Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Is it just me or does the Gunzerker skill Inconceivable (or maybe 5 shots or 6) sometimes bug out and leave your gun empty forcing you to reload manually. For me it happens mostly when gunzerking I'll be firing away for a while and notice one of my guns has stopped. I have to manually reload and then it starts working again.

Super annoying on playthrough 2 when trying to kill a super badass while in fight for your life :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Squibbles posted:

Is it just me or does the Gunzerker skill Inconceivable (or maybe 5 shots or 6) sometimes bug out and leave your gun empty forcing you to reload manually. For me it happens mostly when gunzerking I'll be firing away for a while and notice one of my guns has stopped. I have to manually reload and then it starts working again.

Super annoying on playthrough 2 when trying to kill a super badass while in fight for your life :(

Yeah I've had problems with this too- juuust annoying enough to make me ignore the skill. Shame since Filled To The Brim is kinda lackluster. 5 Shots Or 6 does not appear to cause this problem, however.

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

:unsmith:
Most assault rifles I found were pretty poor, so I was using 2 lasceaux's for the longest time. Then I joined some random game where someone had fixed the slot machines and picked up 2 vladof shredifiers (the valdof legendary spiniguns). With the right skills those things have a higher rof than anything else in the game, and are quite accurate to boot.

http://borderlands.wikia.com/wiki/Shredifier

If I recall correctly both the ones i have are pretty similar, about 8k damage, and a 13.5 rof, 90% accuracy. Gunzerking a pair of them is utterly ridiculous :black101:

I've found it happens from time to time aswell (always seems to be the left gun for me), but 5 shots of 6 is pretty much a mandatory skill for a gunzerker imo. I can put up with a weapon not manually reloading everyone once in a while when I can fire 150 bullets out of a 50bullet magazine everyone once in a while.

rocket_Magnet fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Nov 9, 2012

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Jabarto posted:

You always say this, but have you ever actually paid attention to the non-AR weapons you find?

Yeah, I do. I use other weapons, as well.

quote:

AR's are simply worse than SMG's and pistols...

No, they aren't.

quote:

...they do much less damage per shot have comparable magazine sizes and reload speeds, and generally have lower accuracy and fewer scopes.

1. "Damage per shot" is not the be-all-end-all barometer to whether one weapon is better than another. You seem to realize that, and then instantly forget it for the rest of your argument.
2. Many assault rifles I use do more damage per round than comparable SMGs.
3. Many ARs I use have reloads times that are negligible and comparable to SMGs.
4. AR accuracy is generally greater than SMGs, as well. ARs also handle better (recoil reduction) than many SMGs. This quality is further enhanced by manufacturer properties like Dahl, whose burst feature on AR turn them into medium-range tack drivers, and Vladof, whose high automatic-ROFs (11.0+) can far outpace comparable SMGs.

Now, what does this all mean? It means that ARs seem to bridge the gap between SMGs (which excel at short-range fighting) and Sniper Rifles (which excel at long rang fighting.) It's almost like Gearbox balanced the weapons to be used in different environments.

quote:

Seriously, look at that machine gun I posted a few days ago. That's literally the best rifle I've ever found, and it doesn't even do half the damage of a random-rear end pistol in a vending machine. They're awful weapons.

So because you haven't found a good rifle, that means there aren't any and therefore everybody else is crazy? This is the dumbest argument I've heard all day. Chalk it up to bad luck. I've found great SMGs, and sniper rifles, and ARs, and pistols, and they all found a little niche in my armory. I take them out when I want to use them for specific things.

I am not arguing that ARs are better or superior (they aren't). I am arguing that each category is perfectly viable--each with strengths and weaknesses--and anybody who dismisses any one of these categories as being objectively useless or inferior (you) are talking out of their rear end.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Nov 9, 2012

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

1. "Damage per shot" is not the be-all-end-all barometer to whether one weapon is better than another. You seem to realize that, and then instantly forget it for the rest of your argument.

...I never said it was? And I in fact gave plenty of other reasons which you took time to address, so I don't know what you're getting at here.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

2. Many assault rifles I use do more damage per round than comparable SMGs.

Fair enough.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

3. Many ARs I use have reloads times that are negligible and comparable to SMGs.

This doesn't disagree with anything I said.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

4. AR accuracy is generally greater than SMGs, as well. ARs also handle better (recoil reduction) than many SMGs. This quality is further enhanced by manufacturer properties like Dahl, whose burst feature on AR turn them into medium-range tack drivers, and Vladof, whose high automatic-ROFs (11.0+) can far outpace comparable SMGs.

First of all, rifles tend to have accuracy ratings in the mid 80's, while SMG's routinely go above 90%. And SMG recoil isn't nearly as bad as you're making it out to be (scoped ones in particular), even if rifles are better about it.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Now, what does this all mean? It means that ARs seem to bridge the gap between SMGs (which excel at short-range fighting) and Sniper Rifles (which excel at long rang fighting.) It's almost like Gearbox balanced the weapons to be used in different environments.

They didn't do a very good job, then. SMG's are perfectly useful at mid-range (the loading screens even tell you this), and there' are some quick sniper rifles that can be useful up close. Rifles could theoretically fit the model you're describing if their attributes weren't so uniformly below average, though.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

So because you haven't found a good rifle, that means there aren't any and therefore everybody else is crazy? This is the dumbest argument I've heard all day. Chalk it up to bad luck. I've found great SMGs, and sniper rifles, and ARs, and pistols, and they all found a little niche in my armory. I take them out when I want to use them for specific things.

Yeah okay, I guess it's possible that I'm the unluckiest motherfucker who ever was and everyone else just rolling in awesome guns, but the fact that a rifle is handily outperformed by a pistol one level and two rarities lower implies there's more than just random variance going on.

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

Nastyman posted:

Evil Smasher was fairly underwhelming but maybe the random bonuses are bigger on the lv 50 version.

Evil Smasher bonuses are percentage based. The buff is the same at level 1 as it is at level 50. I have tested it extensively and abused it thoroughly.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

An accurate Dahl AR is a fun stand in for a sniper if it's got a halfway decent scope, and a Vladov AR is just fun on a bun, but the real reason ARs are worthwhile is gunzerking Torgue spiniguns. I love them so much, I'm thinking about doing a 100% Torgue playthrough in honor of the DLC when it comes out.

Off the top of my head I can only think of a couple enemies that are explicitly resistant to explosive elemental.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Monkey Fracas posted:

Yeah I've had problems with this too- juuust annoying enough to make me ignore the skill. Shame since Filled To The Brim is kinda lackluster. 5 Shots Or 6 does not appear to cause this problem, however.

It's very unfortunate because when your life is very low or you're fighting for your life it can be a really amazing skill. Especially when you get one of those rapid fire hyperion shotguns it lets you really unload on guys without having to wait to reload, it can be a real life-saver.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Besides your note on accuracy, nothing you said has proven that ARs are objectively worse than SMGs. You've only confirmed that some SMGs have better stats (in certain areas) than ARs, and vice versa. This is the very reason I am saying, for the third time today, that each category of weapon is viable, and none are objectively useless or inferior. If you want to take this to PM, we can, but I'm done clogging up this thread with a conversation that I don't think is going to yield anything productive. You seem determined to convince everybody else that ARs are in fact useless pieces of trash.

Now, what ever came of all this "Pumpkin King" talk that Gibbed had dug up a while back? Halloween has come and gone, and I've got no Pumpkin Kings.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

It turns out that the Pumpkin King was in all of our hearts the whole time.

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Epic High Five posted:

It turns out that the Pumpkin King was in all of our hearts the whole time.

That is pretty contrived.

So hungry :smith:

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Well, I know it's really early on, but I just finished the quest about thinking up a new name for Bullymongs. What a silly quest, this game is silly, and I like it.

I was wondering if you could swim in this, and then I fell in the sea. Cleared up the confusion right away.

Oh, and Claptrap is awesome.

I found some place called the Happy Pig Motel or something, and the power was off. Had a poke around but couldn't find out how to switch it on. Does it involve a quest?

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism
"I think, therefore I am" brings little comfort in this case.

McDragon posted:

Well, I know it's really early on, but I just finished the quest about thinking up a new name for Bullymongs. What a silly quest, this game is silly, and I like it.

I was wondering if you could swim in this, and then I fell in the sea. Cleared up the confusion right away.

Oh, and Claptrap is awesome.

I found some place called the Happy Pig Motel or something, and the power was off. Had a poke around but couldn't find out how to switch it on. Does it involve a quest?

There's a quest icon directly outside it, as I recall, it's a bit of a fetch quest but doesn't take too long if you have a car.

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

Gunzerkers,

If managed correctly, No Kill Like Overkill is the best skill ever. Especially in PT 2.5.

If you are good at sniping it's especially awesome.

If you want to get really up close and blast spiders in the face, it's a cakewalk after the first kill.

Two SMGs/TMPs/fast ARs/fast hyperion pistols while gunzerking? Everything dies.

Get off my plane, indeed.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

notlodar posted:

Gunzerkers,

If managed correctly, No Kill Like Overkill is the best skill ever. Especially in PT 2.5.

If you are good at sniping it's especially awesome.

If you want to get really up close and blast spiders in the face, it's a cakewalk after the first kill.

Two SMGs/TMPs/fast ARs/fast hyperion pistols while gunzerking? Everything dies.

Get off my plane, indeed.

Does the excess damage from that skill keep stacking from kill to kill?

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

McDragon posted:

"Bonerfarts" will never not make me laugh, especially in a really thick accent.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

mischief posted:

"Bonerfarts" will never not make me laugh, especially in a really thick accent.

And we mustn't forget about "Bonertoots".

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Why is shock damage the weakest of the elemental effects and why is to so stupidly hard to get second winds by electric DOT?

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Crabtree posted:

Why is shock damage the weakest of the elemental effects and why is to so stupidly hard to get second winds by electric DOT?

The DoT effect is pretty weak, but Shock is pretty good overall. Nothing resists it, and it does monster damage to shields (2.5x). Gaige specced down Little Big Trouble does pretty well with Shock weapons.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Crabtree posted:

Because only Shock-Nomadics and ION Loaders resist Shock. It's a great element to use in almost all situations, but not one for raw damage.
But then, Fire is practically useless in TVHM what with almost everything having shields.

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Crabtree posted:

You won't be saying that when you encounter invisible assholes.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Crabtree posted:

Are you still on playthrough 1? Enemies with shields are less common in playthrough 1, and in playthrough 1 resistances are low. But on playthrough 2 the resistances become such that fire and corrosive are practically useless against both shields and the health type they resist, making them situational twice over--you can't use the wrong element type on the wrong type of enemy, and even if you are fighting all of the right type of enemy, you can't pull the gun out until you've downed their shields. And switching guns is pretty slow in this game, which also makes Slag somewhat situational too (unless you're playing in a group or gunzerkering). Explosive is nice but it doesn't work like other elements so it's difficult to compare.

By comparison, Shock does extra damage to shields and is resisted by nothing except Shock-elemental enemies like ION Loaders. I prefer non-elemental guns, but if I was taking any element it'd be Shock.

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

qnqnx posted:

Does the excess damage from that skill keep stacking from kill to kill?
No but yes.

If you have the bonus active for multiple kills, you will probably be over killing everything by more damage.

For example

I kill a Bandit A that has 100,000hp. I do 150,000 damage. 50,000 excess

I then kill Bandit B that has 100,000hp. I do 150,000 + 50,000 damage. 100,000 excess.

I then kill Bandit C that has 100,000hp. I do 150,000 + 100,000 = 250,000 damage. 150,000 excess.

For Example of awesome
With some sort of fake Jakobs sniper rifle with a fake critical multiplier of x3 (300%)

I kill a Bandit A that has 100,000hp. I do 40,000 x 3 damage. 20,000 excess

I then kill Bandit B that has 100,000hp. I do (40,000 + 20,000) x 3 damage. 80,000 excess.

I then kill Bandit C that has 100,000hp. I do (40,000 + 80,000) x 3 damage. 260,000 excess.

I then fight assohole super badass something. Every non critical shot I land does 300,000 damage. Every critical shot does 900K damage.

In reality I see sniper hits do more damage than that and those numbers are fake...

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

In short, it does stack, This might be really interesting with the Buffalo.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
If you can manage it correctly it's pretty drat awesome. Wing a Tediore SMG at some almost-dead jerk and then switch to a high ROF weapon for a simple implementation. I could never get it to "feel" right so I went back to the boring ol' "empty your ammo reserve as fast as possible, preferably into the general vicinity of an enemy" Gunzerker.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Monkey Fracas posted:

If you can manage it correctly it's pretty drat awesome. Wing a Tediore SMG at some almost-dead jerk and then switch to a high ROF weapon for a simple implementation. I could never get it to "feel" right so I went back to the boring ol' "empty your ammo reserve as fast as possible, preferably into the general vicinity of an enemy" Gunzerker.

Personally, I just chuck The Bee enhanced Baby Makers, two at a time. I just need a good Tediore allegiance relic and off I am off to try again at solo-ing Hyperius.

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

It also seems to be capped at 500% weapon damage. But when your tmp is doing sniper crits it's awesome and makes the Torgue exploit unnecessary.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
Looking at Gibbed's editor, do I simply change MaxBankSlots to increase the capacity of the bank? Any side effects of doubling it?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Reveilled posted:

Are you still on playthrough 1? Enemies with shields are less common in playthrough 1, and in playthrough 1 resistances are low. But on playthrough 2 the resistances become such that fire and corrosive are practically useless against both shields and the health type they resist, making them situational twice over--you can't use the wrong element type on the wrong type of enemy, and even if you are fighting all of the right type of enemy, you can't pull the gun out until you've downed their shields. And switching guns is pretty slow in this game, which also makes Slag somewhat situational too (unless you're playing in a group or gunzerkering). Explosive is nice but it doesn't work like other elements so it's difficult to compare.

By comparison, Shock does extra damage to shields and is resisted by nothing except Shock-elemental enemies like ION Loaders. I prefer non-elemental guns, but if I was taking any element it'd be Shock.

Yes and no, I’ve been trying to complete the challenge I’m Back, Shocked between two characters in playthrough 1 and 2. However, it’s frustrating how quickly shock effect dies out compared to fire and corrosive DoT. Either the gun itself is too powerful and the bullet takes the kill or I die out as Shock stops at the last inch of their life bar.

Boogle posted:

You won't be saying that when you encounter invisible assholes.

Oh I've met those jerks, but I haven't tried farming them. Thanks for the idea.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Crabtree posted:

Yes and no, I’ve been trying to complete the challenge I’m Back, Shocked between two characters in playthrough 1 and 2. However, it’s frustrating how quickly shock effect dies out compared to fire and corrosive DoT. Either the gun itself is too powerful and the bullet takes the kill or I die out as Shock stops at the last inch of their life bar.

Oh I've met those jerks, but I haven't tried farming them. Thanks for the idea.

Do Tesla grenades count for this?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

gibbed posted:

Save editor, r124.

Get it here.

Edit: here here? heh.

You are awesome. Thank you so much for this. I just want to complete TVHM, and I was dying so much because my weapons, shields, relics, etc... were outdated, yet I still wasn't getting any good new stuff (at least not fast enough.) TVHM is still hard, but now I feel I can actually complete it.

So far all I've done is leveled up my good equipment (I can use The Bee again! Woo!) but I"m going to look into doing some more...maybe create an item.

BTW, what happens if I make something that can't exist? Like a Torque gun that doesn't do explosive and does...well...anything else.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

DrBouvenstein posted:

BTW, what happens if I make something that can't exist? Like a Torque gun that doesn't do explosive and does...well...anything else.

Invalid items are destroyed when the game loads. BUT if you put them in your bank they will work. Just need to retrieve your game breaking stuff from it every time you reload the game.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

You are awesome. Thank you so much for this. I just want to complete TVHM, and I was dying so much because my weapons, shields, relics, etc... were outdated, yet I still wasn't getting any good new stuff (at least not fast enough.) TVHM is still hard, but now I feel I can actually complete it.

So far all I've done is leveled up my good equipment (I can use The Bee again! Woo!) but I"m going to look into doing some more...maybe create an item.

As far as I've found, that isn't possible. If you start with a torgue base you can't select any element because it is automatically explosive.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

IS there any info on what the gun part affect? I remember reading earlier in the thread a post that talked about the properties of certain gun barrels.

If not, what part would I need to give a gun to make it explosive elemental? (but not a Torgue)

Serious Frolicking posted:

As far as I've found, that isn't possible. If you start with a torgue base you can't select any element because it is automatically explosive.

If you select a type of gun that can have an element (say Maliwan), select the element, then switch to a Torgue, it will allow that. It will try to delete the item, but you can get around that by just having it be in the bank. Not sure what gun would result (explosive + element would be awesome).

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Nov 9, 2012

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Genocyber posted:

IS there any info on what the gun part affect? I remember reading earlier in the thread a post that talked about the properties of certain gun barrels.

If not, what part would I need to give a gun to make it explosive elemental? (but not a Torgue)

Such a part does not exist, unless you're referring to the special AR barrel.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Male Man posted:

Such a part does not exist, unless you're referring to the special AR barrel.

Well you can get explosive Bandit launchers. I was thinking the explosive property might be of a launcher specific part, that you could apply to a gun then switch to another gun type. It would violate the sanity checks but the bank gets around that.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

The Wicked Wall posted:

There's a quest icon directly outside it, as I recall, it's a bit of a fetch quest but doesn't take too long if you have a car.

Ah, thanks, found it today. I think I had to reach Sanctuary first.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Genocyber posted:

Well you can get explosive Bandit launchers. I was thinking the explosive property might be of a launcher specific part, that you could apply to a gun then switch to another gun type. It would violate the sanity checks but the bank gets around that.

There is an AR barrel for Bandit and Vladof ARs (Rokets! and Rocketeer respectively) that make them fire rockets at the cost of 2 ammo per shot or something like that. I'm not certain, but I believe they give bonus explosive damage.

\/\/\/EDIT:/\/\/\/
Yes, they really suck. Especially the Bandit one- gives the rockets this weird drunk spiraling flight pattern that makes it hard to hit all but the biggest enemies.

Monkey Fracas fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Nov 9, 2012

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Monkey Fracas posted:

There is an AR barrel for Bandit and Vladof ARs (Rokets! and Rocketeer respectively) that make them fire rockets at the cost of 2 ammo per shot or something like that. I'm not certain, but I believe they give bonus explosive damage.

Those barrels are terrible. 4 ammo to fire, really bad hit detection, no crits and only about double the damage of a regular AR bullet. Just buy Torgue if you want to blow stuff up with your assault rifle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!
Has anyone played the Borderlands iPhone game? Is it any good? The reviews on the App Store aren't favourable.

• Locked thread