Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

octoroon posted:

I don't know that it's the same Eric Neigher, but apparently he has a history of writing terrible uninformed reviews and then bragging about having pissed people off.

http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=8877080&publicUserId=5784087

It sounds like a troll, just to see if people are reading the articles.

The game has tons of tutorials and I'm a big dumb dummy who hates and fears playing online because people will yell at me and see how horrible I am under pressure, but NS2 has been nothing but fun so far.

The game has long load times the first time you run it, but after it cached I didn't notice longer than normal loading and the graphics work great for the title. I still haven't braved being commander yet, but I think you should have a firm grasp of the game before you bother a bunch of people by playing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whiskas
May 30, 2005
As fade:

I grab celerity instead of adrenaline. You shouldn't be fighting so long that you need extra energy. The celerity also helps with circle strafing and dealing with the crazy strafe jump distance marines have.

Carapace vs. Regen. It really comes down to two things, are the marines traveling in packs, or alone or in groups of 2? Are lots of marines using shotguns? If there's lots of shotgunners on the field or large groups of marines, get carapace. Grab regen if you're mainly going to be picking off small groups of marines that are only carrying rifles.

Use double jump and shadow step (shift + WASD) to dodge. Double jump is also super useful when taking out jetpackers.

Leave the buildings to skulks. Fades do 1/2 the damage that skulks do to buildings. Your main purpose is killing marines.

Check your minimap often. Fades are all about enforcing map control, you can travel across the map arguably faster than any other lifeform so if you see a marine in a hive cutting down your upgrades or trying to take down one of your resource nodes, blink over there and kill him.

Hit and run. A group of 4 marines may be intimidating to a lone fade, you obviously cant kill them in one go. Blink in, get 2 or 3 hits in (WATCH YOUR HP!) and blink out. Rinse and repeat. Being a fade requires patience and discipline. Even if their commander drops them health packs they're still extremely weak without their armor and will eventually be whittled down to nothing.

Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT

LibbyM posted:

How much damage do spores do? I don't seem to get a number pop up. Per second or whatever.

As far as I know, spores do approximately 20 damage per second, for 6-ish seconds. They also only do damage to a marine's health, so armor does not help them at all (though spores don't damage exo suits because of this).

So it will take about 5 seconds to kill a marine, assuming they are at full health, not being healed, and stay in the spore cloud. The radius isn't too big so they can usually find a corner to hide in while it fades away.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Really interesting stats about sales and stuff. For instance, I learned that Russia is not in Eastern Europe!

RadicalWall
May 31, 2005

I have no idea whats going on.

DatonKallandor posted:

The problem is that the Lerk uses the exact same projectile in order for new players to go "oh I shoot spikes. They work exactly like Skulk spikes including the marking of players through walls". I'm pretty sure Skulks would be overpowered as hell if Lerks could buff bite damage just by shooting.

I'm pretty sure any damage done to marines lights them up like the parasite, it just doesn't last as long.

WIKI SAYS: Marines will appear for 8 seconds on Hive Sight when damaged by a Kharaa player directly.

quote:

How much damage do spores do? I don't seem to get a number pop up. Per second or whatever.

According to the wiki (which really needs to be linked in the OP) they do 20 damage per second but only while marines are in them. Lerk bite however does do damage over time.

RadicalWall fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Nov 8, 2012

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

RadicalWall posted:

I'm pretty sure any damage done to marines lights them up like the parasite, it just doesn't last as long.

I had the impression the short term lighting up that happens in fights is when the marines fire a weapon.

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH
Gah, the newbies are getting worse. The endless negativity of a comm who can't fathom why poo poo he can't see might be killing his men is angering.

"WHY AREN'T YOU RUSHING THAT GORGE UGH WHY AREN'T YOU LISTENING TO ME SHOOT THE GL"

"Comm, he's got 2 whips back there throwing grenades back, hydras, and crags. Two marines can't take all of that on even with a GL."

"UGH WHY DOESN'T ANYONE LISTEN TO ME"

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

monkeymagic posted:

Hey I just got the game and wanting to play with some australian goons. Had a very brief go at NS1 around 8 years ago, anyone want to help show me the basics?

steam id: http://steamcommunity.com/id/JamGaiden

I sent you a friend request on steam. I'm also in the Aus Goons group.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
How's the flamethrower? That's literally the only thing that could disappoint me about this game.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

quaunaut posted:

Gah, the newbies are getting worse. The endless negativity of a comm who can't fathom why poo poo he can't see might be killing his men is angering.

"WHY AREN'T YOU RUSHING THAT GORGE UGH WHY AREN'T YOU LISTENING TO ME SHOOT THE GL"

"Comm, he's got 2 whips back there throwing grenades back, hydras, and crags. Two marines can't take all of that on even with a GL."

"UGH WHY DOESN'T ANYONE LISTEN TO ME"

Wait whips can chuck grenades back? That's amazing

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Magres posted:

Wait whips can chuck grenades back? That's amazing

They smack them while in the air. Sometimes this makes them blow up on the whip, sometimes it's off into the distance, sometimes it's back at the marine. Aiming at the ground basically negates this, though.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Shumagorath posted:

How's the flamethrower? That's literally the only thing that could disappoint me about this game.

It's probably the most situational weapon in the game. It has its uses, but you probably won't see it often. It basically removes your ability to fight skulks, much like the GL, because you trade your direct damage for a mediocre DoT. It's good utility to have if you're moving in a large organized push but even then, if you are a good player with good aim you are better off with a gun.

Trilin
Dec 15, 2009

Ah! There he is!
Though if you're like me and go from 40-60 fps to 15-20 the moment something is gnawing on your ankles the flamer can be pretty forgiving.

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
I like to pretend I'm The Fury with the flamethrower and jetpack. It's pretty much one of the few instances where the flamethrower in a game isn't completely useless!

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

The flamethrower dissipates lerk spores and umbra.
It slows down alien energy regeneration by 60%.
5x damage to cysts and clogs.
3 damage per flame stack per second, 20 stack max.

Trilin
Dec 15, 2009

Ah! There he is!
Build 229 play "testing" was uploaded on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD0OoAogtNk

StuntKid
Dec 10, 2003

Trilin posted:

Build 229 play "testing" was uploaded on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD0OoAogtNk

Waiting to hear "what's coming up" without having to watch a 30 minute video. lol

Trilin
Dec 15, 2009

Ah! There he is!
Yeah I'm about 20 minutes in and haven't noticed a single change. I'd wait for a comprehensive list if you're looking for the specifics. Otherwise it's just a pretty fun view.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

That Gobbo posted:

I like to pretend I'm The Fury with the flamethrower and jetpack. It's pretty much one of the few instances where the flamethrower in a game isn't completely useless!
Buying a 4-pack.

Iced
Jun 18, 2009

Sometimes I eat in Jeff's car.

Don't tell him.

Shumagorath posted:

Buying a 4-pack.

Can I get in on that?

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

Trilin posted:

Yeah I'm about 20 minutes in and haven't noticed a single change. I'd wait for a comprehensive list if you're looking for the specifics. Otherwise it's just a pretty fun view.

The video mentioned that this build is meant to reduce load times and disconnects, so nothing that's going to show up in the actual gameplay.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Way back in the alpha & beta the devs talked about the Onos face armor, and I'm wondering if that have any affect on the game now. Or is the Onos just one big hitbox that does the same damage no matter where you shoot it?

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

That Gobbo posted:

I'd say my experience is much closer to being Harry in Alien Carnage; your Jetpack starts off slow but builds momentum, set fire to anything important-looking, and use something else on aliens faster than you:

The Jetpack drastically changes the Flamethrower from a vision-impairing, terribly-situational "bite-my-vulnerable-rear end-to-death" piece of crap, into the weapon of choice for harassing alien hives. With the Jetpack, you can hop your way to nearly any part of the map at high speeds, setting cysts alight at every opportunity and causing headaches for the Alien Commander with your space-Rambo shenanigans. When pushing into a hive with your team, you can make yourself useful by keeping your Exos welded while also setting ankle-biting skulks on fire without worrying about huge hitboxes blocking your stream. I've also had a lot of success as a one-man flanking party, flying into the heart of the Hive while the rest of the alien team is focused on your teammates and utterly wrecking their cyst network and causing a napalm-based ruckus in general. As long as they aren't packing Hydras up the wazzoo or a really good anti-air Fade, you can make a mockery of the enemy's defenses.

Also, pack mines whenever you can to give yourself some extra insurance when making an exit; retreating is probably the most important thing to learn when using the Jetpack/Flamethrower combo, and mines are a great incentive for Skulks to back the gently caress off.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Metal Meltdown posted:

The video mentioned that this build is meant to reduce load times and disconnects, so nothing that's going to show up in the actual gameplay.

That's cool, the load times seem fairly long even on an SSD and it always takes forever for everyone to load into the ready room.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Fallom posted:

That's cool, the load times seem fairly long even on an SSD and it always takes forever for everyone to load into the ready room.

On my SSD it takes maybe 20-30 seconds to load in which doesn't seem bad, but compared to what happens with other games on an SSD that can still be pretty long I guess. I feel sorry for people without SSDs, that's for sure.

DrGreatJob
Oct 3, 2006

we fuck each other very well and we have a lot of energy from eating plantfoods
Eh, takes a minute or two. Enough time to go take a leak. I get great performance in the game, so it's a little weird to have a lengthy load time.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Is it just me or are Marines just kind of... lovely? If anything but an exo has a threatening weapon, send a Fade to go gank him and gank anyone who takes his drat gun, and if there's an exo around, force a beacon (two fades usually does it) then gank the exo with a pile of skulks. Marines have so much more poo poo to worry about, are so much easier to kill, and have such less awesome poo poo.

I play almost entirely alien, and most Marine teams are just complete pushovers, and it's not because I'm some amazing god with aliens. I usually just go Gorge, save up for an Onos, then go "HAH HAH I'M UNSTOPPABLE AND YOU'RE ALL DEAD. COME, PIGFRIEND, LET US SLAY THE HUMANS!" Then run around with a Gorge buddy and murder things. If there's a grenade launcher, SEND IN THE FADES! Humans don't have anything that's actually difficult to deal with.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
yeah the loading times are a bit long atm

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Magres posted:

Is it just me or are Marines just kind of... lovely? If anything but an exo has a threatening weapon, send a Fade to go gank him and gank anyone who takes his drat gun, and if there's an exo around, force a beacon (two fades usually does it) then gank the exo with a pile of skulks. Marines have so much more poo poo to worry about, are so much easier to kill, and have such less awesome poo poo.

I play almost entirely alien, and most Marine teams are just complete pushovers, and it's not because I'm some amazing god with aliens. I usually just go Gorge, save up for an Onos, then go "HAH HAH I'M UNSTOPPABLE AND YOU'RE ALL DEAD. COME, PIGFRIEND, LET US SLAY THE HUMANS!" Then run around with a Gorge buddy and murder things. If there's a grenade launcher, SEND IN THE FADES! Humans don't have anything that's actually difficult to deal with.
Anecdotally, when people complain about one team being lovely, the complains seem to be split 50/50 as to which team is the lovely one. The game itself is sitting at about a 50-50 win rate so a lot of this just comes down to play style. If you feel like Marines are complete pushovers then I suspect your play style just happens to match up with the aliens better. Lots of people who haven't gotten used to the aliens greatly prefer the Marines.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
Oh man, so I finally gave Aliens a decent try today, and i'm not sure i've had so much fun in a multiplayer game in years. You might be really weak as a Skulk, but you can absolutely gently caress with the heads of so many Marines it feels drat near criminal. After I got the hang of having ridiculously fluid movement, I was all over the walls, ceiling, and floor, and I would just dance around an entire squad of marines while just barely dodging the terrible amount of firepower they were directing towards me. Then, of course, they all end up reloading at the same time right when my Onos buddy charges in, all fire and fury. This game is loving fantastic. :allears:

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
There's something magical about a cloaked Onos. The marines catch on to the gimmick pretty drat quickly, but the first time you pop into existence right in front of a pack of the poor bastards with a stomp is just magical.

Magres posted:

It's not easy by any means, but shotguns can really gently caress up fades. Especially when weapons 3 and armour 3 hit the field.

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

The Crotch posted:

It's not easy by any means, but shotguns can really gently caress up fades. Especially when weapons 3 and armour 3 hit the field.

Two perfect hits with level 3 shotguns kill a fade, how easy it is depends entirely on the skill of the fade.

Bloodmobile fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Nov 8, 2012

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

DatonKallandor posted:

The problem is that the Lerk uses the exact same projectile in order for new players to go "oh I shoot spikes. They work exactly like Skulk spikes including the marking of players through walls". I'm pretty sure Skulks would be overpowered as hell if Lerks could buff bite damage just by shooting.

Skulk parasite doesn't do anything to buff damage or something like that. It just does 10 damage and nonupgraded marines have exactly 160 hp with armor. With skulks doing 75 damage a bite it's nothing more then damage.

randombattle fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Nov 8, 2012

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Captain Beans posted:

Way back in the alpha & beta the devs talked about the Onos face armor, and I'm wondering if that have any affect on the game now. Or is the Onos just one big hitbox that does the same damage no matter where you shoot it?

I've noticed that a few grenades I've fired at an Onos' head kinda bounce off and sail into the wild unknown. That may just be a side effect of them being timed fuse, though.

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Anecdotally, when people complain about one team being lovely, the complains seem to be split 50/50 as to which team is the lovely one. The game itself is sitting at about a 50-50 win rate so a lot of this just comes down to play style. If you feel like Marines are complete pushovers then I suspect your play style just happens to match up with the aliens better. Lots of people who haven't gotten used to the aliens greatly prefer the Marines.

Those are the stats of servers running NS2Stats of which there appear to be 30. Aliens are winning most of the competitive games due to how fast they can get onos eggs. Pubs are somewhat marine-favored due to the tendency of games to drag on past the 20 minute mark, since marines have better late-game tech.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
This is a fun game and all, but they really have to fix it. Bad performance with everything set to low is one thing, but the game randomly just locks up as well forcing me to blindly ctrl+alt+del it out, which is seriously no fun, especially now that people are starting to use mics and play better.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

octoroon posted:

It basically removes your ability to fight skulks,
Huh? Spinning rapidly in a circle shooting fire at your feet will kill off an infinity of skulks. All the people who have trouble with Flamethrowers seem to be trying to use them as a precision weapon. They're not. They're flamethrowers. Throw those flames until you run out of flames and then go get some more flames.

Misandrist Duck
Oct 22, 2012

Boing posted:

Any tips for playing Fade? My current logic is to wait until we have Blink and Adrenaline, then blink into the back of marine groups, take out a single guy and blink back out before I take too much fire. It seems like I should be unstoppable one on one but I've lost fights against assault rifle marines where we both stand face to face and hold down left mouse. I tend to play as Skulk/Gorge until the moment I can go Onos because dying as a Lerk or a Fade really sucks and it seems to happen to me quite often - and I can't practice being a Fade as much as being a Skulk or a Gorge because of the resource cost.

Zo had good tips. I would add that depending on how early in the game it is, adrenaline isn't a necessity. Fades can effectively bait and/or scare marines by zooming in, hitting them once or twice, them running away. You'll either trick them into following you (keep moving) or scare them into retreating.

Fades vs marine (of any level stat) should be a foregone conclusion, it's just a matter of getting the mechanics down pat.

Hitting buildings isn't an absolute waste, it depends on the situation. Fades shouldn't solo bases because their abilities are better spent killing marines. However, fades are my preferred mechamism for killin turrets, which paves the way for skulks to clear out bases. A good fade hit on a backwater base CAN force a commander to beacon (fades = intimidating)

Whiskas is right, fades have the best mobility of any unit (especially with adren) so don't hesitate to drop what you are doing and go wherever a commander says "I need someone here now."

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Misandrist Duck posted:

Zo had good tips. I would add that depending on how early in the game it is, adrenaline isn't a necessity. Fades can effectively bait and/or scare marines by zooming in, hitting them once or twice, them running away. You'll either trick them into following you (keep moving) or scare them into retreating.

Fades vs marine (of any level stat) should be a foregone conclusion, it's just a matter of getting the mechanics down pat.

Hitting buildings isn't an absolute waste, it depends on the situation. Fades shouldn't solo bases because their abilities are better spent killing marines. However, fades are my preferred mechamism for killin turrets, which paves the way for skulks to clear out bases. A good fade hit on a backwater base CAN force a commander to beacon (fades = intimidating)

Whiskas is right, fades have the best mobility of any unit (especially with adren) so don't hesitate to drop what you are doing and go wherever a commander says "I need someone here now."

Also if you have vortex consider hitting the marine spawn and vortexing the arms lab. Almost always the marine commander only builds a single arms lab and will freak the gently caress out when everyone suddenly loses their upgrades.

Fades can absolutely wreck a base with a single vortex if you toss it right. With how clumped together most commanders place things you can usually hit the observatory, arms lab, and usually a spawn pad all in one vortex. If you open with a vortex on a base that isn't defended by hitting the phase gate or observatory before anyone is there you can have the skulk rush hit the power and take it down before the buildings can come back online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SAVE-LISP-AND-DIE
Nov 4, 2010
I don't understand why celerity instantly stops when you're hurt. I understand that it's meant to be for traveling around the map but it just adds to the feeling that aliens don't really have many fun pro-battle upgrades. (The new adrenaline is no fun either...)

• Locked thread