Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Factory Factory posted:

I'm pretty sure that all current X79 motherboards will be IVB-E capable. I don't expect prices to budge hugely on current LGA2011 i7s, nor would I expect IVB-E to really be that much faster, no more than IVB is faster than SNB. What are you doing that you're considering an LGA2011 setup, anyway?

But regarding Haswell not being able to hold a candle... Remember how when the i7-2600K came out, it matched or beat the i7-980X in a majority of benchmarks? That hasn't stopped being a thing that can happen.

Uh, not doing much, just developing, testing and simulating things. I run usually from 2-5 VMs at a time, and databases, IDEs , application servers and other crap. Oh and some games and video encoding from time to time. Do I need a 2011? Hell no. Do I want it? Of course.

I am not particularly fond with IB and Haswell trying to push so many things onto the chip. While it does help reduce power consumption, this is not my main concern with a PC, since I mainly use desktop(s) computers. I rarely touch a laptop, and when i do, the power of the device is irrelevant for the task. I prefer to have a CPU that is focused on doing whatever is doing as fast as possible, leaving other things (such as graphics) to the dedicated boards/devices.

You are certainly right about the 980X story. I guess time will tell. Quad channel memory sounds appealing though .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Sure, but quad-channel memory actually has really limited and/or situational real-world performance benefits.

The loads of VMs and such are a solid reason for LGA 2011, especially if it's business-type stuff. It's just that most often, SA posters asking after it either 1) are looking to buy into the platform without a solid reason like that, spending needlessly, or 2) would legitimately be better served by a workstation-grade setup.

Dradien
Jun 24, 2005
Ask me about shrimp.
So I finally jumped ship from AMD to Intel. I currently have a Phenom II 720 running at 3.4 Ghz with 4 cores active, at 1.52 volts:(. I was going to get a Bulldozer/Piledriver and call it a day due to my thinking that since I have such a nice motherboard, switching to a completely different system would be wasting money. Sunken cost fallacy almost got me there.

Anywho, went from a 720 to a I5 3750K and a Asus P8Z77-V LK. The advantage Intel holds over AMD is just too much to ignore, even for a hardcore fanboy like myself.

Useless rambling aside, glad to be using Intel, now 6950 can actually be put to use.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Still rolling on my old Yorkfield and other hardware just as old, but just got my complimentary IVB i7-3770k from work. Pairing this up with a DZ77RE-75K and 240gb 520 SSD.

:getin:
Just built mine last night, upgrading from my old Merom :corsair:

rhag posted:

I rarely touch a laptop, and when i do, the power of the device is irrelevant for the task. I prefer to have a CPU that is focused on doing whatever is doing as fast as possible, leaving other things (such as graphics) to the dedicated boards/devices.
With turbo boost, preferring to have the CPU doing whatever it is doing as fast as possible is a power management feature.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

JawnV6 posted:

Just built mine last night, upgrading from my old Merom :corsair:

Just ordered it all over lunch just now. I have no Thunderbolt devices but spent the extra $30 for the DZ77RE-75K over the DZ77GA-70K "just because."

What's funny is the BXRTS2011LC liquid cooling thing is cheaper on Amazon/Newegg than EPP :laugh:

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Mang no, don't get no closed-loop liquid cooling. Heatpipe air towers are where it's at, dog.

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

I don't know about you guys, but I'm hanging on to my Core 2 Duo system until Haswell arrives. PUSH IT TO THE LIMIT :yayclod:

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

COCKMOUTH.GIF posted:

I don't know about you guys, but I'm hanging on to my Core 2 Duo system until Haswell arrives. PUSH IT TO THE LIMIT :yayclod:
Overclocked C2Q9550, but yeah. I'm looking forward to a modern system.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Still rolling on my old Yorkfield and other hardware just as old, but just got my complimentary IVB i7-3770k from work. Pairing this up with a DZ77RE-75K and 240gb 520 SSD.

:getin:

Making me jealous. The CLP on my site only has SNB chips, with nary an i7 in sight :smith:

Mad_Lion
Jul 14, 2005

COCKMOUTH.GIF posted:

I'm on a Core2Quad Q6600 overclocked to 333mhz bus (3ghz). 8 GB of 1000mhz DDR2 Ram. Radeon 5850 overclocked to 850/1200 (5870 clocks). This system still plays all the games I care about at 1080p medium to high settings, mostly high. I don't even game that much anymore, though. I haven't found a good reason to upgrade in years. Last thing I bought was a 120 GB SSD.

Zoom Shroom
Nov 19, 2007

by Lowtax
Can anyone help me find an Intel i5-3475S please? I'm having considerable trouble trying to find somewhere to buy one, HP seem to have the monopoly at the moment for some reason. The 3470S is relatively easy to find but I just gotta have that sweet sweet HD 4000 nectar.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Zoom Shroom posted:

Can anyone help me find an Intel i5-3475S please? I'm having considerable trouble trying to find somewhere to buy one, HP seem to have the monopoly at the moment for some reason. The 3470S is relatively easy to find but I just gotta have that sweet sweet HD 4000 nectar.
Good luck, the binned low-power processors like that have pretty much the entire volume reserved for OEMs. They're not officially OEM only, but if HP is willing to buy all the ones they'll make...I would consider the 3570K as a replacement, since the normal TDP is 77W instead of 95W that's much more reasonable.

Zoom Shroom
Nov 19, 2007

by Lowtax

Alereon posted:

Good luck, the binned low-power processors like that have pretty much the entire volume reserved for OEMs. They're not officially OEM only, but if HP is willing to buy all the ones they'll make...I would consider the 3570K as a replacement, since the normal TDP is 77W instead of 95W that's much more reasonable.
Ah well I have to keep it at 65W or under you see.

I found one but it costs $330 including shipping, tax, handling, CC surcharge etc. I want that HD4000 but I don't $100-extra-want it. :negative:

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Zoom Shroom posted:

I found one but it costs $330 including shipping, tax, handling, CC surcharge etc. I want that HD4000 but I don't $100-extra-want it. :negative:

Why does it have to be at 65W or under? Could you get a 3570k and underclock/volt it to meet your needs?

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

Zoom Shroom posted:

Unfortunately the closest you're going to get to something Ivy Bridge with a TDP of 65W is going to be the i3-3225 (dual-core + hyperthreading) at about $130 or the i7-3770S (quad+HT), at about $305.

Zoom Shroom
Nov 19, 2007

by Lowtax
I'm in Australia so it's $350 for an i7 3770S for me. They've got the i5 3475S advertised for $249 but they quoted me $295. If they can do $249 I'm sold. If not, I'll just have to live with an i5 3470S.

It's for a mini server running headless Debian but I'm just thinking about if I want to repurpose it later on, or sell it. The ITX board has a PCIe slot but the case has no room for a GPU and the PSU would be overloaded.

unpronounceable posted:

Why does it have to be at 65W or under? Could you get a 3570k and underclock/volt it to meet your needs?
If it's possible to undervolt it from 77W to 65W I'd love to know.

Zoom Shroom fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Nov 2, 2012

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Zoom Shroom posted:

I'm in Australia so it's $350 for an i7 3770S for me. They've got the i5 3475S advertised for $249 but they quoted me $295. If they can do $249 I'm sold. If not, I'll just have to live with an i5 3470S.

It's for a mini server running headless Debian but I'm just thinking about if I want to repurpose it later on, or sell it. The ITX board has a PCIe slot but the case has no room for a GPU and the PSU would be overloaded.

If it's possible to undervolt it from 77W to 65W I'd love to know.

The TDP numbers are maximums and it's unlikely you'll ever hit them in practice. If you want to cut power/heat then a simple way would be to simply disable turbo boost.

It's doubtful you'll ever find a buyer who will want to pay you a premium for an 'S' when you try and sell down the line. What do you mean by PSU overloaded anyway? How close are you trying to cut it?

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

rhag posted:

I am not particularly fond with IB and Haswell trying to push so many things onto the chip. While it does help reduce power consumption, this is not my main concern with a PC, since I mainly use desktop(s) computers. I rarely touch a laptop, and when i do, the power of the device is irrelevant for the task. I prefer to have a CPU that is focused on doing whatever is doing as fast as possible, leaving other things (such as graphics) to the dedicated boards/devices.

Have you ever considered it's possibly faster to incorporate those things on one chip and your concerns are really outmoded?

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

ohgodwhat posted:

Have you ever considered it's possibly faster to incorporate those things on one chip and your concerns are really outmoded?

That and it's more power-efficient and leaves less for motherboard vendors to gently caress with. Intel has the most advanced foundries in the business, and will almost certainly make better hardware than whatever discount chipmaker the vendor went with to shave a few pennies off the price.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ohgodwhat posted:

The biggest issue these days really is memory bandwidth and moving everything as close as possible helps a lot.

Zoom Shroom
Nov 19, 2007

by Lowtax
ended up getting the 3770S, thanks for the suggestion, gotta go super fast with only 65 watts :pseudo:

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
If you guys are looking for an i5 2500k and have a Microcenter near you, better act quickly:

http://slickdeals.net/f/5512894-Intel-Core-i5-2500K-3-3GHz-LGA-1155-Boxed-Processor-100-Free-In-Store-Pick-Up

I was actually tempted to pick one up but decided against it.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Shmoogy posted:

If you guys are looking for an i5 2500k and have a Microcenter near you, better act quickly:

http://slickdeals.net/f/5512894-Intel-Core-i5-2500K-3-3GHz-LGA-1155-Boxed-Processor-100-Free-In-Store-Pick-Up

I was actually tempted to pick one up but decided against it.

Oh man, that's nice, paging Bob Morales :siren:

I used to work near the Microcenter in MI, but now I'd have to travel pretty far out of the way to get it. Guess MC is dumping some old stock or something.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

SemiAccurate article on Xeon Phi (you guys remember Larrabee right?!)
http://semiaccurate.com/2012/11/13/what-will-intel-xeon-phi-do-to-the-gpgpu-market/

It's Charlie, so take it with a grain of salt, but he's hyping the gently caress out of it.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
I blathered about the Xeon Phi in the GPU thread. I'm waiting for some real benchmarks before I pass judgment between it and GPGPU, though.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Factory Factory posted:

I'm waiting for some real benchmarks before I pass judgment between it and GPGPU, though.

They let people do some hands on tests with it and from the sound of it, the "It Just Works" stuff is mostly true.

I'd assume the performance comparisons rely hugely on how well code is written to run on a GPGPU.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Intel just acquired ZiiLabs and licensed media chip tech from Creative. ZiiLab does tablet SoCs pairing ARM CPUs with custom parallel compute clusters programmed for graphics or video encode/decode on the fly. At the same time, though, Intel CEO Paul Otellini is going to retire next year, no successor yet named.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power

COCKMOUTH.GIF posted:

This is the exact situation I'm in now. Sup core2 duo buddy :shobon:. I've read this thread and others, but the most I've gleaned seems to be "Haswell will be more energy efficient, probably about 10% faster and a bunch of poo poo that doesnt matter with today's video games."

I also posted in the system builder thread, but I'm curious what you guys think for gaming purposes: Get an i5 ivy now, or hold out for a haswell later? Either way I'll need a new motherboard, and my core2 seems to be holding up ok for most games; but it's starting to show it's age with newer stuff like guild wars.

Money's a bit tight, so I figure I can do some small upgrades now (SSD drive that I'll continue to use on new system) if I go that route.

Meow Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Nov 21, 2012

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Meow Tse-tung posted:

This is the exact situation I'm in now. Sup core2 duo buddy :shobon:. I've read this thread and others, but the most I've gleaned seems to be "Haswell will be more energy efficient, probably about 10% faster and a bunch of poo poo that doesnt matter with today's video games."

I also posted in the system builder thread, but I'm curious what you guys think for gaming purposes: Get an i5 ivy now, or hold out for a haswell later? Either way I'll need a new motherboard, and my core2 seems to be holding up ok for most games; but it's starting to show it's age with newer stuff like guild wars.

Money's a bit tight, so I figure I can do some small upgrades now (SSD drive that I'll continue to use on new system) if I go that route.

I don't think there are any cpu bound games either now, or probably within the next few years.

I ended up getting the i3750k and building a desktop. Just got a chance to try editing some photos, and holy poo poo it's so much faster than my i2500k macbook air. Like, I knew it would be much more powerful, but god drat.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
I'd say that if you have a 45nm Core 2 and can overclock it, just do that and wait for Haswell. Bumping the FSB speed to the next level (if your board supports it) is easy and really improves performance. I have a 45nm Core 2 Quad 9550 I'm running at 3.6Ghz and it still holds up quite well (performing roughly on par with a stock Core i5 2500K), though the ridiculous 12MB of L2 cache helps. If you have an older 65nm Core 2, then you should probably just get an i5 3570K.

I strongly disagree about the prevalence of CPU-bound games and their future. You're probably not going to be CPU-bound on an i5 2000-series or better, but with the death of the old consoles that held games back and the rise of ultra-fast videocards and DX11 games that may not remain true. It's also important to remember that not being CPU-limited is a luxury limited to modern Intel CPUs: Even the fastest AMD CPUs seriously bottleneck CPU-sensitive games, chopping framerates in half during intense sequences.

Bonus note: I think the shift away from looking at average framerates to considering the actual gameplay experience led to a major change in understanding of how CPU-sensitive games are. The truth is nobody cares about the average framerate, they care how much of the time the framerate will be lovely. Your CPU is a big factor in that, as those TechReport benchmarks show. The AMD FX-8350 spends nearly ten times as long below 60fps as the Intel Core i5 3570K. My point isn't to diss AMD here, but to illustrate the importance of a strong CPU.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Nov 22, 2012

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Alereon posted:

I'd say that if you have a 45nm Core 2 and can overclock it, just do that and wait for Haswell. Bumping the FSB speed to the next level (if your board supports it) is easy and really improves performance. I have a 45nm Core 2 Quad 9550 I'm running at 3.6Ghz and it still holds up quite well (performing roughly on par with a stock Core i5 2500K), though the ridiculous 12MB of L2 cache helps. If you have an older 65nm Core 2, then you should probably just get an i5 3570K.

I strongly disagree about the prevalence of CPU-bound games and their future. You're probably not going to be CPU-bound on an i5 2000-series or better, but with the death of the old consoles that held games back and the rise of ultra-fast videocards and DX11 games that may not remain true. It's also important to remember that not being CPU-limited is a luxury limited to modern Intel CPUs: Even the fastest AMD CPUs seriously bottleneck CPU-sensitive games, chopping framerates in half during intense sequences.
I'd argue that it's only a matter of time until we start seeing more outlier games looking for fast i5 or higher CPU's, and offering significantly-reduced performance with older dual and quad-cores (even overclocked). The Witcher II and Mechwarrior Online are two recent titles which practically require fast, modern CPU's for decent performance (with MWO needing a fast Intel quad-core CPU for even low-end performance settings - although it's still "technically" in beta). If modern games aren't a priority you could probably sit on an overclocked C2Q awhile longer, but C2D CPU's are going to become less useful as time goes on, other than duties in basic office PC's. If you're concerned with gaming and you're still sitting on an E-series C2D or an AMD K10, now would be a decent time to look at an Ivy Bridge CPU... especially if you're lucky enough to have a Microcenter nearby.

future ghost fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Nov 22, 2012

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Another example of Intel's complete inability to QA anything: TechReport discovered that the new Next Unit of Computing (NUC) boxes do not work due to a thermal issue. The WiFi card and SSD are sandwiched next to eachother, and if you use the wireless connection it causes the SSD to overheat and hang. Intel's proposed fix is a BIOS update that will jack up the fan speed to 100% to allow the system to operate. The amusing thing to me is that Intel freely admitted that they didn't test the shipping configuration after they changed the default SSD. Turns out using a decent SSD was the thermal straw that broke the camel's back.

P-Funk
Jan 7, 2001

Shmoogy posted:

I don't think there are any cpu bound games either now, or probably within the next few years.
I thought I was going to make it last a bit longer but I just upgraded from an overclocked C2D because PlanetSide 2 and Natural Selection 2 were CPU bound (costing me killz).

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS

P-Funk posted:

I thought I was going to make it last a bit longer but I just upgraded from an overclocked C2D because PlanetSide 2 and Natural Selection 2 were CPU bound (costing me killz).

The very reason I opened this thread!

I don't think I can wait 2+ months for Haswell. Going to get an ivy bridge now and hope that I don't get embarassed by Haswell performance, but it doesn't look like it will be much faster.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

P-Funk posted:

Yeah, I upgraded at the end of 2010 because my C2D couldn't keep up with some of the games coming out then. It was an O.G. E6600; if I had a Q6600 or something, I probably could have kept chugging along until now.

Haswell should be a huge jump in the mobile space, but I wouldn't feel too bad about it on the desktop.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Do we have any idea what to expect with regards to what kind of socket we'll see in Haswell and its follow up? Right now I'm on a q6600 and I'd jump on an IB except I'd lack the ability to later on do a CPU upgrade without getting a new motherboard at the same time.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Haswell and Broadwell will use a new socket, LGA 1150. The new socketing is due to moving some power delivery components on-chip. Skylake will likely use yet another socket, what with a shift to DDR4 SDRAM.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

Factory Factory posted:

Haswell and Broadwell will use a new socket, LGA 1150. The new socketing is due to moving some power delivery components on-chip. Skylake will likely use yet another socket, what with a shift to DDR4 SDRAM.

That's good to know. If Skylake will be moving to DDR4 I'd feel less ok about holding on to a haswell until the next tock. I think I'll just grab an IB and jump onto Skylake when it hits in that case.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Does is the QXXX even bottle-necked?

I'm personally hoping to hold onto Ivy Bridge build until Skylake, minus a new SSD Drive or Video Card upgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

Wouldn't Skylake fall under Intel's "tick" timeframe? Isn't it better to choose Haswell as that would fall under "tock"? Is Intel just talking out of its giant rear end when it uses this tick/tock poo poo?