Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
On normal through hard, make sure you are square in front of it and aim at where its "nose" would be (this varies with each event model but it should be close to center of the oval). As point of reference, on the normal surgical mask scrake model, I aim near the top line of its mask.

On suicidal and hell on earth, make the first shot as normal which will stun the scrake instead of outright killing him. Now take a moment to reacquire your aim and wait because you have a generous 5-8 seconds before he charges, but if you gently caress up he'll come barreling at you immediately. His head will be shaking from side to side now. This is the most important part: the right moment to hit him again is when his head is in line with the rest of his body, i.e. centered and facing you; hitting him while he's glancing to either side will just piss him off. Again, make sure your aim is centered on the "nose" to put him down. Sometimes his head might be tilted down, in which case you want to hit him at the jutting peak of his forehead.

(This is assuming you are asking about the crossbow, of course)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Circle Nine
Mar 1, 2009

But that’s how it is when you start wanting to have things. Now, I just look at them, and when I go away I carry them in my head. Then my hands are always free, because I don’t have to carry a suitcase.
Is it possible to do last years halloween event achievements during this event?

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power

Circle Nine posted:

Is it possible to do last years halloween event achievements during this event?

Nope. The stuff for custom zeds won't work because they're different this year.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

moot the hopple posted:

On normal through hard, make sure you are square in front of it and aim at where its "nose" would be (this varies with each event model but it should be close to center of the oval). As point of reference, on the normal surgical mask scrake model, I aim near the top line of its mask.

On suicidal and hell on earth, make the first shot as normal which will stun the scrake instead of outright killing him. Now take a moment to reacquire your aim and wait because you have a generous 5-8 seconds before he charges, but if you gently caress up he'll come barreling at you immediately. His head will be shaking from side to side now. This is the most important part: the right moment to hit him again is when his head is in line with the rest of his body, i.e. centered and facing you; hitting him while he's glancing to either side will just piss him off. Again, make sure your aim is centered on the "nose" to put him down. Sometimes his head might be tilted down, in which case you want to hit him at the jutting peak of his forehead.

(This is assuming you are asking about the crossbow, of course)

Usually what I do for Sui/HoE is shoot once, let his head droop (or shake), aim where his head is going to be and the moment he raises it back up pop it off before he can charge.

And then my friend asks me how I can headshot them so consistently. :v:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Abandoned Toaster posted:

Usually what I do for Sui/HoE is shoot once, let his head droop (or shake), aim where his head is going to be and the moment he raises it back up pop it off before he can charge.

And then my friend asks me how I can headshot them so consistently. :v:

And that friend is me. I still don't know how you do it.

We WILL KF tonight btw, no maybes this time, join or face the consequences. :argh:

And try not to break the birdcage this time.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I'm gettin' in the Birdcage now. Let's do this, Goons.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Do any AusGoons hit the Birdcage? If so, what are the pings like?

Severed
Jul 9, 2001

idspispopd

alg posted:

I'm gettin' in the Birdcage now. Let's do this, Goons.

I always miss the chance to play with Goons :(

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Severed posted:

I always miss the chance to play with Goons :(

I missed the earlier game, but I'm down for some right now if you want

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

aight shitlords. If I don't go out tonight I'm runnin' a sweetass game on Birdcage tonight at 10PM EST.

edit: foreigners welcome.

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature
As of about 15 minutes ago there's a new update that will allow people to unlock the previous Halloween achievements (including the Commando Chicken) until the end of the event.

Have fun!

WOLF KIDULT MAN
Jun 13, 2008

Questioner86 posted:

As of about 15 minutes ago there's a new update that will allow people to unlock the previous Halloween achievements (including the Commando Chicken) until the end of the event.

Have fun!

I was wondering about this, I unlocked Trick, Not Treat just now and figured it was a bug, as I played two Bedlam matches last night without any of the achievements tracking. Time to unlock Commando Chicken.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

so the new update hosed over Birdcage. working to restore it now.

edit: should be good now.

alg fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Nov 3, 2012

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

When I shit I like to scream "WORSHIP THE GOD EMPEROR ON HIS GOLDEN THRONE." Mom hates it.

Really enjoying the trench gun.
Is it best used with support or the firebug perk?
Not sure how the various bonuses will stack.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

cat with hands posted:

Really enjoying the trench gun.
Is it best used with support or the firebug perk?
Not sure how the various bonuses will stack.

Firebug gets reload speed and ammo count, support gets penetration bonus.

Meow Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Nov 4, 2012

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Have pubbies gotten better at this game? The last time I seriously played KF was over a year ago, and they were terrible at the game. Getting to the final waves was often down to luck. It made co-op frustrating.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

closeted republican posted:

Have pubbies gotten better at this game? The last time I seriously played KF was over a year ago, and they were terrible at the game. Getting to the final waves was often down to luck. It made co-op frustrating.
It depends on the difficulty, but maybe its you bro. :ssh:

Raneman
Dec 24, 2010

by T. Finninho
So I tried out the "Infected Soldiers" mod on the workshop with a few friends, at wave 7/10 a ninja sidestepped back and forth at 200mph, did nothing, and eventually died. This is why I love mods. :allears:

My friends and I are now trying to mod the game to the point of being unrecognizable, throwing in so many mutators until eventually the server just crashes on startup.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Raneman posted:

So I tried out the "Infected Soldiers" mod on the workshop with a few friends, at wave 7/10 a ninja sidestepped back and forth at 200mph, did nothing, and eventually died. This is why I love mods. :allears:

My friends and I are now trying to mod the game to the point of being unrecognizable, throwing in so many mutators until eventually the server just crashes on startup.
You should look for "Endangereds Server" in the server browser, you'll have to uncheck "Enable Perks" in the server filters though. They have about 10 perks and a LOT of added weapons and new zeds. You can rank your perk up to level 60 and the server has 24 or 32 player slots, I forget which but I usually see around 8-15 people there. Rounds get pretty crazy and Ive only seen their version of the patriarch killed 3 or 4 times. Its fun if youre getting a little bored of vanilla KF.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

closeted republican posted:

In all honesty it depends on the difficulty you play and most of the time they're god awful most of the time. I would say my average experience on HOE is either joining a game and it's a berserker superstar soloing the map while the other 5 members are dead, its an outright wipe by wave 6, or the team works ok together but wipe on 9 or 10. I would saying winning in pubs in the harder modes is the exception, not the norm. I need to start bookmarking servers that lock out the low perks, because thats where I usually tend to win.

Surprisingly though, hard mode is where I've found the absolute worst players. I'm guessing it's just because the leap from normal to hard is probably the biggest difficulty jump in my opinion as far as "I can do this without any help!". Suicidal and HoE feel like the same mode most of the time to me.

final consideration is that the closer to a special event (like now) you are, the more the servers will have a majority of inexperienced players, joining through browser (no difficulty filter) and such. I noticed back in september it was mostly experienced players and I had a lot better luck.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy

Raneman posted:

Me and my friends play with the low grav mod set as low as it goes, Poundamonium, and The Server Perks set to level 100. Then we all go demolitions and fly around popping FleshPounds in mid air with the grenade launchers.

Edit: We call it 'Fleshpound Pasta Party'... none of us knows why.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

I've been a busy little bee today :clint:

if anyone wants to play at 9PM EST, I'll be gettin' on.

Tyskil
Jan 28, 2009
Just got this game recently, I avoided it for forever because someone convinced me it was a lovely Left for dead reskin of Counter Strike. That guy is dumb and this game is great, goddamn.

Does the Trenchgun get any bonuses from the support class? I keep hearing it does, but I got in a server earlier where I had to basically solo a fleshpound because everyone else ran off to who-knows-the-gently caress-where and the only guy that stuck around was too busy screaming at the top of his lungs into his mic about how the Trenchgun is a firebug weapon and I am going to make them lose the game!

One of the other guys found us though and we didn't die and then the angry pubbie shut up, so I don't know? I swear it got cheaper when I leveled up support but I could just be dumb.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

^It gets support penetration bonuses, but not damage bonuses. So you can set multiple dudes on fire with one shot, I think it's pretty rad for a support, sharp, and even berserker. Trenchgun just seems to be all around awesome. It does about on par damage -a bit less- than support pump shotgun. The flarevolvers are fantastic offperk too.

Meow Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Nov 4, 2012

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

When I shit I like to scream "WORSHIP THE GOD EMPEROR ON HIS GOLDEN THRONE." Mom hates it.

Meow Tse-tung posted:

^It gets support penetration bonuses, but not damage bonuses. So you can set multiple dudes on fire with one shot, but you won't be doing as much burn damage as a firebug. I think it's pretty rad for a support, sharp, and even berserker. Trenchgun just seems to be all around awesome. It does about on par damage -a bit less- than support pump shotgun. The flarevolvers are fantastic offperk too.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the trench gun has a higher pellet count (weaker individual pellets) and thus won't decap the weaker specimens (with single pellets) on hard and above?

Together with getting neither damage nor burn bonus that seems like a big deterrent to taking it off perk.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

cat with hands posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the trench gun has a higher pellet count (weaker individual pellets) and thus won't decap the weaker specimens (with single pellets) on hard and above?

Together with getting neither damage nor burn bonus that seems like a big deterrent to taking it off perk.

I had a brain fart on the burn damage. It actually doesn't scale with firebug burn damage at all. The only bonus firebug gets is reload speed and extra ammo. It's really wonky, and I don't think it's intended to be this way, but it gets a 1.5 fire multiplier no matter what perk uses it. So every class using it is exactly as damaging as a firebug, but FB can reload faster. That makes it a hell of a support offperk weapon. It does do less damage per pellet though, so yeah, that's something to consider.

It's worked fantastic as a berserker. It can set the fleshpound on fire without raging it, set stuff on fire from across the map, deal with crawler hordes easily. so its a nice "fire into the crowd to take out husks and sirens" (because, another bug, husks take full burn damage from it) kind of weapon when you're bored of LARing it up. I'm not sure about decapping for sharps on suicidal or HoE. I haven't tried it yet.

edit: Just tested it in 6 man HoE as a level 6 sharp to confirm: Basically it one shots most trash really easily, burn damage is identical to firebug on every perk. So its pretty cool for trash cleanup and crawler hordes if you want some variety and are tired of LAR/EBRing it up.

Meow Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Nov 4, 2012

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Meow Tse-tung posted:

(because, another bug, husks take full burn damage from it)
I don't think that's a bug, Husks only have a damage resistance against the flamethrower, not all sources of fire damage.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

Alereon posted:

I don't think that's a bug, Husks only have a damage resistance against the flamethrower, not all sources of fire damage.

The way I understand it is it's just a bunch of weird code issues. They're supposed to be resistant to burn damage and it resists the flamethrower, husk gun, and fire grenade, but the mac-10, trench gun and flarevolver works fine. It's just wonky and nonsensical.

Meow Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Nov 4, 2012

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Just a heads up, the entire KF pack with all the DLCs and this is currently 75% off on steam.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

I sent a shitload of whitelisted maps over to Birdcage. They should download off my webhost so downloads should be fast. Let me know if any go slow.

For some reason it's showing up as not VAC secured, I'm not really sure why. It says VAC Secured in the command line.

edit: fixed it.

alg fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Nov 5, 2012

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

alg posted:

I sent a shitload of whitelisted maps over to Birdcage. They should download off my webhost so downloads should be fast. Let me know if any go slow.

For some reason it's showing up as not VAC secured, I'm not really sure why. It says VAC Secured in the command line.

Hmm, interesting. I've been having a lot of issues with the filters since the hillbilly patch. Hearching now gives me 0/6 and 6/6 servers and higher pings than I requested, as well as occasionally completely different difficulties. I wonder if they borked something.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Didn't see there was a Halloween event going on, but I haven't played since last year. Still going to get down on this tonight, like a scruuuub.

Kiryuin Satsuki
Mar 1, 2011

Yeah, the trench gun is awesome. It with flare revolver and mac10 make a pretty fun loadout for firebug that is effective as well. I don't really like it all that much on support since it leads to burning zeds blocking your vision instead of blasting them all down like the pump does, but it can still be fun to mess around with.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

As a medic should I just buy dual 9mms and wait for the 2nd/3rd tier medic gun?

The third tier will basically one-three shot any non-tough as hell zed on Normal, whereas the normal medic gun feels like the starting pistol with a heal attachment.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

Bobnumerotres posted:

The third tier will basically one-three shot any non-tough as hell zed on Normal, whereas the normal medic gun feels like the starting pistol with a heal attachment.

Medic is super versatile. On normal a crossbow will serve you well since it lets you kill scrakes super easily. Other than that just go hog wild with whatever works. I tend to just think of the medic gun as a dart delivery system and then use stuff like LAR, crossbow, Hunting shotgun, MK.23, flarevolvers and whatever suits the team we have. Mp5 is a nice middle ground of weight/power, and third medic rifle is awesome for clearing trash, but heavy. I use the medic rifle/LAR pretty commonly

Meow Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Nov 6, 2012

Mushball
May 23, 2012

Meow Tse-tung posted:

Medic is super versatile. On normal a crossbow will serve you well since it lets you kill scrakes super easily. Other than that just go hog wild with whatever works. I tend to just think of the medic gun as a dart delivery system and then use stuff like LAR, crossbow, Hunting shotgun, MK.23, flarevolvers and whatever suits the team we have. Mp5 is a nice middle ground of weight/power, and third medic rifle is awesome for clearing trash, but heavy. I use the medic rifle/LAR pretty commonly

How useful will the crossbow be on hard and higher for medics? I probably can't one-shot them as medic but can I waste skrakes and flesh pounds in a pinch?

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

Mushball posted:

How useful will the crossbow be on hard and higher for medics? I probably can't one-shot them as medic but can I waste skrakes and flesh pounds in a pinch?

On hard you can still stun them with crossbow headshots, and thats the important part of scrake killing. On sui/hoe it won't stun them, so I focus more on taking out trash mobs on those difficulties and leaving them to other classes.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

Bobnumerotres posted:

Dual 9mm? No.

Go LAR for a cheap, reliable weapon that can carry you through half the game on its own until you build up enough cash, or if you need more space, a single .44 Magnum or MK23 pistol. My personal loadout is M7A3, M79 launcher, and .44/MK23. Works pretty well, albeit a bit pricey.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Meow Tse-tung posted:

On sui/hoe it won't stun them, so I focus more on taking out trash mobs on those difficulties and leaving them to other classes.

With medic guns, Medics are basically weaker Commandos that heal whenever they can instead of making sure that they kill every topless punk girl with cloaking that appears in a map. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
One of my friends who always plays medic typically goes with the 6-shot grenade launcher. If anyone's going to solo the pat it's usually him. But that's because he genuinely is a poo poo medic who doesn't heal anyone and just uses the perk for run speed and better armor.

• Locked thread