Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
re:Xaris
Ignited aliens regen energy at 60% of their normal rate, so it can help reduce hit and runs or require gorge support to put the fire out. It's great to have one in a cluster of marines! It also burns away POISON LERK FOG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
I see, thanks! I didn't know it reduced energy regen rate. I suppose you're right then that having one out may be handy then once Fades come out. Though I never had much of a problem tracking Lerks through Spore and med spam is always a decent enough negator of Spore in a pinch so I'm not sure if that's really a useful element for it.

I'll give it another shot using it as debuff weapon then. I was just angry when it took me longer to kill a AFK Skulk with my Flamethrower than it would have been for me use a Knife Axe/any other weapon in the game on it.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Oct 31, 2012

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
You don't know how happy I was when I bought a grenade launcher and found it had changed from the crappy beta thing to a weapon of mass destruction :dance:

Now where is my HMG?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

quaunaut posted:

Having an issue getting my voice key to rebind back to Capslock. I keep setting it, then the moment I leave that screen, it is back to Left Alt. Any idea what's up?

Based on the console error message it coughed up when I tried this, you just can't bind capslock to anything. Hope it gets fixed though using left alt isn't as annoying as I was expecting.

The game owns immensely and I am happy to find my pc runs it at 50-60 fps at 1920x1080 with everything on the default settings (high/medium) and it looks beautiful. I've found kharaa much more fun so far though not knowing where anything is hurts a lot more when you don't have a minimap :(

The Donut
Aug 28, 2008

Zelensky's Zealots
Soiled Meat
For all those having performance issues try these things:

1. Update your drivers (doing this increased my performance massively)

2. If you're running an nvidia card create a profile for ns2 (if there isn't one already there) and make sure it is set to use your graphics card (sometimes it isn't and will try and run the game off of your motherboards graphics card if you have one). Also set your graphics card to maximum performance on this profile (sometimes, for some reason, at least with previous builds, ns2 wouldn't use the GPU fully but this might be a non issue with the retail release).

3. Switch off Vsync, max out your monitors refresh rate (or buy a 120hz monitor because they are awesome)

4. Reduce your resolution, turn off all the bells and whistles (aa, ambient occlusion, shadows, etc.) and slap on multicore rendering and the texture thingy (I forget what it's called - texture preloading?)

5. Something to remember is that, as others have pointed out, on your first time playing new maps the load time will be quite high as it precaches loads of stuff. It will also do this whilst playing the map and you might get some hitching every now and then. After this first time the maps should run smoothly and the load times should be good.

One more thing; bring up the console (with `) and type in r_stats 1. This will show your fps and how much your CPU or GPU are struggling. What you should be paying attention to are the two top lines which have GPU ms and the ms by the fps. The first is how much your CPU is bottlenecking the game, the second is how much your GPU is bottlenecking it.

If your GPU ms is high, and your performance is bad, you might be GPU bound (or it could be a driver issue). If your first one is high then you might be CPU bound.

I run this game at max settings at around 80-100ish fps as a marine and maybe 60-80ish as an alien. I get maybe 1 to 2 GPU ms in fights, and maybe 10 or so CPU ms, but it's still really smooth.

My specs are i7-965, 4GB RAM, Geforce 560ti

Hope this helps someone.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Carecat posted:

You don't know how happy I was when I bought a grenade launcher and found it had changed from the crappy beta thing to a weapon of mass destruction :dance:

Now where is my HMG?

HMG is now called a minigun attached to the exosuit, so you'll need to get an exosuit to experience old-school HMG madness.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Of 30 or so connection attempts today I've managed to get in a game once. Another 5 times i get into the map and have in instant timeout once I'm in the ready room. Regretting my purchase already.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

RabidWeasel posted:

Based on the console error message it coughed up when I tried this, you just can't bind capslock to anything. Hope it gets fixed though using left alt isn't as annoying as I was expecting.

That sucks. Since it might be a while until they get around to it you can use something like AutoHotkey to rebind your Caps Lock to appear as a different key to NS2.

Just add this line to the script it runs (Ctrl+E) and reload (Ctrl+R).
code:
Capslock::LAlt

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
Played a few games last night and had a lot of fun, seems a lot easier to play humans over the aliens though maybe that had something to do with the commanders. Despite having played less than 10 minutes of the first Natural Selection I still managed to wreck all those Skulks' day.

Aliens seem cooler and more fun overall so I think I'll try to get good at Skulk and Lerk after watching that Lerk video. poo poo looks awesome.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Ramagamma posted:

Of 30 or so connection attempts today I've managed to get in a game once. Another 5 times i get into the map and have in instant timeout once I'm in the ready room. Regretting my purchase already.

The servers are flooded with new players and there are one or two release-day glitches to iron out. UWE has a track record of fixing these things literally within a day or two. I can think of a half-dozen AAA titles of late that weren't made by a team of 7 with a budgeting strategy that's, uh, let's say "flexible", that have had much choppier releases that were much less excusable.

Seriously, wait literally 24-48 hours for one of the best multiplayer shooters that has been released in a decade. Or if this sort of thing is too frustrating for you, just do what I do and mentally push back your "personal" launch date for any given title by a week (or several months in the case of something like Diablo 3) and increase your quality of life by large amounts because you get to play it after the launch jitters are gone (a phenomenon which is pretty much universal at this point, have you noticed?)

speng31b fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Oct 31, 2012

RocketSurgeon
Mar 2, 2008
The timeout happens to me too ever since I got the beta. Basically find a server with a few free spots, connect to it. Once it timeouts open the console and type retry and you should be golden.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Release, with all of the new people, has made the game into easy mode for experienced players. My friend and I played about a dozen games and won every game where we were both on the same team, often with ridiculous scores like 65-5 without even using onos/exos. Really enjoying release, although I have a lot more fun playing aliens than marines.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

RocketSurgeon posted:

The timeout happens to me too ever since I got the beta. Basically find a server with a few free spots, connect to it. Once it timeouts open the console and type retry and you should be golden.

Now that is an old half-life engine problem/solution I haven't seen for a long time. That takes me back!

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
They either need to tweak the "rich" infestation a bit or make it un-toggleable, because other wise it's just like toggleable vegetative cover in other multiplayer shooters: The "rich" version can obscure things from view that the minimal version does not, so people with the minimal version on have a very slight advantage. :(

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Alehkhs posted:

They either need to tweak the "rich" infestation a bit or make it un-toggleable, because other wise it's just like toggleable vegetative cover in other multiplayer shooters: The "rich" version can obscure things from view that the minimal version does not, so people with the minimal version on have a very slight advantage. :(

I have a feeling that once they iron out the performance issues/weirdness it will no longer be optional.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

octoroon posted:

HMG is now called a minigun attached to the exosuit, so you'll need to get an exosuit to experience old-school HMG madness.

You can't fly that around with a jetpack.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Ramagamma posted:

Don't join servers that are close to full. Sort servers by ping, and join something that has lots of free slots. Filter so you can't see empty/full/password.

You're regretting your purchase already? Jeeze. Its an indie game, on launch day, you should more or less expect this much. The server browser in Chivalry is almost unusable, for instance, but they're patching it. NS2 is going to get lots of love and attention post launch, don't worry.

Neurosis posted:

Release, with all of the new people, has made the game into easy mode for experienced players. My friend and I played about a dozen games and won every game where we were both on the same team, often with ridiculous scores like 65-5 without even using onos/exos. Really enjoying release, although I have a lot more fun playing aliens than marines.

Lol, yeah. Me and one other guy just managed to faceroll the enemy team because they were all too busy running around the map lost like chickens sans heads. Our own commander kept yelling at us on voice chat "Go to server room! go to server room! Why isn't anybody listening to me?! GO to server room! We're gonna lose! We're gonna lose! Go to the server room!... oh wait we just won? Huh? How did that happen? How did we win? I have literally no idea how we just won lolol"

There's gonna be a little bit of time here where everybody learns how to play :P

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Oct 31, 2012

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Alehkhs posted:

That's the nature of shooters IMHO. People will play CS or BF3 on bare min settings because the lovely low poly version with less blur is easier to see.

I don't care if having blur makes me ever so slightly worse at the game, I accept it. It makes the game more FUN. Games are about fun, not about winning. (Unless you're a Spike, I guess). If anything, I'll accept the blur as a personal handicap because I'm so awesome.

I had this argument the other day with lots of people on reddit about the color correction in Battlefield 3 and whether or not it was cheating to try to remove it, and I think its ridiculous. People taking competitive gameplay too serious :P

If we're in a tournament together, then we should all have the same settings. But playing online for funsies? No money on the line? Who cares? Oh no!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Xaris posted:

- Flamethrower: This thing was garbage except to clear out Cysts. Even then, I'd rather have a GL. I don't see why commanders ever bother to research this. For any close range combat, I'd much prefer a shotgun. I've tried JP+Flamethrower too and still found it to be really bad compared to a SG. Conceptually, Flamethrower is flawed for this sort of game which is why they also removed it from NS1 in the first place and it's another example of moving a step backwards. It's one of those things that is cool in theory, but there isn't a good way to balance this weapon.
The Flamethrower is the anti-Fade weapon for people who can't aim.

Like me.

I love the flamethrower.

KFJ
Nov 7, 2009
I'm having a problem. No matter what server I join I can only play for about 5 seconds until a red ethernet cable shows up on the left of my screen. I can move around and stuff like that, but then it just goes to the main menu with an error message saying "Timeout"

Is my internet just being lovely?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

KFJ posted:

I'm having a problem. No matter what server I join I can only play for about 5 seconds until a red ethernet cable shows up on the left of my screen. I can move around and stuff like that, but then it just goes to the main menu with an error message saying "Timeout"

Hm, definitely internet connection issues. It might be your ISP being lovely, but it could be tons of other factors. Windows Firewall or 3rd party firewall? Antivirus? Do you have a router? Maybe need to forward some ports or set up a DMZ or something? (Shouldn't need to just to join a game, but who knows)

Does it work if you host a server and play locally?

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

KFJ posted:

Probably not. I've got the exact same problem. Except now it doesn't even let me get into the Ready Room, it just straight up timeouts on the loading screen.

Its really depressing that we as gamers have reached the point where products not working on day one is the standard.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Zaphod42 posted:

That's the nature of shooters IMHO. People will play CS or BF3 on bare min settings because the lovely low poly version with less blur is easier to see.

I don't care if having blur makes me ever so slightly worse at the game, I accept it. It makes the game more FUN. Games are about fun, not about winning. (Unless you're a Spike, I guess). If anything, I'll accept the blur as a personal handicap because I'm so awesome.

I had this argument the other day with lots of people on reddit about the color correction in Battlefield 3 and whether or not it was cheating to try to remove it, and I think its ridiculous. People taking competitive gameplay too serious :P

If we're in a tournament together, then we should all have the same settings. But playing online for funsies? No money on the line? Who cares? Oh no!

Yeah, this is pretty much my opinion, and I just leave the "rich" infestation on. One actual issue I found with it is that if cyst nodes are placed on stairs, the infestation will usually cover them up entirely, so you can't find them and kill them. You can just cut it off from the chain though, so it's not that big of an issue. :shrug:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Ramagamma posted:

Probably not. I've got the exact same problem. Except now it doesn't even let me get into the Ready Room, it just straight up timeouts on the loading screen.

Its really depressing that we as gamers have reached the point where products not working on day one is the standard.

Don't get your panties in a twist.

Guess what? The PC is a freaking complicated platform, and lots of people have lots of different configurations.

Most of us are playing NS2 just fine.

I don't see it as depressing whatsoever that we aren't acting like spoiled children who throw a fit when their toys don't work. Thats how technology works. Did you ever do online gaming in the dial-up era? poo poo most certainly didn't just work. You got dropped all the time, and you were happy if it worked long enough to play a full match.

Its one thing to be upset by not being able to play Diablo 3 on launch day, since the reason you couldn't was only because of a decision Blizzard made to add DRM, and you wanted to play singleplayer. But NS2 isn't limited by a design choice, and if you want to play singleplayer you can (but the game is really multiplayer only). Network issues are just reality, and the game is made on an indie budget, it didn't cost you $60, so you shouldn't expect $60 quality out of the box.

Either your setup has an issue, which isn't even NS2's fault, or the game has a bug specific to your hardware that will probably be patched soon. But of course you jump to blame everything on the game...

Not everything is indicative that "lo the end times have come for gamers nowadays"

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Oct 31, 2012

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

KFJ posted:

Nope, it's not just you. The NS team said they were working on fixing it.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

RocketSurgeon posted:

Oh snap, never thought to try that. I've been joining servers by finding people in the Lerk More group to join on. Awesome to see 15-20 servers with almost 100% performance, less than 100 ping and a slot or two open when I use the browser. I really hope the beta community comes together and brings back that NS1 community culture in a hurry so the new guys stick around.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Totally understandable. It's just somewhat jarring that in the course of the day I've went from joining and playing a full match to disconnections 5 seconds after entering the ready room to a straight up crash while its pre-caching during the map load.

If it progresses like this I'll be unable to start Steam by teatime.

snaga
Jan 6, 2005

RabidWeasel posted:

I've found kharaa much more fun so far though not knowing where anything is hurts a lot more when you don't have a minimap :(

Press 'c'. :ssh:

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

I bought this game yesterday, I played the first one forever ago and thought it was awesome, but I had completely forgotten about it until I read about NS2.

Anyway, some thoughts about it:

I've only played games as the aliens so far and have lost every game. Is there a balance issue or have I just gotten unlucky in the 5 or 6 games I've played.

I'm really bad at landing bites or it takes way too many bites to kill a human, I'm guessing it's the former though.

Being a Fade with blink is awesome!

The game is extremely fun though (even if I keep losing), I plan on trying some games as humans tonight.

snaga
Jan 6, 2005

Ramagamma posted:

Totally understandable. It's just somewhat jarring that in the course of the day I've went from joining and playing a full match to disconnections 5 seconds after entering the ready room to a straight up crash while its pre-caching during the map load.

Those two bugs seem to be the ones causing most trouble, you should feel special for having them both. :)

http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=122598

https://twitter.com/NS2/status/263558780736913408

ten_twentyfour
Jan 24, 2008

When I get home from work today I'll start setting up the NS2 server software on my server so we can have a place for goons of all colors to come together and complain about how bad everyone but themselves are.

snaga
Jan 6, 2005

eggsovereasy posted:

I've only played games as the aliens so far and have lost every game. Is there a balance issue or have I just gotten unlucky in the 5 or 6 games I've played.

Any CS noob knows how to shoot with a gun, the alien side is a totally different beast you have to actually learn. I'm sure it will even out in the coming days/weeks.

The Core
Feb 17, 2011
Can't wait to play some NS 2. I had kind of written it off after I preordered it about 2 years ago. NS 1 was pretty much my favorite shooter way back when.

I haven't really been following the development all that much. If I hop into a game am I going to be alright if I played a ton of NS? I actually used to be a pretty decent commander, but don't know if I should hop in right away if there have been a ton of changes to build order and what not. Also I suppose knowing the maps well is also needed. Did they bring back any of the old maps? Or is it all new?

I am glad to see my all-time favorite combo of shotgun + jetpack is still around. Nothing better than being a one man wrecking crew, sneaking around assassinating aliens and destroying bases.

Startacus
May 25, 2007
I am Startacus.

eggsovereasy posted:

I bought this game yesterday, I played the first one forever ago and thought it was awesome, but I had completely forgotten about it until I read about NS2.

Anyway, some thoughts about it:

I'm really bad at landing bites or it takes way too many bites to kill a human, I'm guessing it's the former though.

Being a Fade with blink is awesome!

The game is extremely fun though (even if I keep losing), I plan on trying some games as humans tonight.

The games I played seemed pretty balanced. I saw both humans and aliens win a couple.

It takes three direct bites to kill a human unless they have a bunch of armor upgrades.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

If you guys like this game and want to help out in some small may, you might want to look into helping to inflate the user score on Metacritic:

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/natural-selection-2

The Core posted:

Can't wait to play some NS 2. I had kind of written it off after I preordered it about 2 years ago. NS 1 was pretty much my favorite shooter way back when.

I haven't really been following the development all that much. If I hop into a game am I going to be alright if I played a ton of NS? I actually used to be a pretty decent commander, but don't know if I should hop in right away if there have been a ton of changes to build order and what not. Also I suppose knowing the maps well is also needed. Did they bring back any of the old maps? Or is it all new?

I am glad to see my all-time favorite combo of shotgun + jetpack is still around. Nothing better than being a one man wrecking crew, sneaking around assassinating aliens and destroying bases.

The core skills from NS translate well -- accuracy in fast-paced close combat. Commander is a different story, since that part of the game has changed pretty dramatically. Nothing to do there but practice a lot.

A few maps from the old game have been/are being brought back by community mappers, but most of it is new. And yes, map knowledge is very important -- you will want to spend most of your time not in combat with "C" pressed (minimap hotkey) to make sure you know what is happening and where you are going. After a few games of this you should start to learn the maps fairly well.

e for sexy press coverage:

Penny Arcade Report has an NS2 article up already. http://penny-arcade.com/report/editorial-article/the-10-year-struggle-to-bring-natural-selection-2-to-life

speng31b fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Oct 31, 2012

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

Startacus posted:

The games I played seemed pretty balanced. I saw both humans and aliens win a couple.

It takes three direct bites to kill a human unless they have a bunch of armor upgrades.

Only 2 bites if they are infected with the skulk parasite I believe.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Anyone know where the settings / ini file is? I changed my resolution to 1280x768 windowed (on a 1920x1200 monitor) and the window is completely black, have to exit the game through task manager with no way to change the resolution back in the game.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Shadowlz posted:

I really can't emphasise enough to new players how important parasiting your enemies is.

frameset fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Oct 31, 2012

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Shadowlz posted:

I'm assuming the second weapon (the spike icon) is the parasite? Also, what does the third weapon (suicide) for skulks do, and what is the difference between the two gas clouds for Lerks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
What do the clots that Gorges put down do? Make the creep expand faster?

• Locked thread