Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Mennonites Revenge posted:

You sure it's not going to be a copy-then-play thing like the SD card support on the Wii?

How would that work on the 8GB basic version? Retail games will be far bigger than that and they're not going to deny basic owners the chance to download them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Mennonites Revenge posted:

You sure it's not going to be a copy-then-play thing like the SD card support on the Wii?
Tekken's download is 16-17GB, I doubt they'd be doing copying when games can get that big (well bigger by a substantial amount really). At USB 2.0 speeds that'd take around 10 minutes to copy...plus anyone with the basic set wouldn't be able to play any download larger than 8GB if they did that.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010

Xenomorph posted:

1) What's up with the storage? / How will it be handled?

These posts show up every page almost and it always makes me wonder why someone bothers to make a super comprehensive first post since almost no goon will ever read it and will just enter the page asking basic questions w/o looking anywhere else first. I feel sad for the guys that spend a long time making really nice OPs :(

quote:

After buying dozens of Virtual Console games and WiiWare stuff, I *immediately* stopped buying all together when I learned they are tied to the system, not to my account.

What account? The Mii you made?

Or did you mean the separate Club Nintendo website that the Wii didn't really do anything (that I recall) with? I never once really thought there was some account tied to my Wii.

The odd one that I can more easily see being confused on would be the 3DS and Club Nintendo. Since on that you tie the two together via your 3DS, yet it's only for coins rather than some kind of game ownership account.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

The Wii will automatically register anything you buy via the shop to that Club Nintendo page, actually.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
Since Club Nintendo registers games you downloaded on the Wii, I'm wondering what the chances are of a person's Club Nintendo account being used to register those games on the new Nintendo Network, which will apparently be used for all of Nintendo's systems from now on.

Surely they would do this instead of asking people to buy everything again? Although NES games are for sale separately on the 3DS eShop, so maybe they expect us to do just that.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

MaxDuo posted:

What account? The Mii you made?

Or did you mean the separate Club Nintendo website that the Wii didn't really do anything (that I recall) with? I never once really thought there was some account tied to my Wii.

The odd one that I can more easily see being confused on would be the 3DS and Club Nintendo. Since on that you tie the two together via your 3DS, yet it's only for coins rather than some kind of game ownership account.

If your Wii blows up or gets lost or something you lose all your purchases. It's not tied to an account like on PSN or XBL, where you could just get a new system, log in to your account, and there you go.

Between that and it taking them loving forever to make the fridge bigger, I have spent hundreds less on the Wii Shop than I probably would have otherwise.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
It doesn't make sense. Wii downloads can be registered to a password protected account. Why aren't they using this to let people retain their stuff? Where is the Wii U Virtual Console? Are they really going to abandon the VC concept, or make us rebuy everything on the new one?

Brinty
Aug 4, 2012
The way the Wii was set up made that hard, there's a transfer proccess to put all your Wii data including VC/Wiiware games onto your WiiU and I can only assume in doing so bind it to your account.

Also they mentioned day 1 the eShop will have all the Wii's content available to, so it's not like the content is going anywhere

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Brinty posted:

The way the Wii was set up made that hard, there's a transfer proccess to put all your Wii data including VC/Wiiware games onto your WiiU and I can only assume in doing so bind it to your account.

Yeah, it's really weird that people are raising this six-year-old complaint just as the fix is being introduced.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010
I wasn't asking about if anything was tied to an account. I know it's tied solely to the Wii. I was more confused by the fact that Xenomorph said he downloaded *dozens* of titles before he realized it was tied to his Wii and not some kind of user account that was we never set up.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Brinty posted:

The thing is, it probably doesn't. The Wii U goes into a Wii mode when accessing these games, so it's cut off from the rest of the OS. As such, people will have separate collections of NES and probably SNES games between the 3DS and Wii/Wii U, and they won't be part of their account on the Nintendo Network which is going to be the standard from now on. So anyone's hold on their collection of Wii VC games is very tenuous.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
If anyone is still concerned about Hard drive space hit up places like New Egg or Costco. They won't run you more than a new game for a TB or more of space. A TB or more should last you a good long while and will probably be enough for around 50+ games if they're at 10-17+ GB each.

I think Costco was selling a 2 TB drives in store for something like 60-70 bucks. It's even cheaper than a replacement Wii Pad controller.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
Transferring Wii data to your Wii U, straight from the manual

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2012/11/wii_to_wii_u_data_transfer_details_emerge

In order to transfer Wii savedata/WiiWare/VC/DLC/points/Mii's:

quote:

*Insert an SD card into the Wii U
*Run the Wii System Transfer application
*When prompted, put that SD card into the Wii
*Download and run a transfer application from the Wii Shop
*Data will be moved to the SD card, at which point you switch it back to the Wii U
*The data will be moved onto the Wii U and then deleted from the SD card.

So all you need is an SD card and the respective transfer apps on the Wii and the Wii U. Surprisingly simple.

It's also been mentioned that purchases can be shared by all the accounts on that system, so I presume the same would be true for this stuff.

OnlyJuanMon
Jan 25, 2010

:burger::taco::burger::taco::burger:
Too tired to chase fences right now.
:taco::burger::taco::burger::taco:
I'm sure it's just the Rayman game showing off both screens, but I found it incredibly disappointing how often I had to stare at the controller screen instead of the gorgeous tv screen.

Could just be me.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Szmitten posted:

I assume this only transfers the licenses for VC/Wiiware/etc like how the DSi->3DS transfer did? Mainly curious so I know how much VC stuff I'll need to redownload.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010

Artix74 posted:

I assume this only transfers the licenses for VC/Wiiware/etc like how the DSi->3DS transfer did? Mainly curious so I know how much VC stuff I'll need to redownload.

quote:

*Data will be moved to the SD card, at which point you switch it back to the Wii U
*The data will be moved onto the Wii U and then deleted from the SD card.

It doesn't sound like it'll do it in the same way as the 3DS's dumb transfer. Unless "the data" is the license. Which doesn't make sense. But.... Nintendo.

I'm assuming/hoping it's not a redownload though.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I didnt have the sense to pre-order the Wii U despite my Nintendo-Fanboy-ism, but are stores gonna have some consoles in stock on the day of release so I can be one of those crazy people who waited in line all night? Im assuming the answer to this is yes but I just want to verify.

It looks like everywhere has Pre-Orders all sold out (unless Im missing something), and I dont reeaallly feel like over paying some dude for the console on Ebay since I dont get it immediately. Is there a better alternative Im completely overlooking?

I had no intention of even buying this until a week ago. Suddenly, Im excited :yoshi:.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Szmitten posted:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2012/11/wii_to_wii_u_data_transfer_details_emerge

So all you need is an SD card and the respective transfer apps on the Wii and the Wii U. Surprisingly simple.

It's also been mentioned that purchases can be shared by all the accounts on that system, so I presume the same would be true for this stuff.

Will I have to do all of that if I just want to transfer my save data? I mostly want to keep my Mario Galaxy saves. :shobon:

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

MaxDuo posted:

It doesn't sound like it'll do it in the same way as the 3DS's dumb transfer. Unless "the data" is the license. Which doesn't make sense. But.... Nintendo.

I'm assuming/hoping it's not a redownload though.

The SD card needs half a gig of space, which is exactly what the Wii's storage memory is, so I think it'll transfer your licenses AND any channels that are installed on the console (and that's also what gets deleted from the card at the end).

For channels installed on the SD card, I'm guessing it'll leave the files where they are and just transfer the licenses, but that's just a guess.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Supercar Gautier posted:

The SD card needs half a gig of space, which is exactly what the Wii's storage memory is, so I think it'll transfer your licenses AND any channels that are installed on the console (and that's also what gets deleted from the card at the end).

For channels installed on the SD card, I'm guessing it'll leave the files where they are and just transfer the licenses, but that's just a guess.

Right, this is more what I was getting at. I don't have anything really on my Wii proper, but I have either a 2 or 4 GB SD card in it that's basically full, and I was wondering how much of it I would need to redownload.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:

Jet Set Jettison posted:

I didnt have the sense to pre-order the Wii U despite my Nintendo-Fanboy-ism, but are stores gonna have some consoles in stock on the day of release so I can be one of those crazy people who waited in line all night? Im assuming the answer to this is yes but I just want to verify.

You assume pretty incorrectly. Good luck and awesome job if you actually get one, the preorders are pretty much sold out.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

I didn't get a preorder in and am still looking for a huge launch party to travel to like the one they had at Universal Citywalk for the Wii. Haven't found anything yet though :(

E: I guess Best Buy is having them, I hope some other stores do though because I really don't want to shop there =\ http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Misc/Best-Buy-Gaming-Events/pcmcat183100050001.c?id=pcmcat183100050001

Boten Anna fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Nov 8, 2012

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
Anyone think they might make a DS player in the vein of the Super Gameboy and the Gba Player now that they have a console with two screens?

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Jet Set Jettison posted:

It looks like everywhere has Pre-Orders all sold out (unless Im missing something), and I dont reeaallly feel like over paying some dude for the console on Ebay since I dont get it immediately. Is there a better alternative Im completely overlooking?

I had no intention of even buying this until a week ago. Suddenly, Im excited :yoshi:.

There were rumors Target is gonna start doing online preorders so keep an eye on them.

punchdaily
Nov 8, 2010

Akileese posted:

There were rumors Target is gonna start doing online preorders so keep an eye on them.

A local Target has pre-order cards for games. They were sold out, but I don't know if they'd sell their entire stock beforehand or if they'll keep a few to be sold day-of.

XOIC of Radishes
Oct 1, 2009

I planted radishes in this special dirt and they came up all weird!
:science: :ughh:

Ohtsam posted:

Anyone think they might make a DS player in the vein of the Super Gameboy and the Gba Player now that they have a console with two screens?

Interesting. Even though it would be possible, I think downloadable games have taken the place of such a device. Nintendo has seen that people are willing to re-purchase games via download just for convenience's sake, and the sheer number of those purchases without need to manufacture additional hardware is satisfactory enough for them.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ohtsam posted:

I doubt it, for a couple reasons. Times just aren't the same as they were with Super Gameboy and the GBA Player. It would be easier (and probably more profitable) to just resell the DS games digitally. The other reason is that DS is just too different than GBA. Yeah, you might have a touch screen on your controller now, but a lot of games pretty much treated the DS two screens as one giant screen. You could say that they could stream both on the Gamepad, but at that point, you might as well just play on an actual DS.

Cherokee Jack
Dec 27, 2005

Okay, now I'm getting a bit more excited. Pre-ordered/pre-paid ZombiU and NSMBU today (just because I want to walk in and walk out on the 18th) and bought a Wiimote and Wii Pro controller. Last couple of weeks I purchased Xenoblade Chronicles and The Last Story. Should be set for a little while at least.

Talking to the employee at EBGames today he said that our location is getting a whopping 5 units, which I think are all deluxe. I'm glad that I'm third in line.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
So from that "straight from the manual" stuff, it sounds like the Wii -> Wii U transfers just tie the purchases to a system (again), not your account. So if your Wii U goes up in flames, you lose all your purchases.

I don't have my games/purchases on my Wii's storage. I was forced to move everything to SD cards because the Wii can hold about 0.001% of the software available for it. I'd have to (slowly, of course) transfer some games from SD -> Wii, run the Wii U System Transfer utility, run the SD card in the Wii, transfer games back to SD, transfer from SD to Wii U, then run the utility again to prep the next batch of games? I'd have to do that multiple times to get all my stuff moved over...
I had massive NES, SNES, etc libraries. I tried to replace them by buying all my games again on the Wii.

I know everyone seems to be happy with how the Wii works with downloaded games/apps, but the absolute pain the rear end storage system really turned me off to the platform. I played the hell out of it from 2006-2008 (I was one of those weirdos that camped out all night to get one at release). I filled up my Wii with games/apps a dozen times over. The SD card solution was a terrible hack that broke existing functionality, and the total lack of "ownership" of anything purchased scared me away from buying any more. Nintendo seemed to really gently caress things up here. I have no idea what I could have downloaded from 2009-2012, because I refuse to spend another loving dime on such a broken platform. The purchases aren't tied to my account, and I'm tired of dealing with full storage, SD card copying, busted updates (the Wii did not check for updates on anything on SD, only what is on internal storage, but there wasn't room for anything on internal storage, only SD!). I've seen some of my purchases updated at least three times when on internal storage (StarFox 64, for example), so I *know* things do get updates. Who has time to move dozens/hundreds of purchases over (a few at a time, very slowly) to the Wii to check for updates on each over and over? I don't have to deal with that on my PS3. I have a 250GB hard drive in it & all my games installed to it. The system checks for updates for everything without issue, and with PSN Gold, it even downloads & installs updates while I sleep!

Seamless storage and account-bound purchases is what I want most with the new Wii U. Those two things are the worst part of the Wii. I don't give a poo poo about a tablet-controller, HD graphics (well, sorta this), or new games. The core functionality was horrible with the Wii, and I've seen virtually NO emphasis or any news on how the Wii U actually works.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010

And from the Nintendo Direct stuff about a page ago, it says you will make a Nintendo Network account using a password and email and all purchases will be tied to that account. And I'm not sure what account you keep referring to on your Wii. There was no kind of account for it, ever. No matter how much we wish (and logic would dictate) for the Club.Nintendo account to count as ownership of the games, it was never specified to do that or called a Wii account or anything.

Though the Wii transfer stuff I suppose might only tie it to the console, which is dumb... but not unexpected of Nintendo. Hopefully something like that could be fixed once they implement Nintendo network into their other consoles, phones, PC, etc.

Xenomorph posted:

(I was one of those weirdos that camped out all night to get one at release).

I did that too. I tried to go to a Super Walmart to buy the Wii at midnight, was person number 14 in line... then some manager came out and screamed at everyone to start leaving because Walmart apparently was only given 9 consoles. So I waited overnight at a Best Buy which was said to have received something like 96 of them.

I thought the overnight thing was pretty badass. Several people playing DSes and whatnot, cardgames, people were all nice and friendly. They even made a list of who was where in line that we later gave to the Best Buy people to make things easier. People would get up and drive to the nearby Taco Bell, McD's, etc, and come back with food. Some guys next to my friend and I actually got some extra Taco Bell and shared it with those around them.

MUCH better than the people camping for the PS3 that had stuff thrown at them and whatnot.

MaxDuo fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Nov 8, 2012

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Szmitten posted:

Wonder if I'll have to remove the homebrew channel and poo poo before doing this.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Just played the Rayman demo and got a feel of the controller. Loved everything about it except it felt like I was holding some multi million dollar piece of NASA technology.

The EBGames guy said a lot of people think it's still a tablet for the Wii which depresses me but that's society for you. Basically the smart gamers will get one first and then the casuals and families will be murdering each other for one at Christmas.

I don't know how reflective my store is with others but I was told only two people pre ordered a white Basic while 16 went for the Deluxe with over 100 people on the waiting list. So I guess if you want one at launch, there might be white Basic is available maybe?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Xenomorph posted:

I don't have my games/purchases on my Wii's storage. I was forced to move everything to SD cards because the Wii can hold about 0.001% of the software available for it. I'd have to (slowly, of course) transfer some games from SD -> Wii, run the Wii U System Transfer utility, run the SD card in the Wii, transfer games back to SD, transfer from SD to Wii U, then run the utility again to prep the next batch of games? I'd have to do that multiple times to get all my stuff moved over...

Why would this be the process? I don't think that makes any sense. I'm pretty sure if you have software that isn't on the Wii's internal memory, the process will just transfer your licenses over and the games will stay on the SD card.

Everything points to running the process once and being done with it, the manual doesn't describe an extended back-and-forth.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Just played the Rayman demo and got a feel of the controller. Loved everything about it except it felt like I was holding some multi million dollar piece of NASA technology.

The EBGames guy said a lot of people think it's still a tablet for the Wii which depresses me but that's society for you. Basically the smart gamers will get one first and then the casuals and families will be murdering each other for one at Christmas.

I don't know how reflective my store is with others but I was told only two people pre ordered a white Basic while 16 went for the Deluxe with over 100 people on the waiting list. So I guess if you want one at launch, there might be white Basic is available maybe?
If you're in Canada, most of the testimonies in here match yours. It's the US and Japan that are totally hosed supply-wise.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:
Japan's pre-ordering situation is murky.
For the past week, Amazon Japan's been taking pre-orders again in sporadic bursts lasting at least several hours for the MH Pack, and to a lesser extent, Premium and Basic. Although they come and go fairly quickly, it was relatively easy to check Amazon multiple times a day and find them available.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

If you're in Canada, most of the testimonies in here match yours. It's the US and Japan that are totally hosed supply-wise.

Yeah it's Canada.

If I had more money I'd buy an extra Basic and sell it.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
This is the first time I've ever pre-ordered a console, so I have to ask - does pre-ordering one usually mean you get it pretty close to release? I don't know if stores actually get enough systems to fill their pre-order count, and I suspect that plenty of people who pre-ordered the Wii and PS3 didn't get them on launch day judging by what I remember of that time, but I don't know for sure.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Quest For Glory II posted:

Wonder if I'll have to remove the homebrew channel and poo poo before doing this.

Yeah I have a release day old school Wii that I've added homebrew and firmware hacks and god knows what else too. Really all I want are my Super Mario Galaxy, Brawl and Metroid Trilogy saves. I also no longer have a way to put anything on my SD card because I don't have an SD card reader on my computer and my phone has no SD slot.

Really hoping I won't lose all that stuff. I got every trophy in Brawl and it took me like 2 years :smith:

axeil fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Nov 8, 2012

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Quest For Glory II posted:

I will personally be waiting to see if the homebrew community comes up with a solution to this if one is even necessary before attempting to transfer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
It occurs to me that since the Wii U goes into 'Wii Mode' when playing a Wii game, is it possible that some of the methods of cracking the Wii and installing Homebrew Channel might work still? It's probably a long shot but if the Wii mode of the Wii U is as devoid of U options as the Gamecube mode of the Wii is of anything involving bluetooth or IR?

Then again, that would be a ridiculously huge security hole.

• Locked thread