Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Release Dates:
EU November 29, 2012
AU November 29, 2012
UK November 30, 2012
NA December 4, 2012

:siren:Spoiler-filled story discussion thread over this way:siren:

What is it?

Far Cry 3 is an open world first-person shooter developed by Ubisoft Montreal for PC, Xbox 360, and Playstation 3. As with Far Cry 2 before it, although it is a numerical sequel, it has virtually nothing in common with its predecessor outside of its expansive outdoor environments and sandbox gameplay. In Far Cry 3, you play as Jason Brody, a tourist who gets separated from his friends when they're all kidnapped by pirates. After witnessing the death of his older brother, Jason escapes, and quickly gets tangled up in the native peoples' fight to reclaim the islands from the pirates as he tries to rescue his friends.

What's cool about it?

Far Cry 2 had some interesting ideas, but the execution of a lot of them was lacking, to say the least. Thankfully, Ubisoft Montreal has looked heavily at what worked in that game and what didn't. The infamous respawning enemy outposts are gone; once you clear out an enemy outpost, the enemies are gone for good, and the area acts as a safehouse and fast travel location. The open world is much larger this time around, with a lot more side content to partake in if you so desire, including hunting and assassination missions, time trial races, minigames like poker and knife throwing, and more.

The gameplay has been overhauled to better suit different styles of play, with stealth being a much easier and more viable option this time around. RPG elements like skills and crafting have been added to give the game more flavor and a sense of progression, and there's a fairly large number of guns to try out, most of which can be modified with suppressors, precision sights and extended mags, but don't expect Call of Duty levels of weapon modding.

Outside of the single-player campaign, the game features a separate co-op campaign with six missions to tackle with up to 4 people. Unfortunately, your dreams of driving around an open world with your friends are dashed right here: these missions are linear and objective-based, similar to games like Left 4 Dead and Payday: The Heist. There's also a competitive multiplayer mode which should feel instantly familiar if you play a fair amount of modern shooters, as well as the return of the famous Far Cry Map Editor, with even more options available for an endless stream of user-generated maps.

I saw a commercial that said this game was like SKYRIM with GUNS--

Stop. That quote is from Machinima and is really stupid. The truth is, if you go into Far Cry 3 expecting an experience similar to Skyrim, you're going to be disappointed. There's a leveling system and crafting, yes, but this isn't an RPG. The hunting and assassination missions that you pick up from signboards are brief and repetitive, and the few sidequests that you get from NPCs aren't very long or varied, either. Think of something along the lines of Red Dead Redemption and you'll have a better idea of how the game is structured.

So, what platform should I get this for?

Provided you have the hardware, PC is the way to go. It's not a perfect port, but it's a pretty good one, that looks significantly nicer and generally runs much smoother than its console counterparts. Plus, there's some modding potential, thanks to our very own gibbed. That said, if you don't come near the system requirements, the console versions are still completely playable.

Note that this game is NOT Steamworks integrated. There's no way to activate copies purchased through retail or other distribution on Steam. If you want the game on Steam, you have to buy it on Steam.

SORRY I ONLY READ WHAT CRITICS HAVE TO SAY

"It’s better than Far Cry 2. Whether or not you liked that game is, I think, irrelevant. Because it has kept what was good – the mad rallying of the driving, the fire propagation, the needlessly horrifying first-aid – and builds on everything else." - Rock, Paper, Shotgun

"If you like shooters and open-world gameplay at all, you will have a lot of fun with all this." - Giant Bomb

"Far Cry 3 is all the best things about open-world gaming. It's a glorious anecdote factory, where you manufacture brilliant new memories every time you wake up in a safehouse and head out into the jungle." - Eurogamer

"This is an ambitious and finely tuned adventure that gets better and better as you play." - Gamespot

"Far Cry 3 shines in its campaign, which is more layered and compelling than any game proffering a power trip through escapist ultraviolence has any right to be." - VideoGamer

Videos
Giant Bomb's Far Cry 3 Quick Look - Recommended viewing
Exploring the Sandbox Gameplay
E3 2011 Gameplay Demo
E3 2012 Gameplay Demo
Co-op Walkthrough
Story Trailer
Gameplay Trailer

More videos on Ubisoft's Youtube Channel

Screenshots

PC Version Notes & Tweaks

• :siren:Unlock all attachments for all weapons:siren: courtesy of gibbed

• :siren:Huge mod compilation:siren: made by our very own Swartz

• Various mods and hex edits from the Far Cry 3 forums.

• HUD elements like the constant objective reminders, codex entries and stealth indicators now have options to toggle them away! No more DLL edits required!

• F1-F5 open up the various skill and crafting menus, and F9/F11 save/load. Keep in mind this is not a quicksave, and is merely a way to save without going into the menus.

• Want toggle ironsights? Go to Documents\My Games\Far Cry 3 and open GamerProfile.XML in Notepad. Find the IronsightToggleMode variable and change it from 0 to 1.

• If your performance is worse than you feel it should be, disable the in-game antialiasing and instead force it through your graphics card's control panel. You can also try disabling SSAO by going to GamerProfile.XML as listed above and changing the SSAO variable to 0. Be sure to set the file as read-only afterwards.

• If you will be playing only the single-player campaign, put uPlay into offline mode by clicking your account name in uPlay and selecting "go offline." Otherwise, if the uPlay servers go down, the game will crash and/or become unplayable.

• To run the game without launching Steam, track down the executable (usually C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Far Cry 3\bin\farcry3.exe), create a shortcut to your desktop, and add the perimeters -uplay_steam_mode -language=English -steam_mode

• If you purchased the Digital Deluxe edition through Steam, you will need to unlock the Digital Deluxe edition content in the game. Steam must be running and online. uPlay must be online. Once at the main menu, go to Options and select Exclusive Content. You will be asked for a code. Enter your Digital Deluxe edition CD Key exactly as provided.

Cardboard Box fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Dec 21, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mask
Jun 8, 2003
Quis Custodiet Custodes Ipsos?
Decent OP but a release date should probably be tagged on. December 4th, 2012

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

D'oh, I knew I forgot something! Thanks.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
Was I the only one who liked FarCry 1's story? Two sequels now and not a mention of it. It was goofy as poo poo, but it wasn't that bad.

Chafey
Jun 14, 2005
Ahahaha holy poo poo that's the best box art I've ever seen.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

It's because it not developed by the same people. The people who made farcry does crysis now.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Meat Recital posted:

Was I the only one who liked FarCry 1's story? Two sequels now and not a mention of it. It was goofy as poo poo, but it wasn't that bad.

I enjoyed it too in a cheesy action movie kind of way. I didn't really get into Far Cry 2 so I'm a little hesitant about this one but I am interested.

Chafey posted:

Ahahaha holy poo poo that's the best box art I've ever seen.

I agree, it's great.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
So is the PC version coming out at the same time as the console ones, or are we going to have to wait 5 months as seems to be par for the course these days?

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Junk posted:

So is the PC version coming out at the same time as the console ones, or are we going to have to wait 5 months as seems to be par for the course these days?

Same time.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD

Junk posted:

It's supposed to be a simultaneous release across all platforms. Steam has it available for pre-order with a December 4th release date.

Is there any word on the copy protection for PC players? I have flat out refused to buy Ubisoft-made games for years but I hear that they've relaxed the draconian protections in recent months.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Vatek posted:

Is there any word on the copy protection for PC players? I have flat out refused to buy Ubisoft-made games for years but I hear that they've relaxed the draconian protections in recent months.

I haven't heard anything. I think it may still use their dumb uPlay thing, but that doesn't require a constant internet connection anymore and is just a mild annoyance now compared to what it once was. I'd still take it over Games for Windows Live.

I expect the quality of the PC port itself to be very good, judging by Far Cry 2.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Vatek posted:

It's supposed to be a simultaneous release across all platforms. Steam has it available for pre-order with a December 4th release date.

If you are not connected to the internet while the game is installed you will be continually kicked in the nuts (or spleen)

KatMan911
Jan 21, 2002
CHEAP FUCKASS. I HAVE NO COMPASSION. IGNORE ME. I AM WORTHLESS.

Mask posted:

Decent OP but a release date should probably be tagged on. December 4th, 2012
Hmm. Our supplier lists it at November 29th, 2012, for all platforms.

EDIT: that's in Australia, by the way.

KatMan911 fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Nov 9, 2012

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I'm both intrigued by a lot of the writing and acting in this game (Vaas, the guy on the box, is pretty chilling and hilarious and interesting) and alarmed by what my ~SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR~ senses detect from some of the other trailers - all this talk about 'savages', a native tribe for you to take charge of and lead or whatever, a topless shaman who encourages you to embrace your inner warrior via sex and killing and poo poo.

It looks like it has the potential to say something really interesting about the medium, but also the potential to be really :catstare: in its execution.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

KatMan911 posted:

Hmm. Our supplier lists it at November 29th, 2012, for all platforms.

That's what half of my sources say, but even the official website indicates 04 DEC 2012, so who knows.

Even though I hate Ubisoft's guts, I've really enjoyed the Far Cry series (I guess I should specify, Far Cry and Far Cry 2--I haven't touched the console titles). I find it impossible to dislike a sandbox shooter that has a healthy selection of guns and the novel concept of doing everything from the first-person view. Far Cry 3 is shaping up to be everything I wanted Far Cry 2 to be, and more. Very excited for this game.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Oh man I'm so loving jazzed about this game and the sooner it comes out the better chance of me not having to pay $60 for the PC version this christmas.

Mushball
May 23, 2012
I remember watching a trailer for this game that depicted it as a everyday protagonist guy goes to have some fun with some old friends on an island only to have things go ugly the next day with angry pirates shooting at him and holding his friends hostage. Developers seem to love the whole Nathan Drake everyman archetype way the hell too much and a everyday guy who never killed someone before is now stabbing insane pirates and punching sharks is just unintentionally hilarious in its own improbability. I like to imagine that the story starts as an old college roommates reunion that takes an action movie twist and Mr. protagonist just got out of the SEALs hence why he can shoot with the best and do all sorts of crazy poo poo in the game.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

General Battuta posted:

I'm both intrigued by a lot of the writing and acting in this game (Vaas, the guy on the box, is pretty chilling and hilarious and interesting) and alarmed by what my ~SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR~ senses detect from some of the other trailers - all this talk about 'savages', a native tribe for you to take charge of and lead or whatever, a topless shaman who encourages you to embrace your inner warrior via sex and killing and poo poo.

It looks like it has the potential to say something really interesting about the medium, but also the potential to be really :catstare: in its execution.

Yeah, some of it looks pretty uneven in terms of tone. Vaas seems like he'll be a very interesting villain, but the stuff with the natives and the topless girl is very, very cheesy. We'll see how it all ends up.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Even though I hate Ubisoft's guts, I've really enjoyed the Far Cry series (I guess I should specify, Far Cry and Far Cry 2--I haven't touched the console titles). I find it impossible to dislike a sandbox shooter that has a healthy selection of guns and the novel concept of doing everything from the first-person view. Far Cry 3 is shaping up to be everything I wanted Far Cry 2 to be, and more. Very excited for this game.

I actually quite liked Far Cry Instincts Evolution, the one they released on Xbox 360. Probably more than the original Far Cry, actually, which I found to be just a little too unforgiving most of the time.

I loved a lot of the ideas that Ubisoft had with Far Cry 2--if nothing else, it should be commended for its attempts at immersion, its unique health system and its beautiful natural environments--but I never finished it, mostly because the tedium of the constantly spawning enemies really wore on me. This one looks like it addresses a lot of my problems with that game, though.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
The real question is,
is the Predator multiplayer mode returning?

Because I had way more fun with that than the rest of the series.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
FarCry 2 has some of the best creative design I've ever seen, that poo poo was harrowing. This one looks a *lot* sillier. Maybe not as silly as the first, but one of the things I liked about 2 was that it didn't have any ~@~$WaCkY HiJiNkS~@~#.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Utgardaloki posted:

The real question is,
is the Predator multiplayer mode returning?

No, because no Far Cry game has involved mutants since Far Cry Instincts.

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

Will I still be murdered over and over by men with Jeeps with bolted on assault rifles?

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Vlad the Retailer posted:

Will I still be murdered over and over by men with Jeeps with bolted on assault rifles?

hopefully

minus world
Sep 23, 2009

"good poster"
This kind of looks like a return to style of the original Far Cry and I am definitely happy with that. Far Cry felt like a mess in terms of gameplay and was just unpleasant to play.

Blacksuit
Oct 9, 2012
I enjoyed Far Cry 2 on a couple levels, but I'll echo the respawning enemy complaint. The combat was a lot of fun and usually very strategy-driven. I also liked how it (maybe inadvertently) made the premise of being a lone mercenary in a hostile place more engaging by basically making the only safe places in the world remote shacks surrounded by guns. I spent a lot of time looking for desolate, out-of-the-way paths to objectives because roads were deadly. It got old, but it added atmosphere.

I'm liking the territory-taking mechanic. I think it might lend the game a sense of progress, which is another thing FC2 was missing.

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost
I hope we can still light massive bushfires like in 2.
Watching the trees burn at night and the fire spread through the canopy in FC2 was one of the most impressive visual effects I've seen in a game.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Slugnoid posted:

I hope we can still light massive bushfires like in 2.
Watching the trees burn at night and the fire spread through the canopy in FC2 was one of the most impressive visual effects I've seen in a game.

They confirmed that the fire tech from Far Cry 2 is making a return, and there's weapons like flaming arrows this time around, so prepare to set a lot of fires.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Wait wait wait I thought this got delayed to early 2013? Oh man I hope this actually does come out next month.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Wait wait wait I thought this got delayed to early 2013? Oh man I hope this actually does come out next month.

It's gone gold, so I don't see any likely reason it will be delayed at all.

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

Has there been any talk of proper mod support? Far Cry 2 could have been so good with just a few tweaks and amazing with some real mods. Shame it ended up being a pretty looking slog with so much wasted potential.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

Flython posted:

Has there been any talk of proper mod support? Far Cry 2 could have been so good with just a few tweaks and amazing with some real mods. Shame it ended up being a pretty looking slog with so much wasted potential.

There was (Maybe still is) a FC2 modding thread here complete with tools and mods made to change certain aspects of the game including the respawning checkpoints.

I wouldn't have too much hope for modding though, given the engine the game is made in. Though they do mention custom maps. Then again, if the game really takes off, you never know. Multiplayer was modded into Just Cause 2, after all.

KatMan911
Jan 21, 2002

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

FarCry 2 has some of the best creative design I've ever seen, that poo poo was harrowing. This one looks a *lot* sillier. Maybe not as silly as the first, but one of the things I liked about 2 was that it didn't have any ~@~$WaCkY HiJiNkS~@~#.
I'd honestly rather go with wacky hijinks than having to sit through more hamfisted !!! POLITICAL MESSAGES !!! shoved down my throat.

I'm here playing a GAME that I paid for to have fun, I'm not here for developers to do their best to make me feel bad about lovely conditions in Africa. If I wanted that, I'd spend that money on a newspaper or something instead. That's what I disliked about Far Cry 2. That, and respawning checkpoints. Oh, and stealth not working, - but it didn't work in the original Far Cry, either.

So yeah, bring on the silliness.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

KatMan911 posted:

I'd honestly rather go with wacky hijinks than having to sit through more hamfisted !!! POLITICAL MESSAGES !!! shoved down my throat.

I'm here playing a GAME that I paid for to have fun, I'm not here for developers to do their best to make me feel bad about lovely conditions in Africa.

Then don't play a game set in Africa? What is it about Africa that makes you think 'wacky hijinks' exactly?

Roxors
Feb 18, 2011

Vlad the Retailer posted:

Why would you not want a large number of things to explode just so you can watch the great hilarious physics engine at work. If this game doesn't give the player a multi-round grenade launcher with plenty of things to blow up, I will be disappointed.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Vatek posted:

Isn't it typical for Ubisoft to wait until a week before release before admitting the PC version is going to be delayed, though?

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."

KatMan911 posted:

I'm here playing a GAME that I paid for to have fun, I'm not here for developers to do their best to make me feel bad about lovely conditions in Africa. If I wanted that, I'd spend that money on a newspaper or something instead. That's what I disliked about Far Cry 2. That, and respawning checkpoints. Oh, and stealth not working, - but it didn't work in the original Far Cry, either.

So yeah, bring on the silliness.

You want Just Cause 2 aka The Adventures Of Rico Rodriguez the CIA Space Wizard.

Also FarCry 3 is set in the middle of a "local conflict" so expect people being murdered in cold blood and atrocities and oh god aren't these people horrible and other such things that might actually make you twinge an emotion as you go around gleefully slaughtering people. Sorry! :v:

KatMan911
Jan 21, 2002

Aliginge posted:

You want Just Cause 2 aka The Adventures Of Rico Rodriguez the CIA Space Wizard.

Also FarCry 3 is set in the middle of a "local conflict" so expect people being murdered in cold blood and atrocities and oh god aren't these people horrible and other such things that might actually make you twinge an emotion as you go around gleefully slaughtering people. Sorry! :v:
Yeah, pretty much! :v:

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."
Seriously go play Just Cause 2, it is amazing.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

kuddles posted:

Isn't it typical for Ubisoft to wait until a week before release before admitting the PC version is going to be delayed, though?

Yeah, Ubisoft is notorious for last-minute one month delays of the PC version of every game they have released in the past couple years. Expect the PC version out next year.

I loved Far Cry 2, it had a great set of systems that created unique combat situations for every encounter. No other game has given me quite the same feeling as getting a headshot on the last guard in an outpost just as my rifle disintegrates in my hands, or running behind a rock with a jammed gun to pull a bullet out of my leg. If Far Cry 3 just improved on what FC2 did, it would be an instant buy. However the multiplayer trailer they released a while back to show off their new "torture and execute your helpless multiplayer foes" feature really soured me on this game. It is completely gratuitous and distasteful and a little inexplicable given FC2's nuance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrHub
Jun 21, 2012
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avmQTr5Kr3A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9j7eFAj0IU

McLovin acting tough on far cry 3 island.

• Locked thread