Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Australian football hasnt really seen anyone seriously doing dropkicks for decades, but our forwards often have a really good end over end punt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Chichevache posted:

If you look at Australian football they do it too. In fact all the best. (read hardest hitting) punters are Aussie Rules players. Jeff Wing... :allears:

I think you'll find his name is Brad Wing :eng101:

Anyway, these images might be useful for illustrating the subtle differences between the three types of football.

Steeden:

Sherrin:

Wilson:

I've managed to find a way to get an American football to bounce with some vague level of consistency (you've got to tilt it slightly backwards and bounce it off the last little curving part of the panels, rather than directly on the point), but I wouldn't like to try it under pressure unless I was on artificial turf.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

GNU Order posted:

Here's something that might be good for a laugh

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/chi/career-receiving.htm

For reference, here's Brandon Marshall's career numbers

code:
GP	GS	Rec	Yds	Avg	Lng	TD	Att	Yds	Avg	Lng	TD	FUM	Lost
91	75	494	6,247	12.6	75	34	19	120	6.3	24	0	11	6
Our best recievers were a running back (one of the best but a running back regardless) and guys from the 40's and 60's

It's extremely Chicago Bears that Mike Ditka is the 4th leading Bears receiver of all time.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Trin Tragula posted:

I think you'll find his name is Brad Wing :eng101:

Dammit. I know a Jeff Wing and it always throws me off.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Even with a nice rugby ball dropkicks are a lot less accurate than placekicks because moving ball vs stationary ball.

There also aren't many possible circumstances in American football where a dropkick would be useful. Surprise field goal! Field goals never get blocked so why would you. I guess if you were to try a two point conversion, see that nobody was open, and then drop a goal that would be cool. Or if there was a bad snap and the kicker had to do something on the spot. But either case would mean doing a dropkick in the face of a pass rush and that's, uh, not a good idea.

Dankzilla
Dec 8, 2005

"hey Clay, how's Groy's ass lookin?"
we would dropkick pat's in high school once in awhile, I don't think we ever missed, but there wasn't really any benefit.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Dankzilla posted:

we would dropkick pat's in high school once in awhile, I don't think we ever missed, but there wasn't really any benefit.

It's fun and if you're not terrible at it then you don't have to do weird stuff like let your DT try and kick an extra point if your normal kicker is out.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Declan MacManus posted:

It's fun and if you're not terrible at it then you don't have to do weird stuff like let your DT try and kick an extra point if your normal kicker is out.

Not everyone can be CHAD OCHOCINCO HOF 20??

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:

Declan MacManus posted:

Plus you can do more weird poo poo in high school anyway. One of the years I played, our QB was also the punter and the kicker was one of our wideouts.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
Our kickers in highschool were terrible so we always went for 2. I bet I could hit 90% of dropkicks though.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Was at a HS game this past week where they had it with 4th and goal on the 4 yard line and opted to go for it (they were stopped at the 1). HS kickers are bad. Getting extra points is a bonus, not an assumption.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

No Safe Word posted:

HS kickers are bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMF9qgs3PEw

This guy has a right to be all :smug:

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA

No Safe Word posted:

Was at a HS game this past week where they had it with 4th and goal on the 4 yard line and opted to go for it (they were stopped at the 1). HS kickers are bad. Getting extra points is a bonus, not an assumption.

My team lost the Ontario championship on a rouge. loving Canadian football

We ran a fake punt on our last drive because our punter could only kick like 30 yards

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
How does a blindside block get cancelled out by swearing on the bench about the blindside block???

Gough Suppressant fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Nov 5, 2012

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

This is a gentleman's game.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

MonsterUnderYourBed posted:

How does a blindside block get cancelled out by swearing on the bench about the blindside block???

cry more

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Does anyone know what type of software coaches use during games to track personnel and situations? I'm thinking about a final project for one of my courses and a web app to do this seems like it would be fun, but I don't really know if something widespread exists already.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

Good Will Hrunting posted:

Does anyone know what type of software coaches use during games to track personnel and situations? I'm thinking about a final project for one of my courses and a web app to do this seems like it would be fun, but I don't really know if something widespread exists already.

Are you talking about software for postgame breakdown or live game charting of plays?

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Something that lets coaches track more about each play than just run/pass and yards gained, so they have data to look at when making adjustments at halftime.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Is there a certain time frame mandated by the league that teams have to wear their throwbacks in, or can they do it whenever they feel like it?

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Something that lets coaches track more about each play than just run/pass and yards gained, so they have data to look at when making adjustments at halftime.

Pen and paper is the most effective way while the game is going on. The clipboard holders, which are typically both a reserve quarterback and a few coaches, record all of that information and refer to it during the game.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER
So I may not have seen this right, but in the MNF game, it looked like the Eagles had a second receiver lying down on his stomach in the end zone, with the other guy sorta serving as a decoy.

Is that right? If so, what the gently caress.

And is the touchdown that was waved off ruled null because it was a forward pass, or was there something else going on there?

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

jeffersonlives posted:

Pen and paper is the most effective way while the game is going on. The clipboard holders, which are typically both a reserve quarterback and a few coaches, record all of that information and refer to it during the game.

Thanks for the info. I figured this. I still might use it as an idea for my project because my professor knows nothing about football anyway.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Thanks for the info. I figured this. I still might use it as an idea for my project because my professor knows nothing about football anyway.

With tablets becoming so commonplace maybe you could be on the cutting edge of something new.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

You could invent something that explodes when it rains, instead of just going soggy!

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

If you make an awesome tablet app that goes pro you have to call it the Football Funtab

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Thoguh posted:

With tablets becoming so commonplace maybe you could be on the cutting edge of something new.

Those kind of apps definitely exist, but use of them during games is mostly banned at all levels.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

jeffersonlives posted:

Those kind of apps definitely exist, but use of them during games is mostly banned at all levels.

That's fairly interesting. Is there any reason? I feel like if they regulated it, things would run a lot smoother. Are people up in the booths like DCs making decisions based on info solely gathered via pen and paper? Having something to aggregate this info seems like it would be a pretty practical idea.

Anyway, still probably going to write a web prototype for this which is super easy and interesting enough to keep me motivated for this project. Will post it if it turns out okay.

Good Will Hrunting fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Nov 7, 2012

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Perdido posted:

So I may not have seen this right, but in the MNF game, it looked like the Eagles had a second receiver lying down on his stomach in the end zone, with the other guy sorta serving as a decoy.

Is that right? If so, what the gently caress.

And is the touchdown that was waved off ruled null because it was a forward pass, or was there something else going on there?
Yes because it owned and was something new in a game that had seen everything.

And yes because desean Jackson is a retard and should've stopped and set his feet before he did it

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Blackula69 posted:

And yes because desean Jackson is a retard and should've stopped and set his feet before he did it

Brandon Boykin! :eng101:

Still a hell of a play though. Shame it didn't work. :eng99:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Blackula69 posted:

What happened?

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=engMm3aJ0TY

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Huh. That's certainly interesting looking. Not sure it could ever be tried again though. At least in the NFL.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
New NFL rule: If you lay down you stay down. For safety, of course.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Does anyone here actually play? Is there a thread for that? I'm about to become a real life rookie, preliminary tryout on Sunday.

Calm down: it's in Britain. For probably the worst team in the league system right now :shobon:

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Vando posted:

Does anyone here actually play? Is there a thread for that? I'm about to become a real life rookie, preliminary tryout on Sunday.

Calm down: it's in Britain. For probably the worst team in the league system right now :shobon:

Lots of us played in High School and there are at least a few posters who played in college at one level or another. If I remember correctly a year or two ago there was a guy who was on a D-1 team that posted (anonymously). But I don't think there is anybody actively playing more than recreational flag football.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Vando posted:

Which one is that?

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Trin Tragula posted:

Which one is that?

Carlisle. A mighty 21 points from 8 fixtures, a mere 300+ against. The only way is up!

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

what's a fixture? I played for years and I don't know what those words mean.

What position?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Blackula69 posted:

what's a fixture? I played for years and I don't know what those words mean.

What position?

'Fixture' is a Brit word for 'game' (and I used it because technically there were two other games in there, but were default wins).

Position: wherever. I think it's a bit 'get bodies on the field who have good physical performance' at this stage. I doubt I'd make a good lineman, though.

• Locked thread