Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

zari-gani posted:

Not the best buck I could've spent, gotta admit.

My favourite games GCCX introduced me to are Super Fantasy Zone and Metal Storm.

I played Metal Storm in the waning days of the NES and it was great. Unfortunately it's one of those very expensive games now...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Did they, or perhaps could, the show also challenge games on the likes of the MSX, FM Towns, and other oddities? Arino vs Maze of Galious would be a sight to behold----and probably a multi-parter.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Azazell0 posted:

I dunno how common practice it is among GCCX fans, but lately I've been trying to acquire myself some of the games featured in the show just to see how I'd fare against Arino, like The legend of mystical ninja which I didn't own yet. I even contemplated on getting myself a Famicom just to be able to get my hands on Bio miracle or Quest of Ki.

I beat Quest of Ki(emulated) in 6 hours, or 2 less hours than he spent doing level 98.

Arino just has no dexterity.

I'm about to throw down on Kickle Cubicle sometime this week as I had pretty fond memories of it as a kid and I was so not a puzzle game kid.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Crotch Bat posted:

I beat Quest of Ki(emulated) in 6 hours, or 2 less hours than he spent doing level 98.

Arino just has no dexterity.

I'm about to throw down on Kickle Cubicle sometime this week as I had pretty fond memories of it as a kid and I was so not a puzzle game kid.

Do it. Become another of the Kickle Cubicle fanclub!

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Random Stranger posted:

I played Metal Storm in the waning days of the NES and it was great. Unfortunately it's one of those very expensive games now...

Oh wow, I've had Metal Storm ever since I was a little kid, had no idea it was worth anything. Just knew that it was rad as hell.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

RadicalR posted:

Do it. Become another of the Kickle Cubicle fanclub!

Pfft, I claimed original membership earlier in the thread. My NES is boxed up downstairs, I need to go get it and try to find that cartridge.

orochi
Oct 9, 2012

/usr/bin/orochi

Random Stranger posted:

I think it must have shot up in price pretty recently. I snagged a copy for about 10 bucks a few years ago. Good game.

Plus, 33 dollars isn't too bad. That's the lowest I see on ebay buy it now (which might be good to know for someone looking for the game. i see one with a bunch of bids on it going for about 50).

Little Samson on the other hand is a game I can't see myself ever owning because there's no way I want to pay hundreds of dollars for a single Nintendo game.

orochi fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Nov 7, 2012

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Random Stranger posted:

Toujima is only four years years younger than Arino.

In the sense he'll probably hang around a lot afterward, not their age.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.

orochi posted:

I think it must have shot up in price pretty recently. I snagged a copy for about 10 bucks a few years ago. Good game.

Plus, 33 dollars isn't too bad. That's the lowest I see on ebay buy it now (which might be good to know for someone looking for the game. i see one with a bunch of bids on it going for about 50).

Little Sampson on the other hand is a game I can't see myself ever owning because there's no way I want to pay hundreds of dollars for a single Nintendo game.
The 33 dollar one has a label about to fall off and will probably still get several bids in the last hour.

Ditto on Little Samson. I keep hoping somebody will just find a warehouse full of them. The worst thing is I actually wanted it pretty bad back when it was new, but I just never got it.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I buy mainly games I've actually played as a kid or games I want to play now, not just for the sake of collecting. And I'd really want Little Samson and Mr.Gimmick, but at least the latter is probably out of my reach pricing several hundred euros. One could get Little Samson for about ~100 € but that's still very steep IMO. Other than those two nothing I still want to buy isn't too expensive for NES or SNES. Well, maybe Mega Man 6.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

zari-gani posted:

ETA: Reposting screenshots from Nipponophile's April Fools post.

I'm more than a little disappointed that no one emailed me in response to my request for assistance on the project.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

I never bought a physical game because of GCCX -- several Virtual Console releases though. Still, I've been tempted.

Raife
Feb 2, 2004
Metal Storm was amazing. It had the gravity switching of some of the later Mega Man games on the NES which was one of my favorite mechanics when I was younger.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

rdbbb posted:

I never bought a physical game because of GCCX -- several Virtual Console releases though. Still, I've been tempted.

Which shop is that?

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Retro Game Camp on the Akiba strip.

FireCar
Sep 20, 2002

What's this?!

rdbbb posted:

I hope that the sign in the back is professing a love for Dairy Queen (because seriously, its pretty slammin).

And as for the Kickle Cubicle club, a local-ish game shop has it for 5 bucks or so, I've been meaning to grab it, and the GCCX episode gives me more incentive to.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

rdbbb posted:

It looks like Arino is laughing at your expression.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

FireCar posted:

I hope that the sign in the back is professing a love for Dairy Queen (because seriously, its pretty slammin).

I would assume it's Dragon Quest.

FireCar
Sep 20, 2002

What's this?!

Anime Reference posted:

I would assume it's Dragon Quest.

Dragon Quest isn't nearly as delicious. Or Upsidedownrightthick.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
My only Famicom cart is that Atlantis game he challenged. Famicom carts are way better than nes carts.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
I don't think I've ever been to Dairy Queen. :geno:

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Dairy Queen has some great milkshakes for a fast food place

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Heres my "just because of GCCX" games

Ganbare Goemon 2 is because the Konami episode alerted me to the fact that a Goemon existed on Famicom. One of the vignettes had Kings Knight and it looked super cool (didnt know it came out in America! Oops!). I got Wai Wai World 2 instead of 1 just cuz. Also that Saturn game isnt Tokemeki Memorial, but a puzzle game based on it. Still counts!

Edit: And since this thread informed me that Bio Miracle is on the Wii's VC Im gonna grab that too.

Gutcruncher fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Nov 8, 2012

Joctan
Sep 2, 2011
Just yesterday I bought Mafat conspiracy because a month or so ago I bought golgo 13 and that one was because of GCCX...

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Gutcruncher posted:

Edit: And since this thread informed me that Bio Miracle is on the Wii's VC Im gonna grab that too.
I spotted tons more GCCX games there when I was confirming Bio Miracle's availability, though I don't know how rare any of them were/are as original carts. It's worth a browse, anyway. (They have four Metal Slug titles! And Mighty Bomb Jack!)

FireCar
Sep 20, 2002

What's this?!

Stefan Prodan posted:

Dairy Queen has some great milkshakes for a fast food place

Try ordering a Misty Freeze. It's a milkshake and Misty (their slushies) combined into one delicious treat. The grape flavor tastes like you are drinking grape Laffy Taffy. The only problem is that I don't think its something some DQs officially have anymore, but if you find it, its the best.

And as for the GCCX games, I've been tempted to get Mighty Bomb Jack, but I'm not sure what the difficulty level of it is, since Arino kind of skews that aspect. How hard is it compared to say, Adventures of Lolo?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Only bought one game due to Game Center CX: Steel Battalion. And the original Xbox for it. I have a problem. :negative:

lets be best friends okay
Jun 1, 2000

okay
I wonder if games featuring on GCCX drive up the prices of those cartridges on the secondhand market in Japan. I know GCCX isn't an enormous nationwide phenomenon, but there are only so many actual working Famicoms out there, right?

MUTEkI
Oct 12, 2012

Raife posted:

Metal Storm was amazing. It had the gravity switching of some of the later Mega Man games on the NES which was one of my favorite mechanics when I was younger.

It's a cheesy effect, but I like the plane-scrolling effect they have applied to some of the backgrounds.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
I don't think any of my retro game buying has ever been influenced by solely GCCX. But, sometimes whenever I decide to attempt to tackle a game in my collection, I do prefer to do ones that have been challenged just to see if I can beat it. If I do beat the game, I do like to watch the episode(s) afterward just to see how far Arino got and if we got stuck at the same parts (like the shithole that is stage 6-2 in Ninja Gaiden :argh:).

I did almost pick up a copy of the Golgo 13 NES game when I went game hunting after voting yesterday, but ended up picking up a copy of Felix the Cat for $6 since it generally goes for more than that online and it's supposed to be an alright game. :)

Daikoku posted:

I wonder if games featuring on GCCX drive up the prices of those cartridges on the secondhand market in Japan. I know GCCX isn't an enormous nationwide phenomenon, but there are only so many actual working Famicoms out there, right?
I'm sure most of the common games see a small increase in price for a short time.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Daikoku posted:

The 20th anniversary of the Famicom marked a lot of common classics getting marked up slightly as people began rediscovering old games, and I think that's kind of leveled out. More than a few of GCCX's early season games were also GBA re-releases around the same time.

What I mean is I don't have an answer for you

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Ok, random question. I got an undub version of Retro Game Challenge 1, which puts Arino's voice back in. My question is about whether there's a version that puts the AD portraits back into the game. The Japanese version had the ADs as the editors of the mag, and writing in to give advice and hints, but the US one has random journos that I'm not enough of a gamer to have ever heard of. They really did remove just about everything concerning GCCX from this game. Arino's name is literally the only thing that remains.

I could just play the Japanese version, but then I couldn't read the magazines. :(

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

FireCar posted:

Try ordering a Misty Freeze. It's a milkshake and Misty (their slushies) combined into one delicious treat. The grape flavor tastes like you are drinking grape Laffy Taffy. The only problem is that I don't think its something some DQs officially have anymore, but if you find it, its the best.

And as for the GCCX games, I've been tempted to get Mighty Bomb Jack, but I'm not sure what the difficulty level of it is, since Arino kind of skews that aspect. How hard is it compared to say, Adventures of Lolo?

Incorrect, they were called Mr. Misty Floats. The cherry flavor is superior to all. They are not technically a menu item anymore, however, some places do still list them - they're called Arctic Freezes or some horseshit now and you have to specifically request that they not blend the soft serve into the slushie. Annoying, but worth it.

gently caress, now I want one.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Weren't all the resale prices of their previously challenged games ridiculously low? Maybe you just have to find a seedy man with a cart instead of shops that cater specifically to people who are willing to throw piles of money at old stuff.

FireCar
Sep 20, 2002

What's this?!

Caitlin posted:

Incorrect, they were called Mr. Misty Floats. The cherry flavor is superior to all. They are not technically a menu item anymore, however, some places do still list them - they're called Arctic Freezes or some horseshit now and you have to specifically request that they not blend the soft serve into the slushie. Annoying, but worth it.

gently caress, now I want one.

Double incorrect. A Misty float is a Misty with a slug of soft serve in the middle like a root beer float. I was specifically talking about the blended one. And yeah, Artic Rush is a stupid name for them. Dairy Queen, while still delicious, isn't nearly the same as it was when I worked for them 10ish years ago.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

univbee posted:

Only bought one game due to Game Center CX: Steel Battalion. And the original Xbox for it. I have a problem. :negative:

At least the XBox probably only cost you one tenth the price of Steel Battalion.

Daikoku posted:

There may be "only so many actual working Famicoms out there" but half the households in Japan had one. That's enough to really flood the secondary market.

Either way, I have seen that there's a small spike in prices when a game is on GCCX. It tends to drop off pretty quickly though and a lot of the games on the show are so common that the bump is really negligible (if the game is going for 100 yen having the price go up 20% doesn't make much of an impact).

Bocc Kob posted:

Weren't all the resale prices of their previously challenged games ridiculously low? Maybe you just have to find a seedy man with a cart instead of shops that cater specifically to people who are willing to throw piles of money at old stuff.

That was resale to a store. Still, the games that they played for a while weren't exactly expensive games. The fact that they went for boxed copies bumps the price up a bit but other than Steel Battalion (which was probably a promotional item from Capcom) I doubt that they paid more than 4000 yen for any of them (though the disk system version of BioMiracle might be pushing that slightly). Some of those boxed games are really cheap; I foolishly passed by a boxed copy of Night of the Sickle Weasel for 300 yen because I thought I would only get the Famicom games.

That said, in season 15 they started playing the stuff that collectors would kill to get their hands on. Battletoads and Comix Zone are rare and super expensive in Japan despite how easily available they are here. Metal Storm and Mr. Gimmick are also extremely pricey. The most expensive game ever on the show, however, is Super Spy Hunter. A US copy will cost you about $2; the show paid 16,800 yen for their copy or $210.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Hey, let's all move to Japan and open a Dairy Queen franchise.

gently caress now I want a misty freeze SO BAD you guys :(

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

At least the XBox probably only cost you one tenth the price of Steel Battalion.

You're not far off, but you lose points for not factoring in international shipping. :canada: I think the Xbox itself with 2 controllers, 4 random games and shipping was about $40 and Steel Battalion with its original box and shipping was just over $200.

Related, I stopped reading the Retro Gaming thread and a few similar ones because every page had about $1000 worth of "5 minutes ago I had no idea this even existed but I want it now" things.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

univbee posted:

You're not far off, but you lose points for not factoring in international shipping. :canada: I think the Xbox itself with 2 controllers, 4 random games and shipping was about $40 and Steel Battalion with its original box and shipping was just over $200.

There's a retro store here selling a Steel Battalion + Xbox set for $250... I'm glad I'm not tempted. If I ever got that game I'd probably try it once, get frustrated then never touch it again. Not that it never happens with any other games, but at least they don't take up a whole lot of space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I am probably going to go to Dairy Queen this afternoon because of this thread.