Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Uh, Giganews isn't an indexer, they're a provider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
It's no different from anything else on the internet or in the irl that there's going to be some fucker trying to gently caress other people over. Use binsearch or nzbclub for stuff that isn't TV shows (you should be using Sickbeard for this) don't grab anything large that isn't in a collection. nzbclub has file ratings and activity levels. Click the uploaders name and look over his upload history, if there's a bunch of passworded stuff or uploads that aren't in collections (its an 8GB thing but it's one filename.rar) then he's probably a fucker.

You'll learn soon enough what's clean and who the good uploaders are and you can't link poo poo here anyway so good luck, champ.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Jqim posted:

Can you actually find what you are looking for and have it not turn out to be a .exe or something mental?
Of course not, this thread is about how to download viruses.

The OP mentions the mentions the more prominent indexers and links to a big list. You're looking for an indexer.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

FISHMANPET posted:

Uh, Giganews isn't an indexer, they're a provider.
He is probably talking about their Mimo browser.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
While stumbling through nzb.su and another non-usenet site I noticed some things are released on those other sites pretty quickly but can sometimes take ~4 hours to show up on usenet. Any reason for this?

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007
Are there any indexes where people post comments on the releases? I like being able to hear from people whether a release was good or there were issues. NZBMatrix is the only one I know of and I'd like to find more. Nzb.su is pretty popular but it surprises me how hardly anyone comments.

Binskin
Dec 15, 2005
Better this then 'Stupid Newbie'.
Is nzb.su dead for anyone else?

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Binskin posted:

Seems to be :(

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

Jqim posted:

just joined giganews, cancelled my account. Searched using their special browser, found mostly junk and viruses, are these index sites honestly any different?

Can you actually find what you are looking for and have it not turn out to be a .exe or something mental?
Giganews' Mimo Indexer/Client is pretty crap, or at least it was when I used it back when it first launched. Mimo is effectively a raw-mode indexer, which means there is zero filtering to help you sort out what's crap. Raw-mode indexers (like Mysterbin.com) have their place, but you have to expect to put up with some bullshit that comes with it being every post ever.

Newznab-based indexers are much better in comparison. Easy to find stuff, easy to get an .nzb, relatively safe to assume stuff won't be a virus or be password protected, since they filter out stuff like that.

Drevoak posted:

Are there any indexes where people post comments on the releases? I like being able to hear from people whether a release was good or there were issues. NZBMatrix is the only one I know of and I'd like to find more. Nzb.su is pretty popular but it surprises me how hardly anyone comments.
NZBMatrix and Newzbin are about the only places I've ever seen people seriously posting comments on things. I believe this is due to the cultural differences that come out of having a site with auto-generated NZBs vs having a site be dependent on humans either approving NZBs or directly uploading them. Or it's a volume problem. Just way too many things to comment on, so no one bothers.

Binskin posted:

Must have just been a temporary hiccup, since it's up now.

Diviance
Feb 11, 2004

Television rules the nation.

Red Robin Hood posted:

While stumbling through nzb.su and another non-usenet site I noticed some things are released on those other sites pretty quickly but can sometimes take ~4 hours to show up on usenet. Any reason for this?

It may show up relatively quickly on usenet, but the indexing sites may take a little longer sometimes to index it. It also has to do with the fact that torrents and the like don't require anything but creating and uploading a tiny little file, while usenet requires someone to upload the entire thing first. Gigantic filesize difference.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Diviance posted:

It may show up relatively quickly on usenet, but the indexing sites may take a little longer sometimes to index it. It also has to do with the fact that torrents and the like don't require anything but creating and uploading a tiny little file, while usenet requires someone to upload the entire thing first. Gigantic filesize difference.

That makes a lot of sense. I'm slowing understanding what usenet really is. Is it possible to dig through things that aren't indexed?

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011

Red Robin Hood posted:

That makes a lot of sense. I'm slowing understanding what usenet really is. Is it possible to dig through things that aren't indexed?

Newsbin (paid) will allow you to look through the headers of any group you want. GrabIt will let you do it too. But it's only useful for smaller or more niche groups that don't get indexed.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Is there any way to add shows that aren't on TVDB? Something I want to grab for a few weeks is completely locked down as of January and I found the forum thread where the mods are being their usual rear end in a top hat selves and refusing to unlock it.

I could just dump it into an unsorted folder, but would be useful to know of alternatives in case I ever need something added more permanently.

edit:

For the above poster -

mysterbin.com lets you look through individual groups and binsearch.info is pretty decent and browsing through headers. Both free with no registration needed.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
Both still only have headers for selected newsgroups.

Jqim
Mar 8, 2012
Im now in board with a proper indexer. I also Read The Flipping Manual at the OP and now have SABnzb.
So is it normal to see my speed cap out at about 1.8mb/s it was 3.7mb/s earlier. I am paying for a 30mb connection in the UK.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
Are you on Virgin? (gently caress virgin)

If you're back on Giganews make sure you're using the EU server or have your connections split across the US and EU servers. This probably applies to most other USPs as well.

Jqim
Mar 8, 2012
Yes, I'm on Virgin. I will admit that they do suck but, they where the cheapest option that I knew of and now im stuck with them for 9 months. I used to be with Be (who do not suck) I had a more reliable service with them through a copper wire than I do now. I think I will be leaving giganews anyhow and goign for somthing cheaper as I dont plan on dl much and I am poor.

P.s. who wants to give a designer/artworker learning User experience at masters level in London a job?
YOU => http://about.me/james_maclean

FSMC
Apr 27, 2003
I love to live this lie
I get full speed on virgin, might want to change your ports if you aren't. Virgin use traffic management so if you download too much between 09:00-21:00 your speeds get cut in half or something.

Jqim
Mar 8, 2012
How do I change ports? is it done in SABnzb?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

You're going over your limit for the time of day and Virgin are capping you. Only the 100mbit line is completely exempt from this (and I still see wild variations in speed at different times of day on usenet). No tricks you can do to get around this.

monkeybounce
Feb 9, 2007

FSMC posted:

I've had enough of sickbeard, does couchpotato do the same thing? Can I just replace sickbeard with couchpotato? Are there any major disadvantages to switching?

There's also NZBDrone. It does everything sickbeard does (and more) I converted and have never gone back.

SB has its merits, but NZBDrone is just much quicker and isn't as married to the TVDB. The dev is actually trying to get a TVRage api key to use their service.

The only problem is it's 100% Windows. The dev has mentioned supporting mono, but I don't know the status of that.

Jqim
Mar 8, 2012
VM still seems to be capping me at 1.8mb/s I switched ports from 563 to 443 and it wen back up to 3.7 for a little while then went back down to 1.8mb/s . Restarted and tried 563 again and it went don to 0.7. If the speeds where more random I would be less suspicious, but what I think is going on is VM are sniffing out the trafic and periodically throttling it.

Sucks, but..

In all fairness 1.8 is still pretty fast all things considered, am i right or just claiming sour grapes?

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
You could try port 80, some USPs support that and no ISP can possibly throttle that port.

I'm on BT Infinity, it's pretty good. Especially when you compare it to how it was on ADSL. It was absolute poo poo. poo poo speeds, packet loss, constant drops and their tech support is garbage as well. Had no problems on BT Infinity, I get 67mbps down and 15mbps up. No caps or throttling.

Are you sure the 100mbit Virgin line is exempt? I vaguely remember checking their little chart and even though they made it seem that way there was still some small print fair usage that was really prohibitive.

monkeybounce posted:

There's also NZBDrone. It does everything sickbeard does (and more) I converted and have never gone back.

Like what?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

The pHo posted:

Is there any way to add shows that aren't on TVDB? Something I want to grab for a few weeks is completely locked down as of January and I found the forum thread where the mods are being their usual rear end in a top hat selves and refusing to unlock it.

I could just dump it into an unsorted folder, but would be useful to know of alternatives in case I ever need something added more permanently.

edit:

For the above poster -

mysterbin.com lets you look through individual groups and binsearch.info is pretty decent and browsing through headers. Both free with no registration needed.

You mean to sickbeard? None its 100% thetvdb reliant.

You could use nzbs.org My Shows or whatever.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Jqim posted:

VM still seems to be capping me at 1.8mb/s I switched ports from 563 to 443 and it wen back up to 3.7 for a little while then went back down to 1.8mb/s . Restarted and tried 563 again and it went don to 0.7. If the speeds where more random I would be less suspicious, but what I think is going on is VM are sniffing out the trafic and periodically throttling it.

Sucks, but..

In all fairness 1.8 is still pretty fast all things considered, am i right or just claiming sour grapes?

No, as per my previous post you're going over your allocation for that time of day and are being capped. It has nothing to do with content/ports, it's because you're on a low tier subscription with them.

Looks like they've updated the T&Cs to cap even the 100mbit lines now when we hit 20gb.

http://www.virginmedia.com/images/STM_30Mb_above_800pxB.jpg

monkeybounce
Feb 9, 2007

Like I said, I switched from SB a while back, so I don't know what SB has now, but here goes:

1. Speed--this was the main reason for me switching. The entire process to scan about 1700 files, add them to the interface, and then check the RSS feeds takes less than 2 minutes. Individual RSS checks take less than 10 seconds with around 105 series. With SB, it took significantly longer. Things that may be available daily usually took 2-4 minutes to add with SB and take about 20 seconds to add in NZBDrone.
2.Built-in post processing. No need for a script in SAB, it just does it much the way CPv2 does. Edit: Apparently not a shortcoming of SB. Never knew. Thanks Thermopyle!
3. Ability to delete files via the interface. You can get rid of stuff you don't want without having to navigate the folder structure. This is also going to be expanded into a keep last X/most recent/etc feature.
4. Ability to integrate with TVRage. SB just simply can't do it.
5. Dev maintains a TVDB -> Scene mapping (may also use TheXem) so things that SB can't get, NZBDrone can.
6. Search History. You can see the all the reports for a specific check and manually snatch the ones that may have been skipped for whatever reason.
7. Support for multiple "root folders". If you have folders spanning multiple drives, it isn't a problem.

There are also some things that SB does better in terms of quality selection and renaming of files (and not being Win only), but overall my opinion is that NZBDrone is a much better choice. It also works "out of the box" in that you don't need an indexer (it uses the public ones) and it has the ability to automatically grab your SAB settings. The dev is also very responsive and usually has things sorted within 24 hours of posting an issue.

It's totally a preference thing, but give it a try if you have a windows box. I'm sure you'll like it.

monkeybounce fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Nov 2, 2012

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
The website says it only supports: Nzbs.org, NzbMatrix, NzbsRus, Newzbin and Newznab

Don't you have to pay to get API keys for all of them or is he missing some out?

monkeybounce
Feb 9, 2007

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

The website says it only supports: Nzbs.org, NzbMatrix, NzbsRus, Newzbin and Newznab

Don't you have to pay to get API keys for all of them or is he missing some out?

Old information, I think.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

monkeybounce posted:

2.Built-in post processing. No need for a script in SAB, it just does it much the way CPv2 does.

Just an FYI, SB has supported this method of operation for years.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Virgin media definitely throttle the standard usenet ports. You'll have to switch to the less commonly used port that your provider should provide.

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

Alfajor posted:

I used a free account on xsusenet to get my feet wet, and I've decided to jump in and go with a real usenet provider now, and with a block plan.
I'm a bit :tinfoil: about paying for one with my real card, so I was wondering if anyone has gotten a pre-paid Visa card or similar to get an account on BlockNews or similar. Good, bad or best idea?

Blocknews has the option to mail cash to them or money order which seems to be a payment option right on the sign up page. testing it shows a form to print and mail in with payment. doesnt get more anon than that i think.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
And they'll still have your IP address.

monkeybounce
Feb 9, 2007

Sperg Victorious posted:

I think this was touched on earlier in the thread, but does any provider have the ability to keep your IP address matched with what articles you've downloaded for more than just a few hours at most?

I feel like the thought was they would generate and store ridiculously unsustainable amounts of data if they tried to log and retain every transaction.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Sperg Victorious posted:

Then buy a VPN account. Some providers will accept cash or even BTC. Of course then they have your IP. At some point you either have to trust someone or go wardriving.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011

monkeybounce posted:

I think this was touched on earlier in the thread, but does any provider have the ability to keep your IP address matched with what articles you've downloaded for more than just a few hours at most?

I feel like the thought was they would generate and store ridiculously unsustainable amounts of data if they tried to log and retain every transaction.

They might keep some very very short term logs, to track abuse. But the only kind of perm records are the X-Trace headers they put into posted articles.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Am I blind or does NZBDrone not have a way to set a username and password so not just anybody can remotely access it?

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
Is there anyway to add free indexers like binsearch and nzbclub into Sickbeard? (or any other free providers)

uhhhhahhhhohahhh fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Nov 3, 2012

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Does anybody use Sickbeard + IVI on a Mac and have a good setup that doesn't tend to try to convert files before they are done processing?

On larger videos, IVI tends to grab them mid-copy or something, and then they fail to convert the first time because they cut off randomly. Then after it fails, it sees it again with a different file size and it converts properly. So in the end, I get the video properly but I have a failed conversion, plus it waste all that time trying to convert the partial file. So not a big deal but curious if anyone else has a workaround.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Does Couch Potato actually work, or does it just have a really nice interface that does nothing but show me stuff that I have told it I want to get? :(

EDIT: nevermind, its working fine now. although I cant seem to figure out how to get it to re-scan my existing files to add to the DB.

Laserface fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Nov 4, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
Is there a setting in Sabnzbd to automatically clean up the incomplete directory every once in a while? I just realized it leaves failed downloads there, and was taking up a huge amount of space. Deleting manually is a crappy option, since I could easily delete something from my queue by accident.