Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Allen Wren posted:

I am probably going to go to Dairy Queen this afternoon because of this thread.

I would too if they didn't close them here during the winter. gently caress you, ice cream is delicious regardless of the temperature outside. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I'm really curious Random Stranger. How expensive is Comix Zone and Metal Storm over there?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

univbee posted:

I would too if they didn't close them here during the winter. gently caress you, ice cream is delicious regardless of the temperature outside. :argh:

I am in Texas. It is never cold enough here for no ice cream. I wish it was.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

FireCar posted:

Double incorrect. A Misty float is a Misty with a slug of soft serve in the middle like a root beer float. I was specifically talking about the blended one. And yeah, Artic Rush is a stupid name for them. Dairy Queen, while still delicious, isn't nearly the same as it was when I worked for them 10ish years ago.

Oh boo, the blended one sucks because it takes out the fun of starting with a float and having a blended one by default when you finish it. Double the fun! :buddy:

I wonder if any of the DQs by me will stay open for the winter... I should check.

Enrico Dandolo
Aug 6, 2010

Ineffiable posted:

I'm really curious Random Stranger. How expensive is Comix Zone and Metal Storm over there?

I hope I misunderstand something about this 65,000 yen copy of Comix Zone from an Amazon seller.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
The hint for the next episode (#150) is "PS." Which either means it's going to be a PlayStation game, or that's what they want us to believe.

Also, AD Itou is gone already. There's a new AD.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Could be Phantasy Star. That's a nice iconic series for a milestone episode.

Goggle Fox
Jul 9, 2011

Phantasy Star's my guess here as well. I don't know if they'd do an RPG of that series' length, but they've done Fire Emblem, so it's not impossible.

MUTEkI
Oct 12, 2012

Nipponophile posted:

Could be Phantasy Star. That's a nice iconic series for a milestone episode.

That'd be really cool; hopefully they start at the first game -- have they done a Master System game for a challenge yet?

*fingerscrossedforfmmodule*

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

MUTEkI posted:

That'd be really cool; hopefully they start at the first game -- have they done a Master System game for a challenge yet?

They've only mocked it horribly in other segments :D

FireCar
Sep 20, 2002

What's this?!

Caitlin posted:

Oh boo, the blended one sucks because it takes out the fun of starting with a float and having a blended one by default when you finish it. Double the fun! :buddy:

I wonder if any of the DQs by me will stay open for the winter... I should check.

If its a Dairy Queen: Brazier (new ones are called Grill & Chill I think), then it has a full kitchen and should be open year round. If its just a Dairy Queen or Dairy Queen: Limited (just has hot dogs and BBQ or other microwaveable foods) then it will probably close for winter in most areas. Though I don't know if DQ: Limiteds exist much any more.

And as for GCCX games, I've been tempted to get a Famicom/NES adapter and play what famicom games I can find on the cheap. Id really really like to get an actual Famicom, but I have a hard time justifying buying one.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011

MUTEkI posted:

They played one Sega Master System game on the show. It was #135 which was in season 15. Arino played Alex Kidd in Miracle World. I'll post a link to the raw on my channel if you would like to watch. Arino also showcased the Japanese version of the system in an Aces of Hardware segment in the Umihara Kawase episode which has been subbed.

With regarding to episode #150, have there been any reveals on anything special for the milestone episode. #50 was there first overseas Tamage(Korea) and #100 was Wrecking Crew where the game had 100 levels and some extra special moments from the games staff. Hope the no challenge parts of the episode are epic for the milestone episode. Hope GCCX stays around for a 200th episode.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
Am I the only one not horribly excited by Kickle Cubicle, by the way? The puzzle game episodes really don't present the best challenges so I'm not expecting it to be a really great episode unless they play up something else again (like the romance questions).

Kinda hope it's not Phantasy Star for pretty much the same reason.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Phantasy Star is one of my favourite games from that era and definitely the best game on Master System, but it'd be even less interesting as a spectator than something like Dragon Quest. So many virtually indistinguishable dungeons!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Goggle Fox posted:

Phantasy Star's my guess here as well. I don't know if they'd do an RPG of that series' length, but they've done Fire Emblem, so it's not impossible.

The Fire Emblem challenge was for the Nintendo Channel so it was only a few missions.

I'm not really sure how long Phantasy Star takes to play, but I suspect that it just isn't feasible for the show. Unless Kibe has taken over in some kind of coup I doubt that's what they're playing.

My guess is Parasol Stars.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Nov 8, 2012

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

It definitely isn't Phantasy Star. As someone who has beaten that, I know it just would be an absolute bore of a challenge. And even with a guide handy, I suspect it'd be way too long to beat in the usual taping.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

I'm holding onto the hope that it's a PlayStation game.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
It's Pokemon Snap :v:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

zari-gani posted:

"Arino, by killing Richter you have only achieved the bad ending."

"No way!"

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I bet it's Policenauts.

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

The White Dragon posted:

It's Pokemon Snap :v:

I kinda feel this would make a really good Nintendo Channel challenge, but seeing as there is absolutely no way to lose the game I don't think it would make a good full episode. Unless they give him rediculous challenges like "Get a perfect score on each level" or something.

But oh, to dream :allears:

Jest3
Apr 27, 2010

zari-gani posted:

Is there another Densha De Go! left?
I hope there is... some day.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Random Stranger posted:

"Arino, by killing Richter you have only achieved the bad ending."

"No way!"

Good lord getting this game on GCCX would be infinitely amazing (and amusing). Ah, dreams. :allears:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Jest3 posted:

Is there another Densha De Go! left?
I hope there is... some day.

"Is there another Densha de Go! left?" he asks.

There are dozens of them left!

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
If it is Phantasy Star (which I kinda doubt since it's a pretty long game for it's time), I hope they warn Arino about the fact that you can get into an un-winnable situation near the end of the game if you can't get back down from the floating island place where the second to last dungeon is located... I learned that the hard way and ended up watching the rest of the game on YouTube. I guess I should've taken advantage of the fact the game (or the US version at least) lets you save in multiple save slots. :smith:

FireCar posted:

And as for GCCX games, I've been tempted to get a Famicom/NES adapter and play what famicom games I can find on the cheap. Id really really like to get an actual Famicom, but I have a hard time justifying buying one.
Converters can be cheap if you know where to look, but I would definitely get an actual Famicom if you plan on playing games with special graphic/sound chips (like Castlevania 3 and Contra) since those games won't work properly on the NES.

Erwin Tuwonwon
Oct 30, 2011

Nipponophile posted:

I'm more than a little disappointed that no one emailed me in response to my request for assistance on the project.

Maybe people just wanted to do like the CX eps and translate the best ones first.

Nipponophile posted:

I'm more than a little disappointed that no one emailed me in response to my request for assistance on the project.

Clearly this is how they should have marketed DQX.

zari-gani posted:

Also, AD Itou is gone already. There's a new AD.

Oh what, already!? What happened, on a scale of graduated to Yamada, with Tsuruoka being okay.

retromonk
Nov 5, 2009

Verveces tui similes pro ientaculo mihi appositi sunt

Tyma posted:

They've only mocked it horribly in other segments :D

drat shame. The first Phantasy Star was worlds ahead (heh) of a lot of other RPGs at the time.

I'd like to see Arino's face as he starts hitting the floor traps in the later dungeons. ABUNAI!

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
I never dislike Emoto or anything but been watching his seasons lately and I really, really like him as an AD. He had some crucial gameplay in a lot of good Arino wins.

FireCar
Sep 20, 2002

What's this?!

quote:

Converters can be cheap if you know where to look, but I would definitely get an actual Famicom if you plan on playing games with special graphic/sound chips (like Castlevania 3 and Contra) since those games won't work properly on the NES.

Any time I find an old black label 5 screw game, I pick it up, but no luck yet. My brother has gotten one, but it took him a while (and those people that say they can tell the weight difference by feel are full of it, just sayin). If I ever come across a famicom at a good price its mine on a heartbeat, but I think I used up all my luck snagging a model 2 NES for 5 bucks. So I guess its a wait and see thing.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

FireCar posted:

Any time I find an old black label 5 screw game, I pick it up, but no luck yet. My brother has gotten one, but it took him a while (and those people that say they can tell the weight difference by feel are full of it, just sayin). If I ever come across a famicom at a good price its mine on a heartbeat, but I think I used up all my luck snagging a model 2 NES for 5 bucks. So I guess its a wait and see thing.
Yeah, you can tell by the weight against non-converter five screw carts, but the best way (assuming the person/store selling the games is cool with you doing this) is to look at the pin formation on the board where you insert the cart into the console. I got lucky and got mine in a Gyromite cart in an eBay lot I drunkenly bid on and won.

But yeah, you're probably way better off just getting a Famicom, especially if you get the special chip games I mentioned earlier. Also, nice find on the $5 top loader (which is what I assume model 2 NES means) and what's up fellow top loader owner. :hfive:

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.
Unfortunately there's so many people / stores / scalpers who know about the adapters, so it's quite hard to find them in the wild. On that topic, I have a couple of these, how much do they go for nowadays?

Click To LOSE
Sep 18, 2004

FFFABULOS PRIZESSS

Random Stranger posted:

My guess is Parasol Stars.

...Co-op challenge. Please. The good times that await can not even be counted on digits.

I've played this so much with a friend it's not even funny. Suffice to say we've done the same with the other entries in the series, and even the company's other 2P-at-the-same-time games (really needs to be more outside of them, what with the PS1 even removing the arcade version's feature at times - Night Raid, [even freaking] Raycrisis... - and even sequels having it gone from the get go - Psyvariar 2... - or potential games not having it at all - Border Down, [Any] Thunder Force... -).

There's even additional credits that can be collected. The coin item popping up is going to cause an explanation to pop up that I would have wanted to have learned from. Oddly enough, we only once managed to picked up one that gave you a truckload, then never again (still trying...).

Also, on a side note, I thought the Volfied challenge was the best one online. Seeing someone shooting for 100% was a joy.

Click To LOSE fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Nov 9, 2012

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
Sorry this is a bit late after the post but, I was watching the Balloon Fight episode with Preisdent Iwata and I was wondering if there is something different about the way Arino talks? I imagine it's possible he's just speaking more politely but his accent sounds different too. Or is it just me?

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

retromonk posted:

drat shame. The first Phantasy Star was worlds ahead (heh) of a lot of other RPGs at the time.

I'd like to see Arino's face as he starts hitting the floor traps in the later dungeons. ABUNAI!

I don't think they've ever mentioned the game itself in a bad light, but the "Let's see how bad this obscure console was" segment was pretty damning.

The console flopped, and was quickly taken out back and shot, in order to get the Genesis and Game Gear games onto shelves, There are almost as many Rare games on the NES as there are Master System games released in Japan. I don't think they got over 70.

Japan never got any of the Sonic games, Wonderboy III : Dragon's Trap, Golden Axe Warrior, or any of the Disney games. They got Phantasy Star and.. uh.. yeah.. I think they'll play MSX games before Master System games :{

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

the least weasel posted:

Sorry this is a bit late after the post but, I was watching the Balloon Fight episode with Preisdent Iwata and I was wondering if there is something different about the way Arino talks? I imagine it's possible he's just speaking more politely but his accent sounds different too. Or is it just me?

There are many different dialects in Japan and Iwata and Arino use different ones. I think Arino speaks in Kansai-ben but maybe Osaka-ben? zari-gani will be way better at telling you than me. But yes, different regional accents.

Also I kind of misread and should not post when I'm tired but oh well, it still stands.

Caitlin fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Nov 9, 2012

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Tyma posted:

I think they'll play MSX games before Master System games :{

Oh man I would love to see Arino play Metal Gear 1 or 2

orochi
Oct 9, 2012

/usr/bin/orochi

FireCar posted:

I found one in a hogan's alley cart a while back and the weight was actually one of the first things I noticed. It's subtle, but the difference is definitely there. I still checked the pins to make sure though.

Certainly helps if you have other carts to compare the weight to. There's no way if it was the only cart there I would have been able to tell by the weight.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

the least weasel posted:

Arino does indeed drop most of his Kansai dialect and switch to proper formal speak when interviewing someone because that's the polite, business-like thing to do.

FireCar
Sep 20, 2002

What's this?!

orochi posted:

I found one in a hogan's alley cart a while back and the weight was actually one of the first things I noticed. It's subtle, but the difference is definitely there. I still checked the pins to make sure though.

Certainly helps if you have other carts to compare the weight to. There's no way if it was the only cart there I would have been able to tell by the weight.

I must be a spaz, I've tried feeling the difference, and it wasn't anything I'd be willing to bet money on. Oh well.

And by the different pins, do you mean it has extra pins on the side, or it has more on the board?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

We did it. We won