Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
Also... gently caress Top Gun. That game is the bane of my youth!

When I got my first nintendo back in the day, that was the fist game my parents bought me. And the only game I had other than mario/dhunt that I had for loving months.

I was so happy the first time I landed on the aircraft carrier after 3 weeks of playing the poo poo out of that game. It was a god send when I finally got my second game (gauntlet). After that, I never touched that poo poo again.

Might have to load that up for some nostalgic frustration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Peachstapler posted:

Watch it be that other gold cart.

This thread would have a meltdown.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

zenintrude posted:

This thread would have a meltdown.

What other gold cart would that be?

JJJJJS
Sep 17, 2007

Kilazar posted:

*edit* also.. I guess I should have asked. Is this allowed in the thread? If not I'll hook up on the IRC later and see if anyone wants them. I'd like to stay away from re sellers nabbin stuff.

In regards to selling in this thread, I think this is something we should figure out sooner rather than later. I'd much rather let other retro goons have first crack at something before going to SA-Mart or something else. Maybe get a general consensus on whether or not to allow it?

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Kilazar posted:

What other gold cart would that be?

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
That would be awesome, but I highly doubt it. OKC isn't exactly the gaming mecha that other cities are. So I think the chances of one of those bad boys being here are slim to none.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

JJJJJS posted:

In regards to selling in this thread, I think this is something we should figure out sooner rather than later. I'd much rather let other retro goons have first crack at something before going to SA-Mart or something else. Maybe get a general consensus on whether or not to allow it?

I'm for it. I would rather see my crap go to people that will put it in their collection for reasonable prices.

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin

Kilazar posted:

That would be awesome, but I highly doubt it. OKC isn't exactly the gaming mecha that other cities are. So I think the chances of one of those bad boys being here are slim to none.
You're probably right, but in any case, I hope you're posting this from your car with that $40 in the other hand.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
Already made arrangements with the seller. My friend is on his way to nab it for me. Moore is a 35 minute drive away from me, and he lives down in that area.

And I will get it from him on Saturday when I have time to make the drive.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

I'm also for being able to sell and trade games strictly within this thread. The mods might not go for it, though. We used to do something similar in the action figure thread in BSS and got told to bring it to SA Mart.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
We might need a system for selling to goons that's related to the wiki or #retrochat or something. We've had people in the other thread try to sale things to unload stuff to for the sake of making money and not for passing on deals to goons.
Thoughts? Suggestions?

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

cosmicjim posted:

We might need a system for selling to goons that's related to the wiki or #retrochat or something. We've had people in the other thread try to sale things to unload stuff to for the sake of making money and not for passing on deals to goons.
Thoughts? Suggestions?

Agreed, some kind of external site (ala the Wiki) where people would have to register/be vetted through a central party. Perhaps people could list not only the games they have for sale, but also games that they're on the hunt for... Maybe this would encourage people to work out creative trades and save people from giving Paypal more money than they already do.

It would have the benefit of not cluttering this thread up with individual business as well as keeping mods from having to crack down on us for doing dealings on site yet outside of SA-Mart.

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin
The freelancing thread in Creative Convention operates like a long thread of advertisements, I don't see why someone posting a brief reply in this thread would harm the flow of things (unless it overtook the retro gaming discussion atmosphere).

"I found game X and Y and this accompanying console at a flea market in a lot, don't want it, y'all can make offers via PM if interested". Or come up with a small, Ctrl-C/V template that folks can use.

Item(s) for sale: Video Games X, Y, and Z
Price: $$$
How to contact: PM or (email)

Something like the above is innocent enough but it could get out of hand if people are posting lots of "ads". Mods would see this heavy use as a distraction from the discussion aspect of the thread and advise moving transactions to SA-Mart entirely. External site would be neat but then again, what's stopping it from becoming another SA-Mart and inviting the same culture along with it?

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
We can all make profiles on http://gametz.com/ and stop this overengineering!

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

midge posted:

We can all make profiles on http://gametz.com/ and stop this overengineering!

I can't hit that from work >.<

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Kilazar posted:

my wife is going to yell at me for this.

Awww man, perfect thread title.

Retro Gaming Megathread: My Wife Is Going To Yell At Me For This

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Code Jockey posted:

Awww man, perfect thread title.

Retro Gaming Megathread: My Wife Is Going To Yell At Me For This

I know right! Too bad I missed the discussion on title in the other thread. However I find the current title to be painfully accurate.

I still have not hooked up that trinitron I bought last week. I think the last time I played a retro game was 2 months ago when I decided to go through mega man x with a friend. I have since purchased 2 other games, and have yet to test them.

Kilazar fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Nov 6, 2012

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Peachstapler posted:

External site would be neat but then again, what's stopping it from becoming another SA-Mart and inviting the same culture along with it?

We would be the ones stopping it. We can identify abusers well enough and deal with them.
Personally, I'm annoyed when someone tries to sell anything in the thread without pm's and it takes 5 posts between parties to get it sorted. Especially, in a thread that now sometimes hits 100 posts a day.
I'm happy with the free stuff or offered services, though. Those fill our hearts with fuzzy kittens.

And speaking of free stuff. Zen and Verariaiaiai Archon. I should get your games sent out this week. There was an extra delay when I tested rock'n roll racing and it didn't boot up. Took me awhile to figure out where I put my gamebits and cleaner. Got it going today. Archon's game being delayed was collateral damage:)

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Excellent OP, much more info than the original ever gave.

3 more days till payday check destruction. :retrogames::getin::retrogames:

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

Peachstapler posted:

She can render a stylized female form quite well, so Samus is an obvious choice

zenintrude posted:

I was about to say, "She looks like she could do a pretty good Samus."

Samus is a pretty obvious choice. Sega doesn't really have many smoking hot mascots (I LOVE YOU BLAZE). I've sent the request, now we just sit back and wait :)

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Got this in the mail today:

Thanks zari-gani!

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
everybody talking about craigslist inspired me to take a look, where I found this lot:

"Game gear with games.The games are super columns, the berenstein bears, bugs bunny double trouble, nfl 95, nhl all star, ecco the tides of time, sonic the hedgehog, sonic 2 the hedgehog, sonic chaos, and lion king. You will also get the master system converter add on"

for 30 bucks.

In discussions about picking it up now.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
Does anyone want my CIB Tetris Attack or cartridge only Kirby Super Star?

I love both games, I just have their Japanese equivalents on the way and kind of want to keep expanding my SFC collection. I can't stop!

(i never realized it was okay to offer games in this thread)

edit: Also if anyone wants a really cheap USA Saturn console (the good model to mod), I just posted about it in SA Mart and would be more than happy to sell to a retro games thread dude: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3516059

Bing the Noize fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Nov 7, 2012

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
I just got back from voting and decided to stop by one of the stores that sells games in my town and picked this up for a whopping $6.

It's not in the greatest condition, but I'm sure I could clean it up enough to where it looks fantastic, which leads me to a question. How do I get scotch tape off a cart when it's partly on a label as seen here (sorry for the blurry mess of a picture)? I've gotten rental stickers off using a hair dryer on it's lowest setting, but I dunno if scotch tape should be treated differently to preserve the label.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

On the "I really shouldn't be allowed into those places" front I stopped in a local game store last night thinking about buying a Genesis since it's so cheap to collect. Despite having okay prices (I might be able to do a couple of bucks cheaper on eBay after shipping) I talked myself out of it because I didn't want to spend the money right that minute. If they had more games that I was looking for I might not have been able to resist but their selection of games that I wanted for my collection was kind of sparse.

Unfortunately I didn't escape the :retrogames:. I picked up the whole Super Star Wars series of games and Cybernator for $5 each.

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

I think I'm having a stroke...
Boy howdy, a new thread and it's already growing in size!

In its honor, I bought Friday The 13th for the NES. Don't know why. It's a poo poo game.

JJJJJS
Sep 17, 2007
I'm in the process of organizing my game room. It's reached the point where there's just too much stuff and not enough of it is organized in any sane way. As documentation, and since this new thread doesn't have enough pictures yet, I decided to take a few pictures today.

These are just a few of my favorite items from the collection out on display. The bottom shelf is completely disorganized and most of the stuff on that shelf needs to be filed away.

The beginning of the console wall. The idea here is to have one of every major revision for each console I own on display. It's not much right now, but don't worry there are more systems hanging around.

Another wall of display worthy items. Plus Shadow and a NUON thrown in for comedy.

A year and a half ago I would have said that one can't have too many consoles. I'm beginning to rethink that stance. These pics are consoles that aren't on display right now. I clearly have almost, maybe enough.

Sega disc based consoles!

Genesisssss, Genesi, whatever!

Playstation! N64! NES! Dreamcast!

Have you played Atari today? I sure as hell have.

Miyamoto's RGB, your wife and my girlfriend should talk.

Stuff currently hooked up. Also those wire cubby hole things suck.

I didn't bother taking pictures of most of the games. There are also about 20 more consoles around....a couple more SNES', CDI, a few 3DOs, some PS2 and PS3 consoles as well as a wii and two more 360 systems and of course 15 or so Game Gears that I didn't feel like dragging out.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Good lord, what an OP. :golfclap:

Final Fantasy IV (Final Fantasy II SNES) should, without a shadow of a doubt, be in "God-Tier".

Also, feel free to put U.N. Squadron and Super Mario RPG in "Great-Tier".

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone else playing this on Colecovision to celebrate the big day?

Erluk
Nov 11, 2007

"If you can't beat 'em, STRANGLE 'EM"

Today I got my package containing Super R-Type and opened it up to see this:

It was only five dollars with shipping, so I'm not too upset. It's a little more of a bummer since I could tell that it was in really good condition before breaking, but :shrug:

So remember kids: put your games in good packaging!

Ninja edit: That picture doesn't really do it justice because the front part is cracked and poo poo.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
I've seen SNES cartridges take some pretty hosed up abuse but I have yet to see one that's actually broken. That sucks, something heavy must have fallen on it.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
JJJJJS, that is an incredible collection. Good thing you and I live far apart; it would end up looking like two meth heads hanging out, except high on retr0brite

I think the exclusive selling thing is a great idea. I've actually never sold anything video game related outside of this thread, because the idea of it going to someone who wouldn't appreciate it bothers me.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Same deal, I've got stuff I'm willing to borderline give away, I just want it to go to someone who will use it :ohdear:

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

JJJJJS posted:

Genesisssss, Genesi, whatever!

You're missing the Genesis 3 :unsmigghh:

And the AtGames Genesis that's being sold right now if that counts

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
I don't have any Genesis systems. Someone who just wants to throw out their Genesis 3 should send it to me

e: On that note, PM me if you have an extra grey Dual Analog/DualShock...

Bing the Noize fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Nov 7, 2012

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
So I met up with the craigslist seller. I brought a bud for back up, just to be safe. I don't have any friends who are really into games at all, let alone retro games, and he thought the whole thing was hilarious. The dude I bought from was pretty goony looking and obviously more scared of me then I was of him.

Now I have a game gear, a bunch of games and the converter which allows me to play master system games on the game gear. Which would be cool, but the game gear screen is even worse than I remembered from when I was a kid.

Lime
Jul 20, 2004

Ambitious Spider posted:

Which would be cool, but the game gear screen is even worse than I remembered from when I was a kid.

Gotta replace those caps. Maybe swap that fluorescent tube out for some LEDs while you're in there.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
So my Dreamcast Library grows.

I was able to get a copy of both Resident Evil 3 and Elemental Gimmick Gear for around 15 bucks each. I now own every version of RE3 on a console. I also found a complete copy of one of the Dreamcast Tomb Raider games for 3 dollars and a Disc Only copy of Power Stone 2 for 20.

Mind you I thought I already had a copy of Power Stone 2 and this was going to be an extra. But when I got home and opened up the jewel case it was empty. A few months ago my brother stole a bunch of games to sell. Now I thought he mostly took n64 games, but nope it looks like he did touch the Dreamcast. So I went through everything and thanfully the only other missing game seems to be Chef's Luv Shack. There was also originally a copy of Sonic Adventure when we got the system. However that was probably sold before he threw the perfectly working system out in the garabge, which I then rescued(all it needed was the lens to be cleaned). Later on I did get the Gamecube Sonic Adventure games complete for 2 dollars each when the Gamecube was being liquidated because the Wii was coming.

Vaerai Archon fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Nov 7, 2012

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Vaerai Archon posted:

So my Dreamcast Library grows.

I was able to get a copy of both Resident Evil 3 and Elemental Gimmick Gear for around 15 bucks each. I now own every version of RE3 on a console. I also found a complete copy of one of the Dreamcast Tomb Raider games for 3 dollars and a Disc Only copy of Power Stone 2 for 20.

Mind you I thought I already had a copy of Power Stone 2 and this was going to be an extra. But when I got home and opened up the jewel case it was empty. A few months ago my brother stole a bunch of games to sell. Now I thought he mostly took n64 games, but nope it looks like he did touch the Dreamcast. So I went through everything and thanfully the only other missing game seems to be Chef's Luv Shack. There was also originally a copy of Sonic Adventure when we got the system. However that was probably sold before he threw the perfectly working system out in the garabge, which I then rescued(all it needed was the lens to be cleaned). Later on I did get the Gamecube Sonic Adventure games complete for 2 dollars each when the Gamecube was being liquidated because the Wii was coming.

Elemental Gimmick Gear is an amazing game. I picked it up when it came out because it was one of those later releases at like $20. It was so amazing, this crazy Zelda inspired game with really great looking backgrounds, and a fun world to explore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

The screen will still look like poo poo though. It's a shame, that outside of modding it for video out, that there's no way to get a good screen on the game gear.

• Locked thread