Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

I said come in! posted:

Spartan Ops is Firefight renamed. The game comes with 5 missions and there will be 5 new missions each week for 10 weeks and they will be free.

It's exactly like firefight where you just fight waves of enemies? That's cool.

BillyJoeBob posted:

Are the twiggy little robo-arms back? This is the most important part.

Yes this is a good question too this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meat Mitts
May 28, 2012
Where are you guys ordering from to get the game so early? I usually order from Amazon (US) and can never get games before the release date, regardless of shipping method.

Meat Mitts fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Nov 3, 2012

HP Artsandcrafts
Oct 3, 2012

BillyJoeBob posted:

Are the twiggy little robo-arms back? This is the most important part.

The real question is do I have to pay for different visor colors for my space Barbie again?

I guess this will be my first experience playing with goons (Unless some of you are still playing Forza 4). It'll be good to play with someone other than random people who can't comprehend flanking.

Unfortunately, the earliest I'll have Halo 4 is next weekend or at worst Christmas.

HP Artsandcrafts fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Nov 3, 2012

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
What the heck are the twiggy little robot arms?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Meat Mitts posted:

Where are you guys ordering from to get the game so early? I usually order from Amazon (US) and can never get games before the release date, regardless of shipping method.

I guess the people getting it early are buying it from mom and pop stores, or live in other countries where release dates are not serious business. If you order in the U.S. from any of the major retail chains, or online stores, you will not get it until release day at the earliest.

Namaste
May 5, 2007
good news for people who love bald news

Sultan Tarquin posted:

What the heck are the twiggy little robot arms?

In Reach you could have a robotic arm, like Kat's in campaign, across several different chest pieces.

But it's not in Halo 4, unless all the armor charts that have leaked out are missing armor, or they can add armor via DLC.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

-A n i m 8- posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6HQteJNk3A

I like it. 1 hour and 17 minutes long as well.

Oh man I haven't been this exited for a game since 2007. Halo 3

This is the only time in my life I'm contemplating going to a midnight release.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

FishBulb posted:

Yes this is a good question too this.

I wouldn't call SOPS an exact copy of Firefight. It's rather story driven. For my money they do tend to throw way more enemies at you in SOPS than they do in the single-player, so thats cool. Personally I am torn. I like Halo lore stuff so the story bits scratch that itch, but I do miss regular firefight too.

Meat Mitts
May 28, 2012

I said come in! posted:

I guess the people getting it early are buying it from mom and pop stores, or live in other countries where release dates are not serious business. If you order in the U.S. from any of the major retail chains, or online stores, you will not get it until release day at the earliest.
poo poo, I guess I'm never seeing a new game before its official release date then.

I'm only 20 minutes into the Halo 4 soundtrack, but it sounds more like the soundtrack to a Pirates of the Caribbean movie than a Halo game. I think it sounds good, but I was expecting it to sound more Halo-ey (sorry, I'm not a music person, not sure how else to put it).

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Nothing will be better than Truth and Reconciliation from the Combat Evolved Soundtrack.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

I said come in! posted:

Nothing will be better than Truth and Reconciliation from the Combat Evolved Soundtrack.

Except for some of the slow jazzy tracks from ODST, but for totally different reasons.

BabyMauler
Sep 19, 2005
New mission, find Conan in Halo 4. Punch him dead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GflJB-aM0wI

thetrin
May 4, 2009

I pull down the curtain, wantin to do me some dirtin aint nuthin better then jerkin my gerkin so I start with some flirtin

But my magic find aint working so I can't do no spurtin its got Wirt's feelins all hurtin, and his wooden leg stops all perking

FishBulb posted:

I was under the impression that SpOps was more objective-based than firefight. Is it just Firefight with cutscenes and story?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

thetrin posted:

I was under the impression that SpOps was more objective-based than firefight. Is it just Firefight with cutscenes and story?

That's the impression I got. I don't remember any reviews mentioning objectives. It sounds like they are pretty short, I think the gamespot? review said they were about 5 - 7 minutes long with not a lot of reason to go back and replay them. So I think in some ways Firefight is still better. The trade off is we get more.

Anim8, is 343 open to the idea of adding more game modes via DLC? You guys should bring back Firefight anyways. :hellyeah:

Meat Mitts
May 28, 2012

I said come in! posted:

The Halo 3 version of "Truth and Reconciliation" happens on the level "The Ark," when Forward Unto Dawn lands and drops off some tanks. That was one of my favorite moments in Halo 3. It was a combination of the awesome music, seeing Forward Unto Dawn get bigger and bigger as it lands and the wind effects, and of course getting some scorpions.

Its the part at the beginning of this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TLlQpqTg6o

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Tuesday can't get here fast enough. I need to shoot all the bullets into I said come in!'s face.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Tuesday can't get here fast enough. I need to shoot all the bullets into I said come in!'s face.

You'll have to wait! I don't think i'll get my copy until the end of next week.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

I said come in! posted:

You'll have to wait! I don't think i'll get my copy until the end of next week.

No worries. I'm terrible at FPS stuff so it's not like I'll be too far off in levels. :v:

Namaste
May 5, 2007
good news for people who love bald news
The full intro to Spartan Ops:

http://youtu.be/47lQ4WPCHcY

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Namaste posted:

UUUNNNNGGGGGFFFFFF :fap:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Most of the CGI cutscenes are up on Youtube now. The only thing Microsoft is throwing their copyright claims around on are the ending cutscenes.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Meat Mitts posted:

The Halo 3 version of "Truth and Reconciliation" happens on the level "The Ark," when Forward Unto Dawn lands and drops off some tanks. That was one of my favorite moments in Halo 3. It was a combination of the awesome music, seeing Forward Unto Dawn get bigger and bigger as it lands and the wind effects, and of course getting some scorpions.

Its the part at the beginning of this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TLlQpqTg6o

God this makes me nostalgic. Halo 3's campaign was just so good. Really hope 4 is as replayable.

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010
Tank beats everything :haw:

I'm really looking forward to Spartan Ops, I hope it isn't lackluster. Terrorist Hunt in RSV was one of my favourite game modes ever, I just love persistant co-op.

BabyMauler
Sep 19, 2005
I really want to play Dominion, like really bad. I just hope it is supported in the map expansions unlike Invasion.

Anyone with the game know how many Mantis you can spawn on a large map? Mantisry?

bend it like baked ham
Feb 16, 2009

Fries.
Anybody know of a good place to get a downloadable copy of Halo 1 or 2 for PC? I've never played Halo and wanted to give it a shot.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Local Resident posted:

Anybody know of a good place to get a downloadable copy of Halo 1 or 2 for PC? I've never played Halo and wanted to give it a shot.

Uh... piratebay?

I don't think they've ever been digitally distributed. You'll have to buy a CD copy, although that shouldn't be too hard to track down.

Turdo
Jun 15, 2012

A lot of what I've been hearing about multi player is that they want it to feel more like Halos 2 and 3 than Reach. Because of that I'm wondering if dual weilding is back. One of the trailers or behind the scenes video had a short clip of someone doing so, but it could have been footage from an earlier game. Are there any weapons other than the pistol and plasma pistol that fall into the category of one-handed guns?

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

There's no dual wielding. You can (and in fact have to) hold a magnum and a flag at the same time, but in every other situation it's one gun/object at a time.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Are the Spartan Ops missions always available or can you no longer access them after their week is over?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Always available.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
This is going to be the first Halo I'm not buying straight out of the gate, partly because of my money being tied up in other things for the end of the year, but mostly because I want to Gamefly it instead and see if this new story and everything else is going to be worth paying full price for. It should be shipping tomorrow, so I'll see you guys on Wednesday! (Unless they've gone the way of screwing renters out of MP like everyone else)

Pigeon Shamus
Apr 14, 2010

There's a guard with a pair of swollen testicles who swears you wanted out of here.

Creepy Goat posted:

I'm really looking forward to Spartan Ops, I hope it isn't lackluster. Terrorist Hunt in RSV was one of my favourite game modes ever, I just love persistant co-op.

At this early stage, it's looking pretty lame-duck, to be honest. For something that was supposed to be a rich alternative narrative experience, it's pretty disappointingly written. It feels like the most uninspired parts of Call of Duty but in space.

War Games are awesome as hell though.

Agamembar
Jan 21, 2005

A USS Enterprise appears.
USS Enterprise uses 'Phaser Barrage'.
Its super effective.
Ok stuck waiting for Amazon uk to start sending it, prime delivery from my free month, is there a meta tag for spartan ops? I'm hoping I can get crews for that as it is co-op or I match making good enough?

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010

Pigeon Shamus posted:

At this early stage, it's looking pretty lame-duck, to be honest. For something that was supposed to be a rich alternative narrative experience, it's pretty disappointingly written. It feels like the most uninspired parts of Call of Duty but in space.

War Games are awesome as hell though.

Yeah I love co-op so I'm really worried about it not being up to scratch :ohdear: Hopefully 343 up the quality post-launch. I am excited for War Games too, shame about red/blue team colour schemes still being kept though.

Agamembar posted:

Ok stuck waiting for Amazon uk to start sending it, prime delivery from my free month, is there a meta tag for spartan ops? I'm hoping I can get crews for that as it is co-op or I match making good enough?

Waddup Amazon UK not-yet-dispatched buddy :hfive:. Don't think there is a meta tag just yet.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
This is going to be my first midnight release. Should I bring ramen and cocoa with me?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Bring a camera, take pictures of the people with you in line. Also their cars, if possible.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Booties posted:

This is going to be my first midnight release. Should I bring ramen and cocoa with me?

Mostly stuff to stave off boredom.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica

Booties posted:

The anticipation is worse than the nerds that are in the line.

So I just maxed out my bottle cap codes and reached 200 matches (max) of Double XP. Yay! When I pair it up with Pioneer I'm sure I'll get lots more!

Napolean Bonerfarts fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Nov 4, 2012

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

Namaste posted:

I could listen to Jennifer Hale boss me around all day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Booties posted:

Depends on where you're getting it from, really. My local Gamestop is insanely good at getting poo poo done on midnight releases. When I got in line for the Skyrim midnight release, I was at the end of a line that folded in on itself 3 or 4 times inside the store, went out the door, down the length of a couple other stores, and around the corner of the strip mall the store was located in, and I had my copy of Skyrim within half an hour. So if your place is equally good, you may just want to bring your iPod or something.

Of course, I can't guarantee that your place will beat to quarters quite as intensely, but it may not be as bad as you're expecting.

• Locked thread