Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Stanos posted:

Yeah I imagine if they didn't jury-rig a Game Gear to do that they wouldn't do that for a Virtual Boy. Mike Matei from Cinemassacre has that done for his Game Gear review (complete with video explanation on how) but I don't see them doing that for GCCX. As mentioned before, I'm sure it's a licensing issue or something along those lines.

I've said this before in different ways, but I think that GCCX really wants to take the approach of "as most people played it." They have an old-model Famicom hooked up to a TV to play TV games on a TV show. Yeah, they could play the arcade or computer version of Game X, or they could play Game Y on a Super Game Boy (all the way through that is), but those aren't part of the collective experience. And I don't think it's licensing so much as not wanting to get on a company's bad side and instead going down the most respectful road possible. I don't know for sure, though, but this is why I'd rather interview Kibe than Arino.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

If they wanted to stay true to most people's experiences then they would play the games on a CRT. :colbert:

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Mister Chief posted:

If they wanted to stay true to most people's experiences then they would play the games on a CRT. :colbert:

Im honesetly surprised that they dont, everyone I know that collects NES/Famicom games plays them on a CRT

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Is that what you call the TV with the tubes? I played Nintendo on a TV with tubes. That blur effect hurts my eyes.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Meme Emulator posted:

Im honesetly surprised that they dont, everyone I know that collects NES/Famicom games plays them on a CRT

It's probably a different thing in Japan. It seems like playing older games is a lot more popular and common there, where as here, anyone who is collecting is more likely to care about the little things like whether or not you play on a CRT TV.

Goggle Fox
Jul 9, 2011

They had a CRT in the early days. After they switched to a flat panel, Bokutte Upa! had a reverse-gravity level that drove Arino nuts. One of the techs held the screen upside down for him, and that was heavy enough as it is. For the sake of Inoko MAX's back, I think we can do without the CRT.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Mister Chief posted:

Does it count if I still have a CRT computer monitor and play emulated games on that? That, plus I always use the TV filters if the emulator has them.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Tewratomeh posted:

Does it count if I still have a CRT computer monitor and play emulated games on that? That, plus I always use the TV filters if the emulator has them.

It doesn't really matter what you use if you're emulating. It's just that feeding a composite signal into an LCD TV usually looks like rear end and sometimes adds significant input lag. Emulators will look good on any computer monitor.

For the purposes of the show, you wouldn't want a giant TV sitting on the table if you can help it, and I doubt Arino cares either way.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

:witch: It's time for the GCCX Halloween Spooktacular! :ghost:

Arino faces his most determined foe ever in this frightening episode. Can Arino survive the terrors of Hell Village*?

Note: Hell Village means Makaimura.

Note's Note: Makaimura is Ghost'n Goblins.

Raising her first translated episode of Game Center CX from the dead, it's the reanimated zari-gani!

Download torrent81 (1 files; 509.60 MB)
View torrent stats

Direct Download

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I loved this episode, and I'm glad to see that Zarigari got around to translating it, so I'll be interested to see the differences between the two versions.

And PS - gently caress you Red Arrimer. Why do you got to cause so much trouble for Arino? He just wants to win!

joek0
Oct 13, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

:witch: It's time for the GCCX Halloween Spooktacular! :ghost:

Arino faces his most determined foe ever in this frightening episode. Can Arino survive the terrors of Hell Village*?

Note: Hell Village means Makaimura.

Note's Note: Makaimura is Ghost'n Goblins.

Raising her first translated episode of Game Center CX from the dead, it's the reanimated zari-gani!

Download torrent81 (1 files; 509.60 MB)
View torrent stats

Direct Download

Thanks zarigani for subbing this great episode. I loved this episode the most from the TV Nihon subs and glad that you chose to retranslate the episode. The Makaimura trilogy of GCCX are on the top of my favorite episode list. Hope Cho Makaimura (Super Ghouls N Ghosts) gets subbed soon.

Hope to see more SA retranslations of the TV Nihon episodes.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Zarigari, I just want to say after the nerdiest comparison possible (literally watching both versions at the same time for a few minutes), I have to say that your translation is a lot better. I didn't see too many major differences, but it reads a lot smoother and lot more naturally, and it seems like there's better word choices over all.

For instance, TV-Nihon says that the game was "sold in 1986," where your subs say "released in 1986." I think we all know which one is the better one.

Thanks again for all the amazin' work you do!

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Funny that I was originally scared off the first GnG translation because the king said 'Makaimura'. I assumed it was going to be full of those fun translation notes also. :v:

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

Cemetry Gator posted:

Zarigari, I just want to say after the nerdiest comparison possible (literally watching both versions at the same time for a few minutes) I didn't see too many major differences

Yeah you won't see too many. For the biggest differences, watch the industry interview. That's when paths begin to wildly diverge, I think.

As Random Stranger mentioned, this is the very first episode of GCCX I ever translated. Four years ago, back when raw GCCX on Youtube was scarce and I couldn't find any subbed GCCX to show my friends how awesome the show is, someone uploaded just the challenge portion. I translated it using Overstream. I then translated the first half of 53 Stations before all GCCX clips were taken off Youtube, and I got to finish the second half four years later for SAGCCX here.

ETA: Just a heads up -- this doesn't mean we're now going to start releasing episodes TVN previous released. Non-subbed eps are still number one priority; this was just a special case. Our original intention was to release the GnG trilogy on Halloween, but Clover ended up releasing Ghouls'n Ghosts early... However, the finale is coming soon...!

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Oct 31, 2012

joek0
Oct 13, 2011

zari-gani posted:

Yeah you won't see too many. For the biggest differences, watch the industry interview. That's when paths begin to wildly diverge, I think.

As Random Stranger mentioned, this is the very first episode of GCCX I ever translated. Four years ago, back when raw GCCX on Youtube was scarce and I couldn't find any subbed GCCX to show my friends how awesome the show is, someone uploaded just the challenge portion. I translated it using Overstream. I then translated the first half of 53 Stations before all GCCX clips were taken off Youtube, and I got to finish the second half four years later for SAGCCX here.

ETA: Just a heads up -- this doesn't mean we're now going to start releasing episodes TVN previous released. Non-subbed eps are still number one priority; this was just a special case. Our original intention was to release the GnG trilogy on Halloween, but Clover ended up releasing Ghouls'n Ghosts early... However, the finale is coming soon...!

I can't wait to see Cho Makaimura/ Super Ghouls N Ghosts getet subbed. This is and the Rockman/Megaman games are my favorite series that Arino challenges. Can't wait for Arino to challenge Megaman 5.

MUTEkI
Oct 12, 2012

Mister Chief posted:

Hm, I was going to say one of the big problems with doing that is you can't play any light gun games with that, but as fun as it would be to see Arino trying Wild Guns, I think it's probably something that wouldn't transfer as well to the television since gun position isn't captured in the video feed...

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

zari-gani posted:

Oh my god, I did this, and it's shocking just how different it becomes and some of the things that they came up with. For the most part, it looks like they really simplified a lot of the text, although they came up with some weird responses too.

But I guess I'm mostly curious how they got this out of "I'm getting carsick?" It makes no sense, unless I'm missing something about Sasano.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Cemetry Gator posted:

But I guess I'm mostly curious how they got this out of "I'm getting carsick?" It makes no sense, unless I'm missing something about Sasano.

Usually I can guess how something got misheard, but I'm not sure about this one. Original line is "youtekita" (酔うてきた). My only guess is it was misheard as "yottekita" (寄ってきた) which means "[it's] coming," as in he's being targeted. But the way it's phrased in a question makes me think "ta" was misheard as "ka" (which would turn it into a question).

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Oct 31, 2012

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.

MUTEkI posted:

Hm, I was going to say one of the big problems with doing that is you can't play any light gun games with that, but as fun as it would be to see Arino trying Wild Guns, I think it's probably something that wouldn't transfer as well to the television since gun position isn't captured in the video feed...

Are you thinking of the wrong game? Wild Guns is not a lightgun game nor does it have anything that couldn't be captured.

MUTEkI
Oct 12, 2012

Keyboard Kid posted:

Are you thinking of the wrong game? Wild Guns is not a lightgun game nor does it have anything that couldn't be captured.

I have no idea what the hell I was thinking of apparently, because though it looks like what I'm thinking of, it's not that one. Did I hallucinate it?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Wild Gunman.

SuperMarrio
Mar 26, 2005

Those who live by capitalism must be prepared to die by it.

Happy Halloween GCCXers!! I can't wait to watch that GnG episode later on!

In the First Samurai episode, when Arino imitates the sounds of the Dragons- "AAA-oooo"- so awesome. I loved that game as a kid & made pretty much the same drat noise.

Oh, mondo!

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Oh mondo, my sword!!

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
The promotion of Shenmue Online in this episode really hurts me every time I see it.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

JamMasterJim posted:

The promotion of Shenmue Online in this episode really hurts me every time I see it.

It's gonna be amazing! He swears it!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

JamMasterJim posted:

You can get all the current information on it at this site.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
When you release the Super GNG sub later, I will watch the trilogy and the AVGN Ghouls N Ghosts epiosode as a marathon.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Shenmue Online was that Korean game where Ryo turns into a phoenix to fight dragon-Lan Di, right?

While we're on the subject, here's a trailer for the Korean Makaimura MMO:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rexy0wWEGsw

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Oh boy, we just got a completed translation for an episode that I've been looking forward to getting done for a long time. It's probably going to be the second release down the pipe...

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.

JamMasterJim posted:

This'll ease the pain:
How Shenmue Was Meant to End with Yu Suzuki
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar0KojxIvmQ

take_it_slow
Jul 7, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

You can get all the current information on it at this site.

If you're going to crush someone's dreams, you may as well get the url right.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

They've got details on episode 149 up. The game is the pretty obscure Kickle Cubicle. And it sounds like the Bar Code Battler is going to finally determine which is better: Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
As always, the GNG episode was awesome and I thank you guys for the billionth time (or however many episodes you guys have translated up to this point). :)

Also, the Retro Game Master USA page posted this on Facebook.

quote:

from the Kacho and the producer KAN. "I would like to hear, if US fans liked our DVD or not?"
Hopefully, this means that they're interested in doing more DVD sets, which I (and I'm sure most, if not all, of us) think they definitely should. :)

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

They've got details on episode 149 up. The game is the pretty obscure Kickle Cubicle.

As one of the 4 people who played through this game when it came out I'm greatly looking forward to this. :allears:

Robodemon
Sep 14, 2008

Random Stranger posted:

Kickle Cubicle

drat, I loved this game when I was a kid. I knew someone who pronounced Cubicle Q-Bickle instead of how you would say office cubicle and it really annoyed kid me.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

univbee posted:

As one of the 4 people who played through this game when it came out I'm greatly looking forward to this. :allears:

One of 4 reporting in! I beat this game when I was a kid.

makere
Jan 14, 2012
From RGM USA Facebook page:

quote:

from the Kacho and the producer KAN. "I would like to hear, if US fans liked our DVD or not?"

It's really baffling how Arino managed to spend so much time against the red arimer in GnG, the other day, I played against it for the first time ever, and beat it on my second try...

makere fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Nov 1, 2012

InsaneDavid
Oct 22, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

While we're on the subject, here's a trailer for the Korean Makaimura MMO:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rexy0wWEGsw

Um.. wow. At least it looks to be primarily side scrolling. Makes me feel less ashamed I couldn't complete the Saturn Capcom Generation 2 Makaimura trifecta yesterday; fatigue set in during the second loop of Cho Makaimura and I called it a night. Thanks for the Makaimura love with this translation!

On a related note here's a Ghosts 'n Goblins / Makaimura ceramic fruit bowl my girlfriend drew and painted last year -

The inside depicts the six stages of the game and the final objective in the center.

The outside depicts the game's opening.

For size reference.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

They've got details on episode 149 up. The game is the pretty obscure Kickle Cubicle.

That's awesome. Kickle Cubicle is a great puzzle game.

InsaneDavid posted:

On a related note here's a Ghosts 'n Goblins / Makaimura ceramic fruit bowl my girlfriend drew and painted last year -

Cool bowl. I kinda love that he's wearing briefs instead of boxers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Allen Wren posted:

Wild Gunman.

There's not a heck of a lot to that game. On the other hand, I keep hoping that Arino finds an original 1974 Wild Gunman machine somewhere just because I want to see one that works