Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gary the Llama
Mar 16, 2007
SHIGERU MIYAMOTO IS MY ILLEGITIMATE FATHER!!!

GetWellGamers posted:

So, the deadline for IGF submissions is in 9 days, and we've got what I think is a pretty solid entry, but even so, any way I can conscript a few goons to play through the latest build and give feedback? I'll PM the link if you say yes, or otherwise give me some means to send you the link... :shobon:

I'm more than happy to help. PM me the link.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
Sent!

And hey, even if you guys don't have much time to play, just installing it and seeing if it opens is good testing, too. Compatability cannot be underrated, if the player can't lay your game you lose no matter how good it is. Just a "Yup, it runs" is good feedback. :shobon:

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

I'm having some physics issues :sigh:

Old physics: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1n2iCDN0wM Kinda long, jump 3:20 for the gravity gun, jumping is all over.

New Physics: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FttSgFGJSIw

Someone said my jumps need to be more parabolic, and that the gravity gun should work more like a trebuchet.

Torque2d doesn't really support friction slowing down an object over time. I was using damping, but that reduces all physics including gravity, and linear forces applied upward, making the jump fall off really quickly instead of slowing down a bit first.

Anyone else use torque?

What I did to resolve it was put some code in to set the linear x velocity 80% of what it was last loop per 32ms if the player is grounded. Not sure if that's the right way to do it, though. Almost wish I was using XNA and had more control.

That would disable the dampening while in mid-air, wouldn't it? It seems like you could easily slide off a platform while grabbing something and fall while chucking an object. Also, wouldn't that affect other objects with physics applied to them as well? I don't know how Torque works, but perhaps you can make a separate class for the stuff being chucked that extends the default physics? As soon as you throw it, the object assumes the new behavior and switches back when it stands still or is far enough from the player.

One more thing, you could replace the switches with a rock or a stalactite of some sort that falls onto the platform monster and wakes him up. I think that would convey the relevance between trigger and result more and makes more sense. Also, try making the gravity-gunable fish more obvious, maybe make them occasionally jump out of the water.

Gary the Llama
Mar 16, 2007

GetWellGamers posted:

Sent!

And hey, even if you guys don't have much time to play, just installing it and seeing if it opens is good testing, too. Compatability cannot be underrated, if the player can't lay your game you lose no matter how good it is. Just a "Yup, it runs" is good feedback. :shobon:

Sent you some initial feedback. Now time for bed.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.
Well, I stuck my project on Greenlight's concept section. It's not exactly getting a ton of views/votes right now, but it's still sitting on the second page of concepts in popularity. It's only been up for 4 days, and has 102 unique visitors, and about half the votes of the top 100, except Saturday and Sunday, when it was new and apparently got quite a few hits.

It really needs some more screenshots and a video or two. It definitely wouldn't have done well on the main Greenlight section at the moment.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
Ugh, I noticed there was like this 1 or 2 tile inaccuracy in my line-of-sight cones that creatures use.

I just spent 3.5 loving hours rewriting the smooth vision calculator. I was literally growling and making really strange noises after about the second hour. Such a loving frustrating experience, but it's done and working properly now.

I really feel like I got nothing done; getting to the end of the night (its almost 1am) and having only fixed a tiny graphical glitch, but under-the-hood it's totally different and better now. Probably faster, too.

This is three and a half hours worth of code
code:
TheFinalAngle = AngleBetween#(StartXPixel, StartYPixel, LookXPixel, LookYPixel, FALSE) + 180 ' Where will we end up facing?
TheFinalAngle = TheFinalAngle MOD 360 ' just make sure it's actually a 360 degree number

AngleDifference = ProtoChildren(ThisEntity).LastLOSA - TheFinalAngle ' How many degrees we need to move, signed
AngleDifference = AngleDifference MOD 360 ' keep it in a circle

IF NOT TheFinalAngle = ProtoChildren(ThisEntity).LastLOSA THEN ' if we're not already facing the intended direction
    IF AngleDifference <= 0 THEN AngleDifference = 360 - ABS(AngleDifference) ' make sure the difference is a real location on a protractor.
    IF AngleDifference > 180 THEN ' should we turn clockwise?
        AngleDifferenceDegrees = ABS(AngleDifference - 360)
        Modifier = 1
    ELSE ' or instead, counterclockwise?
        AngleDifferenceDegrees = ABS(AngleDifference)
        Modifier = -1
    END IF
    NewAngle = INT(ProtoChildren(ThisEntity).LastLOSA + ((AngleDifferenceDegrees / 10) * Modifier)) ' Create the new, intermediate angle to point at
    IF NewAngle < 0 THEN NewAngle = 360 - ABS(NewAngle) ' oh, and make sure it's actually possible to point there.
ELSE
    NewAngle = TheFinalAngle ' otherwise, just keep pointing where you were already pointing
END IF
TheAngle = NewAngle
ProtoChildren(ThisEntity).LastLOSA = TheAngle
I'm bad at code stuff. I just wanted to come home, fix this glitch and play Hotline Miami. Didn't expect to waste so much time, but I guess it wasn't gonna get done any other way.

edit: In fact, even though it's not a huge improvement over the last one, I'm still gonna post a video showing my new smoothed and improved vision cones because I'm proud of them
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkZ_GAF7Dbs

Mug fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Oct 24, 2012

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Mug posted:

edit: In fact, even though it's not a huge improvement over the last one, I'm still gonna post a video showing my new smoothed and improved vision cones because I'm proud of them
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkZ_GAF7Dbs
For whatever it's worth, I can tell the difference, and this looks much better. Your old view cones always looked somehow out of sync with the character position. I'd just assumed it was some artifact of your grid based world.

EDIT: Also, shazam! A new Jones environment type.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Oct 24, 2012

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Shalinor posted:

For whatever it's worth, I can tell the difference, and this looks much better. Your old view cones always looked somehow out of sync with the character position. I'd just assumed it was some artifact of your grid based world.

It really does look better. Although I'm not sure if that's a result of the fix you did or just the smoother movement from the earlier change you mentioned.

One question: will the view cones be visible in the finished game, or are they just like that for testing purposes?

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

Haha, wow, six hundred entries for IGF this year? Glad I'm still able to get in on the student showcase... :arghfist::smith:

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It really does look better. Although I'm not sure if that's a result of the fix you did or just the smoother movement from the earlier change you mentioned.

One question: will the view cones be visible in the finished game, or are they just like that for testing purposes?

They will be visible but they will look a bit different. More faint over distance instead of a statically coloured cone.

HelixFox
Dec 20, 2004

Heed the words of this ancient spirit.
Man, designing a website is hard. I literally only want a basic html page with some kind of logo and a blurb and some screenshots of the game's current state, but I can't settle on any kind of design that I'm happy with. Doesn't help that I know nothing about website design or graphic design or even logo design as I don't actually have one yet.

Does anyone have any favourite examples of simple pages for games? I quite like the Blendo Games ones (e.g. Atom Zombie Smasher)

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
I just use wordpress and would just use a single "Page" on that for a game.

edit: I'm a web developer by day, but I can not be loving TOUCHING any markup or PHP when I get home from work; just wanna make games.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

HelixFox posted:

Does anyone have any favourite examples of simple pages for games? I quite like the Blendo Games ones (e.g. Atom Zombie Smasher)

That page isn't that simple. I mean, it looks simple, but it's got a fair bit going on in the background. The CSS is several pages long and someone probably spent the better part of a day tweaking pixel sizes to get it where they wanted it. It's also using a bunch of javascript user tracking type stuff. Plus, someone had to make the images.

What you could try doing is googling "html templates" or "css templates" and find something you like. Download it, drop in your text and images, and then upload it to the web server. If all you want is some text and images and maybe a youtube embed, it'll be fairly painless.

If you want forums or feedback or a store or any sort of dynamic element.. well, that's a lot more complicated. People make careers out of that.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Mug posted:

I just use wordpress and would just use a single "Page" on that for a game.
This. Install WordPress, go to theme garden, buy a nice looking theme for under $30, install it, done.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Fast question for those using Futile in Unity -- what did you do to make a scrollable camera? After futzing around with FollowCamera I realized there was some kind of interaction between points and pixels in-game that was causing the screen to not snap to the room bounds like I wanted.

Now I'm manually cooking up a camera by taking a FContainer and moving it around whenever the player moves, but this seems...clunky? Also it appears that FContainers use a different coordinate system than FSprites.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

RoboCicero posted:

Fast question for those using Futile in Unity -- what did you do to make a scrollable camera? After futzing around with FollowCamera I realized there was some kind of interaction between points and pixels in-game that was causing the screen to not snap to the room bounds like I wanted.

Now I'm manually cooking up a camera by taking a FContainer and moving it around whenever the player moves, but this seems...clunky? Also it appears that FContainers use a different coordinate system than FSprites.
I just set the follow to be my main character and it behaves how I would expect. There is also an option to use the follow node's scale which you could try toggling.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
I was working on a arena-shooter camera and trying to get the camera to follow the player, but only if the player entered a buffer zone near the edges, as well as having the camera respect an overall level boundary -- I ultimately figured something out, but it probably serves me right for trying to hack something to do something it wasn't built to.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Can you go into any detail on what you're making, here? It looks pretty fun and unique. From what I can gather, you're in an office. There are some monsters that can break stuff and kill things, entities have AI and fix things. It's really cool.

Like do you have any gameplay ideas, or are they all a secret still?

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Can you go into any detail on what you're making, here? It looks pretty fun and unique. From what I can gather, you're in an office. There are some monsters that can break stuff and kill things, entities have AI and fix things. It's really cool.

Like do you have any gameplay ideas, or are they all a secret still?

I'll announce a "game" in a couple of months and give everyone a good idea what I'm actually making here. At the moment it's just all a tech-demo.

HelixFox
Dec 20, 2004

Heed the words of this ancient spirit.

xzzy posted:

That page isn't that simple. I mean, it looks simple, but it's got a fair bit going on in the background. The CSS is several pages long and someone probably spent the better part of a day tweaking pixel sizes to get it where they wanted it. It's also using a bunch of javascript user tracking type stuff. Plus, someone had to make the images.

I think this is the problem - it's simple in function (which is what I want) but not in execution. I spent half a day yesterday playing around with creating images and positioning them to try and get something nice, but couldn't cobble together anything I was happy with.

I did look up some templates but didn't really like much of them either. They've already got the html licked, though, so I think I might just buy one and them customise it a bit.

Ta, everyone.

Suran37
Feb 28, 2009
How well does Unity do with 2D Isometric games? I've been walking through some basic tutorials and so far I'm liking the Unity engine. I'll probably take a crack at some easier projects first, but I would eventually like to make a 2D isometric game of some sort.

Lord Humongus
Apr 10, 2009

ice ice baby :toot:
Another room finished, I need another set of opinions.

Here it is, I need to know if this camera angle and tiles on the open side looks awkward:

also a second close camera shot with uneven tile spacing. And fog.

all the textures are just temps.

Lord Humongus fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Oct 25, 2012

Mr. Podunkian
Feb 28, 2005

welcome to murder city, i'm the mayor

Suran37 posted:

How well does Unity do with 2D Isometric games? I've been walking through some basic tutorials and so far I'm liking the Unity engine. I'll probably take a crack at some easier projects first, but I would eventually like to make a 2D isometric game of some sort.

It's sprite support is really, really, really poor and spotty, unless you use a 2D library (there are a couple free ones, but the pay ones are much, much better), but isometric projection comes out of the box.

ambushsabre
Sep 1, 2009

It's...it's not shutting down!

Mr. Podunkian posted:

It's sprite support is really, really, really poor and spotty, unless you use a 2D library (there are a couple free ones, but the pay ones are much, much better), but isometric projection comes out of the box.

That reminds me, what are you using for your new platformer and what's it like?
vvvvvvvvvv also yeah futile is just incredible

ambushsabre fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Oct 25, 2012

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Mr. Podunkian posted:

Futile for Unity is free and amazing and is all you need to build an isometric game in code. We're building a sweet 3/4 top-down perspective adventure game with it.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lord Humongus posted:

Here it is, I need to know if this camera angle and tiles on the open side looks awkward:

The tiles on the open side look a little weird. The room floating in space also looks a bit weird - it can work in games but the issue is that it makes it more obvious that the game is an abstraction*, which can draw the player out of the setting. It's not a big deal in some genres because immersion isn't important, but for horror it can be a mood killer. I have to say the lighting level is a lot better though.

One thing that you might try is a camera angle from the corner of the room - it gives you a nice wide view of the area without having to artificially cut away walls like in the first image, while also serving as an unusual looking angle to create a disorienting feeling which helps the horror aspect.

*(unless the setting literally has the player in a room floating in an endless void, in which case I'd guess you'd want to highlight that fact)

Mr. Podunkian
Feb 28, 2005

welcome to murder city, i'm the mayor

ambushsabre posted:

That reminds me, what are you using for your new platformer and what's it like?

I'm using 2D Toolkit, which, from my experience, is one of the best 2D libraries out there, and at a relatively affordable price.

It has a really nice in-editor UI for setting up the parameters of your sprites (i.e. its anchor, sprite padding, etc.), but it also has a really cool system for creating custom meshes, which can be used both for the actual mesh being rendered (really useful on mobile platforms, where alpha stuff will cause overdraw and be really costly), and for generating colliders (useful if you want your sprites to have non-box based colliders).

It's got a lower learning curve than most other sprite based systems, but it did take a few hours before it 'clicked'.

As for physics and stuff, I use the built in collision stuff, but I'm simulating the "physics" myself as opposed to using a character controller (I can't stand the stupid rounded caps on the top and bottom), or running any built in physics simulation. It's definitely been a struggle, and if it weren't for needing to have slopes in my game, and 2D Toolkit's tile editor being so nice for a "beta" feature (it's able to cull any covered faces when it generates its colliders, even if you used a non-box collision mesh), I would've rolled my own super simple box collision system. I think I'm at a place now, though, that the game feels as responsive as you'd expect a twitch 2D platformer to feel.

eeenmachine posted:

Futile for Unity is free and amazing and is all you need to build an isometric game in code. We're building a sweet 3/4 top-down perspective adventure game with it.

Futile's definitely a good option too, but it's definitely a more code-based approach to things, for better or worse.

ambushsabre
Sep 1, 2009

It's...it's not shutting down!

Mr. Podunkian posted:

I'm using 2D Toolkit, which, from my experience, is one of the best 2D libraries out there, and at a relatively affordable price.

It has a really nice in-editor UI for setting up the parameters of your sprites (i.e. its anchor, sprite padding, etc.), but it also has a really cool system for creating custom meshes, which can be used both for the actual mesh being rendered (really useful on mobile platforms, where alpha stuff will cause overdraw and be really costly), and for generating colliders (useful if you want your sprites to have non-box based colliders).

It's got a lower learning curve than most other sprite based systems, but it did take a few hours before it 'clicked'.

As for physics and stuff, I use the built in collision stuff, but I'm simulating the "physics" myself as opposed to using a character controller (I can't stand the stupid rounded caps on the top and bottom), or running any built in physics simulation. It's definitely been a struggle, and if it weren't for needing to have slopes in my game, and 2D Toolkit's tile editor being so nice for a "beta" feature (it's able to cull any covered faces when it generates its colliders, even if you used a non-box collision mesh), I would've rolled my own super simple box collision system. I think I'm at a place now, though, that the game feels as responsive as you'd expect a twitch 2D platformer to feel.

Futile's definitely a good option too, but it's definitely a more code-based approach to things, for better or worse.

Yeah I Was asking because I've used 2d toolkit before, but it didn't click at all for me. Futile obviously did though since I was able to pump out an ios game in a few weeks with it, and the basic gameplay was done in a matter of days.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

ambushsabre posted:

Yeah I Was asking because I've used 2d toolkit before, but it didn't click at all for me. Futile obviously did though since I was able to pump out an ios game in a few weeks with it, and the basic gameplay was done in a matter of days.
How's that doing for you guys, by the way?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Lord Humongus posted:

At first, I thought the lighting was too strong, but nah, it's fine; I think it's that the light effect is too strong if you wanna invoke a lo-res poly feeling. All your other shapes seem about right on the money, and will be even better if your textures for the blank-faced objects are lo-res as well.

Of all the things to look too "modern"--sharp or realistic--it's how your game is rendering your light's shape and source/reflection, haha. Not so much in the second shot: the blurry rings look very 1999, but your first shot? That's like some Resident Evil 5 poo poo man.

Lord Humongus
Apr 10, 2009

ice ice baby :toot:

The Cheshire Cat posted:

One thing that you might try is a camera angle from the corner of the room - it gives you a nice wide view of the area without having to artificially cut away .

Do either of these look better?

Here's one from the top of the room where it'll start colliding with a roof.

Here's one lower. Gunna put a roof in.

They'll change angles for each side etc.

The White Dragon posted:

At first, I thought the lighting was too strong, but nah, it's fine; I think it's that the light effect is too strong if you wanna invoke a lo-res poly feeling. All your other shapes seem about right on the money, and will be even better if your textures for the blank-faced objects are lo-res as well.

Of all the things to look too "modern"--sharp or realistic--it's how your game is rendering your light's shape and source/reflection, haha. Not so much in the second shot: the blurry rings look very 1999, but your first shot? That's like some Resident Evil 5 poo poo man.

I'm using default unity lights and not anything fancy. The first shot has fog in it. Does it look the same as the one in the other post? I could use fog through the whole game for that effect.

Lord Humongus fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Oct 25, 2012

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Lord Humongus posted:

I'm using default unity lights and not anything fancy. The first shot has fog in it. Does it look the same as the one in the other post? I could use fog through the whole game for that effect.
Yeah, the light in that shot looks a lot better just because of the diffusion. Could you just apply that filter to how the light hits the ground, or does it have to be on top of everything?

jusion
Jan 24, 2007

Not sure if this goes here, but for anyone who didn't see, GitHub is having a game jam / contest.

https://github.com/blog/1303-github-game-off

Prizes are pretty lame, but hey, game jam.

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me

Shalinor posted:

How's that doing for you guys, by the way?

It did nothing in terms of sales, the reviews have been pretty dang positive, and the playerbase we do have is absolutely amazing. All in all, for it being our first iOS game, we're happy with it.

I mean, I -and we- have made flash games that made far more money than Irrupt has, but as far as feedback and player enjoyment goes this has been my favorite game to make, easily. I've seen reviews that read like poetry, one guy spent an evening recording himself playing 40+ runs just to show off beating his own high score on cam, people tweet screenshots of their leaderboard spots at us, all sorts of crazy poo poo.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

jusion posted:

Not sure if this goes here, but for anyone who didn't see, GitHub is having a game jam / contest.

I was thinking of doing gently caress This Jam myself.

Gary the Llama
Mar 16, 2007

HelixFox posted:

The site for Offspring Fling is a pretty good basic site.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

BizarroAzrael posted:

gently caress this Jam sounds great, but I like so many different kinds of games I think if I participated I'd be limited to... sports games? And maybe racing- well, no, I like Burnout and mario kart... Uh... farmville-knockoffs?

It's hard to do a genre you hate when you love almost everything. v:shobon:v

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Welp. I'm tossing the level I made, I got the game sort of in a playable state, had a couple people try it. They got confused and died a lot. Guess I'm going to have to ramp up the difficulty really gradually. It's not a complete waste, the spike traps and difficult pieces I made in the level, I can just remake or use elsewhere. The ideas are there...just not good for a first level I guess.

Afal
Sep 4, 2012

"Tubular! Catch you on the flip side!"

jusion posted:

Awesome. I need to learn more about how to use <canvas> anyway so I guess this will help!

BizarroAzrael posted:

Oh wow this is glorious. Tempted to try this one as well. I can't think of specific genres I hate, but there are certain games I don't really like.

Oh gosh I hope I get enough spare time next month to do stuff :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClownSyndrome
Sep 2, 2011

Do you think love can bloom on bob-omb Battlefield?
My Halloween game nears completion, but need to finish it up though if I want to get it released this side of Halloween though...

Hoping to release tomorrow evening, so it's super crunch time as soon as I get back from work tonight