Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Well it's definitely the cheapest. It's also got better OOC JPEGs than the cheap Panny GFs and stabilization that'll work with adapted lenses.
I've had luck with the Fotodiox adapters, I've got them for M42 and Adaptall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty
Fun Shoe
I was going to suggest the EPM1 since they're megatiny but holy crap the EPL1 is cheap.

wheres my beer fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Oct 24, 2012

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."

Digital Jesus posted:

An AWESOME problem. How do you feel about the RX100?

I'm still getting a handle on how to get the results I want from it. I moved from a D-Lux 5/LX5 and the RAW files from the RX100 take a bit more tweaking to get what I want. The jpegs are usually pretty good without any processing though.

Shmoogy posted:

Whats your favorite-- and why?

The X-Pro 1 is my favorite hands down. Great image quality and a nice size to carry around all the time. I really love the X-100 but I'm going to sell it to put towards some of the new glass coming out for the X mount.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

The more I read, the more things I want :( This is a terrible hobby for someone like me. I want to own everything!

I see there's a NEX-5R and 6 popping up for preorder. Is now a bad time to buy an F3 or 5N? Haven't seen pricing for the new models yet. At the moment I'm looking at either something in the NEX series or the Fuji X100.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
The Nex 5n price is a steal atm, I think that's the best choice - more money for lenses. Unless you really want EVF. The Nex 6 doesn't have touchscreen though so if you want to use manual lenses its a lot better with touch (pick 5n).

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

teraflame posted:

The Nex 5n price is a steal atm, I think that's the best choice - more money for lenses. Unless you really want EVF. The Nex 6 doesn't have touchscreen though so if you want to use manual lenses its a lot better with touch (pick 5n).

You're trying really hard to get me to jump from the MFT ship aren't you :colbert:

i really want focus peaking

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Miso Beno posted:

You're trying really hard to get me to jump from the MFT ship aren't you :colbert:

i really want focus peaking

buy a pentax k-01

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

teraflame posted:

Thanks, I think I will jump on one of these. It looks like I can go from the 5N + 18-55mm to the 5N + 18-55mm + 16mm for like $8 extra, when the lens is like $250-300 by itself. Why would I NOT do this?

Looks like I'd get the whole lot around $650 shipped, which is pretty far below Aussie RRP. I'm about ready to pull the trigger.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
You may want to get the Sigma 19mm instead of the 16 (I hear its quite soft). Larger size though.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Surely it's worth eight dollars.

Options are:

Body only $462
Body + 18-55 $629
Body + 18-55 + 16 $638

Maybe I'll look at body only and adapters... I'm clearly not ready to buy, I have a lot of reading to do!

Digital Jesus fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Oct 25, 2012

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro...

Digital Jesus posted:

Surely it's worth eight dollars.

Absolutely, it's a versatile little lens that is rightly maligned for its' IQ, but still pretty much the only option for keeping the NEX truly pocket-able.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

An X100 firmware update that allows infinity focus lock and improved AF performance, and a new conversion lens (50mm equivalent) are all I want for Christmas. It would be a shame if Fuji ignored the X100 to focus on the interchangeable lens products only.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

Helicity posted:

An X100 firmware update that allows infinity focus lock and improved AF performance, and a new conversion lens (50mm equivalent) are all I want for Christmas. It would be a shame if Fuji ignored the X100 to focus on the interchangeable lens products only.

Also the "Q" menu. The X10 just got it, my wishful theory is that Fuji is working on an X100 update that includes it and and adjusted framelines for a new conversion lens. I don't understand your infinity focus lock wish. I point the camera at the sky and initiate a back button autofocus and a minute focus turn to the left, what are you asking for?

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro...
If the rumors of an impending X200 are to be believed, that's probably where you will see any firmware improvements possibly trickle down to X100 owners. Fujifilm does seem interested in satisfying their customer base, so I wouldn't rule anything out.

Also for X-Pro1/XE-1 peeps, there's new lens firmware out today that improves functionality. I jumped ship (probably too soon, at that) and I already miss much of what I got from the X-Pro 1. I suspect another X System camera will enter my world again at some point, there's too much awesome there for me to stay mad at it forever.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

ThisQuietReverie posted:

Also the "Q" menu. The X10 just got it, my wishful theory is that Fuji is working on an X100 update that includes it and and adjusted framelines for a new conversion lens. I don't understand your infinity focus lock wish. I point the camera at the sky and initiate a back button autofocus and a minute focus turn to the left, what are you asking for?

Most of my photography is severe weather related. It's sometimes a pain trying to focus while a tornado is on the ground, or focus on a distant light source for lightning shots in a pitch black corn field with no distant light sources. Maybe I just don't understand how to focus with it appropriately.

edit: it doesn't help that I really dislike the manual focus on the X100. I wish that were a lot more responsive.

VVVV I did an A/T thread 2 years ago (?), but I made my avatar. It's my picture of the 5/21/11 Ada, OK tornado.

luchadornado fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Oct 25, 2012

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Helicity posted:

Most of my photography is severe weather related. It's sometimes a pain trying to focus while a tornado is on the ground, or focus on a distant light source for lightning shots in a pitch black corn field with no distant light sources. Maybe I just don't understand how to focus with it appropriately.

Did you get your avatar from doing an A/T thread or something?

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

Helicity posted:

edit: it doesn't help that I really dislike the manual focus on the X100. I wish that were a lot more responsive.

VVVV I did an A/T thread 2 years ago (?), but I made my avatar. It's my picture of the 5/21/11 Ada, OK tornado.

Experiment: Take your X100 and a flashlight into a dark closet. Set your X100 to manual focus and use the DISP/Back button to set the LCD to Custom so the distance gauge shows up. Shine the flashlight directly into the lens and try manually focusing to infinity, it should be noticeably faster. Bringing a flashlight with you might make your cornfield adventures more tolerable.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Anybody see the new Nikon V2? It's really, really, really ugly. And not in the Pentax K-01 "this designer known for ugly things designed this" way, but in a "how the hell did this happen" way.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Oh god I just ordered an X100 :woop: :ohdear:

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Cacator posted:

Anybody see the new Nikon V2? It's really, really, really ugly. And not in the Pentax K-01 "this designer known for ugly things designed this" way, but in a "how the hell did this happen" way.

You're getting ugly confused with "freakishly practical".

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Mr. Despair posted:

You're getting ugly confused with "freakishly practical".

An amusing argument. "No guys, look how practical it is!"

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

I'd use one :colbert:

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Looks like an F3 had sex with a coolpix 990.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005
If it does 15fps with continuous phase detect AF like it's supposed to who cares what it looks like.

ghableska
Jul 9, 2008
Is it likely that a GX2 is due for release soon? I was thinking of pulling the trigger for a GX1, but if a successor is coming out I might wait.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

ghableska posted:

Is it likely that a GX2 is due for release soon? I was thinking of pulling the trigger for a GX1, but if a successor is coming out I might wait.

Why not an OMD? Curious because I am considering a OMD.

ghableska
Jul 9, 2008
Tbh it's mainly about the size. The GX family looks small enough to be somewhat "pocketable" with that 20mm prime lens, and I think anything larger than that might make me less likely to just impulsively go out with a camera.

vvvv

That too, though if there is a GX2, that price gap might narrow (especially with an EVF.)

ghableska fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Oct 27, 2012

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Also the GX1 is half the cost of the OM-D.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

ghableska posted:

You could also hold your breath for a E-PM2 which has a OM-D's sensor shoehorned into it.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Hopefully this is my last schizophrenic post for a while. I'm having last second jitters before my X100 order ships.

For an every day, take everywhere camera, with an eye for street photography, is there anything I should look at in that price range? (around 850 AUD). I'll still have my 60D and lens collection for special occasions, etc.

I'm my own worst enemy :(

I keep coming back and looking at the NEX-5N which is $200 cheaper.

Digital Jesus fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Oct 28, 2012

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

That GX1 is hella cheap now, GX2 rumored to be released November.

What do I dooooooo? :ohdear:

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006

Digital Jesus posted:

Hopefully this is my last schizophrenic post for a while. I'm having last second jitters before my X100 order ships.

For an every day, take everywhere camera, with an eye for street photography, is there anything I should look at in that price range? (around 850 AUD). I'll still have my 60D and lens collection for special occasions, etc.

I'm my own worst enemy :(

I keep coming back and looking at the NEX-5N which is $200 cheaper.

I had a Nex-5, then bought an X100, and sold the Nex straight away. The X100 is the closest thing to a perfect camera I have ever used.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

That's all I needed to hear :) thanks!

Looks like mine is shipping this morning and I should have it mid week!

ReptilePicasso
Jul 22, 2010
Mr. Jesus, you won't regret it. The lens attached to that baby is like sex but not really. If you don't count macro mode at f/2, everything is sharp and I never had to sharpen my images or even process them that much.

And the bokeh is pretty creamy IMO. Mmmm cream.

Have fun with random onlookers asking you about how your film camera has a screen too. ;)

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

ReptilePicasso posted:

Mr. Jesus, you won't regret it. The lens attached to that baby is like sex but not really. If you don't count macro mode at f/2, everything is sharp and I never had to sharpen my images or even process them that much.

And the bokeh is pretty creamy IMO. Mmmm cream.

Have fun with random onlookers asking you about how your film camera has a screen too. ;)

You're not supposed to shoot macro at anything less than f4. This along with other things like "you can't use longer exposures than 1/4s when power save mode is on" can be frustrating when you first use the camera. A good read-through of the instructions will make your first experiences even better.

And I think it was Clayton Bigsby that said he didn't really see the point in shooting RAW anymore. I know what he means now - images just come out of the camera almost perfect.

ReptilePicasso
Jul 22, 2010

Helicity posted:

You're not supposed to shoot macro at anything less than f4. This along with other things like "you can't use longer exposures than 1/4s when power save mode is on" can be frustrating when you first use the camera. A good read-through of the instructions will make your first experiences even better.

And I think it was Clayton Bigsby that said he didn't really see the point in shooting RAW anymore. I know what he means now - images just come out of the camera almost perfect.

Yeah basically, because even at f/4 you get sexy images. Also, yeah I think it was him that mentioned it. X100 just produces beautiful images.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Well now it just can't get here soon enough :)

Helicity posted:

Reading the manual and updating the firmware will be the first things I do.

Greyish Orange
Apr 1, 2010

So I went and got the X100, got some stuff to pimp it out too.

X100 by GreyishOrange, on Flickr

It's been daunting getting the hang of more control than a point and shoot, but i'm in love with it.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

Digital Jesus posted:

Well now it just can't get here soon enough :)

Reading the manual and updating the firmware will be the first things I do.

Get two extra batteries too, they're small and cheap and having plenty of batteries around will increase your enjoyment because the gauge is either "full and good to go" or "nearly depleted", there isn't a middle ground. And the charger is odd, a green light means the battery is charging and it is done when the light goes off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Thanks, will do.

Also veering off topic a moment, I love your work :swoon: I created my Flickr account just to stalk you check out your stuff.