

My favorites are:

I think that making these helps me to show the players how hot and awesome I feel the players' characters are, especially when I throw in the Borderlands style name callout.

MrQueasy fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Oct 24, 2012

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES

ThreeStep posted:

The posterize function ins pretty awesome though. Instant savings in the art department when publishing your own book!

Haha, nerd.

I have a Touhou redtext and I didn't even realize he posterized a Touhou until you pointed it out. Too busy digging the "Punk is a commodity" denim jacket street punk.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

PleasingFungus posted:

Early or late-era, though, I think you got the exact right idea with the clouds of Skaia move. But why stop there? Essentially, you've got two psychic maelstrom-equivalents to define - Skaia and the Horrorterrors. And even in canon, they're left more than vague enough for you to define for yourself in your game.

How about :

AUGUR (DERSE): When you peer into the Furthest Ring and open your mind to the Horrorterrors, ask a question and roll +soul. On 10+, they answer truthfully, and ask you a question back — answer truthfully, in kind. On a 7-9, they answer truthfully, and then make a demand of you — if you obey, mark XP; if you defy, it's abjuring. On a 6-, you open your mind too wide and they probe too deep — the MC will tell you what happens.

Speaking of which: perhaps abjure, aggress, assail, assess (situation/person), arbitrate, and augur (Prospit/Derse) for the basic moves; and pluck, grit, sight, grace, and soul for the stats? As for the relationship stats... perhaps the quadrants should be involved somehow. :v:

Basing the playbooks on the aspect instead of the class sounds like a good idea. I wonder if one should write a generic move for each of the classes, or restrict each aspect to a small selection of classes (like four to six) and write more specialized moves for them, like the races in Dungeon World.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
Random brainnuggets:

-Flashbangs (3-stun area reload hand loud ap)
-Smoke grenades (+1 to Act Under Fire rolls involving sightlines to enemy)

InfiniteJesters fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Oct 25, 2012

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

InfiniteJesters posted:

Random brainnuggets:

-Flashbangs (3-stun area reload hand ap)
-Smoke grenades (+1 to Act Under Fire rolls involving sightlines to enemy)

I just so happen to have my personal Weapons spreadsheet open right now, so I'm stealing both of those.

edit. have a frag grenade. 2d, area, hand, reload, loud, messy.

Your flash-bang should be +loud btw.

mllaneza fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Oct 25, 2012

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

mllaneza posted:

I just so happen to have my personal Weapons spreadsheet open right now, so I'm stealing both of those.

edit. have a frag grenade. 2d, area, hand, reload, loud, messy.

Your flash-bang should be +loud btw.

Ahhh, right.

Also there's already stats for conventional boomy-type hand grenades in the Apocalypse World books. :eng101:

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Rasamune posted:

How about :

AUGUR (DERSE): When you peer into the Furthest Ring and open your mind to the Horrorterrors, ask a question and roll +soul. On 10+, they answer truthfully, and ask you a question back — answer truthfully, in kind. On a 7-9, they answer truthfully, and then make a demand of you — if you obey, mark XP; if you defy, it's abjuring. On a 6-, you open your mind too wide and they probe too deep — the MC will tell you what happens.

Speaking of which: perhaps abjure, aggress, assail, assess (situation/person), arbitrate, and augur (Prospit/Derse) for the basic moves; and pluck, grit, sight, grace, and soul for the stats? As for the relationship stats... perhaps the quadrants should be involved somehow. :v:

Basing the playbooks on the aspect instead of the class sounds like a good idea. I wonder if one should write a generic move for each of the classes, or restrict each aspect to a small selection of classes (like four to six) and write more specialized moves for them, like the races in Dungeon World.

Augur (DERSE) looks like a great fit to me! For the stats, grit, sight, and grace all look good to me; pluck, on the other hand, feels a little too close to grit for me, and if anything there's no reason not to use cool. (How else can we have a proper coolkid?) Soul... we're looking at Jade, Rose, Kanaya and maybe Aradia here - the three who spent the most time doing their respective auguring, and Aradia because she spent her time communing with weird voices. Of those, only Aradia feels like she's particularly well-fitted to 'soul'! (Because the soulbot, you see.)

What makes sense to me is something about how much you focus on the dream versus how much you focus on reality - Jade (and Feferi, actually) being at one end of that spectrum, and Karkat being at the other. Maybe...

quote:

EB: they're really weird when they talk to me about you, like they're always trying convince me you have some spooky powers, but i'm always like no she seems like a pretty regular girl to me!

spooky?

The move names you suggested are funny (and of course fitting), but I suspect having them all start with the same letter will be confusing enough to get in the way of play. The basic moves in AWorld all have distinct, memorable names, and that's probably a good example to follow.

Off the top of my head... Strife! is a pretty good match for seize by force (the exchange of blows), and makes more sense to emphasize in Worldstuck than in AWorld. (Trading harm for harm is a lot less terrifying of a thought when it's a health vial sliding out rather than bullets slamming into your chest.) We can keep one a-word, and aggress is too perfect a fit for go aggro to lose. Portmanteaus might be a good way to go for the rest... cumulovoyance for augur (Prospit), for example?

My feeling is that restricting the aspects by class will actually be more work (4-6 times more!), and it'll mean that people can't play arbitrary class/aspect combos without potentially having to make custom moves. It makes a lot more sense in Dungeon World, where your dwarf is more suited to some classes than others, but I don't think there's that kind of link in Homeworld I mean Worldstuck.

On the other hand, I was thinking about what you'd want to do if you wanted to add mechanical support for Weird Troll Psychic Bullshit. They are strictly speaking more powerful than humans, but on the other hand, they're also a lot less mentally stable! Not sure how to represent that in play. (It'd also be fun to add support for Cherubim and Squiddle sessions, but one thing at a time.)

Something to keep in mind - the fundamental conflict in Apocalypse World is against scarcity. Scarce food, scarce fuel, scarce medicine. This is not the case in Homestuck! Grist rains from the heavens, you can craft anything you set your mind to. The real struggle in Homestuck is against Sburb - battling with time pressure and time loops. It's most relevant to the fronts, but it's probably also something we should keep in mind when thinking about when designing the moves.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
Saints Row the Third of the World of the Apocalypse.

Best worst idea or BESTEST worst idea? :shepicide:

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

InfiniteJesters posted:

Big purple dildo (2-harm close comical)

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.
I think it's a pretty awesome idea! The Boss could be any number of playbooks, but the over-the-top feel would be extremely easy to emulate in Apocalypse World. Perhaps the Hardhold could be in the ruins of Steelport or Stillwater. All the Saints merchandise could be venerated as part of a lost empire or religion.

When I was reading through the playbooks for Monster of the Week, I thought that some of them would also work quite well for Saint's Row.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Would Johnny Gat be a Battlebabe or Gunlugger?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Gat's a battlebabe, Shaundi's a gunlugger, Boss is a touchstone with NOT TO BE hosed WITH. The better world he envisions is a world of explosions.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

InfiniteJesters posted:

Dude, we've been brainstorming about an AW hack for Homestuck; the time has well passed for this sort of trepidation

Tiger
Oct 18, 2012

And you, who are you? This is what we've got, yes. What are you going to make of it?
Fun Shoe

PleasingFungus posted:

[Homestuck AW hack stuff]
Someone commented a while ago that it was weird there wasn't any Homestuck hack in the Big List of Apocalypse World Hacks. I'm surprised there wasn't too, because I wrote one. I jsut forgot to add it to the list.

It's over here if anyone's interested. I worked on it a lot, playtested it once and was kind of underwhelmed. It was fun to play Homestuck, just as I'd expected, but the AW framework didn't add much the way it fell out. It's entirely possible you could make it a good game, but I ended up abandoning AW and moving on to another type of game. There are links in that document to the other versions, they are not AW and thus off topic. I can talk about them somewhere else if you want me to.

Oh right, I also added my Moomin hack to the list while I was at it. Excuse the English in that one, I wrote it in Swedish and did a quick and dirty translation.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Tiger posted:

Oh right, I also added my Moomin hack to the list while I was at it. Excuse the English in that one, I wrote it in Swedish and did a quick and dirty translation.

I love the Something Awful forums. How else would I have seen Moomin, and Apocalypse World, AND MOOMIN WORLD? You deserve a whiskey.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Tiger posted:

Someone commented a while ago that it was weird there wasn't any Homestuck hack in the Big List of Apocalypse World Hacks. I'm surprised there wasn't too, because I wrote one. I jsut forgot to add it to the list.

It's over here if anyone's interested. I worked on it a lot, playtested it once and was kind of underwhelmed. It was fun to play Homestuck, just as I'd expected, but the AW framework didn't add much the way it fell out. It's entirely possible you could make it a good game, but I ended up abandoning AW and moving on to another type of game. There are links in that document to the other versions, they are not AW and thus off topic. I can talk about them somewhere else if you want me to.

Huh, interesting! Skimming through it, the rules for introducing the characters particularly struck me - one kid at a time, while the other kids/players are left vague until their introduction, with nothing to do but try to hassle the kid(s) who are already playing. How well did that work in play?

"If it lives beyond the first session, you make the rules now" suggests that you only played a one-shot?

I agree that AWorld isn't actually the best framework for Homestuck. It's a great RPG, but Homestuck poses a lot of problems for it - very different themes/fundamental conflicts (as I mentioned in my last post), and an oldschool JRPG scaling mechanism (echeladder, boonbucks, grist) that vanilla AWorld doesn't really have a good way to represent. (Because AWorld is about representing a more cinematic world which doesn't feature that kind of J/RPG progression.)

I do think it'd be possible to make a really good Worldstuck hack - and I think that Rasamune and I were on the right track, and you've got a lot of really good stuff in your hack too! - but I suspect it'd end up looking as much like vanilla AWorld as Spycraft looks like D20, and for similar reasons.

That's the fun of it, of course!

Scrape
Apr 10, 2007

i've been sharpening a knife in the bathroom.
Yeah, ApocWorld hacks are fun to make so there's this tendency try to hack everything into the system. But it doesn't work for a lot of things. It doesn't model the everyman very well, and it doesn't do large-scale progression like you mentioned. The AW engine is best used for iconic characters doing cinematic things for sure. The system is all about "what sacrifice will you make to accomplish your goal?" and it needs to be thematically appropriate.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Mechfishing World hack.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

aldantefax posted:

Mechfishing World hack.

You know what they say: To Do It, Do It.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Mr. Maltose posted:

You know what they say: To Do It, Do It.

Son of a bitch, he did !

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
Figuring out Hx always makes my head hurt.

ants on my cum rag
Sep 2, 2011

"Oh God you got the spray gun, DO NOT LOSE IT, you seriously better not screw this up, I'm not kidding"
~~The Battle Hymn of the Contra Tiger Mother~~
I want to hack up the rules for use in my own setting but my setting is completely mundane. No psychics, no magic and no weirdness. No technology either, as that is incredibly rare. What do I do?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

It is admittedly the most complicated thing in the game, and the nature of PbP possibly makes it worse? I didn't seem to have much trouble with it, so here's what I did:

First, write up your grid:

Keeler --
Bish --
Plover --
Gams --
Uncle --

Then, you tell everything you're going to tell at the same time.
Uncle, you've been with me for days on the road. Hx+2.
Gams, you got me out of some serious poo poo once. Hx+2.
Everyone else, you know a bit about me and where I've been, Hx+1.

Make a note of your modifiers: I write -1 to whatever everyone tells me.
Then, as other people post their Hx, you slowly fill in your grid! I think it's important to keep track of what is an absolute tell (Write Hx+2) and what is a relative modifier (I write +1 to whatever this person says).

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

The Worst Muslim posted:

I want to hack up the rules for use in my own setting but my setting is completely mundane. No psychics, no magic and no weirdness. No technology either, as that is incredibly rare. What do I do?

What's your setting, cavemen? There's gotta be technology of some sort!

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

Captain Foo posted:

It is admittedly the most complicated thing in the game, and the nature of PbP possibly makes it worse? I didn't seem to have much trouble with it, so here's what I did:

First, write up your grid:

Keeler --
Bish --
Plover --
Gams --
Uncle --

Then, you tell everything you're going to tell at the same time.
Uncle, you've been with me for days on the road. Hx+2.
Gams, you got me out of some serious poo poo once. Hx+2.
Everyone else, you know a bit about me and where I've been, Hx+1.

Make a note of your modifiers: I write -1 to whatever everyone tells me.
Then, as other people post their Hx, you slowly fill in your grid! I think it's important to keep track of what is an absolute tell (Write Hx+2) and what is a relative modifier (I write +1 to whatever this person says).

Oooooh, okay.

Yeah, I understand how it works pretty well, it's just that it requires my brain to pretzel itself a little to do what needs doing.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

The Worst Muslim posted:

Figure out the stats and what the basic moves are, then try to map the basic playbooks across, then see if you need to write more rules.

This applies for every single AW hack (figure out the fiction first before all that of course, but you already have).

Scrape
Apr 10, 2007

i've been sharpening a knife in the bathroom.
If you're happy with Cool, Hard, etc, then consider that Weird is just an exploratory Stat. Something for the characters to obtain secret info with, to make known the unknowable. What about Instinct or Intuition?

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011

InfiniteJesters posted:

Figuring out Hx always makes my head hurt.

Hx always struck me as shockingly half-assed compared to the rest of AW. Strings are SO much better than Hx, for real. You kind of need to have a bunch of tokens around to track them, but it's worth it. Not sure how to hack them back into AW though.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

Parkreiner posted:

Hx always struck me as shockingly half-assed compared to the rest of AW. Strings are SO much better than Hx, for real. You kind of need to have a bunch of tokens around to track them, but it's worth it. Not sure how to hack them back into AW though.

To be fair, when Hx works right it works wonderfully. There's something fascinating about characters having a huge amount of ties and action with each other before the game's even begun proper.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Hx confuses me because I keep forgetting it's supposed to be that character's opinion of me, not my opinion of them.
Or maybe I've mixed that up? I'm not sure. I don't get what it means when, say, I've got "Biff +3" written down, but Biff has "Axe -2" written down.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

zachol posted:

Hx confuses me because I keep forgetting it's supposed to be that character's opinion of me, not my opinion of them.
Or maybe I've mixed that up? I'm not sure. I don't get what it means when, say, I've got "Biff +3" written down, but Biff has "Axe -2" written down.

Positive numbers means you them more closely, whether for better or worse. Negative numbers means you're unfamiliar with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

zachol posted:

That means you've got a pretty good understanding of what makes Biff tick, but you're basically a cipher to Biff. (Assuming you're Axe, of course.)

Remember, Hx isn't your opinion of them, it's how well you know them. It's totally possible to have Hx+3 with a dude you want to murder on sight or Hx-3 with someone you're madly in love with.

• Locked thread