Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cuntrageous
Jun 6, 2008

Has there been anything on physics affecting individual shots? It was really zany lining up a shot with the bolt action in Far Cry 2 and just having the round laser a zebra in the center of the cross from half a mile away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

As much as I was (and still am) sold on the game itself, those videos are loving awful.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I love openish world manshooter games and the Far Cry and Crysis games suit my needs quite well. Can't wait for Far Cry 3.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."

cuntrageous posted:

Has there been anything on physics affecting individual shots? It was really zany lining up a shot with the bolt action in Far Cry 2 and just having the round laser a zebra in the center of the cross from half a mile away.

I can't find any new bullet physics type tech in looking up the upgraded Dunia engine so I suspect it might be the same hitscan bullets again in that respect.

im a girl btw
Jan 15, 2004

I don't get the hate for FC2, I loved it. I didn't mind respawning checkpoints, if they didn't respawn then driving across the map would have been a lot less interesting and they weren't that hard to clear out anyway. Stealth does work, I initially thought it didn't but then a friend told me you have to keep moving. If you try to sit in one spot taking everyone out then they will find you pretty quickly, but if you move to a new spot every time you kill a dude you're less likely to be spotted.

I can't wait for FC3, the only thing I don't really like so far is that main bad guy seems really cheesy (eg his insanity rant in the first trailer). He might not end up being that bad though and the gameplay looks awesome which is what really matters. I hope when they say there's more side stuff to do, they mean a lot more. My favourite parts of far cry 2 were taking out the radio towers and ambushing convoys but you could complete all of those within a few hours.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Yodzilla posted:

I love openish world manshooter games and the Far Cry and Crysis games suit my needs quite well. Can't wait for Far Cry 3.

You know, this makes me think that, while I enjoyed both Far Cry 2 and Crysis, the reason I like the Far Cry series more than the Crysis series is that you're just a man in Far Cry 2. You've got a dirty Cold War Era assault rifle and a mortar and some improvised explosives. You jam magic health needles into your arm and cauterize your bullet wounds. You're flesh and blood, and there's a very tangible and distinct texture to the game.

By comparison, there was something curiously sterile about Crysis' characters and equipment. It was clear that all of the weapons were made at the same time and by the same person and, then, only to satisfy the generic FPS arsenal (Pistol, Shotgun, Rifle, Sniper Rifle, etc.) There was no effort made to show the possibility that the guns had all come from different times and places; from different manufacturers with different concepts of ergonomics--like you would see in any conflict. It's a small thing, but when one of them is in my face for 100% of the game, it's annoying.

Far Cry 2 felt like you were in a real lovely country being torn apart by an influx of mercenaries and arms dealers from across the world; Crysis felt like you were fighting a battle sponsored by Polymer Guns, Inc.

im a girl btw posted:

I can't wait for FC3, the only thing I don't really like so far is that main bad guy seems really cheesy (eg his insanity rant in the first trailer). He might not end up being that bad though and the gameplay looks awesome which is what really matters. I hope when they say there's more side stuff to do, they mean a lot more. My favourite parts of far cry 2 were taking out the radio towers and ambushing convoys but you could complete all of those within a few hours.

The only thing I felt was kind of cheesy about the FC2 ambush missions was the fact that the "convoy" was just performing an endless quarter-mile loop until you attacked. I always had this guilty sensation, like I was shooting fish in a barrel. I think it would have been a lot more challenging if the missions gave you a pretty good idea of the direction of travel, the paths being taken, and approximately what time the convoy should be passing through. Make you actually think about where to set up an ambush.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Nov 9, 2012

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Yeah I enjoyed that aspect as well. I thought it was actually fun and interesting to treat weapons as these poorly maintained, disposable tools that you would use and discard for other weapons in a pinch.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

fauxical posted:

This kind of looks like a return to style of the original Far Cry and I am definitely happy with that. Far Cry felt like a mess in terms of gameplay and was just unpleasant to play.

So if I'm reading this correctly, you are looking forward to it going back to an unpleasant mess of gameplay? :raise:

im a girl btw
Jan 15, 2004

Junk posted:

So if I'm reading this correctly, you are looking forward to it going back to an unpleasant mess of gameplay? :raise:

Haha, I assumed they meant far cry 2 was the unpleasant mess.
I preferred Far Cry's setting but preferred Far Cry 2's gameplay, this looks like it has both.:

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

im a girl btw posted:

I don't get the hate for FC2, I loved it. I didn't mind respawning checkpoints, if they didn't respawn then driving across the map would have been a lot less interesting and they weren't that hard to clear out anyway. Stealth does work, I initially thought it didn't but then a friend told me you have to keep moving. If you try to sit in one spot taking everyone out then they will find you pretty quickly, but if you move to a new spot every time you kill a dude you're less likely to be spotted.

It wasn't the fact they respawned, it was that everyone was your enemy. Christ guys I'm working for your faction stop shooting at me, or better yet help me out

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Yodzilla posted:

Yeah I enjoyed that aspect as well. I thought it was actually fun and interesting to treat weapons as these poorly maintained, disposable tools that you would use and discard for other weapons in a pinch.

Well if you liked the weapon degradation mechanic I'm sad to say it's been taken out of this one. :(

Farecoal posted:

It wasn't the fact they respawned, it was that everyone was your enemy. Christ guys I'm working for your faction stop shooting at me, or better yet help me out

Yeah, there's that, and I wouldn't have really minded the respawning enemies if it was maybe based on a timer, like "you cleared this outpost, it'll be empty for an hour" or something. Instead it's like, you clear it, then you walk 20 yards away, then suddenly they're all back. That was really annoying.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

You know, this makes me think that, while I enjoyed both Far Cry 2 and Crysis, the reason I like the Far Cry series more than the Crysis series is that you're just a man in Far Cry 2. You've got a dirty Cold War Era assault rifle and a mortar and some improvised explosives. You jam magic health needles into your arm and cauterize your bullet wounds. You're flesh and blood, and there's a very tangible and distinct texture to the game.

By comparison, there was something curiously sterile about Crysis' characters and equipment. It was clear that all of the weapons were made at the same time and by the same person and, then, only to satisfy the generic FPS arsenal (Pistol, Shotgun, Rifle, Sniper Rifle, etc.) There was no effort made to show the possibility that the guns had all come from different times and places; from different manufacturers with different concepts of ergonomics--like you would see in any conflict. It's a small thing, but when one of them is in my face for 100% of the game, it's annoying.

Far Cry 2 felt like you were in a real lovely country being torn apart by an influx of mercenaries and arms dealers from across the world; Crysis felt like you were fighting a battle sponsored by Polymer Guns, Inc.

Far Cry 2 has the unique distinction of being one of my favorite games that I don't like to play. The gameplay, the driving, the shooting enemies- is fun for the first few minutes and quickly becomes tedious. But the weapons are the most tangible feeling weapons of any game I can think of, even topping Killing Floor for me. In an FPS, that's crucial. The first person animations just lent this believability to everything in the game.

They really captured the beauty and pulsing, ambient danger of an African war zone. And while most people actually didn't see the ending because the game was so padded and tedious to play, it has possibly my favorite ending in a video game, even though I think they might have ripped it from Three Kings. Very subtle and low-key way to handle it.

After the ending of FC2, poo poo like the last shot of Black Ops having TONS OF WARSHIPS AND PLANES, AMERICA YO, CHECK OUT THIS SICK GUITAR RIFF is just overbearing.

a bad enough dude
Jun 30, 2007

APPARENTLY NOT A BAD ENOUGH DUDE TO STICK TO ONE THING AT A TIME WHETHER ITS PBPS OR A SHITTY BROWSER GAME THAT I BEG MONEY FOR AND RIPPED FROM TROPICO. ALSO I LET RETARDED UKRANIANS THAT CAN'T PROGRAM AND HAVE 2000 HOURS IN GARRY'S MOD RUN MY SHIT.

Dan Didio posted:

Then don't play a game set in Africa? What is it about Africa that makes you think 'wacky hijinks' exactly?

I just want to massacre impoverished desperate people in wacky third world situations without having their plight shoved down my throat, is that so much to ask!

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

Farecoal posted:

Didn't a developer respond saying there actually was 2 factions modelled into the game and not just npcs who give you missions or something to that extent? was there any truth to that cause all the enemies looked the same to me no matter which side i joined.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

So, what's up with that console multiplayer beta they were supposed to launch? I saw patches for them go live on the PS3 about a week ago but haven't heard anything. Guess it's cancelled?

Cardboard Box posted:

They confirmed that the fire tech from Far Cry 2 is making a return, and there's weapons like flaming arrows this time around, so prepare to set a lot of fires.
Far Cry 3 is Dunia 2 engine which is a newer version of Far Cry 2's Dunia engine. So I would hope so!

Also, been waiting for this one for awhile. :)

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Cardboard Box posted:

Well if you liked the weapon degradation mechanic I'm sad to say it's been taken out of this one. :(

Yeah, there's that, and I wouldn't have really minded the respawning enemies if it was maybe based on a timer, like "you cleared this outpost, it'll be empty for an hour" or something. Instead it's like, you clear it, then you walk 20 yards away, then suddenly they're all back. That was really annoying.

gently caress, you didn't even have to walk away. Sometimes the entire base would respawn as you're finishing killing off the last dude or two. You could watch them pour out of buildings you knew were empty and had no other exit to a minute before. It was a loving joke. FC2 was a deeply flawed game that still had some fun mechanics and promise. I think the kick to the balls for me was the lead designer coming out after all the criticism of the respawning checkpoints, how everyone in Africa wants to kill you all the time, etc and heatedly defending his decisions saying they were all done by intentional design and they had no plans to ever alter it via patches.

Yeah, that was when I knew I'd never be playing it again.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
I loved FarCry 2; the only other game that's been as engrossing and intense has been STALKER. I'm always getting the urge to play, but I never do because I just don't want to put up with all the terrible design decisions and bugs. I was actually going to try to do something like a 100% run after I beat it, but I never finished the last few missions because the NPC was bugged. "One of my favorite games that I don't like to play" describes it perfectly.

I hope they make FC3 something really special. I think I'll miss Africa as a setting, though.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
I have to say I'm pretty pumped about predators being in the game. I wonder if they'll be much of a threat to you/npcs or if it will be relatively easy to deal with them. It seems like sharks might be a pain.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Fizzil posted:

Didn't a developer respond saying there actually was 2 factions modelled into the game and not just npcs who give you missions or something to that extent? was there any truth to that cause all the enemies looked the same to me no matter which side i joined.

That was the original idea, but it was lobotomized before release. I don't know the reason.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

scamtank posted:

That was the original idea, but it was lobotomized before release. I don't know the reason.

Budget and release date pressures I'm sure.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Captain Novolin posted:

I have to say I'm pretty pumped about predators being in the game. I wonder if they'll be much of a threat to you/npcs or if it will be relatively easy to deal with them. It seems like sharks might be a pain.

I think it's a fantastic compromise between Far Cry 1 and 2. In Far Cry 1, the enemy variety was bolstered by a number of ridiculous mutants. The problem, of course, was that they weren't particularly fun to fight. On the other hand, in Far Cry 2, you had the same three locals/mercenaries and, after playing the game for 10 minutes, saw pretty much everything you were ever going to be up against. Far Cry 3 seems to be the best of both worlds: You'll have to predominately deal with other humans, but there's a whole slew of ordinary wildlife (and some domesticated animals) that may or may not want to kill you.

It seemed like a really missed opportunity that Far Cry 2 didn't break up the tedium by sneaking the occasional crocodile or aggressive african buffalo into the mix. For the first few hours, I legitimately thought that they had, and every time I jumped into a murky river, I had an oh poo poo moment of panic, thinking a crocodile might attack me. When I discovered that there weren't any aggressive wildlife, wandering the wilderness lost a lot of its appeal.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

im a girl btw posted:

The thing that made Far Cry 2 get old for me is that I did every single one of the alternative missions which extended the play time to annoying levels. If I ever play through again or someone else plays through, I would tell them to just do the normal missions and forgo the safehouse upgrades because they really weren't worth it.

But this is a coincidence. I have been excited about this game for a while, and I just preordered it today for PC.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

It seemed like a really missed opportunity that Far Cry 2 didn't break up the tedium by sneaking the occasional crocodile or aggressive african buffalo into the mix. For the first few hours, I legitimately thought that they had, and every time I jumped into a murky river, I had an oh poo poo moment of panic, thinking a crocodile might attack me. When I discovered that there weren't any aggressive wildlife, wandering the wilderness lost a lot of its appeal.

It wasn't just animals, I never found ANYTHING in the empty space between points of interest. Seemed like a wasted opportunity to not have things to find that weren't on the map, or even just random patrols you could run into.

KatMan911
Jan 21, 2002
CHEAP FUCKASS. I HAVE NO COMPASSION. IGNORE ME. I AM WORTHLESS.

Vatek posted:

It wasn't just animals, I never found ANYTHING in the empty space between points of interest. Seemed like a wasted opportunity to not have things to find that weren't on the map, or even just random patrols you could run into.
Hah, did you look for diamond briefcases? I did, I spent hours driving around, looking for the bastards. Almost found them all, and then found out that getting all of them gives you sweet-gently caress-all. Not even a cheat menu for fun stuff like unlimited ammo or something. An achievement instead, if you get all diamonds in the game. Talk about artificially padding the playing time.

I agree with the wildlife sentiment - it would've added a lot to the atmosphere. Glad that FarCry 3 is going to have it.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD

KatMan911 posted:

Hah, did you look for diamond briefcases? I did, I spent hours driving around, looking for the bastards. Almost found them all, and then found out that getting all of them gives you sweet-gently caress-all. Not even a cheat menu for fun stuff like unlimited ammo or something. An achievement instead, if you get all diamonds in the game. Talk about artificially padding the playing time.

I agree with the wildlife sentiment - it would've added a lot to the atmosphere. Glad that FarCry 3 is going to have it.

I found a lot of them but I never even finished the game. Got to the second half, realized it was going to more of the same and just never played it again. Didn't feel like I missed out on anything by not finishing it.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

They actually had them in an early build of the game, but they couldn't stop predators from wiping the floor with the other enemies so they had to drop them, I still hope I run across a checkpoint or something with a bunch of dead bodies and a tiger.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
I was more surprised that they didn't add any heavy vehicles like tanks or helicopters to the mixture. They would have made for some interesting situations regarding how to deal with a T-55 using nothing but stealth and Molotovs.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah, the jeeps lost their teeth when you realized how easy it was to put half a magazine through the windshield and kill both the driver and the gunner. The compact cars were especially laughable: Some pathetic worm comes to a skidding halt and performs a three-point-turn so he can chase you down, park his car, and get out of his vehicle. I don't think I've ever had a driver get past the three-point-turn without dying.

An MI-24 Hind or an old Soviet tank? That might have been a little different!

im a girl btw
Jan 15, 2004

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Yeah, the jeeps lost their teeth when you realized how easy it was to put half a magazine through the windshield and kill both the driver and the gunner. The compact cars were especially laughable: Some pathetic worm comes to a skidding halt and performs a three-point-turn so he can chase you down, park his car, and get out of his vehicle. I don't think I've ever had a driver get past the three-point-turn without dying.

Especially when you were also in a jeep. You could speed through a checkpoint, jump in the gunner position, turn around and ruin anyone who followed you. Even if there was a jeep coming at you from the front you could usually jump in the gun and kill the driver and gunner before they had a chance to get a shot off.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
For nostalgia sake I dug up my Far Cry 1 discs and reinstalled it. It's still fun, but goddamn I wish I could do something about the draw distances. Are there any definitive graphics mods for Far Cry 1?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
For all its faults, I loved FC2. It had a terrific sense of place, and I'd sometimes take a detour between missions just to find a good spot to watch the sunset. The map editor was also fantastic; it's a shame that most of the highest-rated maps created by it were lazy, lovely snipe-fests, but that's more the fault of the players than the game.

Hopefully FC3 won't go too overboard with the scripted sequences (like the burning building in the early videos) - what I enjoyed about FC2 over any bullshit whack-a-mole shooter like COD or Battlefield was being able to approach a mission in any way and from any direction I fancied. Cut to shreds by guards? Then climb a hill and use an RPG to take out a fuel tanker from half a mile away. Or go Mad Max and charge through their camp in a jeep to mow half of them down, then turn round, rig it with C4 and bail out just before it careens into the survivors and explodes. :haw:

There'd better be an equivalent of the dart rifle in the new game, though. Those fuckers in the Post Office? Sweet dreams, scumbags.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Junk posted:

For nostalgia sake I dug up my Far Cry 1 discs and reinstalled it. It's still fun, but goddamn I wish I could do something about the draw distances. Are there any definitive graphics mods for Far Cry 1?

The "definitive" Far Cry mod is FCAM. It makes the game pretty and does things like make it so AI can't see you through tents.

Banjo Bones
Mar 28, 2003

Far Cry is the most disjointed franchise ever. None of the subsequent games have anything to do with each other, besides being in big outdoor environments. I know the first one had a cardboard thin cheesy plot involving mutants on a psuedo island of Dr. Moreau. But it still worked, damnit! The whole treating malaria and finding diamonds in Far Cry 2 was so far and away from 1, while still being very video-gamey, did not work at all. That said, despite this one being another story line that has nothing to do with the other two, looks good. I just want back the whole approaching an enemy camp from half a kilometer; observing patrols through your binoculars and then shooting the lock off a cage full of mutants that go on to kill everything.

Ace Oliveira
Dec 27, 2009

"I wonder if there is beer on the sun."

bromplicated posted:

I just want back the whole approaching an enemy camp from half a kilometer; observing patrols through your binoculars and then shooting the lock off a cage full of mutants that go on to kill everything.

One of the videos in the OP has the player shooting the lock of a cage with a tiger inside it, letting him loose on the enemy. If the game has other scenarios like that, it's gonna be way too much fun.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

I'm planning to jump right in and make modding happen from the get-go now that I have a codebase that'll very likely be adaptable to Far Cry 3 since it uses a newer version of Dunia. :woop:

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Was trying to find some more info on the game and came across a GameTrailers preview that explains how some of the systems work, particularly character progression, which is apparently tied to the tattoos your character gets throughout the game. Weird.

I'm really interested in seeing something more about the guns, myself. Footage primarily has shown a bow, a revolver, an AK-47, an MP5 and a shotgun. I hope there's a lot more different kinds!

EDIT: And this video explains the progression system even more! Looks neat.

Cardboard Box fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Nov 16, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

gibbed posted:

I'm planning to jump right in and make modding happen from the get-go now that I have a codebase that'll very likely be adaptable to Far Cry 3 since it uses a newer version of Dunia. :woop:

This should honestly be a selling point used when marketing the game :swoon:

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Here's a short video they just recently put out talking about the environment and ecosystem of the island. Not much we didn't already know, but there's a couple weapons we haven't seen and it sure looks pretty.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Cardboard Box posted:

Here's a short video they just recently put out talking about the environment and ecosystem of the island. Not much we didn't already know, but there's a couple weapons we haven't seen and it sure looks pretty.
Crocodile! :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

I am so excited to punch sharks in the face.

• Locked thread