Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Vrikkian posted:

Out of curiosity, how many unfinished/unplayed games do you all own... or would you rather not say? :)

A buuuuuuunch. I should really turn my .rtf file of unbeaten games into a backloggery page or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I had no idea this thread was also for retro file formats too :smug:

Which system has it worst when it comes to having to wade through a fuckton of sports games to find anything half decent? I imagine PS2 and the others of its generation is bad purely on the [i]units sold[i/], but man oh man does it seem like the Genesis simply has a higher percentage of unique titles as sports games. Stupid sports games. :argh:

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

The Orange Mage posted:

I had no idea this thread was also for retro file formats too :smug:

to be fair the file is pretty retro as well

Space Harrier
Apr 19, 2007
GET READY!!!!
I think the discussion of retro hardware modifications is interesting, but it's overwhelming the thread. Why not make a separate thread for building the perfect TG-16 and have another for random old game discussion?

scrub lover
Apr 22, 2005
A thousand times yes

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Retro hardware modification is an integral part of retro megathread discussion. I haven't seen much game discussion apart from reactions to the OP's game recommendations. Personally I love reading everything in these threads, even if my input to mod discussion is minimal.

As for backlog, I've pretty much given up already. :shobon:

I've accepted the fact I like collecting way more than I like playing games. To me, it's important to be able to recognize the characteristics of a game that make it good/bad/lovely/unique and why. Then I play the game enough to get personal feel to it. If the game is interesting enough I might even play it through though I don't obsess with completing games exactly for above reasons. A big part of my collecting is that I don't collect for nostalgia, just for interesting - good or lovely - games.

To me, game collecting is creating a reference library. I love the idea of having friends over and we're discussing games and I can just whip out the old game we're discussing and be playing it immediately. Once I finally move out of a student dorm to an actual apartment or so I'll finally get to organize my library into something manageable.

sandpiper
Jun 1, 2007

hhehehehehe

In my case, I really, really like collecting too, but only of games I actually love enough to play regularly/100%.

It's why I feel bad about keeping around games I don't like that much - I can't bring myself to get rid of them but I don't feel like they're worthy of being on the same shelf as something else.

For example, Mass Effect 3 and Ys Seven: Limited Edition. I dislike the former greatly for obvious reasons, and the only thing I really do with it anymore is play multiplayer with friends, but I treasure every Ys game I own as if it were a golden trophy, as a Ys fan.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

jyrque posted:

Retro hardware modification is an integral part of retro megathread discussion. I haven't seen much game discussion apart from reactions to the OP's game recommendations. Personally I love reading everything in these threads, even if my input to mod discussion is minimal.

I don't collect, watch or play retro games games at all, I just think it's a fascinating subject to read about, and the modding discussion really seems to add to the quality of the thread. It seems like a huge part of the fun of collecting, and I'd hate to lose that from the thread :{

welp
Nov 3, 2007

DEAR GOD
Another vote to keep hardware discussion. It's like 80% of the thread!

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, both subjects can fit in this thread, what's stopping actual game discussion from happening? I'll tell you what, it's not posting about it! So post about it!

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm pretty sure hardware discussion was 80% of the last thread.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
I'm kinda mixed about splitting up the thread between hardware and software.

On one hand, this is the retro gaming thread and I think it's good to have everything hardware and software related in one place in case if anyone has questions about which version of a system to buy and which cheap games are worth getting since they go together.

But, the hardware discussion has taken over quite a bit and it would be nice to discuss the actual games (like recommendations, strategy, etc) as well as show off cheap yard sale/thrift store/eBay finds since that's what I'm more interested in rather than talking about trying to make an SNES or Genesis look great on a modern LCD HDTV (which I know is important to people who don't want to haul a big rear end CRT home from a thrift store, but it's not everybody's thing when they want to talk about retro games).

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
It's the Retro Gaming Thread so talk about whatever you want concerning retro games. The conversation will ebb and flow as people will it.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Hardware chat is interesting and also makes up most of the discussion, leave it here, feel free to talk about games also!

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007
I haven't cleared even five percent of my games I think. Heh, I got over 170 saturn titles I think And I've cleared about 15-20 of those I think which is a higher percentage than for my other systems.

Anyways, to have us talk about other things than hardware I guess I can write a bit.
Well I've talked a little about Valis IV and Götzendiener. Let's see if I can find something else in the collection that might tickle anyones fancy.

Assault suit Leynos 2.

It's a great saturn game in which you pilot one of these little cuties:

It's a continuation of Assault suit Valken (cybernator or whatever the english name was) for the snes and Assault suit Leynos for the Genesis.
It's a massive graphical update compared to the other games and the gameplay is also quite different. It's so more advance that it actually suffers a bit from it since there are so many different things you can do in the game and you really ought to have another stick to make it more easily controllable. You can walk, turn, glide, jump, aim up and down, target enemies, fire weapons, switch between them, block etc.
Mind you it's perfectly workable and as you see in the video below it's fluid. It does take some getting used to though.

You can set up your mech to have several different weapon and defensive load outs. I can't remember how much but I think you could have at least four different weapon systems that you can use in a mission.

Missions range from the first mission where you take out a big boss tank,

to scaling and assaulting a mountain base, to death matchs against other suits and even assaulting things in space.

Stages are quite short but hectic and once you clear the game there is a second, harder lap you can play with the weapons you've unlocked.

Here is a video of a competent player playing the first stage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxpLi7k0FVQ

And if you want something else here you have a scantly clad Japanese chick holding a famicom:

And a here we have a lot of arcade games! I think it's samurai spirits 5 on that cabinet and it appears to be a Konami GX board. The more observant, or less damaged people might also notice the girl in the bikini.

edit: I wonder if she's looking disinterested or just yearning for a particular PCB in that case to her left.

Pinguliten fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Nov 10, 2012

Awesomonster
Feb 26, 2008

Because there's always an ending.
Yeah, I don't really read the hardware modding stuff (mainly because I only have so much room in my brain for learnin' and its already filled with shareware from 1995 like a 2000 Games! cd) but I feel like this thread would be empty without it. It's just as much a part of retro gaming as the software is.

Besides, who wants to miss Hamburglar's inevitable descent back into madness when he tries permanently fix a TG-CD and finds that it only works on the first run of them or something :allears:

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
The only system where I've actually played a majority of the games (not including consoles like VB/Neo Geo Pocket that had a tiny library) is Dreamcast, not including any sports titles. I tend to ignore most American only release titles though since they tend to be sports/movie games.

I have no idea what percentage of released titles I've played or anything like that, but still definitely the Dreamcast. The SNES comes in second place, but I've beaten so few games for that (I've beaten EarthBound at least once a year since I got it though). My problem is that I usually play about a third of most RPGs because I rarely am invested enough to actually finish the whole thing, plus the vast majority of my gaming consists of Street Fighter/shmups/games you can beat relatively quickly like Jet Grind Radio or Bangai-O/Tetris Attack. That tends to be true of most of my games collection as well, which is kind of sparse compared to others in this thread.

e: If anyone has a spare Playstation S-Video cable I would be more than happy to send you $$$ or something fun in trade for one. I can't wait to have PS1 in my collection again :toot: and I'm :swoon: about being able to play Space Griffon VF-9 with readable text. Same with an extra grey PS controller.

Bing the Noize fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Nov 10, 2012

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Awesomonster posted:

Besides, who wants to miss Hamburglar's inevitable descent back into madness when he tries permanently fix a TG-CD and finds that it only works on the first run of them or something :allears:

That's just silly. I'll wager that his next descent into madness is trying to mod an Atari Jaguar CD into something that isn't an utter piece of poo poo.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Speaking of hardware near-impossibilities, has that one guy's attempt to create a Sega Neptune-like uber-Genesis gone anywhere?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

So who else keeps a chart of retro games they want to remember to buy, color coded according to how much it's going to cost them? Mine's actually for import only titles since I need to be somewhat organized when there's so much to get that just isn't available here. Every time I hear about or remember something that sounds neat that I want to get I add it to the chart and color it depending on if it will cost me under $10, between $10 and $20, and over $20. I should probably add a fourth color for "Don't be stupid".

Also, I've been thinking about retro remakes lately. Not the current ones, the last time they got big when Hasbro and a few other companies were reviving all of the old arcade properties at the tail end of the 90's. I've become kind of perversely curious about them since I know that it was a lot like it is now; a few clever reworkings of the classic concept and a lot of attempts that didn't work out so well. I know Pong was actually a good one and that Frogger was at least popular but I'm not sure on the rest. Here's a brief list from what I can remember:

Pong
Frogger
Asteroids
Centipede
Breakout
Missile Command
Galaga
Space Invaders
Q*Bert

It's funny that these retro remakes are now retro themselves...

For those interested in retro remakes I found out that Amazon has the PSP version of Final Fantasy 2 for $5.25. Presumably because that's the one Final Fantasy game nobody wants.

Edit: Oh god, I'm screwed. For everyone's favorite pushing the boundary of the retro definition system, the PS2, I just found an obscene deal. You might remember that Gamestop has been trying to dump their PS2 games and did a bit of it last month. Well they've apparently pulled in a lot of their store stock to their warehouse, marked it all way down, and are offering buy 2 get 2 free on their website.

Fair warning, the way they structure it if you get four $3 games and four $2 games they only take off the price of the $2 games. However there's 250 games priced at $2 aka $1 a game after the discount. And there's another 250 games priced under $4. Unfortunately this includes a lot of semi-obscure but interesting sounding games that I've kind of wanted to get which means I now have a massive order.

All I wanted was Nightmare of Druaga for a couple of bucks! :cry:

Edit2: Goddamn, there are some real steals as they attempt to dump their stock. I paid good money for King's Field: The Ancient City a few months ago and there it is for $2 after the discount. And free shipping since I don't need a crate of games showing up on my doorstep immediately.

And I just realized that it's orders over $10 that can get free shipping so the next four $4 games I pick out are free. Somebody help me! Scratch that. I don't know how I got free shipping on my sixteen $1 games....

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Nov 10, 2012

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Random Stranger posted:

So who else keeps a chart of retro games they want to remember to buy, color coded according to how much it's going to cost them? Mine's actually for import only titles since I need to be somewhat organized when there's so much to get that just isn't available here. Every time I hear about or remember something that sounds neat that I want to get I add it to the chart and color it depending on if it will cost me under $10, between $10 and $20, and over $20. I should probably add a fourth color for "Don't be stupid".

I actually do keep a list of retro games I want to buy. I don't note the prices, just that when I see one that looks interesting I look it up a bit and add it to the list for when I have some disposable income.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
I made a list of the games I wanted, then put the low end market value by them, so I knew to buy them when it was less than that. Accidentally buying games over market value would drive me nuts.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

sandpiper posted:

In my case, I really, really like collecting too, but only of games I actually love enough to play regularly/100%.

It's why I feel bad about keeping around games I don't like that much - I can't bring myself to get rid of them but I don't feel like they're worthy of being on the same shelf as something else.

For example, Mass Effect 3 and Ys Seven: Limited Edition. I dislike the former greatly for obvious reasons, and the only thing I really do with it anymore is play multiplayer with friends, but I treasure every Ys game I own as if it were a golden trophy, as a Ys fan.

Speaking of Ys, the first game's bosses seem specifically designed to make me want to smash the game to bits. Which is a shame because I do like the game otherwise. If I move on I also own 6&7. Which do you recommend next?

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007
If you like the Ys series you can always move on to the legend of heroes series I guess, another great series released by Falcom.
I've always like the legend of heroes IV opening: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ov46WMHD6I
The music in this game is phenomenal at times: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yvKZvh67T4

Pinguliten fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Nov 10, 2012

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
So I've got about two book cases worth of Art books relating to games. This one shelf's worth I have to move to another shelf to make room for more games. That and Also the weight of the books cracked the shelf they were on.

But yeah the ones there are God of War II, Gungrave, Ikaruga, Halo 3, that big book is not an art book but the Kiss Kompendium which was only on that shelf because it was so huge, Okami(the one put out by Clover Studios itself), Valkyria Chronicles, Ace Attourney, Darkstalkers, and Shitload of Street Fighter, and Bioshock II. These's also some for some Saturn Era Japanese exclusive games.

They were much cheaper/easier to aquire back when there was numerious import bookstores near me. But the economy killed all those stores.

Vaerai Archon fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Nov 10, 2012

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Please tell me the GunGrave artbook covers the anime and sequel as well, because there's no way in hell the first game had enough assets to warrant a book that thick :psyduck:. (Incidentally, as basic as it was, I still enjoy that game)

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Nov 10, 2012

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Please tell me the GunGrave artbook covers the anime and sequel as well, because there's no way in hell the first game had enough assets to warrant a book that thick :psyduck:. (Incidentally, asbasic as it was, I still enjoy that game)

Yes it also covers just the games. There was a surprising ammount of stuff that was cut. However their vehicle diagrams were very intricate.

I've used most of these books for references when I use the Autodesk programs for 3d Modeling.

*edit*
Looking through the Gungrave book again it's literally just the two games. There's another book that covers the anime. However that's another volume.

Vaerai Archon fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Nov 10, 2012

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007

Vaerai Archon posted:

So I've got about two book cases worth of Art books relating to games.

Heh, a lot better than what I've got. I only got these:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I don't have many video game related art books but my personal favorite is Miyazaki's Daydream Note... which isn't even video game related but I like to pretend it's the Metal Slug artbook.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I don't have any cool videogame artbooks, just some of the crappy promo ones I got for free for preordering certain games. :(

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
So yeah I stand corrected on the Gungrave Book, it only mentions the anime briefly. Literally the entire book is on the game. Mostly because it has pages and pages of this:

It's probably more indepth than it has any right to be. But I must confess I've never played either game and only have seen three episodes of the anime.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Rocketbilly Redcadillac. Nice.

sandpiper
Jun 1, 2007

hhehehehehe

Ambitious Spider posted:

Speaking of Ys, the first game's bosses seem specifically designed to make me want to smash the game to bits. Which is a shame because I do like the game otherwise. If I move on I also own 6&7. Which do you recommend next?

Ys: Oath in Felghana, the remake of 3, is available on Steam. It's a very good game running on the Napishtim engine. One of the best, actually. There's also Ys: Origins, which is even more enjoyable if you've played Ys I and II (it's a 700 years prior prequel that is made WAY more awesome by seeing little recurring things and places from the Vanished arc).

Ys Celceta, the remake of 4 that is the first time Falcom has actually made a version of 4 itself, is coming for Vita soon, but I dunno about that.

All in all, my favorites are I, Oath in Felghana, Origins, Seven and Ys 4: Dawn of Ys for the PC Engine.

The PSP port of I and II, Ys I & II Chronicles (which in turn is a port of Ys I and II Complete for PC), is particularly amazing because it looks SO DAMNED GOOD on top of having a complete instrumental soundtrack at last. Ys II in the Chronicles edition is a goddamned marvel - how many 2D pixel games have that level of loving dynamic lighting?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q31vNRkR1j8&t=2469s

Seriously, check that poo poo out.

Pinguliten posted:

If you like the Ys series you can always move on to the legend of heroes series I guess, another great series released by Falcom.
I've always like the legend of heroes IV opening: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ov46WMHD6I
The music in this game is phenomenal at times: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yvKZvh67T4

The Trails in the Sky trilogy (aka Legend of Heroes 6) is also a favorite of mine, personally. Second Chapter has been fully translated IIRC but XSEED basically sold no copies of the first chapter, and yes, I bought the premium edition UMD, so I don't know if it will ever get a physical copy. I hope it does. However, it's a 2 UMD game so it's enormous and in Japan it just got a PSN release (and is Vita compatible) so maybe we'll see SC soon!

sandpiper fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Nov 10, 2012

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Trip report! So I was at the Retrobörse in Bochum, Germany today and while it was pretty much what I expected (picture the commons of a dorm stuffed with people trying to sell old video games), the prices were pretty ridiculous and that means this was the last time I went there. Now I get that stuff costs more when you go to these events and I absolutely don't mind paying for the benefit of seeing the item in person first; however, when I say ridiculous, I mean "60€ for a cartridge only Kirby Superstar that you can get for 25€ on eBay" ridiculous.

This was made all the worse by the fact that I collect boxed and the salespeople there marked those up even more. I could live with that, if their poo poo at least was in good shape, but except for one guy's booth, most of the boxed games were just as hosed up as if I got them online. At least that guy's games really did look nice though, and he charged reasonable prices so I got these for 40€:

I'd rate all of those at Near Mint so I am satisfied. Still, considering that they even charged admission (5€), I'll take my money elsewhere when it rolls around again in half a year.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Today I'm going around to all the thrift stores to hunt for games. My rules are pretty simple as to what I buy:

Games: $5 max per title, only going over if I know the game fetches more and I really want it. Titles I have zero interest in have to be around $1-3 for me to pick them up to use for trading/modding purposes. Disc based games need to be in good condition and have their case.

Controllers/accessories: If I already have a complete set of working controllers for a system I'll usually skip em, unless they're so cheap I know I can use them for trade. Still on the lookout for good N64, DC, SNES, AES, Saturn and GC Wavebirds along with arcade sticks for all systems. No more then $10 for these usually.

Systems: If I have it already it has to be dirt cheap ($10) and I have to know I can trade it/mod it for some purpose. Since I have most common systems right now I'm willing to spend a little more for stuff to fill out my collection, like TurboGrafx/PC Engine, Jaguar/3DO/CDI, and Sega CD.

Handhelds: I usually skip em though I'm becoming more interested in some.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Goddamnit, Gamestop keeps telling me my billing address don't match when I have already called my bank and verified that yes, I am tying the drat address in correctly and Gamestop is being retarded. Just take my drat money, you wankers!

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
It looks like none of the Gamestop sales games are confirmed to come with their original packaging.

Which means a trip to staples is in order.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Pinguliten posted:

Assault suit Leynos 2.
This game looks really neat. The Saturn got some interesting games. It honestly kind of reminds me of Front Mission: Gun Hazard. Then there's Assault Suits Valken 2 which looks kind of like a Front Mission SRPG.

I basically love mecha games.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

HKR posted:

Today I'm going around to all the thrift stores to hunt for games. My rules are pretty simple as to what I buy:

I went to the thrift store today and dropped 2 bucks on a sealed Sly 2 and a Namco Museum Volume 3, sans front of the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Random Stranger posted:

Also, I've been thinking about retro remakes lately. Not the current ones, the last time they got big when Hasbro and a few other companies were reviving all of the old arcade properties at the tail end of the 90's. I've become kind of perversely curious about them since I know that it was a lot like it is now; a few clever reworkings of the classic concept and a lot of attempts that didn't work out so well. I know Pong was actually a good one and that Frogger was at least popular but I'm not sure on the rest. Here's a brief list from what I can remember:

Pong
Frogger
Asteroids
Centipede
Breakout
Missile Command
Galaga
Space Invaders
Q*Bert

It's funny that these retro remakes are now retro themselves...

Combat, Dig Dug Deeper, Sinistar Unleashed (all three on PC), and Defender (a bit later on consoles) all sort of came out of this as well. My computer was not powerful enough to handle Sinistar, really, but what little I did play of it pretty much demands a flight stick since it's in full 3D. Even then it's apparently pretty hard. Combat's an alright game from what I played, and I don't own Dig Dug or Defender but hear that Dig Dug Deeper is poo poo and Defender is actually decent.

• Locked thread