Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.
Wow, normally when dogs are labeled 'collie mix', it's border collie rather than rough collie, because they're so rare nowadays, but yeah, I can definitely see rough collie in that dog. Collie/mutty LGD farm dog maybe?

I can see terrier qualities in the coat, but you can also get that same texture from poodles and curly-coated dogs, so it isn't an entirely terrier thing to have a wire coat. Terrier/rough collie could be a possibility, though, I'm not ruling it out, but maybe it's an abandoned attempt at a colliedoodle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhadamanthus
Dec 12, 2004

I roll a lotta sushi, roll 'em fat like John Belushi; call me Desi Arnaz, dogg, I love the Lucy.
I think the body shape is wrong for collie poodle - compare him to Solomon on the last page.

Tiny Faye
Feb 17, 2005

Are you ready for an ORGAN SOLO?!

Captain Foxy posted:

Wow, normally when dogs are labeled 'collie mix', it's border collie rather than rough collie, because they're so rare nowadays, but yeah, I can definitely see rough collie in that dog. Collie/mutty LGD farm dog maybe?

I can see terrier qualities in the coat, but you can also get that same texture from poodles and curly-coated dogs, so it isn't an entirely terrier thing to have a wire coat. Terrier/rough collie could be a possibility, though, I'm not ruling it out, but maybe it's an abandoned attempt at a colliedoodle?

Where are you located? I'm in New England and see rough collies pretty frequently. Not like..."lab/golden/GSD frequently", but I don't think they're that rare, at least around here. I don't think rough collie/pyranese is too far fetched but it's hard to tell. The mouth is kind of Pyrenees-ish.

Chances are if he's got the ginormous paws he's part Pyrenees and not terrier....handsome devil whatever he is.
\/ \/ \/

Tiny Faye fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Oct 26, 2012

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
His paws are ENORMOUS so I have a feeling he's going to get a lot bigger and fill out, which is why I think he's mixed with something big in addition to possibly a terrier, but I don't think great pyrenees is it.

Here's another shot:

I'm in semi-rural Texas so farm dog mixes are pretty prevalent.

(edit: if anyone in Texas wants him he's up for adoption)

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
Ok goons, in every subject, be it sports/games/ politics/coding, I can always count on superb analysis an opinion here.

So I pose the question: What is the mix in my new pit mix?

Her name is Lexie, and we rescued her about a month ago. She's approximately 13 months old.

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

His paws are ENORMOUS so I have a feeling he's going to get a lot bigger and fill out, which is why I think he's mixed with something big in addition to possibly a terrier, but I don't think great pyrenees is it.

Here's another shot:

I'm in semi-rural Texas so farm dog mixes are pretty prevalent.

(edit: if anyone in Texas wants him he's up for adoption)
He kind of looks like Major with a pointier snout. I could see Great Pyr in him if someone told me that's what he is, wouldn't be my immediate thought though.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

6-Ethyl Bearcat posted:

He kind of looks like Major with a pointier snout. I could see Great Pyr in him if someone told me that's what he is, wouldn't be my immediate thought though.

Fun fact, Major was listed as a pyr mix (but isn't actually). That dog looks like a dog that would be labeled a pyr mix but doesn't look a whole lot like an actual pyr. Definitely could be a LGD/herding/general farm mix though. The face looks kind of terrier-y to me in addition to his rough coat.

aBagorn posted:

Ok goons, in every subject, be it sports/games/ politics/coding, I can always count on superb analysis an opinion here.

So I pose the question: What is the mix in my new pit mix?

Her name is Lexie, and we rescued her about a month ago. She's approximately 13 months old.

How big is she and do you have any pics from the side? Mostly just looks pit-y. Love those forehead wrinkles. She's so concerned :3:

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Instant Jellyfish posted:

How big is she and do you have any pics from the side? Mostly just looks pit-y. Love those forehead wrinkles. She's so concerned :3:

She's 36-38 lbs (up from 34 when we got her)

I'd try to take a side pic now but she's sleeping on my lap and it would look all distorted

Tiny Faye
Feb 17, 2005

aBagorn posted:

She's 36-38 lbs (up from 34 when we got her)

I'd try to take a side pic now but she's sleeping on my lap and it would look all distorted

I see a bit of black in the tail. Maybe a little bit GSD? GSD/Pit mixes are pretty common.

s'Ilancy
Jun 9, 2004

Drunk posting...oh God hang on...
Meet Juno.

She is part rocket and part something. She showed up at my door about four or five years back, and I had to take her in. I have no idea as to her age, but I suspect she was a few months shy of a year when she appeared. She had a rope tied around her neck that I couldn't even get my tiny fingers into, and my heart broke the moment she looked at me. I had to carefully cut the rope off since I didn't want to accidentally cut her, and ever since then she's been my faithful rocket-dog.

I bought her an Alabama jersey of her own; as much for her as it is for my husband since he loves Alabama. He even went so far as to explain how she would be the best safety ever.

joyfulgirl129
Aug 22, 2006

Dogs are assholes. Get two.

We adopted a two year old, fourteen pound couch potato that our puppy has latched onto like a sponge. He's slightly cross-eyed and our best guess is dachshund-something because he has a bark like a sonic boom and funny twisty front paws.

Here he is with the derpy puppy:

who cares
Jul 25, 2006

Doomsday Machine

This is my friends' pup. He's about 4 months old and probably around 25-30 pounds. They got him when he was around 10 weeks from a shelter who said his mother was a chocolate lab. He has always looked really pitbull-like to me. What do you guys think? Half pit half lab? Or was mom maybe a lab/pit mix to start with? Is there something else in there as well?

A Sleepy Budgie
Jan 6, 2010

A friend in need
is a friend indeed
:unsmith:
Looks mostly if not all lab to me. Those ears look so soft :3:

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
His head looks a little bully in the first shot, but yeah, probably mostly lab. Any body shots?

Tiny Faye
Feb 17, 2005

Yeah I'm inclined to say lab/pit too... mainly because the coat looks too short to be a lab coat. Gorgeous eyes though :)

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Tiny Faye posted:

Yeah I'm inclined to say lab/pit too... mainly because the coat looks too short to be a lab coat. Gorgeous eyes though :)

The eyes remind me of a Toller. None of the rest of him looks Tollerish thought, and they're pretty rare in the States so it's not a likely mix.

Damnskippy
Oct 7, 2003
This is my dog, Rorschach. I've had some pretty diverse guesses about his origins. I'd be curious to know what you all think. He weighs about 60 lbs, is very low energy, and is an all-around sweet dog.

Please disregard the nerdy mess in the background.

A little birthday excitement. He turned eight years old today (give or take). I adopted him from a local rescue two years ago.

This is a little game we like to call "Dog Burrito."

Sleeping with one of our cats, Sadie, on the couch. He was also watching me very closely because I hadn't quite been forgiven for bathing him earlier.

Damnskippy fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Nov 1, 2012

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Damnskippy posted:

This is my dog, Rorschach. I've had some pretty diverse guesses about his origins. I'd be curious to know what you all think. He weighs about 60lbs and is incredibly low key except when it comes to food.

He looks so much like my dog in this picture who is a saint bernard/cattle dog/something mix but for once I don't think your spotty dog is a cattle dog mix although I could very well be mistaken. ACDs are everywhere and ticking is highly variable. His spots are really nice and distinctly round so I'm going to go with either dalmatian or pointer mixed with something with a heavier build and with a thicker coat and that is clearly way mellower. Do you squish his floppy neck flab? Major has such squishable neck flab :3:

The more I look at him I could be persuaded he could be quarter ACD or just not have inherited the roaning. Seriously looks so much like my beast. You don't happen to be in Ohio do you?

joyfulgirl129 posted:

Dogs are assholes. Get two.

We adopted a two year old, fourteen pound couch potato that our puppy has latched onto like a sponge. He's slightly cross-eyed and our best guess is dachshund-something because he has a bark like a sonic boom and funny twisty front paws.

I'm going to go with dachshund/yorkie for your stubster.

s'Ilancy posted:

Meet Juno.
I bought her an Alabama jersey of her own; as much for her as it is for my husband since he loves Alabama. He even went so far as to explain how she would be the best safety ever.

That's super cute :3: I'm guessing she's just an ultra mutted up, Carolina dog-esque yellow dog.

Instant Jellyfish fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Nov 1, 2012

Damnskippy
Oct 7, 2003

He looks so much like my dog in this picture who is a saint bernard/cattle dog/something mix but for once I don't think your spotty dog is a cattle dog mix although I could very well be mistaken. ACDs are everywhere and ticking is highly variable. His spots are really nice and distinctly round so I'm going to go with either dalmatian or pointer mixed with something with a heavier build and with a thicker coat and that is clearly way mellower. Do you squish his floppy neck flab? Major has such squishable neck flab :3:
YES! The amount of excess skin he has flapping around there is insane. In fact, the flappiness actually made me think there might be some lab in him, though I'm entirely with you on Dalmatian and Pointer as likely candidates as well.

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

Damnskippy posted:

This is my dog, Rorschach. I've had some pretty diverse guesses about his origins. I'd be curious to know what you all think. He weighs about 60 lbs, is very low energy, and is an all-around sweet dog.

Whatever he is, he is adorable. I am biased though, cause black and white spotty dogs are my thing.

I have posted Abby before in this thread, but I'll post her again for fresh ideas. I have pretty solid guesses for the other dogs, but Abby has always been a mystery to me. I know something like Pointer mix, but GSPs are mostly liver and white, and english pointers aren't as splotchy. Dalmatians don't have those splotches, and none of those breeds have her funky curl tail. The other possibilities I have heard get tossed around are springers or cattle dogs, but nothing seems right. Personality wise, she is really neurotic, hates most other dogs, has never had a desire to play fetch and is incredibly stubborn when it comes to training.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

cryingscarf posted:

Whatever he is, he is adorable. I am biased though, cause black and white spotty dogs are my thing.

I have posted Abby before in this thread, but I'll post her again for fresh ideas. I have pretty solid guesses for the other dogs, but Abby has always been a mystery to me. I know something like Pointer mix, but GSPs are mostly liver and white, and english pointers aren't as splotchy. Dalmatians don't have those splotches, and none of those breeds have her funky curl tail. The other possibilities I have heard get tossed around are springers or cattle dogs, but nothing seems right. Personality wise, she is really neurotic, hates most other dogs, has never had a desire to play fetch and is incredibly stubborn when it comes to training.

He's a big cutie is what he is. :3:

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

cryingscarf posted:

Liver is recessive so lots of GSP mixes end up black and the big splotches are fairly common when mixing an extreme white dog with a piebald or piebald carrying dog. That said she isn't roan and doesn't really strike me as a GSP mix but I would believe dal or pointer mixed with possibly akita since the short coat is dominant. That would provide the piebald markings, curly tail and attitude.

Pyramid Scheme
May 21, 2007

This is Maya (purebreed we're babysitting from friends, ignore her), Slobodan and Ted.

We got Slobodan (~9 months old) and Ted (~6 years old) from the local dog rescue centre, each when they were 7-8 months old.

Ted's a mix of a Hong Kong village dog and something with longer hair. He's tongue is not the black/purple of most village dogs, but part black, part pink.

Slobodan is mostly rottweiler, but some people who know rottweilers better than we do think that he's mixed with something else as his ears are (apparently) not rottweiler like. Take a closer look in the photos below.

Some more shots of the boys.

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
They're all adorable :3: Slobodan looks more Doberman to me, his face seems too fine for a rottie. He could be Rottweiler crossed with something lighter built though.

Pyramid Scheme
May 21, 2007

6-Ethyl Bearcat posted:

They're all adorable :3: Slobodan looks more Doberman to me, his face seems too fine for a rottie. He could be Rottweiler crossed with something lighter built though.

Maybe he'll coarsen up in the face as he ages. He has huge paws, so it certainly looks looks he has some growing to do.

Troublemaker
Mar 12, 2007

My lab/shepard mix died earlier this summer. We wanted to get another dog, but were wary, as we have a toddler and an infant. Our old dog was indifferent to them; we wanted to get a good family dog/watch dog for them to grow up with and be protected by. After spending a few months searching rescues and not finding a dog that was a good fit for our family, we finally ended up at a rural kill shelter and ended up with this big guy:

This is Brooks, or, as I call him, Rufus Doofus. He's a big gangly doofus-y thing that has more energy than any animal I've ever met. We were told at the dog pound that he was 2 years old, but our vet puts him at about 14 months. He's 70 pounds and tall enough to eat off our dining room table, although he has very good manners and doesn't beg or help himself to anything he's not explicity given. He goes out and runs around our yard (3.5 acres) 4-5x per day while we're doing yard work or other outside-stuff, gets walked a mile or so 2x per day, and gets taken out 2-3x per day just to play ball -- he loves to chase sticks, balls, ropes, or anything you toss, but isn't great on bringing it back yet -- he'd rather run past you, do a play bow, and when you get up to him he'll take off with it again. And after all that, he still wants to run around inside the house and play.

We've had him for about a month now, and he's a great dog. He's very gentle with my 3-year old and 5-month old, and very smart -- he housetrained in about 3 days and already knows sit, lay down, and stay. He has very good recall (although if he takes off into our woods it might take 4-5 calls before he comes tearing back to us). My biggest problem is that he LOVES our pond! The first day we had him, he ran over to it and jumped right in. Even now that it's November and we've had freezing rain for weeks, he'll dive in, splash around happily, climb out and run around like an idiot, then go back and jump in again. Here he is chilling and pretending he's not about to make a run for the water:

I know he's part Doberman because of his markings, and general body shape, but I'm not sure what he's mixed with -- I'd guess Lab because of his love of water, but the other day he was standing on a hill overlooking the pond and just staring out at the water, and I swear he looked just like a German Shorthair Pointer. He seems to be a good hunter -- he'll go nuts when he sniffs something and will take off chasing scents for as long as I let him -- so I guess he could be mixed with a hunting breed?

He also has some weird coloring in his fur, almost like a brindling that doesn't show up very well in pictures.

Any ideas?

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Troublemaker posted:

My lab/shepard mix died earlier this summer. We wanted to get another dog, but were wary, as we have a toddler and an infant. Our old dog was indifferent to them; we wanted to get a good family dog/watch dog for them to grow up with and be protected by. After spending a few months searching rescues and not finding a dog that was a good fit for our family, we finally ended up at a rural kill shelter and ended up with this big guy:

I know he's part Doberman because of his markings, and general body shape, but I'm not sure what he's mixed with -- I'd guess Lab because of his love of water, but the other day he was standing on a hill overlooking the pond and just staring out at the water, and I swear he looked just like a German Shorthair Pointer. He seems to be a good hunter -- he'll go nuts when he sniffs something and will take off chasing scents for as long as I let him -- so I guess he could be mixed with a hunting breed?

When I opened the thread I went "what is a dobie doing in the mutts thread" because he really just looks like an all natural, byb doberman at first glance. His coat seems thicker and his body isn't quite right for a dobie though. Are his feet brindled or just dirty in those pictures?

He's got a whole lot of recessive colors going on which definitely narrows down what he could be. The black and tan needs to come from both parents as well as the liver color. The parents just need to be able to carry them, they don't need to be those colors themselves. Things that you could mix with a red/red carrying dobie to get colors like your handsome man are going to be dogs that come in chocolate or red like labs and other gun dogs. Labs often carry the genes for both brindle and tan points so I'm going to go with your guess of lab/dobie.

Troublemaker
Mar 12, 2007

Thanks for all the info! His feet are brindled, and so is his belly. He's kind of weird-looking, but I think he's a beautiful boy!

When we first brought him home we stopped at a pet store to get him some food and a new bed, and someone came in with a full-grown chocolate lab. Brooks bounded over to him, as he loves every dog he meets, and we kind of compared them. Brooks was taller and more slender, and redder, but they definitely resembled each other.

We got him near Amish country where I see a lot of BYBs advertised in the local paper, so it wouldn't surprise me if he was an oops mix that either escaped or was booted out due to his muttiness. He wasn't yet neutered when we got him, but that's been remedied. The pound said they were called to pick him up by some farmer who said Brooksie had been hanging around for a week and he was going to shoot him if they didn't come get him. :(

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Out of curiosity, this dog is listed as a feist but it looks a lot like a patterdale to me. http://caspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=32037&result=21&statusID=3&s=adoption

Any ideas/ opinions?

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

I'm not really seeing the patterdale there and I'm a terrier nut :shobon:

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Fraction posted:

I'm not really seeing the patterdale there and I'm a terrier nut :shobon:

Might just be me then! I though he had kind of a terrier head to him and the coat coloration looked right, but I don't know Patterdales very well.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Do you squish his floppy neck flab? Major has such squishable neck flab :3:

Is the neck flub an ACD thing? Max has a lot of excess neck skin, we keep telling him his extra stretchy neck is because he was a bad puppy and his mommy had to keep carrying him around :3:

He's got two full handfuls of neck flub with some left over. It's fun to play with.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Is the neck flub an ACD thing? Max has a lot of excess neck skin, we keep telling him his extra stretchy neck is because he was a bad puppy and his mommy had to keep carrying him around :3:

He's got two full handfuls of neck flub with some left over. It's fun to play with.

Bailey does too- he's got a real scruff. My boyfriend likes to tell Bailey: "This is where your mommy picked you up when you were a bad puppy," and Bailey rolls on his side and sighs at him while he pokes at the scruff.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Speaking of ACD mutts, I'm trying to figure out what other random genes are floating around in Pistol. His old owner says he's half ACD and half mini Australian Shepherd but I'm kind of failing to see the Australian Shepherd part. He definitely looks mostly ACD but there's something else in there.

Do Australian Shepherds have spotted skin? I noticed Pistol has spots where they shaved him at the vet and his paw pads are spotted. I'm assuming his freckles will turn him the same color as Max eventually. Thoughts?

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
^^^^is Pistol the white spotty one? I can definitely see shepherd in his face, but "mini Australian Shepherds" are not actually Aussies so that might be why it's not really pronounced.

a life less posted:

The eyes remind me of a Toller. None of the rest of him looks Tollerish thought, and they're pretty rare in the States so it's not a likely mix.

That's funny because I actually thought the same thing about just...his facial expression. But again yeah, you don't see many Toller mixes down here and if you do they almost always tend to be pretty Toller-ish in their coloring.

Also I'm reasonably sure that Brooks is 100% Doberman.

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Nov 4, 2012

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Speaking of ACD mutts, I'm trying to figure out what other random genes are floating around in Pistol. His old owner says he's half ACD and half mini Australian Shepherd but I'm kind of failing to see the Australian Shepherd part. He definitely looks mostly ACD but there's something else in there.

Do Australian Shepherds have spotted skin? I noticed Pistol has spots where they shaved him at the vet and his paw pads are spotted. I'm assuming his freckles will turn him the same color as Max eventually. Thoughts?

I think he just isn't super roaned like Max and if he isn't that color at this point I doubt he's going to get much darker. I know ACDs are born white and fill in with roaning but I think that should be completely done by 8-10 months. Just a guess but I would think Max is homoozygous for ticking and has roaning while Pistol is heterozygous for both or at least for roaning making a lot more of the white come through. Not a lot is known for sure about the roaning genes from what I have read though.

Aussies don't tend to have ticking and I'm guessing mini aussies are the same but since ticking is dominant he could just get that from the ACD. He's black and tan, a common aussie color so that would check out but they have way less white. Pistol seems to be extreme white so both parents would have to carry extreme white. Aussies and I think mini aussies are almost universally are irish white and would probably cause him to have more solid patches.

I guess what all that sperg was saying was that I would sort of doubt 1/2 aussie but it isn't completely out of the question that he has some questionably bred aussie heritage.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Interesting. Can ACDs have floppy ears like that too? The floppy ears are mostly what are making me wonder what else he's mixed with.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Everyone, I'd like you to meet Bruce:

Any guesses of the mix? The rescue said beagle/boxer.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Beagle/Boxer looks like a spot on guess to me. His tiny head is cute. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Kerfuffle posted:

Beagle/Boxer looks like a spot on guess to me. His tiny head is cute. :)

Ah, but here's the clincher. He has webbed paws. :iiam: