Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Ineffiable posted:

This is the problem we have with the wiki as stated before. It could be a good reference but nobody contributes to it.

Why?

Because we assume nobody will use it.

Why not list the major systems (and revisions), give a few teasers of screenshots of games on the system and have a text list of notable/legacy games? We can have the extra pictures/summaries inside the wiki link (hotlink the games to wiki articles in the same post)

This would make a pretty good 3rd post of the OP.

Okay, that's fine with me! Also why I left a 3rd post open.

Tobaccrow posted:

From late in the last thread/Nintendo World Catalog:

This would go nicely under the section in the OP on why not just emulate. You can't emulate Castlevania-forged friendship OR juice, motherfuckah!

please don't post pictures of my gaming rig; thanks

(also...added to OP)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Tell you what. Lemme grab my N64 writeup from the old thread and you have my permission to use anything in there for a third post.

Will edit this in a few minutes.

Sorry for making this page huge:

The Nintendo 64

One of the most underrated consoles out there, there was only around 350 games released for the console.

One of the most prominent things I should note about this is that it was the last hurrah for cartridge based consoles (excluding portables).
To some here, cartridges may appeal to the collector's sense more, and they can be noticeably easier to keep in good condition compared to CDs.

Notable releases/Must Haves:

Super Mario 64

Still one of the best 3D platformers around, if you never played this mario game, you better drat well get an N64 and get it!

Banjo-Kazooie

One of Rare's better collect-a-thons before they went totally crazy balls to the wall with DK64, and jet Force Gemini. If you like this, consider the sequel Banjo Tooie, but it does have significantly more backtracking, and larger worlds, and more complicated collecting.

Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon

Incredibly wacky zelda-like game with a musical intro, giant robot fights, puzzles and dungeons and even a health upgrade system very similar to Zelda. It's the best Zelda that's not Zelda. gently caress Darksiders, this is the real Good Zelda game that's not Zelda.

Snowboard Kids

This was pretty wonderful for its time. It's basically Mario Kart, but with kids on snowboards! Pretty cool battle system, and you can do tricks for money to buy weapons.

Star Fox 64

I can't let you do that Star Fox. Everyone will know this as one of the most quotable games of all time. I don't need to say more. Made the rumble pack insanely worth it.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

I don't need to say much about this. Zelda made a wonderful jump to 3D, and this game is still considered one of the best games of all time.

Doom 64

Wait, what? Yes, Doom got a wonderful game on the N64. Doom 64 is a ton of new Doom levels, and it's actually very well done performance-wise.

Beetle Adventure Racing

Yes, this game features only Beetles. Yet, it's still more fun than GT5 (oooh ice burn). Creative tracks and fun to drive variety of Beetles from sporty Beetle to police Beetle make this a great racer.

Body Harvest

Rockstar made this game. It's essentially GTA, but with tanks and planes and alien bugs that want to destroy the world. You travel through time to stop them and ayadda yadda, it's got a B+ movie storyline with some unique gameplay for it's time.

Bomberman 64

Probably the best Bomberman ever made. Incredible robust singleplayer mode with bosses, creative puzzles and KICKING RAD MUSIC! Doesn't hurt that it has a good multiplayer aspect to it as well.

Blast Corps

Our very own goon member furry drum circle holds the SDA speed run record for this game as well as some world records. Pretty fun game where the goal is to destroy everything so a nuke doesn't blow up.

Harvest Moon 64

Still probably one of the best Harvest Moons out there. Raise a farm, get married, have a dog, its like most Harvest Moons. If you're going to collect n64 games, try to get this one first, it's becoming rarer and rarer.

F-Zero X

Locked at a silky-smooth 60 frames per second, this takes the formula established in the SNES version to the extreme. F-Zero X casts off the shackles of Mode 7 and gains huge jumps, bounds-defying tubes, and gravity-defying loops. Instead of 4 vehicles, there are now 30 potential rivals that you need to out maneuver to win your circuit, and the multiplayer's not bad either.

The New Tetris

If Doom's on the list, Tetris should be too. Sure it's been done on other consoles, but I think this may be my favorite version. I haven't seen the "block" mechanic in any other Tetris game and it adds a nice new twist to racking up high scores. As you play, you unlock "wonders", giant sculptures built by your cleared Tetris pieces, and there are enough in the game that it would take months if not years to unlock them all. Finally, the music is absolutely incredible, and the ROM contains the best hidden-on-a-game-cartridge rant ever written.

Ogre Battle 64

Yet another rare game and totally fun to play. It can be a little slow, and it mentions nothing about the Chaos Frame system that affects whatever ending you get, but still a worthwhile release on the N64!

Rare Not for Resale cartridges!
If you're looking for rare poo poo, some games were released as 'Not for Resale.' This are mostly demo models, but they go for a pretty penny.
These titles include (but I think there's a few more out there):
Goldeneye 007
Donkey Kong 64
Diddy Kong Racing
Yoshi's Story
Pokemon Snap
Mario Kart 64
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Star Fox 64
Pokemon Stadium
Let's just say if it says Not for Resale on it, it's worth a pretty penny, and far more than a retail cartridge.

Some N64 games were released as rental only from Blockbuster and the like, so they're pretty hard to find in the wild. These include: (stolen from digitpress)
Rare Rental Only Games
1. Clayfighter 63 1/3: Sculptor's Cut (Blockbuster excl.) - this is the hardest exclusive to find, mostly because of it's age. It was released towards the beginning of the N64 lifespan. In my opinion (and others), it is THE hardest N64 title to find. Not that any of them are incredibly hard to find. It rarely comes up on eBay.
2. International Superstar Soccer 2000 (Retailer exlusive) - at first, this title was thought to be a Blockbuster exclusive, but I have retail sources who were able to order this title new (at the time of it's release). Regardless, it was still an exclusive of sorts, and released later in the N64 lifespan. Difficult to find, but not impossible. I have an easier time finding it NEW, than loose - it's actually a great soccer game.
3. Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine (Blockbuster & LucasArts Exclusive) - this was available for rent/sale at Blockbuster, and for sale through the LucasArts online store. Not too terrible to find, but getting a complete one can be a challenge.
4. Stunt Racer 64 (Blockbuster exclusive) - older release, somewhat tough to find complete
5. International Track & Field 2000 (Blockbuster exclusive)
6. Razor Freestyle Scooter (Blockbuster exclusive)
7. NFL Blitz Special Edition (Blockbuster exclusive)
8. Transformers Beast Wars - Transmetals (Blockbuster exclusive)

Love different console colors? The N64 has a ton in stock!

You've got your standard grey, a nice golden console, and the Future series:

Holy poo poo, look at all of those colors!

Also, if you just like incredibly rare and obscure stuff for the sake of it being rare and obscure, look into the Nintendo 64 Disk Drive! Incredibly expensive (most go for over $500) and released in Japan only, it makes an awesome rare piece for your collection. To sum it up, it's basically a rarer Sega CD, of which only a few games were developed for the DD.

There is an Everdrive 64 for all your flashcart needs.

I know most of you guys here grew up on the NES and maybe the SNES, so I decided to do a write up to celebrate my favorite console and kind of get you guys into it before all these guys who grew up on it get a job and start buying a ton of N64 stuff. It's prime time to start collecting N64, if you're tired of your NESes and SNESes.

Ineffiable fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Nov 6, 2012

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
^^^
Props for snowboard kids, goemon and body harvest. But no Mischief Makers or Space Station Silicon valley?

As far as the retro game room thing goes, even as a kid, I was never in a room that rad.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Ambitious Spider posted:

^^^
Props for snowboard kids, goemon and body harvest. But no Mischief Makers or Space Station Silicon valley?

As far as the retro game room thing goes, even as a kid, I was never in a room that rad.

I was going to put on Mischief Makers (but I already had enough), but regarding Space Station Silicon Valley? It's a hard as balls game with an unbeatable ending thanks to a glitch. I admit it's unique and a cool idea, but I dunno, I just feel soured on the entire thing.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
The N64 I RGB modded was placed in an Ice Blue shell (none of the Ice Blue N64s could be RGB modded).

Also, I just scored a brand new (but not sealed) copy of Ogre Battle 64. Going to try that one out tonight.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Someone sell me on (or off of) Pier Solar... my interest is piqued since it's being ported to Dreamcast, but I'm not sure if it's worth my $49 (or $125)

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

zenintrude posted:

Someone sell me on (or off of) Pier Solar... my interest is piqued since it's being ported to Dreamcast, but I'm not sure if it's worth my $49 (or $125)

All I've heard is that it is beautiful pixel work, but the game is grindy as all hell (on the level of RPGS from that era, like Phantasy Star) and it is sort of a right pain in the butt to progress through the game.

So, this probably sold you on/off it already.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

zenintrude posted:

The HD / updated art in that Kickstarter looks pretty awful to me, I'm skipping it.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

Chainclaw posted:

The HD / updated art in that Kickstarter looks pretty awful to me, I'm skipping it.

I was thinking the same thing, but I didn't want to be the first to say it. I'm all for redrawing art to utilize the hardware you have available, but (and I know it's probably early artwork) if it's not coherent with the rest of the art, then it just comes off being ugly.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

madpanda posted:

For scart switches there is a middle ground between the lovely plastic grey ones and the expensive as hell shinybow.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hama-Scart-Switch-Box-AV-100S-Silver-/350630494199?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51a334bff7

I have the metal version of this and it works great. Someone in IRC was talking about hama switches also.

I personally wouldnt pay 46 for that, I remember paying much less for the same one a year or so ago. The hama switch people talk about online a lot is different:

you can get this on amazon.de or the uk site (if you live in the uk). I bought multiple to make up for the shipping cost, so i might have one or two available whenever I decide to sell stuff for christmas cash.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Ineffiable posted:

7. NFL Blitz Special Edition (Blockbuster exclusive)
I'd like to mention that Blitz is a great 64 game. 2000 is probably the best version, though 2001 looks slightly better and runs faster thanks to using the expansion pak. The original Blitz is fine but it only has 2 player support and it's painfully slow compared to the sequels. Don't bother with the playstation or dreamcast versions. The PS1 has terrible load times and bad controls. The dreamcast has even worse controls and it's just not fun for some reason. It plays more like the PS2 games, which isn't a good thing.

If you're going to play it, play against a human because the CPU cheats. It's actually a very well balanced game with a lot of strategy when you put two good players against each other. Two terrible players can have a good time as well, and there's just enough crazy turnovers at the worst times to keep people entertained/enraged.

Oh, and don't bother seeking out the Special Edition unless you're just getting it for collection purposes. It's just 2001 with updated rosters and all "2001" references removed from the interface and voiceover. Even the team stats stayed the same. It's easily the least notable of the blockbuster exclusives.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Ineffiable posted:

I was going to put on Mischief Makers (but I already had enough), but regarding Space Station Silicon Valley? It's a hard as balls game with an unbeatable ending thanks to a glitch. I admit it's unique and a cool idea, but I dunno, I just feel soured on the entire thing.

Fair enough. I haven't played it since I rented it way back when. I didn't finish it, but I still have pretty fond memories. I should track down a copy some day.

Also started playing Ys1&2 for the first time on the psp. Enjoying myself so far.

Economy Clown Car
May 5, 2009

by Pipski
This thread brings back wonderful memories, :unsmith: also not so wonderful ones. Like how I just realized I have lost my entire collection through misappropriation, shuffling around and many childhood moves :smith:

As far as game recommendations go? My SNES picks are...

E.V.O Search for Eden

I would be a fibby liar if I told you what the actual rarity of this game is, all I know for sure? It's a fun side scrolling action/rpg title where you play through phases of the past and customize/evolve yourself as you go.

Terranigma

Somewhat rare, and I believe completely PAL only. If anyone can correct me on this I would be happy to hear! It has wonderful music and visuals and plays like a more robust and stat driven link to the past with less swords and more spears.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I don't have any more SNES and NES games or the systems, so I'm really interested in the flash carts. Do they work with the clone systems? Google is not helping me very much.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

Mill Village posted:

I don't have any more SNES and NES games or the systems, so I'm really interested in the flash carts. Do they work with the clone systems? Google is not helping me very much.

I've heard of people using PowerPaks on their clones, others should work but I don't have any clone systems. SNES consoles aren't expensive though, so why not buy original systems?

Michael Carnage
Nov 7, 2004

To find the light you must embrace the darkness.

iastudent posted:

Can anyone give me a second opinion on this guy? A Duo with region mod and full capacitor replacement sounds more promising than having to import one for about the same cost and having no idea of the actual quality of it.

I'm going to suggest KeithCourage over at PCEngineFX forums for this. I got my Duo from him region modded and all the caps replaced for $250 shipped (I live a state over so I'm sure that brought shipping down a little). As I always say when I mention him, he only takes checks/money orders however if you look around the forums you'll see whenever someone posts a WTB thread there people just tell them to contact him to pick one up.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

ACID POLICE posted:

I've heard of people using PowerPaks on their clones, others should work but I don't have any clone systems. SNES consoles aren't expensive though, so why not buy original systems?

I could, but I thought going with a brand new clone system would be better in the long run. I have no idea how reliable Super Nintendos are, though. I guess I'll just go with the real thing if they still work well.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
If you're questioning the reliability of old Nintendo stuff then I guess it's time to post this image again...

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Mill Village posted:

I could, but I thought going with a brand new clone system would be better in the long run. I have no idea how reliable Super Nintendos are, though. I guess I'll just go with the real thing if they still work well.

Everything Nintendo built after the NES and before the GC is built like a god damned tank. Even then, the NES is pretty sturdy and there's only one repair needed for most models that haven't stayed in perfect condition.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:

jyrque posted:

I just tried out the US Star Fox copy I got on my Super Famicom and it just doesn't display any graphics. I can hear the sound just fine, but the screen is just black. Weirdest thing is that when I tried to play it managed to show some sprite graphics, namely the map screen with the Arwing. None of the FX powered graphics are showing up, it seems.

I'm playing the game through a Honeybee converter on Super Famicom. Non-FX chip games work just fine. Is it some kind of a weird regional lock out for the FX chip or could it be my copy is just busted?

Edit: or could it be just that the Honeybee doesn't do anything with the US cartridges' extra pins? :v:

If the converter doesn't have two sets of smaller pins on either side of the wide center set, games like Starfox, Kirby DX, Kirby 3, Wild Trax, Nintendo's rewriteable carts, etc., won't work.

Economy Clown Car posted:

Terranigma

Somewhat rare, and I believe completely PAL only. If anyone can correct me on this I would be happy to hear! It has wonderful music and visuals and plays like a more robust and stat driven link to the past with less swords and more spears.

It was only on PAL. That's why I don't own a copy even though it was the first game I'd localized.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Alright, I'll get an original SNES then. The SNES Jr's cartridge slot is too small for the SD2SNES, correct?

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

Mill Village posted:

Alright, I'll get an original SNES then. The SNES Jr's cartridge slot is too small for the SD2SNES, correct?

Untrue - I ordered a SD2SNES from Retrogate with the fancy universal case, which fits both my US model 1 SNES and Japanese SFC Jr. (still on its way though).

All USA systems take the larger, square cartridges. The smaller cartridges you're thinking of are PAL/Japan cartridges. But you usually get the SD2SNES as the bare board itself, and you can replace the board in any cart you want with it.

Erluk
Nov 11, 2007

"If you can't beat 'em, STRANGLE 'EM"

Erluk posted:

Today the weirdest thing happened:
I was playing A Link to the Past on my SNES and every time I would bring up the map screen it would just show the icon of Link and whatever was marked on his map. At first I figured it just meant I hadn't found the overworld map yet. I also noticed that the screen transitions from entering and exiting houses looked real hosed up. I played for a while before I remembered that you get the overworld map from the start, so at that point I figured it was just the cart. I tried it in another SNES and it worked perfectly. gently caress. Then I figured it had something to do with whatever runs the Mode 7 in the SNES, so to test that out I put in Pilotwings. it works perfectly. Does anyone know of any hardware reason why the Mode 7 wouldn't work for specific games? Or any clues on why this poo poo is so hosed?

Quoted from the other thread as I have some new information. I was talking to a guy who repairs old consoles for a living and he informed me that the PPU was shot. Replacing the PPU is apparently a pain in the rear end and expensive (this thread talks about it http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?161653-SNES-Graphics-Issues), so I said gently caress it and got a new SNES :retrogames:. LTTP here I come!

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Ineffiable posted:

All I've heard is that it is beautiful pixel work, but the game is grindy as all hell (on the level of RPGS from that era, like Phantasy Star) and it is sort of a right pain in the butt to progress through the game.

This is patently false. It's significantly grindier than RPGs from that era. Seriously, don't waste your time.

ACID POLICE posted:

Untrue - I ordered a SD2SNES from Retrogate with the fancy universal case, which fits both my US model 1 SNES and Japanese SFC Jr. (still on its way though).

All USA systems take the larger, square cartridges. The smaller cartridges you're thinking of are PAL/Japan cartridges. But you usually get the SD2SNES as the bare board itself, and you can replace the board in any cart you want with it.

My deluxe edition from SAG in a universal shell doesn't fit in my SNES Jr. It's why I bought an SFC (and it's even a bit snug in there). It's just too thick.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Hey Doug, I got to the kid in Pokemon Blue the other day who says the quote in your avatar text, that was funny. :v: Of course that game is full of dorkier "I want to fight!" statements than the Yakuza series is, which is saying something.

Soooo, something fun came in the mail today. I was talking about emulation on Android? Check this out.

"The gently caress is that?" you might ask. That is a GameKlip! It's a plastic mount which allows you to mount a Galaxy S2 / Galaxy S3 [pictured] to a PS3 controller.

It's pretty freaking nice. My SGS3 is rooted so I can run Sixaxis just fine [which allows pairing a PS3 controller via bluetooth], but I got the cable pack because it was only a few bucks extra, and in case I ever lose root, that'd suck [like I did on my tablet recently, drat you Asus!]. The cable allows you to use the gamepad without pairing it via bluetooth, though it means you can't charge the phone while playing.

Oh, and if it looks cramped, it really isn't - I have monstrous hands, and it's very comfortable, plenty of room to move around. My one complaint is the weight, but I figure any time I'd be using this my hands will probably be resting on a table/my lap, so no biggie.

So yeah, it owns. $28 I think with the cable, but worth it - the guy who makes them is pretty small time, so it's cool kicking a project like that a few bucks. The build quality is solid, and I'm happy with it. Shipped pretty quick too.

They even plan to make them for 7" tablets! That's pretty neat, though that'd be killer on the arms considering how heavy my SGS3 is. :P

Website here.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

Also, I just scored a brand new (but not sealed) copy of Ogre Battle 64. Going to try that one out tonight.

Aren't you in the Hurricane Sandra area? Guys, I think Miyamotos RGB has turned into a Nintendo-seeking bandit of some kind. :ohdear:

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

That's pretty awesome. Thanks for the tip; now I know what I'm getting someone for Christmas!

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

- SARGSS

- Shipping preference: any
- A list of your consoles : NES, SNES, N64, GC, Genesis, 32x, DC, ps1,ps2, Neo Geo MVS
- Favorite genres of game: RPGs, Action, shooters, fighters
- Any specific requests.: Japanese versions are cool, arcade boards are awesome (even ones that need work)
- please do not send: no PAL games, no PC games, no sports games, no CD based games without case/jewel case/manual/cover, games/systems/accessories only

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
Slowly whipping up a 3DO part here. Haven't gotten to the games but here's what I have so far:

quote:

3DO Interactive Multiplayer

So you want a 3DO? This 32-bit ARM-based console came out in late 1993 and lasted a whopping two years before it was discontinued after selling 5 million units worldwide. Pushed by Panasonic, Sanyo, and Goldstar (aka LG), it was designed to compete with consoles the likes of the Playstation and Saturn.

The console is where Gex got its start (it was bundled with the console at one point), a near-perfect port of Super Street Fighter II was made with superior audio to its arcade version, Wing Commander was an example of an early FMV game that didn't suck, and an almost perfect version of Doom was released save for the fact that its framerate was terrible and it was missing its music for whatever reason.

One unique factor with the 3DO was that there were numerous models. The most common ones in North America were the Panasonic series, specifically the FZ-1. None of them have region locks or copy protection.

Console models

Panasonic FZ-1

Panasonic FZ-10

Goldstar 3DO

Goldstar 3DO Alive II

The above models are the most common you'll find. There were a few others which included an FZ-1 that had a 5-disc disc changer built-in and an ISA card made by Creative Labs that you could pop into your PC and play the games on there.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Just wanted to say, excellent work on the new thread and everybody's love of ye olden vidja games. I haven't really gotten much as far as new acquisitions in the past few months as I've reached a point in my collection where I'm pretty satisfied with what I have, as well as my local area drying up as far as worthwhile purchases. I'd like to expand my US Sega Saturn collection a bit more, but it isn't a high priority for me unfortunately. I mean, once you have Panzer Dragoon Saga, where do you go from there, ya know?

It also doesn't help that a lot of discussion is around modding consoles for various fancy video output stuffs and the like, an area I don't really dabble with as I'm a dumb purist with my consoles. Basic maintenance is about the extent I take to my consoles as it is. Not that I don't like the work y'all are doing, I think it's great, just not something I'd like to do to my own hardware is all. I mean I'm still playing my stuff on old not-flat CRTs.

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Nov 6, 2012

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Robolizard! posted:

I personally wouldnt pay 46 for that, I remember paying much less for the same one a year or so ago. The hama switch people talk about online a lot is different:

you can get this on amazon.de or the uk site (if you live in the uk). I bought multiple to make up for the shipping cost, so i might have one or two available whenever I decide to sell stuff for christmas cash.

Going to second this, although they have recently become unavailable here in Germany; the last one I got, I had to buy used off of eBay classifieds. They are, however, amazing.

Economy Clown Car posted:

Terranigma

It is extremely rare in English and seems to go for over 100GBP cartridge only at least; there don't ever seem to be more than five on ebay.co.uk at the same time. The German big box release (see my haul on the first page ITT) is significantly more common and only expensive (as in, 50-80€ depending on condition) due to the guide book and box. German cartridge only is about 10-15€. And yes, it's PAL/JP only and absolutely marvelous.

Katana Gomai fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Nov 6, 2012

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Terranigma was one of my first experiences in emulated games that I couldn't get on my SNES [I think I played a translation? this was back in the dark ages of emulation like 10/11 years ago, maybe no one had dumped the english copy yet]. It was totally awesome, and it really got me thinking about the cool poo poo other places got that never made it to the states.

I think it was definitely one of the reasons I got into collecting systems/games, and why I got so into emulation. That's another notable benefit it has - access. For instance, I've been playing random items in the FDS catalog, to find stuff I want to buy on disk. The price of FDS disks is usually a little steep for me to take chances with, you know? It's nice having something to try before I buy, so to speak. Also, at least back in the day before I had the cash to buy a setup to play Euro/JPN-only games legit if I wanted to, it provided at least some way to experience those games.

Although it wasn't always as smooth and easy as it is now. Who remembers Super Pasofami?

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
I really must say that for anyone looking to get a bunch of retro games legally, quickly, for cheap, generally well-emulated, good video quality, and close to original feel, getting an older model Wii with Gamecube compatibility and a PS2 is not a bad combination. For all of the griping about the Wii's Virtual Console slowing down with releases and some of the puzzling holes in the lineup (Super C and Contra 3, but no Contra?) there's still a ton of great stuff on the thing, including several rare, import, and rare import titles for 12 bucks or less. Beyond that there are several compilation discs such as Data East Arcade Classics and Midway Arcade Treasures (Gamecube). The PS2 has even more compilations, and EVEN MORE if you're up for importing, though some of those can be pricey. Here's a list of what I can remember off the top of my head across both systems in North America:

Mega Man Anniversary Collection
Mega Man X Collection
Street Fighter Alpha Anthology
Capcom Classics Collection Vol. 1 and 2
Taito Legends 1 and 2
Sega Genesis Collection
Sonic Mega Collection (Plus)
Sonic Gems Collection
Sonic Adventure DX (for Sonic Game Gear games)
Atari Anthology
Activision Anthology
Intellivision Lives!
Fatal Fury Battle Archives Vol. 1 and 2
World Heroes Anthology
Art of Fighting Anthology
SNK Arcade Classics Vol. 1
Metal Slug Anthology
King of Fighters Collection: The Orochi Saga
Samurai Shodown Anthology
Namco Museum
Namco Museum 50th Anniversary
Midway Arcade Treasures 1, 2, and 3
Data East Arcade Classics
Animal Crossing (unlockable NES games!)
Dragon's Lair Trilogy

By my rough calculations that list contains around 450 old games! Granted, not all of them are still fun, were ever fun, or are emulated well, but that's still a lot of real classics to be had for relatively little money (although Mega Man X Collection on Gamecube and Data East Arcade Classics aren't exactly cheap these days.) Even with imperfections many of the arcade games never got a better home port and are still perfectly playable on these compilations.

If you prefer portability then it's worth noting the PSP received ports of varying quality of many of these collections, in addition to a few more of its own.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

fatpat268 posted:

Did anyone ever get a better domain name for that wiki? It will always be obscure until it has a memorable name

Oh, hell with you people. I just bought retrogooning.com

Retro Gooning Dot Com

It's like retro gaming, but you replace "gaming" with "gooning". It is very easy to remember. :toughguy:

DNS should propagate properly for everyone tomorrow. This is how you access the wiki now. If you haven't created an account yet, I can be reached by email, Steam, or forum PM to create one for you -- just click on my profile.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Doug Dinsdale posted:

It was only on PAL. That's why I don't own a copy even though it was the first game I'd localized.
Were you directly responsible for "Ark was crisply toasted! Ark's macho appeal up 10!"? :3:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Saoshyant posted:

Oh, hell with you people. I just bought retrogooning.com

Retro Gooning Dot Com

It's like retro gaming, but you replace "gaming" with "gooning". It is very easy to remember. :toughguy:

DNS should propagate properly for everyone tomorrow. This is how you access the wiki now. If you haven't created an account yet, I can be reached by email, Steam, or forum PM to create one for you -- just click on my profile.

You are the man! I will update the OP when the DNS is fixed.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:

Mammal Sauce posted:

Were you directly responsible for "Ark was crisply toasted! Ark's macho appeal up 10!"? :3:

Probably. I was the only translator/writer on the project (even though a couple NOA handlers took all the credit).

SassyRobot
Jan 19, 2007

ANGRY WASHING duh-duh duh-duh duh-DUH!

Kreeblah posted:

Speaking of video sperging, for those consoles which can't output RGB, S-video, or even composite, there's the Micomsoft DISPL TV. It upscales RF.

Auuugh, this sort of thing would be almost perfect for my old-rear end systems, especially once my current LCD TV dies and I lose the 'legacy' inputs :gonk:... the price, though. If it can output component and I could get verification that it could recognize input from the 2600 or Oddy 2 it'd be easier to justify :(.

This thing from eBay seems similar in function but I'm not sure. I get confused pretty easily.

I need to find a new containment solution for my 2600 games. Three shelf spaces that are three cartridges wide isn't cutting it anymore. I need a way to stack the buggers but they're such an odd height.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

ACID POLICE posted:

Cool, I forgot about that one. Its also half the price of Stone Age Gamer's version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Who's Sandra? She sounds like a hurricane. :v:

Was this metioned yet: the world's only complete, in-box copy of Air Raid was auctioned yesterday for $33,433.30.

• Locked thread