Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

I AM CURRENTLY JACKING OFF TO PICTURES OF MUTILATED FEMALE CORPSES, IT'S ALL VERY DEEP AND SOPHISTICATED BUT IT'S JUST TOO FUCKING HIGHBROW FOR YOU NON-MISOGYNISTS TO UNDERSTAND

:siren:P.S. STILL COMPLETELY DEVOID OF MERIT:siren:
If you're feeling bad about your commander experience, let me tell you about my first time in the Marine chair during the beta. After giving a warning about being new com, I got in and did IP/Armory/Obs... but my buildings kept disappearing. I couldn't figure it out, and thought it was glitch, or aliens, or something.

Then I noticed the shortcut for recycle is V.
I had bound V to my push-to-talk button. :negative:

It is impossible for you to do worse your first time in chair than I did. So :getin:

Guesticles fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Nov 2, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Bolow posted:

Well until voogru shits up the game with his stupid loving plugins

I remember I LOVED the voogru server and today have absolutely no recollection why I did. What was it?

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Guesticles posted:

If you're feeling bad about your commander experience, let me tell you about my first time in the Marine chair during the beta. After giving a warning about being new com, I got in and did IP/Armory/Obs... but my buildings kept disappearing. I couldn't figure it out, and thought it was glitch, or aliens, or something.

It is impossible for you to do worse your first time in chair than I did. So :getin:

Don't feel bad, had a comm earlier who also had his voicechat bound to V and kept cancelling upgrades. "What? No, I swore I got welders. What the fu.. oh. Oops."

Though too much time in skyrim has made me think that rightclicking is bad and that I can move around the map with WASD for some reason. Few more games and hopefully I'll iron that out.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Diogines posted:

I remember I LOVED the voogru server and today have absolutely no recollection why I did. What was it?

lovely admin who graced the NS community with a bunch of lovely server plugins that infested practically every server.

The only server that wasn't a complete poo poo show by the time 3.0 hit was Nano-Grid and maybe like 2 others.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Bolow posted:

lovely admin who graced the NS community with a bunch of lovely server plugins that infested practically every server.

The only server that wasn't a complete poo poo show by the time 3.0 hit was Nano-Grid and maybe like 2 others.

That's not my recollection of voogru's servers. Most of the plugins they ran weren't that intrusive and some even found there way into the base game by the time 3.0 rolled out. It was also one of the only places that was 28/32 players and almost always full.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Anything over 18 players was loving terrible in NS 1.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Guesticles posted:

Haha, this is exactly what happened to me. I even checked the binds beforehand to try and make sure something like that wouldn't happen.

We still won the match, though!

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

NS2 really needs some variety. I think what Natural Selection 2 REALLY needs a new alien, like a Scorpian that hovars without flapping. Would be amazing.

BrandNew
May 16, 2007

Get me my BLUE WINDBREAKER!
Sure would be cool if I didn't get disconnected while on something like a 30 killstreak as an onos.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

That's not my recollection of voogru's servers. Most of the plugins they ran weren't that intrusive and some even found there way into the base game by the time 3.0 rolled out. It was also one of the only places that was 28/32 players and almost always full.

Voogru made a lot of obnoxious loving mods that eventually lead to the proliferation of Combat and eventually killed NS1.

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA

Guesticles posted:

That was exactly my experience as well.

In general I find that gridkeys just aren't working very well in NS... Primarily I super super want WASD to move around with. It also leaves you no friggin room for a voice key in a useful place (that isn't already the fairly important vertical stack of ~, tab, shift, ctrl). I settled on Q as it is the least disastrous commander action...

I think it would help to have separate settings for aliens vs marines vs commander.

Also shift clicking for multiple selection.

Also hitting a control group twice to center to it. Also spacebar doesn't always work.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
Double click to select all similar units on screen, that's a good one.

edit: this exists I mean

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA
Yeah though it should also do that for Ctrl+Click to fall in line with RTS conventions.

Also... All the little icons and pointers really need to be much much bigger and stand out more. Both for the players (like the thread and repair icons) as well as the little commander "suggestion" icons. It's really easy to click them without realizing and then wonder why you researched mines vs lerks.

Krenzo
Nov 10, 2004

Ecco the Dolphin posted:

those blobs seem much less effective for territorial control than web was

You just reminded me of my favorite ability from NS1, and now I'm sad because it's not in NS2. :(

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA
Also the chomp sound for the skulk (like, when you actually hit something) is waaaaayyyyy too quiet. I miss the satisfying crunch of ns1 - it's throwing me off far more than I thought possible.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Drone_Fragger posted:

NS2 really needs some variety. I think what Natural Selection 2 REALLY needs a new alien, like a Scorpian that hovars without flapping. Would be amazing.

Yes what NS needs is a tired lovely meme from 7 years ago
:frogout:

Tark
Sep 29, 2005
Anyone having issues with their microphone? Mine works everywhere else, but not a peep in NS2. Yes, I'm using the transmit key as well.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Tark posted:

Anyone having issues with their microphone? Mine works everywhere else, but not a peep in NS2. Yes, I'm using the transmit key as well.

Turning off "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device" on my mic in the windows control panel finally let me talk.

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
Man, was just having an awesomely even game when the server disconnected.

Obiter dictum
Sep 8, 2008
What, you guys don't like lerklift and xlevels? :cool:

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
I remember Voogru for his TFC mods which loving ruled, and then he put the anti script stuff into NS1 and I don't remember anything after that

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Just danced like a pro with 3 skulks in the Lava Falls on Refinery.

They all launched themselves off of the catwalk and into the molten metal below, I didn't get bitten once :clint:

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Bolow posted:

Yes what NS needs is a tired lovely meme from 7 years ago
:frogout:

He has something of a point though NS2 needs something more for aliens. Like a big sort of creature that maybe could swallow guys. :mad:

No I'm not mad they took out the onos' best loving ability why would I be mad at that...

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

randombattle posted:

He has something of a point though NS2 needs something more for aliens. Like a big sort of creature that maybe could swallow guys. :mad:

No I'm not mad they took out the onos' best loving ability why would I be mad at that...

Thats right marine, stare at that onos anus

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Bolow posted:

lovely admin who graced the NS community with a bunch of lovely server plugins
I think the question being asked is what those plugins actually were.

CrunchyTaco
Dec 25, 2007

Goodpancakes posted:

Thats right marine, stare at that onos anus

Here's a medpack for you marine, that onos won't know what the gently caress.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Arrath posted:

Just danced like a pro with 3 skulks in the Lava Falls on Refinery.

They all launched themselves off of the catwalk and into the molten metal below, I didn't get bitten once :clint:

That would be because the skulk biting hit detection is complete trash. The only alien hit detection that seems even remotely good is the fades one.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Drone_Fragger posted:

That would be because the skulk biting hit detection is complete trash. The only alien hit detection that seems even remotely good is the fades one.

Something I've been wondering is if they might ever add in a "glancing blow" feature to the marines' folding axe similar to the one for the skulks' bite.

It would make sense to me... :shrug:

CrunchyTaco
Dec 25, 2007

Alehkhs posted:

Something I've been wondering is if they might ever add in a "glancing blow" feature to the marines' folding axe similar to the one for the skulks' bite.

It would make sense to me... :shrug:

Us Axe-men don't need no pussy buff.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Drone_Fragger posted:

While I agree that biting can be a pain in the rear end, the point of the post was that in their spastic circle strafing they all jumped down into the lava :colbert:

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Splicer posted:

I think the question being asked is what those plugins actually were.

Yeah, no kidding.

quote:

Voogru was the first to implement a Shared Resource Pool for the aliens, a health-giving-armoury (medarmoury), night vision, Fireworks, Signs, recycling of alien structures, manual siege, Phase Select and Chat variables. Many people mistakenly believe some of his other plug-ins included LerkLift and MvMfix, which is incorrect. Later Voogru became part of the official Natural Selection mod team, introducing features such as the inate health regeneration.

http://www.experiencefestival.com/a/Natural_Selection_computer_game_-_Modifications/id/1792663#.UJRVMsXA_54

Lerklift let lerks pick up gorges and fly with them.

Vertigus fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Nov 3, 2012

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Drone_Fragger posted:

Skulk hit detection is actually better than it has been at any other point, so unless something broke just recently in 228 it's just you.

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy
New patch has really hit my FPS hard. I was getting 30-50 FPS on release day, and now I am getting 5-20 FPS.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
After a few rounds, I have to say that I absolutely love the lerk. The flight mechanic is easy enough to pick up by anyone, yet deep enough to have some real fun as you get more comfortable with it. On those big open maps (Docking, Refinery) you can really harass an entire marine team and not get caught. Those ceilings and nooks are amazing to hide in.

Had a match where the marines were holed up in one tech point. So no exos. Though, they somehow kept enough rez to keep GL spamming anything near the entrances, so we couldn't get in.

Lerk spore to the rescue. Fly up high and fast and just fart all over the base and let it settle, giggle as you get a few kills from it.

sturgeon general
Jun 27, 2005

Smells like sushi.
Another goon server coming up:

Party Princess Palace

DirtyOldDishrag
May 16, 2009

Addict posted:

Also, I hope this is cool, but I have a copy of NS2 that I am willing to flip for $18. My steam id is http://steamcommunity.com/id/addict

Sold! Thanks man.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

randombattle posted:

I agree. 20 second timeouts on top of the existing respawn timer are an excellent feature in an FPS game, even better than TF2's original take on the Sandman.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Yeah, "onos anus" was another hot-button topic that was discussed at length on the NS2 forums for ages. At the end of the day I think it's better to err in favor of keeping the action going for everyone -- arguments can be made for and against prolonged crowd control in an FPS, personally I'm against.

Plus, a big reason it existed was as a counter for heavies and also a way to break hard turtles. Exos don't need to be countered by devour in NS2 and there are a ton of other ways to break a Marine turtle.

speng31b fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Nov 3, 2012

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

quote:

Voogru was the first to implement a Shared Resource Pool for the aliens, a health-giving-armoury (medarmoury), night vision, Fireworks, Signs, recycling of alien structures, manual siege, Phase Select and Chat variables. Many people mistakenly believe some of his other plug-ins included LerkLift and MvMfix, which is incorrect. Later Voogru became part of the official Natural Selection mod team, introducing features such as the inate health regeneration.

That's weird, I could swear that the shared resource pool for aliens in NS1 was always there. As I recall, with 1 hive every alien except the gorge could hold a max of 33 resources, and once they maxed out their resources overflowed to the other aliens on the team. So one player would go gorge and save for a hive, and the other aliens would let their resources max out so the gorge could put up the hive faster. Of course it wasn't a great system because if some newbie also went gorge at the same time as your team's main gorge it could really gently caress the team over because they'd be getting half the resources ocne the rest of the team was overflowing. Eventually it was switched to everyone's max being 100 resources, so overflow was no longer very relevant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I'd be fine with being eaten by an onos, if I could pull the pin on a hand grenade while I'm in there.

• Locked thread