Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
speng31b
May 8, 2010

Guesticles posted:

I think if they could be hit by anything mid-blink they would need a buff to health/armor, as fades do need a way to bug out. It would be nice there was some way to differentiate a "retreating" and "attacking" blink, and have the retreating blink be immune.

Mainly, I say only flamers because they are a great fade counter, and I think making it so they could hit blinking fades would really solidify that. It would also let you hit an advancing fade, reducing their effective time, or when used against a retreating fade low on energy, maybe cause them to drop out of blink where teammates could finish them off.

I'm almost positive that blink does not provide immunity and they can be hit mid-blink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whiskas
May 30, 2005
^^ Yes.

Fades can be taken out with 2 half competent marines with shotguns. Going 1v1 against a half decent fade will always end up in a loss.

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

Sometimes, a man just needs to get his Rock off.

octoroon posted:

Everything else can hit blinking fades. Don't stop shooting at them while they're blinking thinking that they're immune, that's a rookie mistake.

Okay, it just never gives me the hit confirm, so either it just doesn't or I'm just outright missing.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Demitri Omni posted:

Okay, it just never gives me the hit confirm, so either it just doesn't or I'm just outright missing.

I don't know about hit confirms during blink, but try watching/playing a Fade sometime. It is very common to start blinking and come out on the other end with much less HP. But yeah, it's always hard to hit something moving that fast so it's possible you're just missing.

But if Fades seem to be blinking away from you in a straight line it's always a good idea to shoot after them.

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

I AM CURRENTLY JACKING OFF TO PICTURES OF MUTILATED FEMALE CORPSES, IT'S ALL VERY DEEP AND SOPHISTICATED BUT IT'S JUST TOO FUCKING HIGHBROW FOR YOU NON-MISOGYNISTS TO UNDERSTAND

:siren:P.S. STILL COMPLETELY DEVOID OF MERIT:siren:
Yeah, same. I've shot blinking fades/being shooting where they reappear, and it doesn't seem to do poo poo.

And I guess the few times I go fade (I'm a lovely fade so its usually better for me to save for onos if we're winning/holding or go gorge if a hive is getting hit) I never closely watched my HP/Armor during a blink.

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

The current form of blink initially made you immune, then they shifted to 50% damage later in the beta. However, for months now it takes full damage. Keep shooting.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Zaphod42 posted:

That's the nature of shooters IMHO. People will play CS or BF3 on bare min settings because the lovely low poly version with less blur is easier to see. I don't care if having blur makes me ever so slightly worse at the game, I accept it. It makes the game more FUN. Games are about fun, not about winning. (Unless you're a Spike, I guess). If anything, I'll accept the blur as a personal handicap because I'm so awesome.

This is from a while back, but I wanted to add in my two cents. I think that you're totally right, and that developers need to recognize that this is an issue. What's the point of them putting in all these different graphics options when vet players are just going to remove them anyway to get a slight advantage? Folks are going to increase the FOV to max, remove vegetation, disable screen effects, or dumb down the textures - just to get an advantage against new players that don't know better. It sucks, but that's just the way it is.

I do think that there is a solution though: Make sure that the standard/recommended settings are also give the most gameplay advantage. If you remove the detailed vegetation, replace it with green blocks that obscure things even more; if you disable screen effects (like displaying red veins when you're damaged) then just flash to an entirely red screen. Developers shouldn't be leaving incentives for people to play 8-bit multiplayer.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I like how the alien vision mode deals with that thematically, you can choose to play in featureless wireframe mode where nothing distracts you from your killing but everyone gets the same choice.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

RabidWeasel posted:

I like how the alien vision mode deals with that thematically, you can choose to play in featureless wireframe mode where nothing distracts you from your killing but everyone gets the same choice.

Totally. Because it's totally transparent. It gives people what they want without making it obscure. Players shouldn't be cracking open their .ini files just to play competitively.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I wish your perspective rotated with your orientation while playing skulk, like in AvP. Obviously its less disorientating, but it doesn't feel as cool and it makes it hard to run along ceilings without falling off.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

voltron lion force posted:

I wish your perspective rotated with your orientation while playing skulk, like in AvP. Obviously its less disorientating, but it doesn't feel as cool and it makes it hard to run along ceilings without falling off.

Someone could probably mod that in, but there's a good reason not to do it -- certain people will get sick. Like, real-life, fullscale vomiting sick. It's been tried, and it's not a good idea.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD

Lurking291230 posted:

I may be the odd one out here, but I have an i7 with an nvidia 460m, and I've been trying to play this on Windows 8, but it seems to die on me after 10-15 minutes when I'm trying to respawn. Strangely, I can successfully respawn 3-4 times before that, but it will eventually get to the point where it just crashes on me while I'm staring at my dude at the respawn point.

Any ideas, or could it just be windows 8?

I downloaded the most recent drivers from the NVidia website about 4 hours ago.

It's either Windows 8 or your laptop overheating.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Game is selling ~500 copies per hour. Yay NS2!

Lurking291230
Oct 17, 2012

Vatek posted:

It's either Windows 8 or your laptop overheating.

It's probably the latter. And both. I heard windows 8 had issues with overheating.

It's a real shame, too. I didn't have this issue with windows 7, but I don't really want to downgrade.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Yeah, and that's with only a few tweets and a small handful of articles. Once more articles start to hit the press, and more major casters/players start to tweet about it and make videos, it's going to be great.

Lurking291230
Oct 17, 2012

octoroon posted:

Yeah, and that's with only a few tweets and a small handful of articles. Once more articles start to hit the press, and more major casters/players start to tweet about it and make videos, it's going to be great.

Yeah, it's like the Alien vs. Predator game we all wanted in the first place.

To clarify, I actually like this game. I know that sounded like sarcasm.

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

I'm actually very impressed with how far the game has come, performance-wise, since my sporadic attempts to play it during beta. I just played a full round with everything up (except ambient occlusion) at 1080p on an aging Radeon 6850 and the only time it got choppy was when our entire team stomped the last alien hive and the screen was covered in crazy effects. Amazing what optimization and the ability to filter out servers with dogshit performance can do.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
Wow this game was extremely fun, I played with some french dudes and then when we were about to win it crashed. It is also so drat fun making the bigass exoskeletons dance by moving extremely fast.

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

I AM CURRENTLY JACKING OFF TO PICTURES OF MUTILATED FEMALE CORPSES, IT'S ALL VERY DEEP AND SOPHISTICATED BUT IT'S JUST TOO FUCKING HIGHBROW FOR YOU NON-MISOGYNISTS TO UNDERSTAND

:siren:P.S. STILL COMPLETELY DEVOID OF MERIT:siren:

Lurking291230 posted:

Yeah, it's like the Alien vs. Predator game we all wanted in the first place.

To clarify, I actually like this game. I know that sounded like sarcasm.

That could be fun, a 1-person predator team. You get points for killing people with the highest KtD ratios.

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

Guesticles posted:

That could be fun, a 1-person predator team. You get points for killing people with the highest KtD ratios.

Quick, someone make a mod for that!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I'm seeing a LOT of teamstacking going on. It's kind of annoying. Team colours of green vs white half the time.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Installed new drivers, disabled v-sync and my game is notably better. It's now around maybe 20fps but, hey, better than it used to be! :shrug:

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

The teamstacking is getting really obnoxious. Whole servers sitting in the ready room marine door or alien door.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

AgentF posted:

Installed new drivers, disabled v-sync and my game is notably better. It's now around maybe 20fps but, hey, better than it used to be! :shrug:

The loading times keep getting faster. Is this what that precaching thing is?

whiskas
May 30, 2005

Splicer posted:

I'm seeing a LOT of teamstacking going on. It's kind of annoying. Team colours of green vs white half the time.

Nope. The opposite team will always appear all white, rookie status will only be shown on your own team.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Cheston posted:

The loading times keep getting faster. Is this what that precaching thing is?

Yes.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

I was a *HUGE* Natural Selection fan.

1. How is performance?
2. How is the net code?

I heard both were an utter train wreck in the Alpha, so bad, that I have not followed the game at all.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

whiskas posted:

Nope. The opposite team will always appear all white, rookie status will only be shown on your own team.
Ha, I knew someone was going to say that.

If you hit tab in the ready room before anyone enters the game you can see who's rookie. I've gotten into the habit of doing a quick green/white name headcount before anyone enters the game and matching that against the green/white ratio on my team.

I'll leave the results of this experiment as an exercise to the reader.

e: This complaint includes the times when I've ended up on the stacked team, to clarify. Neither is fun. Though being on the losing end is obviously even less fun.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Nov 1, 2012

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Diogines posted:

I was a *HUGE* Natural Selection fan.

1. How is performance?
2. How is the net code?

I heard both were an utter train wreck in the Alpha, so bad, that I have not followed the game at all.

They were an utter trainwreck in alpha, and as one might expect, both are very good now. Performance is solid, but you will need a semi-modern system -- think a processor that starts with an "i" (or is at least equivalent) and a video card that was released in the last three years or so. Netcode is flawless as long as you connect to a server that is running the game at full performance. Luckily the server browser lets you filter by server performance, so you have noone but yourself to blame if you connect to a poo poo server.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
On a more positive note, disabling vsynch and knocking my resolution down a notch has drastically improved my game experience.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
re: Fade blinking, currently the hitbox of a blinking fade is the size of a can of coke turned on it's side. This is a bug and will be fixed soon. Once that's fixed it will be much easier to hit blinking fades. You still do 100% damage currently it's just extremely hard to hit.

Also, I will be streaming for a while tonight at http://twitch.tv/garfu

And if you would like to see some fade play, watch the most recent video that is up on my twitch channel, it has ~50 kills as a fade in one of those matches.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I thought they were being a little optimistic with their big server roll out, but it seems I was way off. They're having to add even more euro servers to keep up with demand.

Dred_furst
Nov 19, 2007

"Hey look, I'm flying a giant dong"

Lurking291230 posted:

I may be the odd one out here, but I have an i7 with an nvidia 460m, and I've been trying to play this on Windows 8, but it seems to die on me after 10-15 minutes when I'm trying to respawn. Strangely, I can successfully respawn 3-4 times before that, but it will eventually get to the point where it just crashes on me while I'm staring at my dude at the respawn point.

Any ideas, or could it just be windows 8?

I downloaded the most recent drivers from the NVidia website about 4 hours ago.

Well, I suppose there's always aimbotting. I have no idea how that would work in this game, though.

Are you on a laptop? If so have you messed about with your power settings and ensured you have your laptop plugged in whilst playing?

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

7c Nickel posted:

I thought they were being a little optimistic with their big server roll out, but it seems I was way off. They're having to add even more euro servers to keep up with demand.

I was pretty impressed with them handling it, I thought for sure they were going to underestimate how many servers they needed.

Totally surprised me when I saw 30+ UWE Australian servers on release.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

gently caress yeah.

How long until someone creates an AvP mod? That'd be awesome if they kept the high level of detail.

Also, I was in Pipeline on Veil with no power so it was completely dark. One of us had a flashlight on and it was loving impossible to see through. I turned mine on and it just illuminated everything as you'd expect, but it seems like the light that comes out of other players just turns to a pea-soup dense fog that made it nearly impossible to see. I can't imagine if we all had our lights, none of use would have been able to see at all.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
By the way, come join us in #ns2goons on irc.synirc.net !

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Just came out of my first run as a marine commander. My marines were mostly rookies, so they did basically nothing without a waypoint or me saying in voice what to do. Edit: But hey, we ended in a win! Still, the tech tree looks awesome and I can see a lot of late-game stalemates that happen now being broken by those arc tanks. Remember the siege turrets from NS1? Yeah. These are those, on wheels that deploy and do a non line-of-sight shot on hives in the time it takes for one ping to reveal/complete.

The more I think about it, the more I like the skulk/bilebomb counter to Exos. I mean, You REALLY want to punch that f'n skulk, but you can't, since he's short. :(

And I was wrong about the gorge running. He's actually skiing. Just hurls himself forwards and goes dead. Moves you fast down infected hallways for a bit of energy. Also it's kind of cute seeing the tongue stick out. :allears:

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Had a newbie jump into alien comm and start learning how it works, with me giving him advice about it all. Unfortunately it was Veil with Pipeline hive, and the team wasn't organised enough to defend Cargo so it all kinda fell apart. But still the new guy went from knowing literally nothing to claiming res nodes, getting a second hive, researching leap, getting other upgrades. I feel like a proud father.

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

It feels like marines are much much easier to do well in for new players. I'm guessing that aliens can be more powerful individually, but it's really painful losing game after game because our skulk horde is afraid of heights and moves single file into the storm of lead.

Also marines get all sorts of handy waypoint indicators, it's really easy to tell what's happening and where.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

DelphiAegis posted:

And I was wrong about the gorge running. He's actually skiing. Just hurls himself forwards and goes dead. Moves you fast down infected hallways for a bit of energy. Also it's kind of cute seeing the tongue stick out. :allears:

The gorge belly slide is fun. If you turn smoothly enough you can actually get around corners without slowing down.

2 Fast 2 Furious : Kharaa Drift

• Locked thread