Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

hahahahaha

Hey! If anyone knows a way we can do reproduction labels at home, I'd love to know. I got some labels that are pretty messed up (this is crazy spergy but I noticed later SNES games' labels were more "papery" and ones released like 1994 and before are more "shiny". The older ones have some sort of protective coat on them, and newer games like DKC2 and Yoshi's Island are the more "papery" feeling ones, thus they have wear (usually at where the end label bends). I'd like to replace those, but every photo I've ever printed with any printer I've tried, I get something that if I get it slightly damp, it will smear the ink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

hahahahaha

Hey! If anyone knows a way we can do reproduction labels at home, I'd love to know. I got some labels that are pretty messed up (this is crazy spergy but I noticed later SNES games' labels were more "papery" and ones released like 1994 and before are more "shiny". The older ones have some sort of protective coat on them, and newer games like DKC2 and Yoshi's Island are the more "papery" feeling ones, thus they have wear (usually at where the end label bends). I'd like to replace those, but every photo I've ever printed with any printer I've tried, I get something that if I get it slightly damp, it will smear the ink.

After you print the label you use one of those sticky laminating sheets and protect the printed side of the label.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

fatpat268 posted:

After you print the label you use one of those sticky laminating sheets and protect the printed side of the label.

So simple, yet, it never occurred to me :frogbon:

Is that how the sites who have awesome reproductions do it? Hell, it how companies like Nintendo do (did) it?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Nintendo had facilities to take care of producing carts, they're not running off labels on their home printers and applying them.

At least I hope they're not.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You were the lucky kid that had both a Nintendo and a Sega/Playstation console at the same time, weren't you? :negative:

Nope, had to wait after I got my NES until the PS1 came out. I wanted both hooked up when I got it but my parents refused.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

So simple, yet, it never occurred to me :frogbon:

Is that how the sites who have awesome reproductions do it? Hell, it how companies like Nintendo do (did) it?

It depends I guess. I'm sure some use high quality photo paper as their labels, and others may just use regular paper labels and laminate them. And perhaps some use a color laser printer.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
People who sell reproductions probably do something like this

http://www.4over4.com/printing/label-printing

If you're buying in bulk you can have it professionally done like this for not too much.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011
Just found this out...

Remember the backlight mod for the original gba, and how you had to order the cable from a guy in china?

Well, looks like someone bought a bunch of the guy's cables, and is repackaging them in a nice little kit WITH the screen. Found this from thecoverproject.net.

http://rosecoloredgaming.wordpress.com/

Supposedly he'll be charging in the neighborhood of ~$60 (fwiw, when I bought directly from the guy in china, the equivalent cost me $55). Totally loving worth it. Seriously. I'll probably buy from him in the future just to avoid having to go through international shipping from china.

fatpat268 fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Nov 9, 2012

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Holy crap, that's awesome! How the hell is he getting the screens in bulk? I can't imagine he's just endlessly gutting 101 model GBA SPs

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011
Beats me. Maybe china had a large stock of ags 101s that never made over here? Haha.

Erluk
Nov 11, 2007

"If you can't beat 'em, STRANGLE 'EM"

triplexpac posted:

Nintendo had facilities to take care of producing carts, they're not running off labels on their home printers and applying them.

At least I hope they're not.

except apparently for the NWC gold cart.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
The crappy papery snes labels were made in Mexico.(Yes, they are official snes carts.)

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Doug Dinsdale posted:

193: The constrictors slithered and bound Asha’s (sp) snug body. Gulp… Sexy…

Thanks. I am still in the stage of learning Japanese where I think I should be able to make out all Katakana because most of them stem from English and I couldn't make out what the hell iroppoi was supposed to stand for. I was expecting to find セクシー somewhere instead. :v:

Katana Gomai fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Nov 9, 2012

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

Hi thread! I'm selling some crappy stuff at SA-MART

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3516554

My rarest game is P'radikus Conflict but nothing else of note, just some 32X and SNES games.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

cosmicjim posted:

The crappy papery snes labels were made in Mexico.(Yes, they are official snes carts.)

Those are the Majesco games that were released after the SNES was already dead; even late 1st party titles made in Japan with the normal label on back still had those crappier labels.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Erluk posted:

except apparently for the NWC gold cart.

Some intern at Nintendo Power/Redmond headquarters probably took care of those. And the result of a sticker and some scissors is one of the most expensive video games.

sandpiper
Jun 1, 2007

hhehehehehe

Finally I got my Sega Saturn recording setup running. Awesome capture card, SCART to component box, Action Replay Plus, et cetera.

I'm actually planning on doing a recorded playthrough of a few games with this thing, and I'm happy the graphical quality is so damned sharp.

(oh by the way I love how this card is specialized for everything from 240p Genesis/ Atari signals which most new gen capture cards poo poo the bed over to HDMI so I can record my 360 too)

As long as I have a SCART cable for the console in question, or it outputs component RGB, then I can record it now.

I'm pretty sure it's not advertising but I'll just throw in my praise of this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007U5MGBE/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00

It's REALLY an amazing capture card for recording "retro consoles". It supports RGB, HDMI and DVI input.

It's also the EXACT SAME CARD as this 300 dollar Micomsoft shmup-specialized Japanese capture card (http://www.micomsoft.co.jp/sc-500n1.htm) but rebranded.

I'm also sure it's been posted about in this thread before but I had to reiterate how awesome it is.

sandpiper fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Nov 10, 2012

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

sandpiper posted:

Finally I got my Sega Saturn recording setup running. Awesome capture card, SCART to component box, Action Replay Plus, et cetera.

I'm actually planning on doing a recorded playthrough of a few games with this thing, and I'm happy the graphical quality is so damned sharp.

(oh by the way I love how this card is specialized for everything from 240p Genesis/ Atari signals which most new gen capture cards poo poo the bed over to HDMI so I can record my 360 too)

As long as I have a SCART cable for the console in question, or it outputs component RGB, then I can record it now.

Which capture card? Looking for one right now.

Edit: missed the edit!

sandpiper
Jun 1, 2007

hhehehehehe

HKR posted:

Which capture card? Looking for one right now.

I edited the post.

It's really an amazing little beauty. 120 dollars to record every single console from the Genesis to the Xbox 360 as long as you've got something like this for non-HDMI/DVI:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004XSSDPO/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00

and I plug my Saturn into it with this from eBay:

http://tinyurl.com/a3kaxek

Also there's a guide to soldering this together with an audio cable so you can also get a sound signal, which I followed:

http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/adding-audio-to-the-cvs287-scart-to-component-converter.157395/

Real easy.

(sidenote: that CVS287 SCART to RGB converter I linked on amazon, that's really the one this guide is meant for. if you want to find the converter box on another site, it's a very popular piece of hardware so it should be easy to google.)

sandpiper fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Nov 10, 2012

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
sandpiper, I am going to add that to the OP. Just out of curiosity, what is with people's fascination with recording gameplay? Hope I don't sound like a dick, I was just genuinely wondering since there's so many devices dedicated to the task.

Also, fatpat268; please let us all know when that site starts shipping those GBA screens!

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

I think I'm having a stroke...
Out of curiosity, how many unfinished/unplayed games do you all own... or would you rather not say? :)

al-azad
May 28, 2009

^^I can't even count them all, let's just say "a lot."

sandpiper, I am going to add that to the OP. Just out of curiosity, what is with people's fascination with recording gameplay? Hope I don't sound like a dick, I was just genuinely wondering since there's so many devices dedicated to the task.

Also, fatpat268; please let us all know when that site starts shipping those GBA screens!

You never recorded yourself playing games? I did that poo poo as a kid all the time. I mainly did it to capture the cool moments from games that you couldn't see again unless you replayed it. Nowadays youtube makes this a moot point.

There are two reasons I can attribute to recording now: people like keeping memories (same reason everyone records their pets, kids, or friends making duck faces) and people like uploading videos. I've got a bunch of recorded Star Fox footage because I have this long retrospective planned.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Vrikkian posted:

Out of curiosity, how many unfinished/unplayed games do you all own... or would you rather not say? :)

According to my Backloggery it is 270, but that is only because I count every game in my compilations.

sandpiper
Jun 1, 2007

hhehehehehe

Well, what I was planning on doing with this is actually possibly doing a Let's Play of a Japanese Sega Saturn game.

There is a PDF containing the translation to the entire game floating around online, but because no one ever bothers to hack a translation into a Saturn game, I plan on including the full translation during this.

The other reason is because I like streaming gameplay to show other people certain things.

al-azad posted:

You never recorded yourself playing games? I did that poo poo as a kid all the time. I mainly did it to capture the cool moments from games that you couldn't see again unless you replayed it. Nowadays youtube makes this a moot point.

Yeah this too. Recording yourself doing hard boss fights and the like.

sandpiper fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Nov 10, 2012

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:

Vrikkian posted:

Tons. Most of what I own, I've never had the chance/time to play.
The oldest unopened game is probably SFC Fire Emblem Thracia 576 (package version) which has been sitting on my living room bookshelf awaiting play for fifteen years and turned retro on me. PS Vagrant Story, several GBA SRWs, GBA Fire Emblems, handheld Zeldas, etc., etc., and the pile keeps growing larger and larger with additions like Ace Attorneys and Laytons...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Vrikkian posted:

Including Steam? Enough that I could lock myself away for two years to play them all and I probably still wouldn't finish.

That's the problem when time is the more precious resource than money. I can spend $20 - $30 a week on gaming and have that pile of games grow five or six times faster than what I have time to play. I do have a rule at this point that I won't spend more than $5 on anything that I do not plan on playing immediately. It hasn't helped.

But I really mean to get around to playing that some time!

Edit: This was one of my rare weeks when I actually got to sit down and play a game for a while. I played almost ten hours of Lego Harry Potter last weekend. Now it's back to working for a few hours before I let myself take a ten minute break again...

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Nov 10, 2012

All New Sonic
Nov 7, 2012

& KNUCKLES
Buglord
Speaking of capture cards: a semi-decent, dirt-cheap alternative to the X-RGB for HDTVs is DScaler and a supported PCI capture card. I use a combination of an ATI TV Wonder Pro for S-Video, and a generic BT848-based card for composite video (since the ATI has issues with older consoles). The program has a wealth of options for tweaking the cards, several different deinterlacing methods, and minimal input lag.

Here's a couple shots of the PlayStation hooked up via S-Video. I can try and get some shots of older composite consoles when I'm back at home:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

sandpiper posted:

Well, what I was planning on doing with this is actually possibly doing a Let's Play of a Japanese Sega Saturn game.

There is a PDF containing the translation to the entire game floating around online, but because no one ever bothers to hack a translation into a Saturn game, I plan on including the full translation during this.

Am I correct in assuming it's Princess Crown?

sandpiper
Jun 1, 2007

hhehehehehe

al-azad posted:

Am I correct in assuming it's Princess Crown?

Yeah, you've got it. I own a copy and there aren't many PDF translations of Saturn games floating around.

Awesomonster
Feb 26, 2008

Because there's always an ending.

For me it isn't so much about recording gameplay as it is about screencasting and playing games for/with my friends who don't live anywhere near me. We do it pretty regularly with retro pc games (I've been trying to make it a weekly thing), and I've done it with my (not recommended) EasyCap and NES games. Its tons of fun and its a lot closer to playing games with your buddies as a kid than you'd think :3:

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Zeether posted:

Mine is probably worth way less because of the crack :( I'm not planning on selling it though because Shenmue owns and you can play Space Harrier in it.

You can replace those multi-disk CD cases easily. They still make those and the old style single CD jewel cases. You just pull them apart by hand and insert whatever you want in there.

I just replaced a few of my cracked cases with newer ones. Nobody can even tell the difference.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

sandpiper posted:

Yeah, you've got it. I own a copy and there aren't many PDF translations of Saturn games floating around.

I did a test post last year of the PSP version. The biggest thing keeping me from doing it is that the main quest is maybe 2/3 of the game. Each side character gets their own quest and AFAIK those haven't been translated and it would have taken me months to do it myself.

sandpiper
Jun 1, 2007

hhehehehehe

I need to do a little disclaimer here, because this seems to happen:

Okay, that CVS287 I recommended? There were two things wrong with it which I had to fix by hand.

1. They color coded the RGB outlets wrong on mine (or wired it wrong) and mixed up 'red' and blue'. Which means you have to switch ports. That's not a big deal, I'm just saying that some people might not even check this.

2. The colors are all hosed up, hardware wise. This is how you fix it.

See those little orange screws my screwdriver is pointing at? You screw with them until your color output is right, these directly affect the signal the converter is outputting.

In the end, you should see something like this:

If the characters have blue skin (which mine did), switch the red and blue cables. If that doesn't fix the colors of whatever signal you're getting, go inside the thing manually and do this.

It's easy to open up, and an even easier thing to do than soldering the audio cables in there.

al-azad posted:

I did a test post last year of the PSP version. The biggest thing keeping me from doing it is that the main quest is maybe 2/3 of the game. Each side character gets their own quest and AFAIK those haven't been translated and it would have taken me months to do it myself.

I could probably manage to do side character quest translations myself if I'm up to it. Hell, I'm translating a game by myself right now with my rudimentary Japanese knowledge and the use of other people, machines, and a dictionary.

Also I'm repulsed at the idea of recording the PSP version because they put those sidebars on it and called it quits. What a lazy port.

sandpiper fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Nov 10, 2012

al-azad
May 28, 2009

sandpiper posted:

I could probably manage to do side character quest translations myself if I'm up to it. Hell, I'm translating a game by myself right now with my rudimentary Japanese knowledge and the use of other people, machines, and a dictionary.

Also I'm repulsed at the idea of the PSP version because they put those sidebars on it and called it quits. What a lazy port.

You can go to the options and turn off the frame. It is a lazy port but it is a Saturn game. The only other option would be rebuild the game from the ground up.

Another thing to watch out for if you're using Adriasang's translation is that he interjects terrible jokes in some of the dialog. Also his translations of the names are spotty. First thing I noticed was the tutorial knight. His in-game romanized name is completely different from the name used in the translation. And I would also suggest changing some of the names in general. Erfran is horrid and a proper localization would probably be something like "Elfran."

I'm making a big deal of this because I like the game and I'm excited as hell for Dragon's Crown. The big translation document is great but it's really rough and I would clean the hell out of it. It's the difference between the PS1 Final Fantasy Tactics and War of the Lions.

sandpiper
Jun 1, 2007

hhehehehehe

al-azad posted:

I'm making a big deal of this because I like the game and I'm excited as hell for Dragon's Crown. The big translation document is great but it's really rough and I would clean the hell out of it. It's the difference between the PS1 Final Fantasy Tactics and War of the Lions.

Well, yeah, it's an awesome game and I somehow scored it off a French guy for a great price with EVERYTHING included, even those little slip things they put into Japanese CD cases. I love the game enough that I'm willing to go through and clean the translation up myself.

Anyway, bottom line, I have a cool setup and the capture card is really cool.

It happens to come with its own drivers/software, which are actually BETTER and easier to deal with than the Micomsoft (the card this is a rebrand of) japanese capture card's. The fact that it supports Genesis 240p perfectly is probably a boon to anyone planning to record gameplay on one with a current generation all-in-one capture card that doesn't want to spend 300 USD on the Micomsoft one.

sandpiper fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Nov 10, 2012

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007

sandpiper posted:

1. They color coded the RGB outlets wrong on mine (or wired it wrong) and mixed up 'red' and blue'. Which means you have to switch ports. That's not a big deal, I'm just saying that some people might not even check this.

Sorry to be that guy but. You're putting RGB into the thing with the SCART cable and get Component (Y, R-Y, B-Y) signals out of it.

To give some information about it and not just being an assburger snide remark or anything:

Y is luminance and gives a black and white picture, R-Y and B-Y are the colour difference for red and blue respectively. Green can be calculated from that and in general takes up around 59% of the total data.
While this is all well and good if you want to store video data and save space I can't really see the point of doing it with continuously generated video since it's just extra processing without any real gains.

Pinguliten fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Nov 10, 2012

sandpiper
Jun 1, 2007

hhehehehehe

Pinguliten posted:

Sorry to be that guy but. You're putting RGB into the thing with the SCART cable and get Component (Y, R-Y, B-Y) signals out of it.

To give some information about it and not just being an assburger snide remark or anything:

Y is luminance and gives a black and white picture, R-Y and B-Y are the colour difference for red and blue respectively. Green can be calculated from that and in general takes up around 59% of the total data.
While this is all well and good if you want to store video data and save space I can't really see the point of doing it with continuously generated video since.

Well either way putting the red cable into the blue outlet and the blue cable into the red outlet fixed my initial major color problems. That's all I know.

Thanks for the info, I'm not an expert or anything. I just fly by the seat of my pants.

sandpiper fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Nov 10, 2012

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007
It's kind of stupid though, how can they let something like that get into manufacturing? I hope someones head was lopped off for that gently caress up.

I'm not sure if this was posted in the other thread, I only read the last 30 pages or so of it but apparently Russia didn't have the NES or famicom over there, they had some semi-licensed thing released as the Dendy over there.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJQr3tnjHlg
This is an amusing Angry video game nerd style documentary about it.

The sentiment I get out of it is taking a swig of beer and saying "chinese faggots" in a depressed voice.

Pinguliten fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Nov 10, 2012

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Vrikkian posted:

With how many games, new and old, are sold for like $5 and under, it's hard to not just treat them like rentals. I've played almost every game I own for at least 15 minutes, but I've not completed at least 95% of them. And I can probably count the number of games I've 100%ed on one hand. gently caress backlogs, I don't have time to try and clear every game I own or else I'd never, ever be able to do anything else with my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Vrikkian posted:

Lots. I think I have a pretty good batting average for finishing games I start (unless I run into a wall, or find it not worth playing).If it's too tedious, I'll even just blow through it on easy. I just jump on a lot of things that I find good deals on because I'll want to play it someday. Which probably comes from being a kid, who had to make sure games lasted, because you might be bored of everything you owned and not even have the dough to rent something that weekend. And if your friends didn't even have anything to borrow...well god help you.

• Locked thread