Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
Great rework of the OP!

Any chance we can get some good TV info in there? Like why the Trinitron is currently the reigning king over other tv's? Maybe some things to look for in an old school CRT that will help avoid picking horrible tv's and having a boat anchor lying around?

Also maybe some info on old school gaming on LCD/Plasma/LED vs CRT? I feel that having this info will help some naysayers understand that retro gamers are not crazy for having loving huge rear end tv's, over hooking up to their flat screens. And anytime someone ask's me, I can't explain it well and usually just say "because it feels gooder!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Kilazar posted:

Great rework of the OP!

Any chance we can get some good TV info in there? Like why the Trinitron is currently the reigning king over other tv's? Maybe some things to look for in an old school CRT that will help avoid picking horrible tv's and having a boat anchor lying around?

Also maybe some info on old school gaming on LCD/Plasma/LED vs CRT? I feel that having this info will help some naysayers understand that retro gamers are not crazy for having loving huge rear end tv's, over hooking up to their flat screens. And anytime someone ask's me, I can't explain it well and usually just say "because it feels gooder!"

Re: Trinitrons... The reason why they are the go-to CRT is two-fold:

- They have an excellent video processor
- They have a shitload of ports

Avoid HD Trinitons because they have geometry (and other) issues that keep them from being optimal for 240p/480i (i.e. retro) gaming.

Re: LCD/Plasma/LED... the OP addresses this issue (without explicitly saying as such) when it discusses scalers/post-processors, dot-crawl, and other such topics. Basically a 240p/480i image on a modern TV is not going to look good for a variety of reasons; pretty much the last system that will look good on a modern TV without some kind of 3rd party intermediary is a Dreamcast hooked up via a VGA box.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

zenintrude posted:

Avoid HD Trinitons because they have geometry (and other) issues that keep them from being optimal for 240p/480i (i.e. retro) gaming.

Re: LCD/Plasma/LED... the OP addresses this issue (without explicitly saying as such) when it discusses scalers/post-processors, dot-crawl, and other such topics. Basically a 240p/480i image on a modern TV is not going to look good for a variety of reasons; pretty much the last system that will look good on a modern TV without some kind of 3rd party intermediary is a Dreamcast hooked up via a VGA box.

Ahh ok, I will re read that stuff with that in mind. Thanks! It will be nice to say something other than, cause it feels right.

doritos
Dec 6, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
The trinitron is "better" just because of the aperture grille. Being the high end of tube TVs they did have other features as standard though.

Personally I can't stand it. Just go for whatever CRT tv has the ports you want, and make sure the convergence/focus/misc is set up correctly using some test patterns.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Yeah like, I hooked up my SNES to a lovely tiny TV/VCR combo we had sitting around and it still looked amazing compared to emulation. I'll get a nicer CRT when I have the space, but for now this is fine.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

zenintrude posted:

I am definitely going to add this to the OP; I'll get super-spergy with it but I would like anyone's input since my information might be a year or two out of date. In short, there was no LCD that I found adequate for retro games, but like I said, I'm a lunatic that can notice motion blur on a screen with 2ms response time.

It's only that way with flat/2-d stuff for me, by the way. I don't notice motion blur on an LCD if I'm watching a movie, unless the movie is a cartoon; then I notice it. On the PSP, pretty much any 3-d game looks great to me, but anything with flat graphics (like emulators) and I notice the blur like crazy.

I can't wait until OLED screens are affordable for retro gamin' :allears:

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

SassyRobot posted:

Auuugh, this sort of thing would be almost perfect for my old-rear end systems, especially once my current LCD TV dies and I lose the 'legacy' inputs :gonk:... the price, though. If it can output component and I could get verification that it could recognize input from the 2600 or Oddy 2 it'd be easier to justify :(.

This thing from eBay seems similar in function but I'm not sure. I get confused pretty easily.

I need to find a new containment solution for my 2600 games. Three shelf spaces that are three cartridges wide isn't cutting it anymore. I need a way to stack the buggers but they're such an odd height.

There is one downside I forgot to mention: Japan's RF frequencies barely overlap with the US's and don't overlap at all with Europe's. Channel 1 in Japan is something like channel 96 in the US. So, it'd probably not be possible to run US or European consoles on that thing with RF.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

Saoshyant posted:

Oh, hell with you people. I just bought retrogooning.com

Retro Gooning Dot Com

It's like retro gaming, but you replace "gaming" with "gooning". It is very easy to remember. :toughguy:

DNS should propagate properly for everyone tomorrow. This is how you access the wiki now. If you haven't created an account yet, I can be reached by email, Steam, or forum PM to create one for you -- just click on my profile.

Awesome.

I'll try to update and add some stuff on there.

However, I can't create an account to edit pages:

quote:

You do not have permission to create this user account, for the following reason:
The action you have requested is limited to users in the group: Administrators.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I'm not sure if you are joking. Both the homepage of the wiki and the post you just quoted mention you need to contact me to create an account for you.

Yeah, I'd rather not do it this way either, but SPAM was getting out of control after the third week of the wiki being online and every new anti-SPAM plugin I added just slowed things considerably for the real users, so I settled with the solution the guys on ADTRW sticked with.

vvvv yeah, well, sorry about that. Just created an account for you. Have fun!

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Nov 6, 2012

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

Saoshyant posted:

I'm not sure if you are joking. Both the homepage of the wiki and the post you just quoted mention you need to contact me to create an account for you.

Why would I joke about that? Hell, I spent 5 minutes just trying to figure out how to sign up. Yea, now that you mention it, I see a one line blurb saying I need to contact you but whatever.

But don't worry about it.

On a side note, I just ordered a case of 100 universal game cases.
http://www.mediashelving.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=W&Product_Code=USCG&Category_Code=MED

:retrogames:

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
I just bought a lot of 4 SNES games, worked out to $7 each including shipping: Star Fox, F-Zero, Pilotwings & Stunt Race FX

I assume this begins the quick decent into me burning all my money on SNES games

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

triplexpac posted:

Star Fox, F-Zero, Pilotwings & Stunt Race FX

:) :) :) :v:

Also, no one should have to pay for F-Zero... if someone needs F-Zero, hit me up; I have an extra that you can have for free.

testtubebaby fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Nov 6, 2012

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

tvb posted:

Bravo on that OP. Awesome.

:siren:SECRET SANTA POST:siren:
Since the old thread will probably fall off the face of the earth before the SARGSS names get passed out, I took it upon myself to save everyone's messages from the old thread and aggregate them here (except Wickedicon, who dropped out). This should be everyone. I'll link to this post from the Elfster page, too, so when the time comes, everyone can easily find it. (Note: Elfster says there are 28 participants, but there are 29 here. I can't figure out if I hosed up or if someone just hasn't registered on Elfster yet, but here they are anyway.)

Thanks babe. There is 28 because a guy (WickedIcon) dropped out yesterday. Could you send me the plain text of this in a PM so I can add it on that 2nd post in the thread?

I'm also considering bringing the sign in cut off date forward to a week on Friday (16th) since sign ups have started dropping off.

I've been on the edge of that a few times, but their Canadian shipping is bullshit cost.

midge fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Nov 6, 2012

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Haha yeah, Stunt Race FX wasn't great, but I have fond memories of it for some reason. I look forward to crushing that nostalgia once I pop it in again.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

midge posted:

Thanks babe. There is 28 because a guy (WickedIcon) dropped out yesterday. Could you send me the plain text of this in a PM so I can add it on that 2nd post in the thread?

I'm also considering bringing the sign in cut off date forward to a week on Friday (16th) since sign ups have started dropping off.

I've been on the edge of that a few times, but their Canadian shipping is bullshit cost.

How much was it? It cost $16 to ship to me. I curious what they'd cost to canada.

But yea, international shipping has always been ridiculous. I understand shipping overseas is expensive, but shipping across the border to canada should only differ in a few bucks.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

fatpat268 posted:

How much was it? It cost $16 to ship to me. I curious what they'd cost to canada.

But yea, international shipping has always been ridiculous. I understand shipping overseas is expensive, but shipping across the border to canada should only differ in a few bucks.

From memory it was equal to the cost of the goods and that is before customs get hold of it.

Edit : Ha! I found the quote!

$42.00 (Goods) + $61.06 FedEx Ground Int'l Shipping + $25.00 Cross Border Fees* = $128.06 USD$(FOB Simi Valley CA)

So $128 for $42 of goods.

If any goon could buy these fuckers in bulk and resell them to me I'd give 100 blowjobs in return....and I have bad jaw; that's commitment!

There is at least 4 Toronto goons in this thread that post (I know one in person and I've chatted with triplexpac enough to know where he lives). So we could make a bulk purchase from you and split the spoils!

midge fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Nov 6, 2012

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
I got the Players' Choice edition of F-Zero CIB for $3 once. It's no longer CIB.

Minesweep
Oct 6, 2010

Everyone here is forgetting the real reason to use a crt. Light guns. :colbert:

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
I've been looking on and off for F-Zero on ebay the past couple weeks, it always seems to be around $8-10 (including shipping to Canada). A local video game store had it for 20, which I laughed at. So I don't mind the $7 shipped I paid too much.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011
What's the best way to clean the snes cartridge slot?

Reason why I ask, because mine seems super sensitive to the tiniest amount of dirt being on a cartridge (as in, I clean the cart itself with qtip+isopropyl, and two days later I need to do it again). I know nintendo sold one using these flat pads in a cartridge, but I'd rather do it with stuff I have on hand.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

zenintrude posted:

Also, no one should have to pay for F-Zero... if someone needs F-Zero, hit me up; I have an extra that you can have for free.

My retro shop (Game Over Videogames in San Marcos) sells it for $12 cart only and like $25 CIB.

...can I have it? :ohdear:

(I don't have PMs otherwise I would PM you instead of posting)

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

fatpat268 posted:

What's the best way to clean the snes cartridge slot?

Alcohol dampened t-shirt wrapped around a credit card is the standard cartridge slot cleaning solution.

WickedIcon posted:

My retro shop (Game Over Videogames in San Marcos) sells it for $12 cart only and like $25 CIB.

...can I have it? :ohdear:

(I don't have PMs otherwise I would PM you instead of posting)

I'm confused by the "my"... is it meant to be as in that's the shop you frequent or that's the shop you own?

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

zenintrude posted:

Alcohol dampened t-shirt wrapped around a credit card is the standard cartridge slot cleaning solution.

Thanks, I'll have to give that a try. Never even thought of that. Ingenious.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Doug Dinsdale posted:

Probably. I was the only translator/writer on the project (even though a couple NOA handlers took all the credit).

Oh wow. Do you remember if Nintendo seriously considered releasing Terranigma in North America? There were rumors about it hitting the U.S. in early 1996 (possibly even under the title "Genesis"), but nothing came of that, of course.

Of all the Super Famicom games that were never released in the U.S., Terranigma strikes me as the greatest loss. It's a fantastic action-RPG, an excellent sendoff for Quintet's Actraiser/Soul Blazer/Illusion of Gaia games and the entire 16-bit era itself. Such a shame that Nintendo had a perfectly fine localized version and only released it in PAL territories.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

zenintrude posted:

Genius. I'm gonna try this when I get home if I can remember to, my NES is flashing pink and won't load any cartridges at all, and I'm hoping I don't have to do surgery on 'er.

Is that a 10NES thing?

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

zenintrude posted:

I'm confused by the "my"... is it meant to be as in that's the shop you frequent or that's the shop you own?

The one I frequent. I wouldn't be asking for free games if I owned a retro shop. :v:

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

WickedIcon posted:

The one I frequent. I wouldn't be asking for free games if I owned a retro shop. :v:

Well I would hope not, but you never know! :haw:

I went to several Game Over Videogames when I visited friends in Austin, and almost all of their prices seemed high... often absurdly high. A manager I chatted with said that they charged something like $25 for copies of SMW and would sell out of them on a weekly basis, so why would they charge less; I suppose I couldn't argue with that, but :drat: have people in Texas not heard of Ebay?

Email me your shipping info and I'll send you some future racing for your Nintendo machine: zenintrude at gmail.com

vvv Too late :( vvv

testtubebaby fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Nov 6, 2012

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

zenintrude posted:

:) :) :) :v:

OMG I could use a copy of f-zero! I have not been lucky in finding one local. I'll cover shipping! 73120. No PMS. If it is still available let me know and I'll pop my email in here.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Ineffiable posted:

I was going to put on Mischief Makers (but I already had enough), but regarding Space Station Silicon Valley? It's a hard as balls game with an unbeatable ending thanks to a glitch. I admit it's unique and a cool idea, but I dunno, I just feel soured on the entire thing.

From the last page, but could you remind me what that glitch was? I freaking love Silicon Valley, one of my favorite N64 games, and I'm like 90% certain I've seen the end screen. Also you're list is awesome, props for Body Harvest and Blast Corps.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.

Code Jockey posted:

Genius. I'm gonna try this when I get home if I can remember to, my NES is flashing pink and won't load any cartridges at all, and I'm hoping I don't have to do surgery on 'er.
Don't be scared. I bent every pin back into place on my NES for the first time last week. It wasn't hard. Just a little time consuming.

SassyRobot
Jan 19, 2007

ANGRY WASHING duh-duh duh-duh duh-DUH!

Kreeblah posted:

There is one downside I forgot to mention: Japan's RF frequencies barely overlap with the US's and don't overlap at all with Europe's. Channel 1 in Japan is something like channel 96 in the US. So, it'd probably not be possible to run US or European consoles on that thing with RF.

You mean the box itself may not 'see' the frequency? What about the demodulator? Basically I'm looking for a way to convert the RF signal into composite or something similar without modifying systems. You can get modded 2600 or 7800 units but what about the Oddy 2? It'd just be less hassle to have one conversion unit to run multiple systems through rather than modding them all :3:.

tvb
Dec 22, 2004

We don't understand Chinese, dude!
Here's a retro swag question: Anyone have a copy of this?

It's dated 1992-1993, and it's a full color comic book -- I don't remember, but apparently they ran separately in Nintendo Power, and were collected in this book. I have had this copy for years and years, and it's in pristine condition. It's mostly geared toward kids, but the art has a really distinct, fun style and the colors pop like you wouldn't believe. The pictures don't do it justice.

Anyway, you can find more detailed info about it here, but I can't find any information about how rare it might be. All I know is that it's long out of print, but I can't track down any copies on ebay or Amazon that don't have ridiculous asking prices. Any ideas? Does anyone else have this book?

vkeios
May 7, 2007

As a child, i knew someone who had one; so I got to read it that way. There's also a Zelda LTTP book which was drawn by Shotaro Ishinomori, thats totally fantastic as well.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
I used to have all the Nintendo Powers that had those comics, as well as the Zelda ones. They were pretty fun.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

zenintrude posted:

Well I would hope not, but you never know! :haw:

I went to several Game Over Videogames when I visited friends in Austin, and almost all of their prices seemed high... often absurdly high. A manager I chatted with said that they charged something like $25 for copies of SMW and would sell out of them on a weekly basis, so why would they charge less; I suppose I couldn't argue with that, but :drat: have people in Texas not heard of Ebay?

Yeah, Game Over is seriously insane. They have a great selection most of the time, but on the flipside, most of their common games cost $10-15, sports games cost $5 to $10, and anything popular has the price jacked up to insane levels.

I bought a copy of SMW from them for $30. :retrogames:

e: Emailed you my info. :)

Also worth noting is that their console prices are equally batshit crazy. $70 for a SNES. $40 for a Genesis, which is... a little better (especially since you can check in-store and see if it's a good model), but still not great. The only thing they have that isn't absurdly overpriced is the original brick PSX, which is $20.

SALT CURES HAM fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Nov 6, 2012

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Tobaccrow posted:

Don't be scared. I bent every pin back into place on my NES for the first time last week. It wasn't hard. Just a little time consuming.

After spending half a day slowly, meticulously tearing down my Twin Famicom to do that loving belt replacement and cleaning, I can take it.

Which reminds me I really need to go adjust that stupid disk head and get the thing working.

Alright dorks, what's the availability/cost on blank disks and a device capable of writing them? Or, does anyone reputable do FDS repros? Anyone know?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
So since vintage game stores are generally way overpriced, where do you guys buy your games? ebay?

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin

triplexpac posted:

So since vintage game stores are generally way overpriced, where do you guys buy your games? ebay?
Have you tried SA-Mart?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

voltron lion force posted:

From the last page, but could you remind me what that glitch was? I freaking love Silicon Valley, one of my favorite N64 games, and I'm like 90% certain I've seen the end screen. Also you're list is awesome, props for Body Harvest and Blast Corps.

I go by the GCCX logic of 'if you haven't seen the good ending, you haven't beat the game'

One of the trinkets you have to collect to get the good ending doesn't have any events flags set for it. It is literally a model that hovers and cannot be picked up. Your character will just go through it.

Without it, you can't get the true/good ending.

So really, you saw a ending but did you really beat the game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

triplexpac posted:

Garage sales for me. And sometimes Half Priced books has some games. Flea markets are good sometimes as well. Though I have not hit any since OKC sucks for them. So mileage may vary depending on area. Local craigslist is good as well at times.

Also, for some really good ideas on how to game hunt, check out the game chasers https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDYhMBSCODI

I learned a lot from them, and the shows are pretty damned entertaining.

quote:

Have you tried SA-Mart?

You have to be damned fast to beat goons on SA mart. I some goons are on top of every vintage game sale within minutes of it posting.

Kilazar fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Nov 6, 2012

• Locked thread