Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

What I didn't like about res for kills was how little effect it would be to put down really good players. Kill that 30/0 fade? Well he's gonna fade again immediately because he is swimming in blood money. Once a good fade would spin up you would slam into that murder machine until the game grinds out an hour later. Likewise for a good marine jetpacker. He'll be back with a shortly, welder, and JP again and again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Garfu posted:

It is extremely important to use parasite in the early game. If you've seen me play, I always land a parasite before I go in for a 2 bite kill. This is a very important skill/tactic. Later in the game it doesn't matter as much because of the marine armor, but it is still a good idea to parasite marines so you can see them on the map, it's just not necessary to parasite them as you're going in for the kill. By the time leap comes out I use my energy for leaping, not parasite, only in regards to going in for kills. If I spot a marine far away I will still parasite them, regardless of leap.

edit: It used to be cured with a med pack. I kind of liked that because it forced the commander to drop a medpack on you and use res. The armory wouldn't heal it so you were forever parasited unless you medpacked.

The fact that it goes away after 30 seconds means it's basically useless for map knowledge because if you see someone then you probably know where they are going to be for 30 seconds anyway. Marines don't fly around the map in the early game so if someone is walking through lava falls regardless of parasite or not you know for the next 30 seconds they are gonna be moving through lava falls. It's just not useful for that especially when you can stop at any armory to get rid of it too.

I would be fine with parasite if it lasted forever. I would even be ok with it being cured by the armory if that was the case but a 30 second sight time that can't be seen anywhere on the map ontop of being easily cured? Useless for anything but damage.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
Can't be seen anywhere on the map? what? Press C?

Parasite is useful, every good player uses it.

Gormless Gormster
Jul 28, 2012

AVE IMPERATOR!

Or something

floor is lava posted:

Being a commander can be really frustrating. Sometimes you'll have a bunch of jerk asses that won't listen but then again you are a mod here you might be able to handle it.

Its about charisma as much as skill. That's why a mic is pretty much a prerequisite for commanding. Obtuse players can be won over by good old fashion pleading/shouting.

Though honestly, the vast majority of teams are pretty obedient so it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

RadicalWall
May 31, 2005

I have no idea whats going on.
My only problem with parasite is that it tends to give up the element of surprise that's so important to skulk play.

It's like saying "Hey! Be on your guard! Skulk in the room!"

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

RadicalWall posted:

My only problem with parasite is that it tends to give up the element of surprise that's so important to skulk play.

I used to often parasite marines and just run over to the other side of the map and see what was happening over there while keeping tabs on the newly-tagged marines but that doesn't work any more for multiple reasons.

Lexusbeat
Jul 8, 2008

Gormless Gormster posted:

Its about charisma as much as skill. That's why a mic is pretty much a prerequisite for commanding. Obtuse players can be won over by good old fashion pleading/shouting.

Though honestly, the vast majority of teams are pretty obedient so it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Most people like winning so when you actually talk they become ecstatic at the prospect you won't be an awful silent commander that doesn't upgrade anything.

Also, its hard to make a bad order. "X please kill the skulk in ore processing, we need that res for grenadelaunchers/Armour upgrades/ weapons upgrades". Saying thanks and good job, helps way more than you would think too.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

voltron lion force posted:

It basically means that the leading team is granted increasingly greater advantages over the losing team until eventually it becomes no contest.

I wouldn't mind them implementing this in the game. Some matches just drag on for-loving-ever and it's brutal on the other team.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Given the RTS game occurring on top of the team fps, it would be a bad idea to allow players to snowball based off individual performance, it would hurt the rts side. That's my opinion as a very new player anyway.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Fallom posted:

I wouldn't mind them implementing this in the game. Some matches just drag on for-loving-ever and it's brutal on the other team.

Most matches drag on forever due to the newness (in part) of the teams playing. Both sides have ridiculous end-game closers that can very honestly break anything the opposing team can throw at it. Before you say "BUT THERE WAS THIS TIME WHEN...", I'll preface that by saying 1 hive/chair for the turtling team, essentially limitless res for the attacking team, etc.

There are ridiculous come-backs (as posted in this very thread!) which make this game great. But the RFK system was really, really awful as it rewarded more player skill than strategy at the game. And while skill should be a factor, it should not be the only one.

Combat? Sure, go for it. But not in my ns_ :colbert:

Gormless Gormster
Jul 28, 2012

AVE IMPERATOR!

Or something

Lexusbeat posted:

Also, its hard to make a bad order. "X please kill the skulk in ore processing, we need that res for grenadelaunchers/Armour upgrades/ weapons upgrades". Saying thanks and good job, helps way more than you would think too.

Its pretty easy to make a bad strategic call, which you should be concerned about more. Say, aimlessly throwing men away in twos and threes trying to hang on to a double resource point. Seriously, one of my commanders spent the entire game doing that. We lost and I decided that I wouldn't trust anyone else to command.

Also, here's a useful strategy.

Feinting - Most of my team was pushing hard on an alien hive but was getting stalemated by a ferocious enemy defense. So I sent four men over to hit another hive they'd left exposed and poorly defended, while having fully three quarters of my attacking group stop attacking and staying out of sight. I even pressed enter and ordered my team to push that hive, while whispering "ITS A TRICK GUYS." over the mic. The alien commander panicked, sent most of his troops over to the other hive and slaughtered my feinting group, but not before I claimed my third base.

DrGreatJob
Oct 3, 2006

we fuck each other very well and we have a lot of energy from eating plantfoods
Totally works. That's like the whole purpose of getting Marines to beacon as Aliens. Controlling the other team is as important as controlling the map.

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

DelphiAegis posted:

There are ridiculous come-backs (as posted in this very thread!) which make this game great. But the RFK system was really, really awful as it rewarded more player skill than strategy at the game. And while skill should be a factor, it should not be the only one.

Is res really what's stopping people from winning with complete map control anyway? I felt like RFK was a much bigger factor in early-mid game when the one dude who was insane at killing people was able to get an early hive or fade.

If we need to do something to make closing games easier, I'd prefer just giving the comm a discount on building stuff and dropping gear when they control the whole map. Or buffing "endgame" abilities.

thetrin
May 4, 2009

I pull down the curtain, wantin to do me some dirtin aint nuthin better then jerkin my gerkin so I start with some flirtin

But my magic find aint working so I can't do no spurtin its got Wirt's feelins all hurtin, and his wooden leg stops all perking
Are there goon groups pub stomping? I would love to play with other goons instead of with pubs who go in different directions and don't have a strategic Comm.

RadicalWall
May 31, 2005

I have no idea whats going on.

thetrin posted:

Are there goon groups pub stomping? I would love to play with other goons instead of with pubs who go in different directions and don't have a strategic Comm.

It would be pretty hard to pub stomp in this game. You'd have to somehow keep everyone else off your team.

Maybe you could get a group of 3-4 going though.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Chomposaur posted:

Is res really what's stopping people from winning with complete map control anyway? I felt like RFK was a much bigger factor in early-mid game when the one dude who was insane at killing people was able to get an early hive or fade.

If we need to do something to make closing games easier, I'd prefer just giving the comm a discount on building stuff and dropping gear when they control the whole map. Or buffing "endgame" abilities.

Well, I should be clearer, I apologize. The endgame abilities are fine (exo/welderJP/mac/ARC train vs oni/gorge support with fade/lerk and whipbomb trains), but sometimes the knowledge of such escape those playing the game, since it's still (relatively) new.

A lot of matches end with just exos, or just an onos. I actually had a comm research vortex today and the fade used it to ridiculous effect in the main base. Things like that. A fair percentage of the pubbing server doesn't know these things (yet!).

Lexusbeat
Jul 8, 2008

Its pretty easy to make a bad strategic call, which you should be concerned about more.
Oh yeah for sure, I had a similar game with a double resource point. The commander took it and didn't seem to realize that capturing the other half of the map should be a priority after that, as there are lots of res nodes over there! I just meant that the commander talking at all is generally a good sign at this point.

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM
Most games have lots of people talking on Mic and working together. I don't really see pub stomping as the game forces player balance hard.

Skulk Tips:

When attacking a structure don't bite at it and stare at it. Look to the side and you will be able to bite and watch for incoming marines.

Run around the feet of Exos and bite them low. It's hard to attack the fast moving short skulk as an Exos. Even if you die it's low penalty for you to respawn vs the potential of taking an Exos down. Try playing as an Exos sometime to get an idea of it's weaknesses.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Exos are infinitely more dangerous when they travel in a line with a good 10-20 feet between one another. Having the Exo behind you covering your ankles makes you infinitely more dangerous. A lone Exo is just deadmeat to any alien if they rush you because you can't turn around fast enough so you gotta hope you get some lucky hits.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib

It's like trying to herd cats.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Other than the parasite, something I really miss is being able to teleport between the hives. I hate it when I need to get cross-map or I spawn in a quiet hive. I was pretty excited when I thought that is what the shift building did, but no such luck.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

What exactly do you guys use the skulk leap ability for? I've noticed that it doesn't seem to do any damage and it only really seems useful for depleting all of my energy. Is it just something to use as a gap closer or to escape?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

bees everywhere posted:

What exactly do you guys use the skulk leap ability for? I've noticed that it doesn't seem to do any damage and it only really seems useful for depleting all of my energy. Is it just something to use as a gap closer or to escape?

Yes exactly, it's incredibly useful.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

bees everywhere posted:

Is it just something to use as a gap closer or to escape?

This and confusing people cause you can suddenly change your angle of moment.

Gormless Gormster
Jul 28, 2012

AVE IMPERATOR!

Or something

floor is lava posted:

It's like trying to herd cats.

That's only true when you're commanding a new team for the first time. Once you dazzle them with your tactical genius, the second round will be much easier.

They'll be in awe, you see. They'll place their lives willingly in your hands and trust you to lead them to glorious victory a second time. You'll start asking "Who else wants to command?" as a formality, because everyone will want YOU to do it.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I have definitely won the greater majority of games when commanding. Near perfect record as the alien com, a few more losses as marines. The biggest contributors to those losses were Marines that refused to follow orders even when I spammed them. That's not to say I haven't lost games based on my strategy and build orders because I have, but they were nothing like stubborn marines.

Had one of those games earlier today where my marines just wouldn't follow orders. They refused to stick around the closest expansion to setup a phase and a com chair (cafeteria) and just flat out refused to return to it. Instead they demanded I build a further expansion (which I relented on to not fall behind on tech). All the while some guy was in main base just bitching and begging for sentries at home while railing against my plans. The game completely fell apart when the aliens dropped a hive in cafeteria which had our main completely surrounded. I couldn't even get marines to rush an unguarded hive between our too expansions! Madness!

Gormless Gormster
Jul 28, 2012

AVE IMPERATOR!

Or something

Goodpancakes posted:

Had one of those games earlier today where my marines just wouldn't follow orders. They refused to stick around the closest expansion to setup a phase and a com chair (cafeteria) and just flat out refused to return to it. Instead they demanded I build a further expansion (which I relented on to not fall behind on tech). All the while some guy was in main base just bitching and begging for sentries at home while railing against my plans. The game completely fell apart when the aliens dropped a hive in cafeteria which had our main completely surrounded. I couldn't even get marines to rush an unguarded hive between our too expansions! Madness!

Holy crap. You should have refused to command because drat those guys sound like dickheads.

Maybe I've just gotten lucky with my near unbroken string of command victories because I have neither heard of such a dysfunctional team nor played with one yet.

Except for that one time a troll jumped in the command chair and I led the entire team in a strike (We paraded around the command chair and refused to fight) until he stepped down. Still that was justified because he was dropping thousands of infantry portals in the hallway.

Barent
Jun 15, 2007

Never die in vain.
You know you can vote to eject the commander, right? Not that going on a strike in a video game isn't awesome.

Gormless Gormster
Jul 28, 2012

AVE IMPERATOR!

Or something

Barent posted:

Not that going on a strike in a video game isn't awesome.

Someone only pointed out the eject option after we did it.

Also yes, the strike was awesome and a couple of skulks joined us. (We couldn't shoot them, we were striking.)

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Hahahahahaha.

You were just being useful idiots while the Union of Soviet Skulk Republics spread its influence around the map.

Quilmes
Aug 21, 2012
There are many maps with multiple hives that can be hit from outside the room. Marines can just sit there with grenade launchers/ 4 exos, not even enter the room and kill the hive/everything while being in a super easy to defend choke. Hopefully we get some maps that remove what I believe is a pretty big advantage for marines.

Loving the game so far. So much fun :)

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

I had THE MOST EPIC game ever I've ever had of NS just last night.

Mineshaft 6v6, exos are up and I am the onos, we have a shade and shift hive because our comm is new ("See the hive? Now select 'crag' and we can get carapace and regen - no dude thats shade, just hit cancel and change it..no hit cancel, come on hit cancel quickly, hurry up, no no NOOO. poo poo.") but he just left because he doesn't know what the gently caress anymore. Exos are pushing into sorting from deposit and we are losing it fast. Luckily we just killed repair (the marines aren't so organised themselves) and we fight them hard at cave for about 10 minutes but to no avail. All upgrades are gone and they are heading for repair.

I decide to double back across central to through brew and kill deposit, no one notices, and we drop the hive as they come into repair. It goes down and everyone dies while the hive is going up. I am on my own as a regen/adren onos at this point, and the marine comm reveals for some random reason it is his first time and he has no idea what he is doing. Lucky me! Deposit finishes and I jump in and make it a shift hive, I spawn eggs out the wazoo and run over to sorting, killing the res on the way. When I get back in the hive they haven't dropped sorting OR cave tech points - I figure sorting is kind of close to deposit, so I drop cave and all the res in between, but now they are right outside our door at deposit. It is me and one gorge vs 5 exos - I run in and out about dozen times, the gorge is spamming heals and bile from the door. It takes about 15 minutes to get about 3 of them down, as well as their support.

I figure there must be something to do, the rest of the team is just throwing themselves as skulks into the exo train, no one has found cave yet, but jp's are keeping our res down. I decide to head back out across central up the gap - No one is in operations! I go straight for the arms lab, someone is spawning just as it dies and thankfully, they die very very fast, so only one lab was up. I kill the IP's and chair (they didn't rebuild any others! They only have exos!) but in my absence the train has pushed into deposit! THEY GOT IT DOWN. FUCKKKKK.

I am now shift sprinting my onos all the way down to repair and across cavern, cave is on about 20% "KILL THE EXO" I'm screaming; probably not even holding the mic button down. I reach cave and gore my way through the walking cannon, and as the mist clears I see two words.

:siren:ALIENS LOSE:siren:

That was the best 66 minutes of my life :awesome:

TheMostFrench fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Nov 7, 2012

Gormless Gormster
Jul 28, 2012

AVE IMPERATOR!

Or something

AgentF posted:

Hahahahahaha.

You were just being useful idiots while the Union of Soviet Skulk Republics spread its influence around the map.

Its alright, once I got in the chair my tactical genius saved the day (No it didn't. The skulks were already all watching us in our main base.)

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
This game has been growing on me I think. I never played NS1 but I played the very old Quake 2 mod called Gloom (I really wonder if NS started from that cause there are a lot of similarities?) and have been having a lot of fun as aliens as much as marine. I have yet to try commander but I'll give explore mode a try first I guess.

I played Lerk for the first time yesterday and that flying mechanic is really fun to abuse. Also fart over marines all day every day.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

FuSchnick posted:

Why the heck does this game even have a score?

Because it lets you tell who is contributing to the team effort the most, and therefore who should be getting your sweet comm-dropped eggs and guns.

The correct question is "why the hell does this game even have a KD:R?" because its existence encourages terrible pubbies and dumb newbies to play stealthy stalky skulk instead of actually helping the team win.

Faffel posted:

A goon game is the worst place to try to learn or have fun or win at a game. I thought you were experienced with goons!

NS2 goons are friendly and will answer your questions. You should never hesitate to ask them if you're on the NS2goons server.

e;

Magres posted:

Live up to the name. Skulk about, look for lone Marines, set up ambushes. Be a sneaky, opportunistic little oval office.

No, don't loving do this. If you do this you are essentially wasting a slot on the alien team. You're not playing a loving stealth game, you're the expendable meat-grinder-fodder on your team. Always be rushing with other skulks.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Nov 7, 2012

Frozenfries
Nov 1, 2012
Just had my first go at being a Comm, and it brought back traumatic memories of SC2 when I was playing that all serious and I was getting all anxious :smithicide: That said I didn't do TOO badly for a first time, as I managed to get my marines a good stream of upgrades, phase gates and lots of fast heal and ammo drops + scans. We ended up getting loving destroyed anyway though because half the other team were a clan and competitive. Nice team to pop my comm cherry against.

I think I'll stick to being a frontline beast though. I know how to shoot/skulk and I do it well. Life of a grunt, man. :colbert:

Chucullinn
Dec 9, 2008
Can anyone give me the IPs or names of the goon servers? I'm EU but I don't have a problem playing on some West Coast servers.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Chomposaur posted:

I'd prefer just giving the comm a discount on building stuff and dropping gear when they control the whole map.
It's called "Having eight resource towers".

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Lemon Curdistan posted:

No, don't loving do this. If you do this you are essentially wasting a slot on the alien team. You're not playing a loving stealth game, you're the expendable meat-grinder-fodder on your team. Always be rushing with other skulks.
To clarify on this: Sure, if you hear a guy building an RT you should sneak up on him and eat him, come at him from the sides/ceiling, crouch-walk around the corner so he keeps his back to you etc. Sneaking up to the base to squeeze in a few chomps on the power node whatever is also good stuff. But don't hang around somewhere clinging to a ceiling and masturbating about what a ninja you are. That's what Hydras are for. The only thing a Skulk should ever be "guarding" is a Gorge trying to set up frontline defences or a risky hive build, and even then that's situational.

Be offensive and sneaky, not a camper.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Nov 7, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

RadicalWall posted:

Personally I think parasite should do no damage but instead apply an invisible debuff that causes the marine to take extra damage on his next bite.

• Locked thread