Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Yeah I'm using 11.

I don't have filtering on but yeah. The regular sprite looks alright but I think the ironsights just look awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

None of the bonus weapons in Brutal Doom look too hot, and none of them are that powerful. They're cute extras, but I don't think I've ever seriously fallen back on any of them. It's fun to unload a revenant launcher at a swarm of zombies, but it's so weak that it often just knocks them around instead of killing them.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Dominic White posted:

None of the bonus weapons in Brutal Doom look too hot, and none of them are that powerful. They're cute extras, but I don't think I've ever seriously fallen back on any of them. It's fun to unload a revenant launcher at a swarm of zombies, but it's so weak that it often just knocks them around instead of killing them.

Personally, I think the aesthetics for the latest versions of the three "bonus" weapons fit in nicely with the other weapons. I don't really think any of them look out of place.

With as nicely balanced as the core set of Doom weapons is, it's pretty difficult to find roles for additional weapons. The furthest deviation was probably turning the pistol into a rifle (that is actually useful.) That being said, the Mancubus Flame Cannon is fun to use on packs of trash enemies like zombies and imps. Tagging a tight group of them is guaranteed to set at least one or two on fire, which will then stunlock the others with flame damage. Some more will catch on fire, and the pattern carries on. Sure, you could do something similar with a rocket launcher, but a rocket launcher can't lock down a hallway with a wall of flame while you go do something else. And fire is just so goddamn fun.

Really, I've loved the Mancubus cannon ever since it was allowed to set demons on fire. Unlike zombies, demons continue to run around (on fire) and, as a result, can set nearby enemies on fire. At the very minimum, enemies damaged by a burning demon lose their mind and begin attacking the demon--even other demons. Since demons frequently come in bunches, two or three well-placed shots can turn an arena into loving chaos as groups of demons run around, setting everything on fire and making poo poo go nuts.

I also appreciate the Mancubus cannon's indirect arc as a tool in clearing out the "bunker" style areas that a lot of WADs add. Eight commandos up above me, firing at me through cubby holes?

:flame:

The MP40...well, I almost never see it in WADs but, when I do, I find it a lot of fun to use. Like you said, your choice in using it boils down to whether or not you enjoy it, since the chaingun is technically superior in every way.

I really don't like the Revenant launchers, though. Really. They changed the projectile at some point, but the original was terrible. You'd get mauled by a demon before you could kill it with the launchers.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Because Timidity is a pain in the rear end, I just decided to upload a quick Fluidsynth + Soundfont pack for ZDoom. A one-step solution to much nicer sounding MIDI music.

Just unzip, drop into your (G)ZDoom directory, add the line to your INI file that the readme file says, and you can use the Fluidsynth option. The soundfont included is pretty great for most stuff. Far better than FMOD, especially when it comes to anything guitar-based.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax
How are you guys getting bonus weapons in Brutal Doom?

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jefferoo posted:

How are you guys getting bonus weapons in Brutal Doom?
Use a chainsaw on Revenants and Mancubi after killing them.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Stuntman posted:

Use a chainsaw on Revenants and Mancubi after killing them.

You can also get the flame cannon just by gibbing mancubi. Rocket launcher works.

The bonus guns go in slot 8, and aside from the MP40, don't have ammo readouts.

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006
More fun than dryer lint.
So I was busy eating the path when I came across this,which as it turns out is apparently a miniature and semi-incomplete version of the final product. So I want to know if there's a full version online somewhere.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Ijuuin Enzan posted:

So I was busy eating the path when I came across this,which as it turns out is apparently a miniature and semi-incomplete version of the final product. So I want to know if there's a full version online somewhere.

Wow, that is absolutely, unmistakably Arne's art. I'd love to see a higher-resolution version of that, too.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Ijuuin Enzan posted:

Dominic White posted:

Wow, that is absolutely, unmistakably Arne's art. I'd love to see a higher-resolution version of that, too.
Arne's site says it was done for a charity auction Bungie did last year, so I suppose either you'd want to contact Bungie or the winner and hope they're feeling generous.

Arne's site has a bunch of other fun stuff related to this thread, like anime-infused Quake and Tribes.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

The Kins posted:

Arne's site has a bunch of other fun stuff related to this thread, like anime-infused Quake and Tribes.

This guy loves low cut panties apparently.

Anyway this guy on the Duke4.net forums released a test build of his project BLiGHT and it shows some promise. Right now it kinda suffers from most DN3D mods/TC's in that the amount of damage the enemy gives it is hilariously out of whack (I love getting mowed down to 40% health after 3 shots from a pistol at medium range!) but it's got a cool premise and some neat sprite work. Hopefully he tweaks it a bit to make it more playable. It's just one test level and it's rather short, but give it a shot!

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Question: How does one use the idclev cheat to change levels when playing new WADs? For example, if I am playing a WAD with three episodes, such as "ZPack - Random Maps for ZDoom" and I want to go to level 5 in episode 3, what do I type after idclev?

The problem I have right now is that if I type 'idclev 25', assuming that E3M5 is the 25th map, it kicks me to map 25 of Doom 2, not the ZPack. I've also seen--erroneously, I assume--advice saying that you need to type the number of the episode and then the map number, such as 'idclev 35'. But that doesn't work either.

This happens, even if I load one of the ZPack episodes and then try to use the cheat. It insists on loading vanilla Doom 2 maps. Is it even possible to effectively use 'idclev' in WADs like these?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Question: How does one use the idclev cheat to change levels when playing new WADs?

You generally don't. Just pop open the console and type 'Map map##' or 'map e#m#' depending which Doom you're playing. Some mods have their own map-numbering system, and you can see what the name/number is when you start the level - just open the console and it'll say.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Dominic White posted:

You generally don't. Just pop open the console and type 'Map map##' or 'map e#m#' depending which Doom you're playing. Some mods have their own map-numbering system, and you can see what the name/number is when you start the level - just open the console and it'll say.

Oh good to know, I didn't know I could use that. Thank you.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

The problem I have right now is that if I type 'idclev 25', assuming that E3M5 is the 25th map, it kicks me to map 25 of Doom 2, not the ZPack. I've also seen--erroneously, I assume--advice saying that you need to type the number of the episode and then the map number, such as 'idclev 35'. But that doesn't work either.

E3M5 would be idclev35 anyway. Play Ultimate Doom, type idclev25, you will find yourself on Deimos.

The idclev cheat, however, requires maps to follow the standard convention: E#m# in Ultimate Doom; MAP## in Doom II. If they don't (like KDIZD's Z#M#; or ZPack's use of E#M# in Doom II), then they have to have a levelnum explicitly defined in MAPINFO.

If you're curious about available maps, the console command listmaps exist.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Cat Mattress posted:

E3M5 would be idclev35 anyway. Play Ultimate Doom, type idclev25, you will find yourself on Deimos.

The idclev cheat, however, requires maps to follow the standard convention: E#m# in Ultimate Doom; MAP## in Doom II. If they don't (like KDIZD's Z#M#; or ZPack's use of E#M# in Doom II), then they have to have a levelnum explicitly defined in MAPINFO.

If you're curious about available maps, the console command listmaps exist.

The 'map e#m#' trick worked for ZPack. I was testing 'idclev' with episode and level number, but I forgot that there aren't any episodes in Doom 2, so anything above 32 obviously wasn't going to work. That's what made me think it was just a pure level# (no episode) thing, but that's not the case.

Thanks for the help.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
Found a small issue with Brutal Doom. It looks like Shotgun zombies don't react correctly to -- I think either explosions, or getting shot immediately after they awaken.

Yup, they're stuck like that.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

WHOIS John Galt posted:

Found a small issue with Brutal Doom. It looks like Shotgun zombies don't react correctly to -- I think either explosions, or getting shot immediately after they awaken.

Yup, they're stuck like that.

Weird, I've been playing on GZDoom Brutal Doom v0.17test9 and test11 for a while now, and on two separate computers, and I haven't had anything like this happen. I'm been murdering the poo poo out of zombies, too. What version are you playing?

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Weird, I've been playing on GZDoom Brutal Doom v0.17test9 and test11 for a while now, and on two separate computers, and I haven't had anything like this happen. I'm been murdering the poo poo out of zombies, too. What version are you playing?

GZDoom OS X, Mercurial revision 379:05dd318ace7a, which looks like it's at GZDoom r1454.
brutalv017test11.pk3, MD5 8e28aad418a2e89221f0930a2be148e9

Oh I suppose it could also be 10x.wad's fault.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Does anyone have a link for the latest version of Brutal Doom? I can't find one thanks to some French guy going crazy with DCMA notices :argh:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

WHOIS John Galt posted:

Oh I suppose it could also be 10x.wad's fault.

That's possible. Kins had to do some weird voodoo magic to get that working with Brutal Doom last year and it's likely that something breaks now that it went through a few updates.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Convex posted:

Does anyone have a link for the latest version of Brutal Doom? I can't find one thanks to some French guy going crazy with DCMA notices :argh:

All the test builds can be found here. Latest is 017Test11

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Thanks!

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
I love playing these old 2.5D shooters on my laptop, because I don't need a mouse thanks to the auto-aim that adjusts shots vertically. I've just downloaded Brutal Doom, but I can't get this auto-aim to work. I know you are supposed to turn it off because Brutal Doom allows you to make headshots, but I really could give less about them if it means I can confortably play it on my keyboard.

Does anyone have any advise on how to turn the auto-aim back on?

EDIT: Welp, followed the advise from the guy below, auto-aim was already turned on under player options, but still refuses to show up. :(

A Worrying Warlock fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Oct 29, 2012

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Sobatchja Morda posted:

I love playing these old 2.5D shooters on my laptop, because I don't need a mouse thanks to the auto-aim that adjusts shots vertically. I've just downloaded Brutal Doom, but I can't get this auto-aim to work. I know you are supposed to turn it off because Brutal Doom allows you to make headshots, but I really could give less about them if it means I can confortably play it on my keyboard.

Does anyone have any advise on how to turn the auto-aim back on?
Auto-Aim options are changed in Options > Player Setup, unless the authors explicitly disabled autoaim for every object (I haven't checked) which would be kind of a dick move.

Samsara's been updated with some tweaks for Zandronum multiplayer, and some updates to the Chex guy's superweapon. The next update will add Strife support, because clearly the only thing Strife was missing was Duke Nukem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtXWR_dlGsM

The Kins fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Oct 29, 2012

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

The Kins posted:

Auto-Aim options are changed in Options > Player Setup, unless the authors explicitly disabled autoaim for every object (I haven't checked) which would be kind of a dick move.

I'm pretty sure that Brutal Doom has autoaim disabled all round due to the locational damage system.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
You'd have to edit the weapon code and remove all +WEAPON.NOAUTOAIM flags that might be there.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
Well, guess I'll just try it some time on my desktop then, and stick to Aeons of Death on my laptop. :shobon:

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Archviles still scare the everloving gently caress out of me. I'm looking for some maps that feature them. I'm already aware of the maps in Plutonia and Plutonia 2, as well as map13 from Epic2. I'm looking specifically for non-combat oriented archvile death mazes and speed runs, possibly involving many pinky corpses that'll get out of hand if you stick around too long. Man, my chest gets tight just thinking about it. Anyone know of any wads with something like this?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

treat posted:

Archviles still scare the everloving gently caress out of me. I'm looking for some maps that feature them. I'm already aware of the maps in Plutonia and Plutonia 2, as well as map13 from Epic2. I'm looking specifically for non-combat oriented archvile death mazes and speed runs, possibly involving many pinky corpses that'll get out of hand if you stick around too long. Man, my chest gets tight just thinking about it. Anyone know of any wads with something like this?

This reminds me: In "ZPack - Random Maps for ZDoom", there is a map in Episode 3 called "The 13th Hour" which revolves around the novel concept of a clockwork arena. The entire map is broken down into "hour" (re: waves) after hour of enemies. The first wave involves Mancubui, and then the exterior opens up and reveals a perimeter of Arachnotrons, followed by a wave of Cacodemons from outside the arena boundary. This goes on, with walls shifting around, platforms dropping/raising, and doors opening or closing, all of which serve to change the layout of the fights. It goes on with Demons, HKs and Barons, etc.

After five or six rounds, the corpses really start piling up. That's when the map decides to introduce Archviles into the mix--not once, but twice--the second time towards the very end of the map. Very quickly, the ordinarily homogeneous mix of opponents becomes a chaotic hodgepodge of enemies, all from previous rounds. The sheer number of corpses at the Archviles' disposal means that it is absolutely critical that you kill them before the resurrections get out of hand.

It's funny because, by the time the Archviles show up, you're probably too busy trying to restock on health and ammo. This gives them the precious few seconds they need to start reviving some really nasty poo poo. Even when I know they're right around the corner, I find myself reacting only after hearing the telltale noise of a corpse being resurrected.

Very fun stuff.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Archviles are a pretty great piece of design in general. You really don't see enemies like that in shooters anymore - they behave like no other enemy, and they're big threats in two different ways.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I wouldn't hate Archvilles so much if they had less health or didn't do so much loving damage. Jesus I loving hate those bastards. I don't mind the resurrection so much as the fact that they have an attack that will kill you loving dead super fast.
My hate for them is only surpassed by my hate for Revenants. gently caress Revenants.
So of course guess which two enemies are everywhere in Scythe2.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

I have way more trouble dealing with Revenants than Archviles. Archviles attacks are probably the most consistently telegraphed in the entire game. Once you start hearing the crackling sound, just look where the enemy is, and put something solid between you and it. Yeah, it's very powerful but it's very easy to dodge. Revenants and their alternating between rockets and missiles always messes me up. In wider areas, I often dodge the missiles only for them to circle round and hit me on a second or third pass, too.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax
I'll try asking again, can anyone tell me why I'm having this issue with GZDoom for Mac? I get it in Dawn of War: Soulstorm as well.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Dominic White posted:

I have way more trouble dealing with Revenants than Archviles. Archviles attacks are probably the most consistently telegraphed in the entire game. Once you start hearing the crackling sound, just look where the enemy is, and put something solid between you and it. Yeah, it's very powerful but it's very easy to dodge. Revenants and their alternating between rockets and missiles always messes me up. In wider areas, I often dodge the missiles only for them to circle round and hit me on a second or third pass, too.

Don't forget that Revenants will also shoot you in the face even when you're right up next to them hoping they'll try to punch instead. They are astoundingly unpredictable, I find. And they take so much damage! I think that's the connecting thread between the two, for as much damage as they do, and not being boss monsters, they take too much damage.

Edit: vvv You're making GBS threads me. That's ridiculously low for the amount of effort I have to use.

catlord fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Oct 30, 2012

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
:confused:

Revenants only take two rockets. That's less than Hell Knights. They have ridiculous damage output, but they're not hard to kill.

I suppose a Revenant could take three rockets if your first two do the minimum 148, but that's astoundingly unlucky. Point is, Revenants have 300 HP, which is less even than Cacos.

RyokoTK fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Oct 30, 2012

blakyoshi
Feb 17, 2011

RyokoTK posted:

Revenants only take two rockets.

Are you assuming they're all direct hits? It's hard to aim properly and dodge homing rockets at the same time.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Dominic White posted:

Archviles are a pretty great piece of design in general. You really don't see enemies like that in shooters anymore - they behave like no other enemy, and they're big threats in two different ways.

This is what keeps me coming back to Doom 2 time and time again. Enemies like the Archvile, Revenant, Mancubus and Pain Elementals (gently caress those things) require completely different strategies and can really mix up the way you approach a situation.

I miss that kind of variety in modern shooters :(

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

Convex posted:

I miss that kind of variety in modern shooters :(
What do you mean? There's plenty of variety in modern shooters! For example, sometimes there's a guy with a pistol, but other times, there's a guy with a machine gun! And then things get really tricky when you meet a guy with explosives! But watch out, the real crazy stuff happens when you encounter some sort of actually potentially interesting enemy that you only run into once in the entire game in a carefully controlled environment under incredibly specific circumstances!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Convex posted:

Pain Elementals (gently caress those things)

Pain Elementals become an enormous, floating "PUNCH ME FOR HEALTH" sign when you're a Beserker-packin' man-and-a-half. :black101: The fact that their execution animation wouldn't be out of place on a heavy metal cover is also an incentive to shove your fists into their big, goofy faces.

As for Archviles, you can easily best one you catch alone with the help of the Minigun's alt-fire. The sheer amount of rounds that thing spews means that you'll almost always interrupt any attack the Archvile tries to make, even with their teeny-tiny pain chance. Hell, if I were SgtMarkIV, I'd give them some kind of horribly-damaging melee attack (those claws do look pretty nasty) just to make those bastards more threatening.

Revenants will always make me sweat, though. Picking up a key and immediately hearing a wall open up followed by a dozen "rocket-toting-skeleton-has-spotted-your-sorry-rear end" noises never fails to put a chill down my spine.