Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lynx
Nov 4, 2009

Arcaeris posted:

Why? I'd love the Scorpion at X, it's my default pistol for any time I use one. Light, doesn't require great aiming, staggers, and actually does good damage. And it makes Phantoms, Guardians, and even Dragoons your bitch without any extra effort.

Don't mind Zoran, he's just mad that he still doesn't have a Harrier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Lynx posted:

Don't mind Zoran, he's just mad that he still doesn't have a Harrier.

Ah yes, the Harrier. The fully-automatic Cerberus modification of the Mattock. We have dismissed that claim.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Just watched 3 scions spawn simultaneously in front of me in the Vancouver LZ. Then I watched all 3 simultaneously become possessed and launch 15 grenades. I know collectors are still a new faction but I don't think that sort of thing was intended when they were designed and its annoying.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
So what kind of equipment should I be looking to have before I attempt gold games? I'm apprehensive of jumping into a game and then proceeding to be useless and loving everything up. :ohdear:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Insert name here posted:

So what kind of equipment should I be looking to have before I attempt gold games?
A brain and at least one functioning eyeball.

If you know whatever class you're playing, know the game mechanics (like not creating a giant Revive pile), you'll do fine. The step-up from Silver isn't that big.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?

Insert name here posted:

So what kind of equipment should I be looking to have before I attempt gold games? I'm apprehensive of jumping into a game and then proceeding to be useless and loving everything up. :ohdear:

Don't worry, you'll find that random teammates are much, much more useless than you'll ever be, even if you try hard to fail.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon

Insert name here posted:

It's not too hard to make the jump to Gold; most success comes from a good team and if you pick a good complement to your team's makeup you'll do all right. If they've got a lot of tech classes, use an Engineer; if they're using biotics, grab an Adept. If nobody in the lobby has Overload or Energy Drain, pick a class with that and strip the shields off everything. (As long as your Overload is specced for Neural Shock + Extra Shield Damage, you'll strip everything besides a boss in one zap.) If everyone's using Energy Drain, use Overload and get constant tech bursts, or vice versa.

Gear wise, it's easiest to do it with a caster class. Most of your damage will come from power combos, so the gun is more for firing inbetween casts. A Shuriken X will do the trick fine, it's got decent punch for an SMG and you can drill all six into the head for good damage. If you have a Hurricane or Eagle, that'll do fine too. Mattock, Phalanx, Tempest / Locust, and Raptor are decent uncommon options. All can mailslot guardians, too.

Human Engineer, Human Adept and Human Sentinel are solid choices for constant combos, though the Engineer is the most gear independent since Overload can cut right through barriers / shields, while the biotics need to whittle them down with guns. If you've got a Salarian Engineer, smart Decoy usage and Energy Drain will help your team out a ton and keep the heat off you.

If you're a gun-toting class it's a bit more difficult to choose. Any ultra-rare or promotional weapon at level 1 will be fine. Most gold guns don't start to shine until they're past level 5, but the Geth Plasma Shotgun, Reegar, Raider, and Piranha are all just fine at level 1, with the GPS probably being the most versatile due to having great range and no reduction from armor. You'll want a way to mitigate armor, so definitely AP / Cryo / Warp ammo if you don't have a piercing mod. Losing 50 damage a shot on Gold against armor really hurts gun damage output. Turian Soldier liberally applying Proxy Mines deals a ton of hurt and detonates tech combos for everyone while debuffing, which is handy. Marksman and a Hurricane goes very well together, too.

40 Proof Listerine fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Oct 31, 2012

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!

40 Proof Listerine posted:

Human Engineer, Human Adept and Human Sentinel are solid choices for constant combos, though the Engineer is the most gear independent since Overload can cut right through barriers / shields, while the biotics need to whittle them down with guns.

While this is very good advice, the Human Adept can now do damage to shields passively via Singularity. Firing off a Singularity, pulsing SMG fire to strip shields, and then tossing a Warp or Shockwave is still fairly fast.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
Thanks for words regarding gold guys; jumped into a game with my Geth Infiltrator (specced like the guide linked in the OP) and just spammed cloak -> prox mine -> shoot with Claymore because I don't have a Geth shotgun yet and got a million assists because there was a Vorcha with a flamer in the game and he would murder everything with it after I hit them with the mine.

40 Proof Listerine posted:

If you've got a Salarian Engineer, smart Decoy usage and Energy Drain will help your team out a ton and keep the heat off you.
How should I be using Decoy? Like 90% of the time I keep forgetting I have it at all and just end up spamming Energy Drain instead.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Zoran posted:

I really thought they would give her the justicar model. I think it would have looked far less silly.

Yeah, it looks goofy as hell right now

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012

subroc posted:

Yeah I was thinking about it when those guys were posting, but starting out nowadays has got to suck. With the original number of weapons/mods, I was able to get a Carnifex 5 pretty quick and relied on that on most of my builds.

Now we've got double the guns and a shittonne more mods and classes. Newbies are going to be stuck with some very low level rare guns for quite a while.

There's always the deinstall every DLC but one trick so that you can concentrate your packs on a limited pool of available stuff. I'm tempted to do this with Earth so that I can hopefully get more Piranha updates (still at I) and the three N7 classes I'm missing.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

precision posted:

The Ghost and Havoc Turians look different, though. I hope they're not that lazy.

They are. The character select icons were already extracted from the DLC and uploaded to the wiki, everybody looks like the old characters. It's no coincidence that they lead off with two jetpack turians and two volus as they were the most unique ones, the rest of the characters are recycled models with copy/paste powers. The other asari has the same commando outfit, the drell still looks like Thane, the other turian has jetpacks too.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
So in my attempt to actually get the shotgun high caliber barrel I bought something like 20/22 recruit packs today (usually around 6 at a time because I was playing silver to grind them) and the only mod I got was a shotgun bayonet which while handy and useful to me is still not what I wanted. Instead I proceed to level up my Predator and Mantis to X, and my Avenger to IX. My Predator literally went up from VI to X from 4 boxes in a row thank Bioware. :argh:

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

Insert name here posted:

How should I be using Decoy? Like 90% of the time I keep forgetting I have it at all and just end up spamming Energy Drain instead.

When I've used it successfully it's been at major chokepoints where enemies are forced to run into it. From there it's basically a tech burst/fire explosion apocalypse from relative safety if you have someone else with tech poo poo.

Pumpking
Oct 27, 2007

Who is number 1?
Has the new character been released yet? Xcom is pretty addictive and I havent been keeping up with events.

Insert name here posted:

I take it to 6 chosing duration/shock/shields and durability. Its very versatile though and theres no need to take it to 6 for it to be effective. Decoy has been nerfed twice and isnt as good as it once was but is still a situationally useful power.

My thoughts behind using it are anything shooting the decoy isnt causing damage to the team. Put it in open, obvious places where enemies are likely to wander into it preferably at the start of the round before anything spawns. I'm not sure if its intentional but if enemies see you cast it often they will ignore the decoy and just shoot you anyway. You should keep it active as much as possible so get into the habit of quickly recasting when it goes down. Its very good against geth as they seem to be very susceptible to its charms so spam it constantly. Against cerberus its more situational but can be handy for distracting an atlas or a group of centurions during a hack. Against reapers you may as well not bother.

E: Forgot collectors. I'm not sure how it fares against them but I can see it being useful. Similar to cerberus.

Pumpking fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Oct 31, 2012

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Pumpking posted:

Has the new character been released yet? Xcom is pretty addictive and I havent been keeping up with events.

They're released with the patch notes this afternoon, typically around 5PM EST.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

Insert name here posted:

So in my attempt to actually get the shotgun high caliber barrel I bought something like 20/22 recruit packs today (usually around 6 at a time because I was playing silver to grind them) and the only mod I got was a shotgun bayonet which while handy and useful to me is still not what I wanted. Instead I proceed to level up my Predator and Mantis to X, and my Avenger to IX. My Predator literally went up from VI to X from 4 boxes in a row thank Bioware. :argh:

When I was missing weapon mods I found it worked better to treat their rarirty as one higher than it says. Buy veteren packs for commons and spectre packs for uncommons. This was back in march/april for me though so I don't know if it's changed. Once your starter guns are all at X though you should defintely stop buying recruit packs.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Ah yes, the Harrier. The fully-automatic Cerberus modification of the Mattock. We have dismissed that claim.

I have a Typhoon V, will trade for Harrier upgrades :negative:

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Remember that you can cast Decoy through walls too. In fact, you should try to do this as often as possible, because if you're within line of sight while you use it, they'll ignore the decoy.

It's much like cloak in that its only effective if you break line of sight before you make use of it.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.
Gotta say I'm pretty pumped about the prospect of a Raptor buff.
I loved rolling with that thing in SP and I'd really like to have a reason to use it in MP as well. Not necessarily with a sniping class either, rather with a support class to hang back and use the thing like a designated marksman rifle.
Of course there's already the Valiant for that, but hey, the more, the merrier!

Also, will they manage to make the GPR even remotely useful? :tali:

:speculate:

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Try the GPR on a damage specced Gethgineer kit with a high level ammo power. You need no stability or accuracy modifications to put nearly every one of the 80-120 rounds per magazine into the head of whatever you want to shoot.

It's not spectacular, but it's certainly not worthless either.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

zxqv8 posted:

with a high level ammo power

Unfortunately, if this is a requirement to make a gun perform just OK, it's pretty much a no-go for me as I'm a stingy bastard that must hoard all of the consumables. All of them :colbert:

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Fair enough, but the point goes back to the whole "BUT IS IT GOLD VIABLE?!" kind of question people used to have.

It can be made to work. It's underwhelming, but not useless.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
Ehhh, I'll give it a try later tonight then.

After the buff :shepface:

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
The GPR is supposed to be getting a buff today along with the lovely sniper rifles.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So I got some Q's on speccing character, I got the valkyrie and the krogan soldier.

I know the valk is a more tanky fury, just wondering what should I use as a detonator, the armor or warp, annihilation field is a must but I'm not sure how to drop points on the other skills.

For the soldier, I know he's super tough and hits the hardest melee wise, but he also has inferno nades and carnage so I can combo fire booms with myself, so I dunno if I should try a tanky dude with my cerb harrier or take all the melee bonuses, max fortification and just toss a fire nade into a group to soften em up then go in and melee like a lunatic.

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012
So for the minority like me who don't have everything at X yet, I went with my plan to delete all the DLC except Earth and blow 1.2 million on Spectre packs with the hope of getting my missing three N7 classes and improving my Earth weapons.

Qualified success. I got lots of mediocre weapon/gear upgrades, plus: N7 Demolisher, NV Paladin :toot:. Typhoon III, Talon I/II :toot:, Black Widow II, Assault Rifle Thermal Sights, Widow III, Arc Pistol V (have they buffed this yet?), Acolyte IV, Paladin I (pistol), Carnifex VI/VII.

It feels a lot better knowing you're not going to draw a reskin for the Cerberus classes or a Striker upgrade.

Edit: Still missing the N7 Fury.

The Slithery D fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Oct 31, 2012

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
E: /\/\/\ That's a pretty decent haul!

Alteisen posted:

I know the valk is a more tanky fury, just wondering what should I use as a detonator, the armor or warp, annihilation field is a must but I'm not sure how to drop points on the other skills.

I may be retarded but I tried the Valkyrie for a round when I got it the other day and I never managed to detonate enemies that were primed with AF with my armor. Which is why I don't see what all the fuzz is about regarding that class.

Can TA actually detonate anything? It sure as hell didn't seem to work for me and I ran up to enemies, primed them, and detonated constantly.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Fortification is kind of annoying because you have to detonate it to get the melee benefit, so you end up either juggling it depending on whether you want offense or defense, or just leaving it on and making a much worse cost/benefit trade than Blade/Tech Armor. Krogan are plenty tough with just Fitness.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Batarian Vanguard is in. loving yes.

e: also, Halloween challenge:

Unnerving reports from the front indicate that the Collector reinforcements are more numerous than we feared. At this point, we do not know if our numbers are accurate or if psychological warfare is at work. We need to engage the enemy to assess their true strength.

Halloween Challenge – Complete the three Halloween challenges to earn the Halloween Challenge Banner.
Ghostbuster: Requires 5 extractions on Firebase Ghost or Firebase Ghost Hazard
Zombie Hunter: Requires 7500 points against husks/abominations.
Monster Killer: Requires 10000 points against brutes/scions/praetorians/banshees.
All challenges can be completed on any map at any difficulty.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

The Arc Pistol is decent. They've given it enough buffing that uncharged shots are on par with the Phalanx (in feel) and the charged shots are pretty effective if you can aim.

It's also fun on a vanguard because you can charge it up, hit biotic charge, and as long as you're aiming well you'll plant a shot in their face right as you hit them with BC.

mania
Sep 9, 2004
Aw yeah Bartarian Vanguard.

Also, Halloween challenge:

quote:

Halloween Challenge – Complete the three Halloween challenges to earn the Halloween Challenge Banner.

Ghostbuster: Requires 5 extractions on Firebase Ghost or Firebase Ghost Hazard

Zombie Hunter: Requires 7500 points against husks/abominations.

Monster Killer: Requires 10000 points against brutes/scions/praetorians/banshees.

All challenges can be completed on any map at any difficulty.

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012

Alteisen posted:

So I got some Q's on speccing character, I got the valkyrie and the krogan soldier.

For the soldier, I know he's super tough and hits the hardest melee wise, but he also has inferno nades and carnage so I can combo fire booms with myself, so I dunno if I should try a tanky dude with my cerb harrier or take all the melee bonuses, max fortification and just toss a fire nade into a group to soften em up then go in and melee like a lunatic.

For the Valkryie I had fun maxing all three skills, using warp as my detonator. Move toward the enemy while doing a constant rotation of Warp, shoot, warp (detonate if you used an ammo power), until you get close enough to warp someone in your AF.

If I'm surrounded and someone has a Warp active (I hit them before AF primed), I'll detonate AF to blow the Warp. If I'm surrounded and have nothing primed I'll detonate the tech armor. If I'm really surrounded I'll do both in sequence, but preferably you're escaping to restore everything. Don't use either one as routine, but know and learn to make automatic the situations where you'll detonate one.

On the Krogan Soldier, I don't use Fortification anymore, he's just there to make fire explosions. If I wanted to melee something I'd use the Krogan Sentinel.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

Bioware Dev posted:

Note that this does not grant a commendation pack

This also does not add to your squad elite, N7 Weekend Operation Challenge

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
To hell with the Commpack, it's a goal to work toward. We're coming for you, Reapers. :flame:

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

Wish I could empty quote this. The Batarian Vanguard sounds neato though.

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012
Incidentally, someone pointed out in the last week that on Firebase Vancouver there's a pumpkin on a shelf in the room in the back left. Go in the right side, turn around. Has that always been there?

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
Nice halloween challenge, I've been grinding Reapers for the Death Guard title anyways.

zxqv8 posted:

Fair enough, but the point goes back to the whole "BUT IS IT GOLD VIABLE?!" kind of question people used to have.

It can be made to work. It's underwhelming, but not useless.

Yeah that's one thing I really like about the challenges, they've got me using a bunch of guns I wouldn't be otherwise. Some of them have even really surprised me. Turns out the Arc Pistol is pretty great now, you get one bug gently caress off shot then finish off the group with a recoiless Phalanx. Collector Rifle is pretty good too, damage isn't great but it's really accurate and stable. Incisor was also better then I remember with a stability bonus but I'm going to wait for the balance update to finish that one off.

zxqv8 posted:

The Arc Pistol is decent. They've given it enough buffing that uncharged shots are on par with the Phalanx (in feel) and the charged shots are pretty effective if you can aim.

It's also fun on a vanguard because you can charge it up, hit biotic charge, and as long as you're aiming well you'll plant a shot in their face right as you hit them with BC.

Yeah I'd take it over the Carnifex at this point for sure, not that I use the Carnifex anymore.

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012
And of course you'll play the Halloween challenge with an orange and black skin on your character.

:colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
What skills does the Batarian Vanguard get?

• Locked thread